View Full Version : Liquid Ice (or off-ice in the pool) Week July 31 to Aug 6 2010

singerskates
08-02-2010, 02:19 AM
This was for Saturday, July 31, 2010.

Hi, not just because it's summer but because it's a great way to burn calories without sweating unlike when we skate at the rink.

Did a few laps of swimming on my back to warm up the body a bit before working on in water spread eagles. It took a few of them before I didn't fall into the water. LOL Much softer fall and refreshing too.

Then I worked on getting the body line right for LFO leading Ina Bauer and then did the RFO leading Ina. After doing a few of them. I had an idea to try doing a Flip jump off of the Ina Bauer and then tried it. Found that because I was already bending lower with the leading LFO foot, I was able to get the Flip to nice pop up and out of the water and around :with a really nice landing.

Then I went on to doing all of my jumps in the water.

Waltz: Not so high but done right.
Toe Loop: because I decided to bend my knees more than usual on the take-off, I really popped it up good and got more than the 1 and quarter turn which made me have to work on checking out faster and harder.
Salchow: decent but because I had to swing my freeleg around, the water had a bit more resistance than I would have like but it got me working on freeleg position and not being lazy with my arms.
Loop: It's amazing how easy this jump is in the water compared to the ice. Well, I've changed how I bring in my arms and where I place them, which makes the rotation much easier. (note to self: do work on getting my right boot to bend in the ankle more.)
Flip: easy going once I bent my skating leg more.
Lutz: was working too.

Then I decided to sort of resurect my freeskate program in the pool. LOL

Camels, sit spins and spirals were done hilariously.
I jumped the Spirals across the pool to cover the distants.
Sit spins had me almost submerged hopping around in one place.
Hopped the Camel spins around in one place too and then changed position to the sit and then tried changing feet ( actually did it in the water even though I can't do that on ice yet), did back pancake for one rev (had to come up for air cause I'm not a fish) and then did upright.
Also did Camel, forward sit, forward broken, then grabbed free foot with right arm and came up into an upright type and then finished with corkscrew position.

The jumps in the program the first time were on 1st run through...

Salchow + Loop, Loop, Flip + Loop and then lastly Lutz.

Second time through, I modified things...

Salchow + Loop, Toe Loop, Flip + Loop and then Lutz

Now if I can just take what I got going in the pool to the ice, that would be great. I get back on the solid water tomorrow (if there's ice tomorrow with the civic holiday).

SkatEn
08-02-2010, 06:34 AM
I tried doing jumps in the pool too - how do you not stub your toe in toe jumps???

Spins position were really fun though - try doing a layback! I remembered being "washed" away!

Skate@Delaware
08-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I haven't been swimming or even gone to the beach yet this summer....maybe next week (only live 20 minutes from the beach but the traffic is killer).

Liquid ice: went to The Pond yesterday with a skating girlfriend...had a blast! skated a double session on the oly surface and it was great-no killer ice dancers (except for my friend and her coach). It took a while to get my ice legs back-I felt very unsteady! Worked on moves the first session, then messed around with landing positions & waltz jumps, backspins & salchows the 2nd half. Took it easy on jumping, as my knee is still healing (from catastrophic fall during previous skate) and I don't want to mess it up.

Afterwards, we went to the farmer's market & health food store, then out to lunch. It was great but made for a really long day, it was suppertime when I finally made it home!

That night, I talked to my coach about the upcoming season. Hubby is going to take lessons every other Sunday (because of his alternating work schedule) so we will alternate weeks. This will be interesting! I'm glad to see him finally moving-he said he only wants to work on moves/dance stuff.

singerskates
08-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I tried doing jumps in the pool too - how do you not stub your toe in toe jumps???

Spins position were really fun though - try doing a layback! I remembered being "washed" away!

How do I not stub my toes? Instead of picking in with my toes, I round my toes upward and stick the ball of my foot on the bottom of the pool. After jumping in the pool for a few years, you learn not to pick in with your toes in a pool.

singerskates
08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I haven't been swimming or even gone to the beach yet this summer....maybe next week (only live 20 minutes from the beach but the traffic is killer).

Liquid ice: went to The Pond yesterday with a skating girlfriend...had a blast! skated a double session on the oly surface and it was great-no killer ice dancers (except for my friend and her coach). It took a while to get my ice legs back-I felt very unsteady! Worked on moves the first session, then messed around with landing positions & waltz jumps, backspins & salchows the 2nd half. Took it easy on jumping, as my knee is still healing (from catastrophic fall during previous skate) and I don't want to mess it up.

Afterwards, we went to the farmer's market & health food store, then out to lunch. It was great but made for a really long day, it was suppertime when I finally made it home!

That night, I talked to my coach about the upcoming season. Hubby is going to take lessons every other Sunday (because of his alternating work schedule) so we will alternate weeks. This will be interesting! I'm glad to see him finally moving-he said he only wants to work on moves/dance stuff.

I don't know. It doesn't sound like you were skating in "Liquid Ice". Sounds more like you were on "Solid Water". LOL

I'm back on the "Solid Water" on Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010.

Skate@Delaware
08-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't know. It doesn't sound like you were skating in "Liquid Ice". Sounds more like you were on "Solid Water". LOL

I'm back on the "Solid Water" on Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010.
I wanted to hit the beach but the beach traffic was too much even for me! So when a girlfriend said "lets ice skate" I was up for it!

Just another form of water without the sunburn!

singerskates
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I wanted to hit the beach but the beach traffic was too much even for me! So when a girlfriend said "lets ice skate" I was up for it!

Just another form of water without the sunburn!

:D :yum: Got to love that "Solid Water".

singerskates
08-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Tuesday:

We working fixing our main bathroom, redoing our subfloor, tile and putting in a new dual flush toilet and there's dust and glue smells all over. So I took my gym bag stocked with bathingsuit to Goodlife Fitness and headed for a short shower before, swim, off-ice in the Liquid Ice, swim and full shower afterwards.

I started off with doing jumps after warming up in the pool with swimming laps in the pool.
Waltz
Toe + Toe
Salchow = tricky in the pool because you slide on the bottom and it's hard to bring your leg through in time.
Loop
Sal + Loop
Sal + Toe
Sal + Loop + Toe
Flip
Flip + Loop
Flip + Loop + Toe
Lutz
Lutz + Loop

Too many people in the pool to due a run through of my old program.

Then used noodles for side sadle ride (2x each direction), normal horse ride (worked the abs) and surfed the noodle across the pool.

Did butterfly stroke, back stroke and forward stroke in the pool to cool down.

Off to the showers and neaten up to go out with my hubby to pick out and buy the new toilet at Rona's.