View Full Version : Positive thoughts for MIF testers!!

doubletoe
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Just wanted to start a thread for everyone trying to pass their MIF tests by the Sept 1 deadline! If you are testing, post here and let us know. If you are not testing, come here and send some good vibes to the testers! :D

Yesterday I finally passed my Intermediate MIF test after practically giving up on it 18 months ago due to an increasingly stubborn psychological block. I don't know if this trick will work for others, but what got me through it this time was planting little imaginary power orbs on the ice surface before my test. These are little glowing orbs that give me extra confidence, focus and strength as I reach that place on the ice. I planted them at the location of each turn on the back power 3-turn end patterns, as well as the location of both left back inside brackets. Worked like a charm!! :D

Sending (((((GOOD VIBES))))) to all the testers out there!

Kim to the Max
08-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Good luck to everyone!!

I was thinking about trying senior once before the change, however, I just don't have enough time as well as we know that the judges are going to be really picky in this area (they have been picky since the changes were announced). But, I'm okay with this...I do want to try to test senior moves come early in 2011, but that is going to be tricky because I have to travel to Memphis both in January and February for work. But we'll see!!

aussieskater
08-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Yesterday I finally passed my Intermediate MIF test!

Congratulations - that's a real achievement.

phoenix
08-05-2010, 06:02 PM
what got me through it this time was planting little imaginary power orbs on the ice surface before my test. These are little glowing orbs that give me extra confidence, focus and strength as I reach that place on the ice. I planted them at the location of each turn on the back power 3-turn end patterns, as well as the location of both left back inside brackets. Worked like a charm!! :D

Wow, I love this idea!! Brilliant!! :bow:

Good luck to all testers!! I'll be trying the NEW intermediate hopefully within 6 months or so.

rsk8d
08-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Good luck to all testers! I have two seniors, two juniors, and a novice testing in the next two weeks: just as nervewracking for the coaches! If you don't pass, don't sweat it. There's only a couple of changes on each test, so if you don't pass, it shouldn't take too long to get the new moves to passing standard...

Has anyone heard about an 'extra test' that includes the new high level moves (novice to senior?), for those of us who have previously passed senior? One of my students heard it through the grapevine from a judge, saying that it's optional for those who want to torture themselves with more moves. If so, sign me up! I have a very odd love for teaching and doing moves.

Clarice
08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Has anyone heard about an 'extra test' that includes the new high level moves (novice to senior?), for those of us who have previously passed senior? One of my students heard it through the grapevine from a judge, saying that it's optional for those who want to torture themselves with more moves. If so, sign me up! I have a very odd love for teaching and doing moves.

Yes, there are actually two supplemental tests on the new patterns - the first goes through Intermediate, and the second is Novice-Senior. My daughter is working on them now.

coskater64
08-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm going to do the two supplemental tests if only just to learn the moves. I managed my Senior moves in late June in Detroit SC. A very happy day for me ....

Good luck to all!!:halo::halo:

Mel On Ice
08-05-2010, 10:16 PM
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

good vibes

Cinderella
08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
After working on them for 18 months and twice coming within 1/10th of passing, in July I passed Junior Moves (on an extremely tough session where only 5 out of 25 tests passed). What helped me was someone's joking advice that I should add some bling to my dress. It made me realize that even though I was practicing and improving the moves like crazy, I was approaching these tests with a lack of confidence. So instead of wearing my old frumpy black skirt and a sweater, I pulled out the strappy bright blue dress from my Superman interp. I approached the presentation of the moves as if I were doing an exhibition program to please the audience. I skated to the start of each move like you would for a freestyle program, I smiled throughout the whole test with my head held high, and I finished each move with a little flourish. Afterward the judges told me that even though there had been a couple of small bobbles, it was my strong body line and upper body carriage that carried me over. For me, this was even better than passing the moves, because this is the area on which I usually need the most work. So anyone who is about to test, I suggest you change your approach to be one of confidence (not cockiness) and poise.

Debbie S
08-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Congratulations to those who have passed tests recently! The judges seem to be getting really tough. One woman I skate with will be trying Senior MIF in a few weeks for the 3rd time. Two teenagers have decided to wait to retry Senior until after the changes.

I'm nowhere near ready to test, but I'm happy that my test (Gold MIF) is not changing.

Isk8NYC
08-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I managed my Senior moves in late June in Detroit SC.
in July I passed Junior Moves
yesterday i finally passed my intermediate mif test after practically giving up on it 18 months ago due to an increasingly stubborn psychological block.

Congratulations to All of You!!

