View Full Version : Buying my first pair of skates--any advice?

countrakoczy
08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a new adult skater (I don't think I can even call myself that yet :??) and I'm contemplating buying my own pair of skates. I've wanted to be a figure skater since I was a wee little lass, but life happens, so I've only very recently had the opportunity to take lessons in some form. I recently took a 4-week "Never Too Late To skate" class subsidized by my city's Parks & Rec program. The P&R class seemed mostly like a sampler meant to show us what we could learn if we signed up for full lessons with the rink--we weren't tested for competence and the skills we were taught didn't seem to follow either USFSA or ISI LTS curriculum. Prior to this, I was in a mixed-level adult skating club for a month that occasionally had trainer supervision--but I didn't learn too much there since there were 15+ adults to 1 coach, usually (this was in Denmark, not in the US, where I now live). I intend to follow up the P&R class with the progression of Adult LTS group classes offered at the rink.

My question is whether it is worth it to get my own figure skates at this point, or wait until I gain a certain level of competence before making an investment. I've never been seriously involved in a sport activity in my life, but at the same time I've never felt as excited to get off the couch for anything besides skating and that this could be the activity for me. Right now I'm still in the process of working on primarily on crossovers, though in the far off future I know I'd want to at least give testing and competing a go someday. I thought I'd stick with rentals throughout at least the full adult beginner class sequence, but I'm moving closer to a rink that doesn't bundle rentals with lessons. I've also recently had some bad "oopsies" with rentals--last practice, I fell face first due to receiving a rental skate with severely nicked blades near the toepick area. I know falls are a natural part of learning to skate but I felt like that could've been avoided if I had equipment I feel like I can trust.

I went to the pro shop at the rink where I take the P&R class. The skate fitter (also an adult skater) had a discussion with me about what my skating goals were--I felt rather silly confessing that I wanted to attempt single jumps someday even though I still can't do a consistent, acceptable CW forward crossover--and after what seemed like almost an hour of rulers and trying things on, recommended the Riedell 255TS. At first she had me try on the 910LS but said she personally didn't like the boot and that it is probably too heavy and stiff for my build and current skill level (I'm 5'2" and around 95-100 lbs). She told me that it should be around $260 pre-tax if I decided to go with the 255TS and that a blade sharpening/toebox adjustment/waterproofing would be included. I'm currently just a poor college student right now so cost is a big consideration for me me, but the quoted price seems on par with the going price for this model online and elsewhere so I think it might be a pretty good deal. She told me to take some time to think it over as the shop has to order that particular model in my size and it could take a week.

Sorry for the tl;dr, but any thoughts? Should I buy my own skates right now, or wait until I get "better"? Is the Riedell 255TS a good model for someone with my goals? Prior to going to the pro shop I snooped around online for figure skates and came to the conclusion that I wanted Jackson Freestyles (they seemed like a good value, and less expensive than the 255TS) but the fitter told me that my feet were better suited for Riedells since they are really narrow, and also offered her feet up as an example of what happens when you skate on too wide of a boot. I have no experience with skates really aside from the rentals at the rink (Risport Stars) and the ones assigned to me at my old skating club (Graf Bristols, but I think they only make this model in Europe). I plan to go back to the pro shop tomorrow or some time next week--are there any questions that I should ask the fitter about the skates or other models that might work for me?

I hope to hear from all of you soon! :)

dbny
08-06-2010, 08:54 PM
You do not need such an expensive skate, and the Jackson Freestyle is probably going to be too stiff for you at this time. My favorite skate for beginners is the Jackson SoftSkate ($60), but if you have very narrow feet, that will not work for you. I suggest you try on a mid level Riedell recreational skate. Something around $150. Such skates will get you through the Adult Basic Skills levels, while giving you time to save up for better skates. Also, try a different pro shop just to get another opinion. Some shops have a stake in pushing one brand over others.

flo
08-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Hi,
Welcome. I'd get a pair of skates now. You may also want to see if your rink has a used skate sale - you may be able to get a nice pair there for a good price. Just have someone help you pick the right level and make sure they still have some life in them.
Enjoy!

Sessy
08-07-2010, 03:39 AM
Yeah get skates now :)

Jackson freestyle will probably inhibit you learning a good kneebend because it's stiff. :??

See about Graf Davos or Graf Bolero, Jacksons mystique, that kinda thing. Risport Etoile is also a beginners model (although lots stiffer than Davos) and Edea, Harlick, GAM, Riedell and SP Teri also have beginner models. Also, my first skates were by Pro-Star and they were actually ok to start with, but not good enough for one-foot-spins.

See if you can find a pair of Risport Etoile or Graf Davos or Bolero or Jacksons mystique (I think marquis would do too? Not sure) used off ebay or something, it'll be at least a third cheaper than buying new and once you re-sell them you'll lose only a small portion of the price you paid on them (provided you either tape the boots or wear boot covers each time you skate to prevent scratches!), unlike if you buy new (new skates are like new cars, you lose a quarter of the value just taking them out of the shop). :) Don't just get any random brand of skates off ebay though, a lot of skates there are from toy stores and such and they just suck - if you have doubts, come back and ask us about a skating brand and model! :)

And keep in mind you'll want to change skates once you get a little bit of skating going and start doing waltz jump (forward take off, half a revolution in the air) or trying 1-foot-spins, unless you go with the Risport option, then you can keep at it for a bit longer. If you want to not have to change your skates at that point, get the Risport Etoile or RF4 - it'll take you through a lot of your single jumps. I weigh over 60 kilo's and I only broke my Etoile down doing the lutz and trying the axel, and RF4 will last even a bit longer. It will also be a bit harder to break in. You can consider Graf Prestige too btw if you're going that route. IF you have experience with the Graf models you can just order the size you liked off the internet y'know. Anyhow Graf & Jackson vs Risport vs Edea vs Riedell etc have very different foot shapes that they're made for, you'll have to try them on to find out which is best for you (Graf and Jackson seem to have a similar foot shape from what I could tell, although I've not skated in Jacksons, only tried them on).

Graf Bristol is a pretty advanced model from what I saw of it (about like Graf Richmond from what I saw, I never tried them on since I'd already bought my Grafs by then, but pretty sure I've got a good idea of the model). If you've never skated you're *never* going to break those in, don't even think about it (yes yes I know I broke in an advanced Graf model without jumping, but I had a good kneebend by then - beginners don't yet). A skating shop is interested in selling you the most expensive skates they can sometimes, like they did with my mom. She couldn't even do 3-turns on her skates and they sold her skates for double jumps. She quit skating cuz of it. Don't fall for that...

You'll notice I"m not discussing Riedell or anything - that's because I've never seen a skate of theirs for real in my life, they're not sold here (same for Harlick, Gam, etc). A lot of people at my rink are in Edea - but they're for very wide feet, and mine are narrow, so I don't know about the skate either beyond that they do have a good beginner model (Preludio or Overture or Tempo? not sure how the stiffness rates on those) and people say they're very comfortable skates.

So a lot depends on your foot really, what the shape is.

Isk8NYC
08-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Buy your own skates; the Riedell 255TS's are fine for the next year or so. Rental skates are used and abused, rarely being sharpened properly. You can keep your own skates in good condition and they'll mold to fit your feet.

Skates are the only piece of equipment required, plus you've mastered some of the basics already. For adults, good skates are an even better investment since they won't be outgrown quickly. While there is a risk of "overbooting" or "overblading," it's usually only for a short period with a determined adult.

While Risport, Graf and GAM skates are available, not every pro shop carries those brands in the US, making them less common than Jackson and Riedell. If you really *loved* the skates you wore in Europe, you could ask about ordering them, but it doesn't sound like you were that impressed with them.

I think your fitter knows the score. It is true that Riedell skates run more narrow than Jacksons; the sizing is different between the two brands. I measure a full size larger and two sizes wider in Riedells. That's why the two companies have different measuring tools for their dealers.

I have students in both the 255TS and the Jackson Freestyle with stock blades. The two skates are comparable, although the Ultima Mark IV blade on the Jackson Freestyle skate is slightly better, imo. (Better steel, more chrome, larger toepicks.)

I was looking at the 910LS skate last month. While it is really stiff, the lining seems too cushioned to provide control and it's cut way down in the back. I think it would be great for low-level synchro, moves or dance, but I prefer the 255TS for freestyle skating, which is your intent. (Entirely my opinion, no scientific reviews intended.)

I like both the 255TS and the Freestyle because of the all-leather sole. As your skills grow, you can upgrade the blade at a later point. Some pro shops won't replace or move blades on a PVC-bottomed skate like the less-expensive 133RS.

