View Full Version : Were does the music come from at competitions?

FSWer
08-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok. I've always wondered this. I know that Skaters give a tape or CD. of their music their going to be skating to to somebody to play and then they pick it up after. But at the Nutmeg Games on July,10th. From what I learned. It doesn't sound like they were using the player in the Rink. As I didn't see anyone changing Skaters CDS. Is there a player in the main office that's only used and ment for competitions,etc. that they don't play unless having one? In which case the Rink Player is a whole separete thing? Thanks.

Isk8NYC
08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
At my old rink, there were two fathers who had their own DJ business. They had professional equipment that they used to entertain at weddings or other big parties.

Those two fathers volunteered to handle all the music for tests, competitions and shows at the skating club. They brought their own equipment and speakers, set it up so everyone could hear well, and put on each skater's music as needed.

They set up their equipment in a hockey box on the ice and ran wires to the speakers they set up around the rink. The sound was so much better than just using the regular soundsystem for the rink. For the entire event, one or both of those people would be in the hockey box playing music.

Clarice
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
At my rink, the CD player is in the hockey box and the music comes out of speakers on the ceiling over the center of the ice. You would always be able to see people playing music or announcing at my rink.

At another rink I skate at sometimes, they can either play music in the hockey box or back in an office. Either way, the music sounds over the rink speakers. For shows, the person playing music and announcing is back in the office and you can't see them, but for regular practice sessions the skaters put their own music on using the CD player in the hockey box.

Sessy
08-06-2010, 03:11 AM
At my rink, there is a very small room (maybe 9x9 feet) with one chair in it and a ton of music and lights equipment, as well as a window overlooking the ice surface. It's accessible from the top level of seats for the public. During competitions and shows, somebody sits in this room and changes the disks and does the announcements, during shows they do lights as well.

I'd never noticed the room until at one point I volunteered for a competition and had to bring the coffee there. :)

During trainings and public sessions, there is a big black CD player standing around on the inaccessible part of the rink and playing stuff (they don't let the people access the dressing rooms and stuff during publics)