View Full Version : Feedback on Riedell boots (new lines?)

Laura H
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I know I just posted recently about BLADES but now the boots are becoming a more immediate concern :frus: - starting to notice signs of breaking down, more and more with every skate . . . so anyway, now I am considering options as far as new boots. I want to stick with Riedell as they have worked well for me in the past, but since they have completely redesigned/renamed all of their lines since the last time I bought boots, I'd love any feedback and/or recommendations, especially if you are currently skating in any of the newer models. (My current pair of skates is the Bronze Star model and I am an adult skater currently working on loop, flip & sit spin, if that helps any). Thanks!

icestalker
07-28-2010, 12:46 PM
If you end up getting Gold Star*, you can find them at great clearance prices online. It's okay to buy online if you know your size and are getting from the same general line of skates (like the Star line.)

*I am not suggesting Gold Star, I have no idea if Gold Star is enough boot or if it's appropriate for your level.

Stormy
07-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Sounds like the Riedell 1310 model would be good for you. I have the 2010 model and I love them. They broke in quickly and are very comfortable. :bow:

Purple Sparkly
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I haven't been in Riedell's since 1998, but I am considering trying them again for my next pair. I have custom SP Teri with a split last to accomodate my narrow heels. They were great when I got them two years ago, but now they are moving around again. I have heard from I think two skaters that previously had custom SP Teri's and now have Riedell and do not have heel slippage. The last pair of Riedell's I had wasn't the best, but I think it was the fitter and not necessarily the boot, plus I know they have changed a lot in the last 13 years.

If Stormy is in the 2010 that might be a good option for me, also.

doubletoe
07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
I haven't been in Reidell's since 1998, but I am considering trying them again for my next pair. I have custom SP Teri with a split last to accomodate my narrow heels. They were great when I got them two years ago, but now they are moving around again. I have heard from I think two skaters that previously had custom SP Teri's and now have Reidell and do not have heel slippage. The last pair of Reidell's I had wasn't the best, but I think it was the fitter and not necessarily the boot, plus I know they have changed a lot in the last 13 years.

Hmm. . . Interesting! I also have custom SP Teris due to my split width, but they still seem to still be fine after 2-1/2 years. Since they made an in-between ball width for me (A heel, B+/C- ball), I'm wondering if they would also be able to make heels half a width narrower, which might be enough to prevent slippage?

Purple Sparkly
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
My previous pair was an A ball and AA heel and there was heel slippage after a few months and my heel wore a hole through the lining.

My current pair is an A ball and AAA heel. After about a year, my left heel began slipping and wore a hole through the lining. I duct taped a make up pad on the inside of the boot on the inside of the foot. After another year, the right heel began slipping and wore a hole or almost wore a hole, I can't remember, and I duct taped it like I had the left boot. The duct taped padding helps, but I prefer to not have to do that. George measured me for them in Lake Placid. I spoke to him at this past AN and he said they can do AAAA or AAAAA. I could try AAAAA in the left and AAAA in the right.

I feel like it is more than just the heel width. I think I need more padding in the heel section to squeeze and lock my heel in more than just an overall narrower opening. There is a little spot on the sides of the heel where it indents just a tiny bit.. I think that is where I need the extra padding.

Can somebody with Riedell comment on the heel lock stabilizer feature on the HLS 1500?

Stormy
07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I had the 1500s before the 2010s and I have a super narrow heel too. My heel didn't slip in the 1500s and it doesn't in the 2010s either. Rachel has the 2010s too and she likes them. The lower back was a little odd at first but you get used to it very quickly. Purple Sparkly, defintiely give them a try if you need new boots soon.

san
07-28-2010, 07:17 PM
I went from wearing Gold Stars for decades to the new 875 (which Riedell told me is the equivalent of Gold Star), and really like the 875. The break-in period was very easy--it's a comfortable boot even though it's very stiff. I have a semi-custom boot (the heel is narrower than normal).

Icefrog
07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
What about the 910 ls? I've landed a couple axels but they come and go and won't be in a program for a long time. I don't really focus on jumping too much anyway. I like being under booted, but not to the point where its dangerous haha. I don't know of anyone at my rink with them so I was just curious.