The 255TS comes with either a Topaz or a Onyx blade. They're about the same, with the Onyx being slightly better. The blades will be fine for learning the rest of the basics and the initial one-foot spins and jumps. I'd suggest changing them when you start working on sit spins and loops. At that point, you'll need a better blade.

The 255TS boots are heat-moldable, but not every shop does heat-molding. I think the price of $260 for the boot-and-blade set, including blade sharpening/toebox adjustment/waterproofing is a good buy. The average retail I've seen is $285 online, and that doesn't include the shipping or any of the services you've cited.

If you're serious about learning to do jumps and spins, I'd lean away from the USFSA Adult LTS program and take the regular Basic 1-8/Freeskate 1-6 classes if possible. The adult track packs too much into each level and there are some gaps that make freestyle skating more difficult. A good instructor will fill in the gaps, but with group lessons, you don't always get the best instructors on the adult classes. Some coaches don't like to challenge adults, believing that they all want to do dance or moves.

It is possible that the rink has its own, homegrown LTS program, so ask for a copy of their curriculum to see which track is better for your freestyle goal.

Query
08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I think you should try many different boots, to what fits you. Take a look at my page:

http://mgrunes.com/boots/BootBuy.html

Audryb
08-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't know anything about specific Riedell models, but I disagree that the Jackson Freestyle would be too stiff for you. I'm about an inch shorter than you and the same weight, and I bought Jackson Freestyles after two "Adult 1" classes - before I even tried forward crossovers. I never had any trouble with them being too stiff, yet they've held up for two years and are stiff enough for what I'm working on now - flip and lutz.

If the Riedell model you're looking at is a similar stiffness to the Jackson Freestyle, I think it's probably a good boot for you. I'd hate for you to buy a cheaper skate and then have to pay for (and adjust to) the stiffer boot in 6 months when you start jumping.

Like everyone else who's responded, I definitely recommend getting them right away. I planned, like you, to go through an entire 8 week class in rentals to make sure I was going to stick with it before investing in my own equipment, but after two classes in junk, I bought my own and it made a world of difference in how quickly I was able to do the skills. You won't regret it.

ChristyRN
08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I (or really, my ex) bought my skates about two months into LTS. It was the best thing I could do. Not only did I have the same skates every week, I didn't feel like I could quit until I got his money's worth out of the skates. By that time, I was beginning to feel more comfortable on skates and willing to stick with it. I upgraded about a year later after I'd lost enough weight that my heels were slipping around. Started in low level Jackson Mystiques and now use Competitors.

Bear in mind that I was 38 and majorly overweight when I started. You're much younger and will progress much faster.

GoSveta
08-08-2010, 10:27 AM
After two classes I had to stop with the Rentals. They were broken in crooked at the ankles and the insoles were terrible. Often, there was medal on your foot and it made your foot get extremely cold and ache terribly. I think wearing those things is probably enough to give people a bad impression of how it actually feels to skate, and can turn some people off.

I brought a low-end Riedell model after that, and then moved to Klingbeils since I knew I was going to continue (boot and blade $800+, you have to be sure before making such an investment). I also started taking private lessons.

Once I got to basic 8 I stopped doing Learn to Skate. Didn't see a point, and the fact that they recently upped the price by 20% doesn't help, either. I just got a Private Coach instead.

xgskate
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Unless you quite skating regularly in near future, it's always good to have your own. What I regret now is not having bought a better quality pair to start with.

kiwiskater
08-15-2010, 06:41 PM
This is a huge help. I'm in a very similar situation!

Does anyone have further tips on how the skate should feel when you put them on? I'm all at sea on trying to pick a pair! What should I be looking for when I try a pair on:?:

Living in an isolated corner of the globe we only have 1 company that distributes/sells skates here. We get most of the standard brands e.g. Riedell/Graf/Risport but there isn't a lot of help from the shops (they are based in the rinks in my city) as they don't seem to have figure skaters working there - just hockey nuts.

I've asked around some of the coaches at the rink but so far they haven't given me much to go by other than the level of skate they think is appropriate.

We still have old stocks of Reidells & I'm not sure how they translate to the new 121/255's etc - so far I've tried a 300, my toes were right at the end of the boot and I felt like they were being squashed down by the boot (but not pinched at the sides), I couldn't really move at all in the skate. On the plus side the boot was a nice close fit to my foot. The guy in the shop suggested that they could stretch & heat mould them to get them to fit better, but I don't know if this is the way to fix problems in skates?

