View Full Version : 2010 Summer & Fall Plans For Improving Skating

singerskates
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
After annolyzing my skating this past year in competition and practice, this is what I came up with for my plans in 2010/2011.

Things I want to fix:

Jumps:
1 Lutz - only land on my landing foot
1 Flip - only land on my landing foot
1 Loop - only land on my landing foot - more power and height and trust that I have it.
1 Sal - more height without over rotating - learn to check out in the air when full rotation is reached and no later
1 Toe - more height with out over rotating - same as 1 Sal
1 Waltz + 1 Loop - land Waltz with free foot still cross through the Loop landing.
2 Sal - start working on it again once I have complete control on the higher 1 Sal
2 Toe - same as 2 Sal

Spins:
All spins - better spiralling edge to the hook
Camel spin - get 4 revs with freeleg above the hip
Sitspin - lower & faster 9+ revs
Broken Sit - freeleg out more and back 4+ revs
Layback - layback on it (have herniated disc in upper back)
Backspin - upright, sit and camel positions 4+ revs

Program Componet Score Improvement:
Get performance way up (take better care of my health)
Do full run throughs - non-stop programs
Get skating skills up - work on problem areas and learn new things
Interpretation: Better Interp/Commitment to programs.

Skate@Delaware
07-28-2010, 08:47 AM
wow! that's quite a list! Mine is pretty short. I started working out differently this summer, hoping to add strength, flexibility, & "bounce" so to help my skating (in addition to overall health).

I want a "legal" sit-spin, more height on my jumps (especially loop), higher spiral, and a tighter core which will help with all of my skating.

I'll start working on bronze moves this fall, in addition to pair skating elements. Maybe start working on the lutz, and off-ice axel. That's enough on my plate.

icestalker
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Any MIF you want to improve on? That's quite the list of jump improvements :lol:

I want to..
Have a private lesson every week instead of Saturday group.

Skate three days a week by adding in Sunday or Saturday public. This would make a total of 3 to 5 hours practice, 1 hour group and 1/2 hour private every week. (Is that enough to achieve the goals in my plan below?)

August: Polish program, make flip consistent, land loop and lutz, get the splits
September-December: Land all single jumps, improve scratch, back, sit, camel, and scratch-back-scratch, do Biellmann spiral and Y spiral
January, February- Make and compete Freeskate 5 program, have consistent singles.

A year from now: Afford next pair of skates. :roll:

Kim to the Max
07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
August:
* Continue working on Senior moves to see if I can try once before the change. If not, I'm okay with it.
* Work with coach on Intermediate test program 8O (the music is way fast...it's mainly Wonderland by Maksim).
* Correct my axel (in progress)
* Fix my lost double sal
* Start working out at the gym with a trainer (first appointment is Monday morning!)

September - December:
* Intermediate test program
* Have double sal consistent-ish
* Land a few double toes (they are painfully close)
* Start working on double loops again

January - May:
* Test Intermediate free (preferably before February/March so that I can get my certificate and patch at our annual banquet if I pass :) )
* Depending on Senior moves, start dance (the agreement with my coach was that I would start dance after I passed Senior moves)

blue111moon
07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
My plan for the fall is to:

- get new skates. Appointment with Klingbeil is for the end of August.

Evwerything else will depend on when the new skates come in and how long it takes to get them comfortable. But after that, the plan is to:

- test Rhythm Blues, which completes the trio of Preliminary Dances, finally.

- start new free skate program (gotta find music) for next spring's competition.

- work on finding flip again, now that the ankle has healed as completely as it's going to.

- work on change-foot spins with the eventual goal of getting them into a program.

- learn forward twizzles - which very well could be the death of me. We've started them this summer. I get the concept but the execution doesn't translate to my feet. :)

JulieN
07-29-2010, 01:41 AM
* Continue working on Senior moves to see if I can try once before the change. If not, I'm okay with it.I'm thinking about doing this too! I passed my Jr moves early in June and at the time I thought there was no way that I'd even be ready to try it before the change. But now that I've started working on it, I think there is a chance! I was surprised to find that Senior moves are actually much easier to learn than Junior or Novice -- though they are probably harder to pass. I'm still having trouble with the "Scotty" turns going clockwise, and the back outside double 3 pull move needs a lot more power, but otherwise they're actually coming along!

To stay on topic, here's my goals for the fall (assuming that I haven't passed Sr moves by then, because that's the most likely scenario):

- work on Senior moves and hope to pass it by next summer

- pass the Quickstep and start working on the Westminster Waltz - hope to complete Gold dances by next Spring

- start working on Freestyle again! From the AN 2011 thread, it sounds like there's a chance that the next AN will be in Colorado. If that's the case, then I'd like to compete in Silver Ladies.

We'll see how much of this I can accomplish. This will also be my 5th straight season of competing on both our Adult and Masters synchro teams as well, so that will also take up a large chunk of my practice ice time.

RachelSk8er
07-29-2010, 07:53 AM
--Pass Junior Moves, trying them Aug 20 and if I don't pass I'll have to do it after the changes. But that's just one pattern I have to really learn (the loops), the step sequence is easy.

--Keep losing weight. I'm not sure how much I've lost so far since May, it was around 10 pounds last time I weighed myself but the battery in my digital scale died 2 wks ago so I haven't checked since (plus I've probably put on some muscle so the scale isn't showing that). But I'm up to running 7 miles, training for a half marathon in September. The problem is trying to find the right balance--eating to lose weight but still having the energy to run and skate and all the other things I do. I hit a wall a few weeks ago because I was only eating around 1600 calories on days where I skated in the morning, lifted weights during lunch, then ran 6 miles in the evening...and that's not nearly enough and just really wore myself down after a few weeks of doing that. But I'm also not really hungry and can't eat that much, so I need to look into protein shakes or something.

--Improve jumps/spins, losing weight and getting in better shape is also helping so other than that, I'm not making any specific goals.

--Get back to pre-gold dances. I haven't tested a dance since I started law school...once I pass junior moves, I'll go back to dancing because I can take my good 'ol time with senior moves.

Morgail
07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Here are mine:

-skate at least 4-5 times per week
-consistently rotate axel
-make 2sal and 2loop more than just a single with a backspin at the end
-improve take-off and height of single loop, flip, and lutz
-get more rotations on flying camel and back camel
-improve pancake spin
-find foot again on catch camel
-improve layback
-actually work on Intermediate Moves so I can test them eventually