RachelSk8er
07-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Yeah 2010s would be good for you, that's what I'm also in. Cindy Crouse wears them too. They broke in super easy and are really comfy. My only gripe about them is that I don't like the way the tongue looks with the microfiber on the top in the front. Don't mind the cut down in the back as much. Only thing I found weird about breaking them in is the fact that the tongue is actually thickly padded, and that took some getting used to since I was used to the traditional flap of leather with foam on the back of it. But the tongue like that allows for the boot to have more space between the laces, and I think it makes for a better boot, more comfortable fit, and it won't break down as fast.

Can somebody with Reidell comment on the heel lock stabilizer feature on the HLS 1500?

My last pair were 1500s. Compared to Royals (which I had been in before that for years), I liked it. My heels slipped around a lot less in 1500s than they did in Royals once the boots stretched out. But I actually think the shape of the heel in the 1310/2010 series and the way it cups the heel has the same effect and overall those boots are a lot more comfortable. The microfiber lining also creates a little more friction against your foot (or stocking or whatever) and seems to keep the foot in place a little better compared to leather lining (which gets slippery when it's broken in and sweated on), too. I was really torn between sticking with 1500s or trying 2010s when I bought my current pair, and I'm very glad I went with the 2010s.

Purple Sparkly
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah 2010s would be good for you, that's what I'm also in. Cindy Crouse wears them too. They broke in super easy and are really comfy. My only gripe about them is that I don't like the way the tongue looks with the microfiber on the top in the front. Don't mind the cut down in the back as much. Only thing I found weird about breaking them in is the fact that the tongue is actually thickly padded, and that took some getting used to since I was used to the traditional flap of leather with foam on the back of it. But the tongue like that allows for the boot to have more space between the laces, and I think it makes for a better boot, more comfortable fit, and it won't break down as fast. The tongue on my skates is a leather flap with a squishy sponge. I also have SP Teri's lace bite stopper, which is basically a piece of plastic on the front of the tongue. It prevents the tongue from getting the indentations from the laces and definitely prevents lace bite on my ankles. Riedell's center hook is different from SP Teri's (which is just a lace hook facing down), but I think Riedell's is actually designed more like how I use it, anyway.

I don't mind the microfiber look on the top or the lower back. If I stay with SP Teri, I was already planning on having the back cut lower on the next pair. My current pair is cut lower than my previous pair, but I don't think I need it even this high.

My last pair were 1500s. Compared to Royals (which I had been in before that for years), I liked it. My heels slipped around a lot less in 1500s than they did in Royals once the boots stretched out. But I actually think the shape of the heel in the 1310/2010 series and the way it cups the heel has the same effect and overall those boots are a lot more comfortable. The microfiber lining also creates a little more friction against your foot (or stocking or whatever) and seems to keep the foot in place a little better compared to leather lining (which gets slippery when it's broken in and sweated on), too. I was really torn between sticking with 1500s or trying 2010s when I bought my current pair, and I'm very glad I went with the 2010s.I had Silver Star years ago, the last time I was in Riedell. Like I mentioned, they weren't fitted properly and were at least a half size too big for me. Other than poor fitters (one pair was a half size too small, the next a half size too big), I never had a problem with them. I think maybe the last fitter was trying to give me room to grow, but my feet had apparently stopped growing.

Rachel, I think you may be right with the microfiber lining making a difference in slippage. I definitely feel my heels moving around more when the boots are sweaty inside, and my feet do sweat a good bit when I am working hard. That probably doesn't help my heel slippage problem. My SP Teris have a Clarino synthetic leather lining.

It may be worth noting I also have a good deal of heel slippage in every day shoes. I used to wear away the back of my sneakers until the plastic inside cut into my ankle. Saucony seems to be made narrower in the heel because I have two pairs of them and have no problems with heel slippage, even when wearing just skating tights and not socks.

(Laura, sorry for hijacking your thread, I hope some of this information can be useful to you, also!)

Laura H
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I would say the subject of heel slippage is DEFINITELY pertinent! And since we're on the subject, have to share my recent discovery . . . I had pulled out my insoles since I had read on the Riedell website that they could be helpful in identifying fit problems (to see the exact imprint of your foot on the insole, and heel slippage evidenced by fainter staining on the footbed). Well, the right foot showed a little bit of slippage, but OMG my poor left foot . . . the insoles definitely documented a LOT of slipping and sliding. Hopefully getting a better fit with the next pair of boots, will solve some of my left side challenges.

doubletoe
07-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Purple Sparkly - WOW, you have narrow heels, LOL! And yes, Sauconys are the only athletic shoes I'll wear, too!

This is an interesting discussion, since I am also in custom SP Teris but was considering Riedells at one point due to that heel lock feature. . . Hmm. . .

So the Riedells are easy to break in, but do they break down faster than SP Teri (KT2 or equivalent) as well?

Purple Sparkly
07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
doubletoe, I am also curious about the rate of breakdown for the Riedell versus SP Teri. I remember chatting with you in the locker room at AN about our skates and you have the KT2 and I have the Super Teri Deluxe strength. I just passed the two year mark in these boots. I am definitely feeling the stiffness start to give more, but I hope to keep them another year. That said, with the way skates these days break-in, it may not impact my training time significantly if I have to get a new pair in 6 months, assuming there are no problems. It would still impact my bank account, though... The Riedell boots are priced comparably to SP Teris (I paid in the neighborhood of $600 for mine, but I don't remember the exact number). I was able to feel very comfortable in my SP Teris almost immediately when I got them, so I would say there was a minimal break-in period. Definitely different from years ago when it regularly took weeks to break-in a new pair of boots!

If I can remember tonight when I get home, I'll check out my insoles and see if it tells me anything about my heel slippage.

Purple Sparkly
07-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I looked at my insoles and I wasn't sure how to tell if they show slippage. There didn't seem to be any footbed staining, maybe SP Teri insoles don't cooperate with that trick like Riedell insoles.

laeran
08-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I know I just posted recently about BLADES but now the boots are becoming a more immediate concern :frus: - starting to notice signs of breaking down, more and more with every skate . . . so anyway, now I am considering options as far as new boots. I want to stick with Riedell as they have worked well for me in the past, but since they have completely redesigned/renamed all of their lines since the last time I bought boots, I'd love any feedback and/or recommendations, especially if you are currently skating in any of the newer models. (My current pair of skates is the Bronze Star model and I am an adult skater currently working on loop, flip & sit spin, if that helps any). Thanks!

I am also an adult skater and I just bought the Riedell 435 boots - they are really comfortable! I love them and they were recommended for me by the fitter- I am a level below you, so technically the 910 would be the ones for my level, but he said they would break down easier and the stiffer boot would be better- the 435's are good for freestyle 1-4 in ISI...the level above the 435s are stiffer and are made for people working on the axel (according to my fitter).

RachelSk8er
08-03-2010, 08:13 AM
doubletoe, I am also curious about the rate of breakdown for the Riedell versus SP Teri. I

Depending on my amount of skating, I've gone from anywhere from 16 months to almost 4 yrs on a pair of Riedells (16 mos was when I was cross skating on a jr and sr synchro team as a teenager and doing dance and moves, 4 yrs was college/grad school but I was only doing synchro, no jumping or anything). My last pair lasted a little over two years, probably could have gone a little longer but I was at a point where I had to change blades--I was still freestyling in synchro blades, but I wanted my old skates in tact for dance and for when I sub for LTS. So I got new ones before they were 100% necessary just because I had the money from my tax return anyway.

I've been in the 2010s for 5 months now and I don't feel like the stiffness is starting to go away at all. The style of the boot seems to break down less quickly because it lets your ankle move and bend without bending the boot (and with the wide front it's less pull on the rest of the boot). I'd have creases by now in older style boots.

So they'd probably last you as long as SP Teris. I weigh more than you, which has an impact on how long a boot will last. And jump-wise the difference between us is that you actually land your axels and doubles on one foot...me...not so much.

That being said there is a girl at my rink who goes through 3-4 pr of 2010s/year. But she's also a junior lady with triples who skates about 20 hrs/week.