I've also tried Graf Prestige, I like the skate but there is some room in the back of the skate if I push my foot forward to the front and the ankle is a little tight over the bone (but I've heard heat moulding will help this?).

Unfortunately they don't order half sizes even though people like Riedell make them. If you are certain that it will fit they will consider ordering in for you but you are expected to buy those skates I think.

I usually have huge issues buying shoes due to the fact that I have small feet (US5's) and often I have to put in insoles just to make them fit properly - they fit OK width wise but they are often too long by about a 1/2 size. I then end up with the insoles taking up width and causing them to pinch - at $500 a pop for a basic skate the should last a while it is an expensive exercise I would like to get right and not go through the drama I have with shoes!!!!

countrakoczy
08-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the help and advice, everyone! I really appreciate it. I finally bought my first pair of skates :lol:

The pro shop I went to stocked mainly Riedells, and I was a bit worried that I was limiting my options because they didn't have that many other boots for me to try out. I first requested to try on Jackson Freestyles as I heard that it came with a better stock blade than the comparable Riedell models, but the pro shop didn't have any in my size that I could try on and the fitter told me that Riedell would be a better fit for my foot type. The Graf Bristols I used previously seemed slightly less stiff than the 255TS (though it might just be because they were used), had a different sort of boot padding (it seemed more foam-like), and felt lighter as well. It pressed into my ankle bone quite tightly and it would occasionally be very painful after an hour or so of skating, though not always. They only stocked higher level Graf models at this pro shop, so I didn't try any on. The other adult skaters I met in Denmark mostly used GAM and Risport, but the pro shop didn't stock those brands either.

I considered the Risport RF4 as it seemed to accommodate a wider skill range but ended up going for the Riedell 255TS in the end. What the pro shop lacked in selection (from what I've seen, they only nominally stock other brands aside from Riedell) they made up for in customer service, and I think I'd rather have well-fitting equipment I have confidence in than playing a guessing game by ordering online when I still know very little about skates. The skate fitter, another adult skater, really walked me through proper skate care and maintenance and spent over an hour adjusting the boot and blade to assure a proper fit. The shop also sno-sealed the boots, adjusted the blade alignment, and sharpened the blade--all included in the $285 price tag. For some reason, my boots came with MK Club 2000 blades even though I read that they come stock with Onyx blades. I would guess that these are better than the stock, although I don't know how they would compare with the blades that come with the Freestyles.

Incidentally, while I was waiting for the sno-sealing a girl of about 8 or 9 came in the shop to get fitted for the 255TS as well. Her mom, for some reason, kept repeating that she was "only in double lutz" and for a second I was a bit concerned that maybe the shop just wanted to sell me the most expensive boot in my cited price range (I can't even waltz jump yet and I don't see double anything in my future, lol). The store didn't actually have the 255TS in her new foot size in stock, so they had the little girl try on a much higher level boot (2010LS) just to test for size. She crowed about how so and so other girl had the same boots, and the mom seemed receptive to actually buying them, but the skate fitter insisted that the girl would be better served with the 255TS than a more expensive boot she'd outgrow before she could break it in. I knew then that I was really lucky to have a pro shop around me with really knowledgeable people who aren't just out to fleece you :)

RE: kiwiskater, I've read that the 255TS was the replacement for the entire Medallion series, so it might be comparable to the 300 but not exactly. In any case I don't know for sure, as I was confused about Riedell models as well when I was looking around online. As far as I know the Medallions are heat-moldable while the 255TS is not, so I don't know anything about how heat-fitting works :?? I have rather small feet as well that required a half-size--the pro shop did not actually have the 255TS in my size so they had me try on the 910LS to test for size (4 1/2), and I had to pay a deposit before they ordered the 255TS in my size. When I tried on my 255TS straight from the box, it already felt like a pretty good fit to me size-wise with some slight points of discomfort, like some pressure on the ankle and toe region. I thought this was fine at first since I was under the impression that skates should be as snug as possible, but she punched out these problem areas and now the skates are a lot more comfortable!