RachelSk8er
08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I was going to try and get my junior in, but we decided to hold off since the junior changes aren't that big a deal, it's really just one pattern to have to work on (the step sequence is easy and actually kind of fun). After making a ton of progress, I kind of went through a skating slump the past few weeks and just don't feel confident enough to spend the money and take a day off work. Especially when I think about how I've never failed a moves test and think it would be cool to keep that streak going!

My coach and I are working on getting me into more of a routine with a little more structure to my practice sessions so that they are as productive as possible (with my ice time being limited once school starts in a few weeks, I get focused on one goal, be it moves or my axel, and tend to let everything else fall to the backburner). Had a good lesson today for the first time in 3 weeks. Hopefully by waiting until October, I'll also have a dance ready to test, making the day off work (when I'm low on PTO for the rest of the year) a little more worthwhile.

Purple Sparkly
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I think I will try senior one more time if I can find a test session that works for me. The best way to ensure you don't pass is to not test. The last time I tested it was the day after my favorite kitty cat died, so I probably shouldn't have bothered. It wasn't a disastrous test and may have passed or been close with more generous judges. I think I will regret not trying one more time before the changes.

NoVa Sk8r
08-06-2010, 11:54 AM
So instead of wearing my old frumpy black skirt and a sweater, I pulled out the strappy bright blue dress from my Superman interp. I approached the presentation of the moves as if I were doing an exhibition program to please the audience. ... So anyone who is about to test, I suggest you change your approach to be one of confidence (not cockiness) and poise.Way to go! When I took (and passed--who'd'a thunk it? 8-)) my intermediate moves a few months back, I was wearing my Superman shirt. :P

I agree that it is extremely important to approach any test with confidence. I always think of ice dancers when they are about to do their compulsory dances in competition. They (well, the good ones) always have that sparkle in their eyes and that spring in their steps, with a look of projected confidence.

dbny
08-06-2010, 12:12 PM
yesterday i finally passed my intermediate mif test after practically giving up on it 18 months ago due to an increasingly stubborn psychological block.

after working on them for 18 months and twice coming within 1/10th of passing, in july i passed junior moves (on an extremely tough session where only 5 out of 25 tests passed).

i managed my senior moves in late june in detroit sc. A very happy day for me ....

when i took (and passed--who'd'a thunk it? 8-)) my intermediate moves a few months back, i was wearing my superman shirt. :p

x

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL
&
BEST OF LUCK TO THOSE TESTING!

rsk8d
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
After working on them for 18 months and twice coming within 1/10th of passing, in July I passed Junior Moves (on an extremely tough session where only 5 out of 25 tests passed). What helped me was someone's joking advice that I should add some bling to my dress. It made me realize that even though I was practicing and improving the moves like crazy, I was approaching these tests with a lack of confidence. So instead of wearing my old frumpy black skirt and a sweater, I pulled out the strappy bright blue dress from my Superman interp. I approached the presentation of the moves as if I were doing an exhibition program to please the audience. I skated to the start of each move like you would for a freestyle program, I smiled throughout the whole test with my head held high, and I finished each move with a little flourish. Afterward the judges told me that even though there had been a couple of small bobbles, it was my strong body line and upper body carriage that carried me over. For me, this was even better than passing the moves, because this is the area on which I usually need the most work. So anyone who is about to test, I suggest you change your approach to be one of confidence (not cockiness) and poise.

Presentation, posture, and poise are SO important to passing a moves test. This is the first thing I stress to all of my students. no matter what level. The judges keep that first impression of you in their heads, and if they like your presentation and skating skills from the beginning, they may be a little more forgiving on little mistakes.

Terri C
08-06-2010, 04:14 PM
At our local test session today, the first three tests were Senior moves- all three passed!! I don't know how the others went.

JulieN
08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Wonder which rink is holding the last test session before the change. Any test sessions on September 1?? The latest one that I know of in our area is August 26th.

phoenix
08-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Our last one is 8/28.

jazzpants
08-07-2010, 01:35 AM
~~~~ * GOOD LUCK VIBES * ~~~> All skaters testing this month before the change in Moves....

And congrats to Doubletoe, coskater and my hero, Cinderella for passing their respective tests!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'm FAR from being ready to test ANY TIME soon. I think I'm not gonna test for at least another 2 years at this rate b/c of those darn FO mohawks and the 3turns ALONE!!! :frus: The rest of the moves are actually (surprisingly) coming along well!!! 8O :bow: :D

I am contemplating returning to compete this year now instead of continuing to delude myself that I will pass this test before the end of this skating season... Not giving up on Silver Moves... just that I need something else to work on besides this. Also, my secondary coach is now "suggesting" that I should get back into competing again. She thinks it would motivate me to push harder. :twisted: