View Full Version : Getting back to skating, I think...

Casey
07-31-2010, 01:14 AM
I took off from work early today, and watched the senior pairs short programs today since there's a national competition currently going on here in Indianapolis. Is anybody on here attending as well?

I found it very inspiring - I pretty accurately guessed the approximate placing before the scores were announced for each pair.

I went skating on a public session afterwards. I've been neglecting my skating for three years only skating once every couple months. That ends now. I'm going to start skating at least a few times a week from here on out and get myself back into better comfort level and start getting my skills improving again. Public sessions are very cheap here ($4 for two hours). I can't afford coaching yet as I've been paying off debt and that has been my primary excuse for not skating more, but at this point there's so much I can do on my own since I've gotten so out of practice anyways. All that neglect has done is gotten me worse off and older. :P

In a few more months my debts will be all gone and I'll start getting routine coaching, and hope to then start testing and competing.

I've also been battling health issues for a long while now, but I think perhaps the best thing for my health is to just ignore it and start being more active again. If I'm healthy enough to get out there on the ice and skate, I will.

Perhaps one day I will be able to skate pairs... *sighs dreamily*

katz in boots
07-31-2010, 03:45 AM
Welcome Back !!!

drskater
07-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Go for it!!!

Purple Sparkly
07-31-2010, 05:24 PM
I saw you on that public session... I'm actually about to head back down there this evening to teach, but I was just skating last night.

Casey
08-01-2010, 07:47 AM
I saw you on that public session... I'm actually about to head back down there this evening to teach, but I was just skating last night.

Whoa really? Who are you? I didn't really expect to run into somebody from there on here, but it's a small world, after all. :)

LilJen
08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Cool, welcome back to the world of freezingness! (I'm about 2 hrs from you, up near Ft Wayne--we have several adult skaters at our club at various levels.)

If you want to be inspired by other adults, or just see what other adults are doing skating-wise, come to Buckeye in Cincinnati, Nov 13-14. All adult USFS competition for adults of ALL levels. Went there for the first time last year and was cheering for everyone, from total beginners on up through masters jr/sr.

http://www.skatecincinnati.org/buckeye/announcement/announcement.html

AgnesNitt
08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Whoa really? Who are you? I didn't really expect to run into somebody from there on here, but it's a small world, after all. :)

Yeah, you have to be careful about stuff even when you're posting anonymously. I don't compete so my comments don't affect anyone, but it's real easy to make a comment about a competitor or a coach and find out someone knows them and the story gets around.
I''ve got some really funny stories about skaters I know, but I'll never post them. Even though I'm just a hobby skater there are people on this board who figured out who I am.

Purple Sparkly
08-02-2010, 08:33 AM
I was the girl on Saturday night wearing the bright pink jacket. I usually go to the Saturday afternoon public session, but that was cancelled due to the competition.

drskater
08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
If you want to be inspired by other adults, or just see what other adults are doing skating-wise, come to Buckeye in Cincinnati, Nov 13-14. All adult USFS competition for adults of ALL levels. Went there for the first time last year and was cheering for everyone, from total beginners on up through masters jr/sr.

http://www.skatecincinnati.org/buckeye/announcement/announcement.html

What a fantastic-sounding competition. It's so inclusive with events for everyone, including beginners (low, intermediate, and high). You don't often see such a range for the basic skills competitors in any adult competition. I bet it'll be loads of fun!!

flying~camel
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
What a fantastic-sounding competition. It's so inclusive with events for everyone, including beginners (low, intermediate, and high). You don't often see such a range for the basic skills competitors in any adult competition. I bet it'll be loads of fun!!

It usually is! I'll be there again this year competing in a few different events. :)

LilJen
08-02-2010, 08:51 PM

It absolutely is. There is something for EVERYONE!! And EVERYONE cheers on everyone else, because we all know how hard we all work to get the skills we have, no matter what level.

Skate@Delaware
08-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Hey, welcome back Casey!

singerskates
08-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey Casey, I'm glad I'm not the only one just getting back on the ice again. Welcome back. Be sure to post your progress on the link thread called Solid Water.

Kristin
08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Welcome back, Casey!

ChristyRN
08-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I've been off for most of the last 2-3 years also, secondary to work, school, and a boyfriend with cancer. I'll be able to skate twice a week this semester and and so looking forward to getting back in the swing of things.

I'm right there with you.