What size(s) did you try on for the 300 and Graf Prestige? I don't know for sure, but it sounds like maybe the 300s you tried fit you size-wise but would benefit from getting the toe-box area stretched and punched out as well, as I had a similar problem. My skate fitter had to make adjustments to the toebox area of my skates at least 6 times before they felt right--and a good skate fitter, she says, should be willing to work with a customer for at least an hour to make the skates as good of a fit as possible! Incidentally the Graf skates I've used previously also pushed on my ankle bone a lot, but since it was a gently-used loaner I used regularly it was never heat-fitted or adjusted for me specifically. When I was being fitted for the 255TS, the skate fitter asked me to push my heel as far back to the boot as possible, and as long as it stays put there and doesn't slosh about, it's good. I didn't make an effort to really push my foot forward away from the heel of the boot (there was a slight bit of room in the toebox past my toes), but my heel was pretty ensconced at the back of the boot.

I hope that helped a little bit! I know that I'm new here and my input is limited, but maybe the more experienced people can throw their two cents in and give you some advice that makes more sense :P I know I was very lucky in coming across a really good fitter, so see if that guy at the shop has experience with figure skates and is willing to take the time to fit you in properly. Good luck!

kiwiskater
08-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the help and advice, everyone! I really appreciate it. I finally bought my first pair of skates :lol:

kiwiskater, I've read that the 255TS was the replacement for the entire Medallion series, so it might be comparable to the 300 but not exactly. In any case I don't know for sure, as I was confused about Riedell models as well when I was looking around online. As far as I know the Medallions are heat-moldable while the 255TS is not, so I don't know anything about how heat-fitting works :?? I have rather small feet as well that required a half-size--the pro shop did not actually have the 255TS in my size so they had me try on the 910LS to test for size (4 1/2), and I had to pay a deposit before they ordered the 255TS in my size. When I tried on my 255TS straight from the box, it already felt like a pretty good fit to me size-wise with some slight points of discomfort, like some pressure on the ankle and toe region. I thought this was fine at first since I was under the impression that skates should be as snug as possible, but she punched out these problem areas and now the skates are a lot more comfortable!

What size(s) did you try on for the 300 and Graf Prestige? I don't know for sure, but it sounds like maybe the 300s you tried fit you size-wise but would benefit from getting the toe-box area stretched and punched out as well, as I had a similar problem. My skate fitter had to make adjustments to the toebox area of my skates at least 6 times before they felt right--and a good skate fitter, she says, should be willing to work with a customer for at least an hour to make the skates as good of a fit as possible! Incidentally the Graf skates I've used previously also pushed on my ankle bone a lot, but since it was a gently-used loaner I used regularly it was never heat-fitted or adjusted for me specifically. When I was being fitted for the 255TS, the skate fitter asked me to push my heel as far back to the boot as possible, and as long as it stays put there and doesn't slosh about, it's good. I didn't make an effort to really push my foot forward away from the heel of the boot (there was a slight bit of room in the toebox past my toes), but my heel was pretty ensconced at the back of the boot.

I hope that helped a little bit! I know that I'm new here and my input is limited, but maybe the more experienced people can throw their two cents in and give you some advice that makes more sense :P I know I was very lucky in coming across a really good fitter, so see if that guy at the shop has experience with figure skates and is willing to take the time to fit you in properly. Good luck!

Thnx I tried Sz 5's in all models, Idid try a pair of 121 sz 6 wide on but they were way too huge and the guy wasn't really much good (he was a hockey skater too).

We had been sent in by the head coach & she pointed out to him exactly what models I needed and should try on, so he came up with 2 boxes of skates - the 300's and the 121 (despite the fact she said strongly urged me not to buy 121's as they would only last about a year & Prestige or a higher model was a better investment). I think she planned to come help later on but she had a meeting first & figured that we would be a little while trying things on, we ended up by pulling her out of her meeting to say we were going because there weren't any more skate he was offering.

Ironically I travelled across town to their other store who had more size 5's in lots of different brands, I think I tried on a Riedell 320 (sz 5), Risport Etoile (5's) and Graf Prestige, the guy there was heaps more helpful about finding skates to try on, but again he wasn't a figure skater & couldn't offer much advice in the way of how the skates should fit.

From that I found Etolie was heaps lighter but really sloppy, not at all a close fit. Unfortunately the 320's didn't have a blade on them like the Prestige & it was a bit difficult to compare, but I thought they felt more comfortable than the 320's.

Maybe the more experienced skaters out there have some more advice (but yours helps heaps too!)

24/8 have meeting w head coach 2nite 2 discuss what skates 2 buy....