View Full Version : Skating clinic (camp) experiences?

jjane45
07-29-2010, 12:42 AM
The only one I've been to was Evan Lysacek's skating clinic right after he won Worlds in LA. I was barely freestyle and most skaters participated were landing double jumps -- definitely not the best fit LOL. What I liked the best was probably the the lecture on warm-up plus meet and greet. The actual on-ice skating did not benefit me as much due to the skills level mismatch (even with lower-level group) and high skater-instructor ratio.

Just signed up for a 4-hour adult skating clinics at my rink. Their flyer mentions basic and advanced stroking and turns, individual maneuvers for your level, basic and advanced ice dancing, off ice conditioning etc. Last year they did off ice jumping, little artistry, figures and talked about skate maintenance... Not sure how it will work out this year, the person who runs it said he plans to do things not generally covered in group lessons, but is certainly open to suggestions.

What are your skating clinic (camp) experiences? Technically how helpful are they compared to the same amount of regular lessons added together? Any strong likes / dislikes?

Thank you very much for sharing :)

Skittl1321
07-29-2010, 08:24 AM
I attended an adult skating weekend (motown tango) and did a "style"/jump clinic and a spin/turn clinic- last year (I missed this year).

It was an excellent clinic, and I got some good tips there were different things from what my coaches said- so I was able to bring the ideas back to them to change a few things we did. I also got more confident with counters and rockers (when moving very slowly...)

Overall though, the money would have been much better spent for progress on an equivelent $ amount of coaching (counting travel and hotel, I think I could probably add a lesson a week for at least half the year on what was spent)- however, I think the experience is completely worth it.

Skating with other adults was #1 for me. Watching elites demonstrate is inspiring, and not something I normally get at my rink. If there was a clinic at my rink, I'd go for sure, that takes out travel and hotel expenses right there. And I'd definetly go to another adult weekend, just for the experience.

If your only goal is to improve technique, the money might be better spent with your own coach, but I think a lot of other things come from seminars than just that.

skatingmonkeys
07-29-2010, 09:21 AM
This is coming from a parents prespective vs a skaters. There are some well established camps and clinics out there we have experienced some excellent on 1/2 day one day and weekend clinics that focus on a specific type of element like jumps spins etc. However I have found that most of the general figure skating camps don't provide specific enough instruction to justify the cost this holds expically true of club sponsored week long camps.

After attending a few camps I feel that I would rather spend my money on additional lessons than a week long camp. The benifit I see in the camp is that skaters are on the ice for several hours a day for a week. However I can spend 60-70 a week for the same amount of on ice time put another 40 towards her ballet, yoga/pilattes and conditioning classes and my pocket book comes out175 happier in the long run. And that money can be spent on priviate lessons.

However if you ask my dd she loves the camps because she gets to hang at the rink with friends since there is more down time durring camp weeks. Frankly her friends can hangout anywhere for a lot cheeper than 175/person/week.

Purple Sparkly
07-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I participated in Audrey Weisiger's Grassroots to Champions Seminar at Adult Nationals this year and I enjoyed it. It was 3 hours and $75, so I felt it was a good value. I do think it was partly infomercial on the ankle buzzer and champion cords, but I enjoyed using the tools even though I'm not going to run out and buy them. Mostly I think it gave me an introduction to Audrey and Sheila so when I go visit my parents in DC, I can justify calling for a couple lessons. I asked Audrey about follow-up lessons when I was in town and she seemed very open to it as long as I remind her where she met me. I think that will help me more than the seminar because it will be specific one-on-one instruction.

jjane45
08-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Thank you everyone for the response. I will come back to report how it goes.
Pricewise it's 3 hours of ice time for about the same price of a half-hour private lesson, can't complain about that :)
I agree that the experience to meet other skaters is a big bonus for camps outside one's rink. Wish I could try that someday if my budget allows so!

twokidsskatemom
08-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I run a one week camp during the summer.We have around 5 hours a day of ice plus off ice for 280.00 for the week. This doesnt include privates.You get group classes, a performance class and freestyle ice.For the price its a great deal!We have 4 guest coaches, This year two of them were Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov, the 2006 olys ice dancers.We have two groups, based on levels.
We also offer a test session at the end of the week. We have both adults and kids.Its alot of fun!!
Hope you enjoy your camp!

jjane45
08-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Just had my clinic today. Was mostly fun with off-ice stretching, beginner figures (~20 minutes), MITF, off-ice jumps in lobby, artsy arms in ballet studio, artsy arms on the ice, and 30 minutes freestyle to wrap up.

Plenty of ice time but not utilized fully because the tempo was little slow (to me at least). Probably got as much out of it as from a regular lesson, so it's still pretty a good bargain :)