View Full Version : breaking in new boots, your story

xgskate
07-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Got my new boots. Also new blades. Fell on right knee this morning. On ice pack now. Bad idea to have changed both at the same time.

GoSveta
07-27-2010, 12:54 AM
I changed both mine at the same time.

Still feel like I'm breaking in these Klings. I think I should have gone S-1 instead of S-2, but perhaps something a bit in between would be optimal... I just went for the S-2 /shrug

Switched to MK Pro.

First time I got on the ice in them, they felt like Chasity Belts on my feet. The blade felt like it was 1' shorter than my old blade.

They are comfortable now, for the most part. I just need to skate as much as I used to. I've really been... inconsistent since I have gotten them.

I had to get ankle gel pads. Those things are a life saver. I'm still wearing them, Lol. They have completely spoiled me.

ibreakhearts66
07-27-2010, 01:04 AM
I decided to try to break mine in in less than a week so I could wear them for the holiday show. My old ones were destroying my feet to the point where I was in tears during my last moves lesson, and they ended up giving me compartment syndrome. The new boots actually felt comfortable in comparison. I never break them in properly--I was doing axels by the end of my first session in them.

The show went relatively well, too. I did axels and back sits in our group number and did 2sal, camel and sit-broken leg in my solo. I did, however, pop the axel and fall out of the sky.

I've never been able to skate with the top TWO hooks undone. They just feel so loose that it seems like I wouldn't even be breaking them in. I also have never needed to move up to the top hook.

fsk8r
07-27-2010, 02:34 AM
I've just done boots and blades together. Same blades as last time, but needed a larger size cos of changing boot manufacturers.
I realised after buying the boots that the heel heights different from my old ones so I lost my spins while I refound my balance.
I'm currently squealing in pain as I need them punching out around my bunion and I need lots of time to drive to the boot fitter to get that done.
And worst of all, I've spent weeks thinking that it's me and not bending enough cos my right forward outside edges slides out on the ice. I'm just not able to hold the edge. Finally mentioned it to the coach and I've been told it might be the blades not being aligned. I've never had a problem with blade alignment before and have skated on crooked blades and didn't notice the difference when they were straightened, so I'm really confused as to what's going on. Perhaps it's all to do with the different heel height so I'm more sensitive?
I know life will be better when I finally start using them properly, but I HATE breaking them in.

icestalker
07-27-2010, 09:36 AM
It was quite the shock when I first skated in my second pair of skates. I had gone from recreational skates that are the kind that really don't break in because they are already soft to stiffer, beginning freestyle skates. Stepped on the ice, absolutely could not control either the boot or the blade (I switched both at the same time also because old blade was riveted on, and it's a waste of money to reuse them anyway). They felt like bricks on my feet. I couldn't do back XOs, any of my 3turns, and had to deal with straight legged stroking. Almost killed myself when trying small waltz jump. I was so embarrassed because some of the higher level girls (doubles) that are in my group lesson were in that public session, and I was going around doing beginner back crossovers with toepick scratching everywhere. And then I couldn't stop (T-stop was hopeless due to boot stiffness), so then trying to do half snowplow stops, I kept falling because of the deeper radius on my blade. I felt like such a beginner. LOL. Was to the point where I was cursing myself for spending money on this wicked, evil, out-of-my-league boots.

Four months later, and all of my jumps have gotten ten times bigger, and my spins are so much better, and I skate much faster with twenty times more confidence, and I've jumped from not being able to do 3revs on a one foot spin to having a good, crossed-foot scratch spin, and I try more things and I'm not terrified of everything. The bigger toepick has erased my deep hate and fear of toe jumps, and since there is actually a real heel rocker on the blade, I can do back 3turns.

At least I will be prepared for breaking in the next pair, after knowing what these felt like :lol:

xgskate
07-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Very encouraging. Going to let my knee rest for today. It looks like a crater. The center where it hit is pink, the surrounding area all black now. Will go to some stroking tomorrow.
Four months later, and all of my jumps have gotten ten times bigger, and my spins are so much better, and I skate much faster with twenty times more confidence, and I've jumped from not being able to do 3revs on a one foot spin to having a good, crossed-foot scratch spin, and I try more things and I'm not terrified of everything. The bigger toepick has erased my deep hate and fear of toe jumps, and since there is actually a real heel rocker on the blade, I can do back 3turns.

At least I will be prepared for breaking in the next pair, after knowing what these felt like :lol:

icestalker
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Very encouraging. Going to let my knee rest for today. It looks like a crater. The center where it hit is pink, the surrounding area all black now. Will go to some stroking tomorrow.

Oh my. Knees shouldn't look like craters. 8O

RachelSk8er
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I've broken my last few pair (Riedell 1500s and 2010s) in so easily. I wore the 1500s for the first time on a Monday and competed in them (synchro competiton) on Saturday of that week. Only reason I had problems with the 2010s was the blades were also new/different and one was crooked, the boots were easy. Not a single blister.

It used to take a solid 2-3 weeks of bloody feet, blisters, aches, pains, cramped toes, and all that fun to break in skates when I was a kid. And that was skating nearly every day and when boots weren't nearly as stiff (I was in Gold Stars and then Royals, and Royals were the stiffest they made).

CaraSkates
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
I've broken my last few pair (Riedell 1500s and 2010s) in so easily. I wore the 1500s for the first time on a Monday and competed in them (synchro competiton) on Saturday of that week. Only reason I had problems with the 2010s was the blades were also new/different and one was crooked, the boots were easy. Not a single blister.

It used to take a solid 2-3 weeks of bloody feet, blisters, aches, pains, cramped toes, and all that fun to break in skates when I was a kid. And that was skating nearly every day and when boots weren't nearly as stiff (I was in Gold Stars and then Royals, and Royals were the stiffest they made).

I love my 2010s - easiest break in ever!! I went from Silver Stars held together w/ hockey tape to the 2010s and loved it. No blisters. I didn't change my blade as I've been in MK Pros for a while now but I don't think that would have mattered. I've had them a year now and they still feel great.

katz in boots
07-28-2010, 04:00 AM
He, he. Try going from normal skates to Jackson Proflex hinged boot and from Phantoms to Ultima Matrix Freestyles in one hit. Not to mention the temporary mounting had the blade way too far back.
Now that = looking worse than a beginner in front of everyone. Freaky experience.

Now I look more at home on ice than ever before, but not that night....

Query
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Gee, it sounds like it is the skater that gets broken, not the skates that get broken in. :roll:

icestalker
07-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Gee, it sounds like it is the skater that gets broken, not the skates that get broken in. :roll:

yup, I definitely heard myself break when I tried that near fatal waltz jump. And have you seen pro skaters' feet?

blue111moon
07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't remember that I had much trouble breaking in my old Riedells but that was over 10 years ago so my memory may have faded with time. :) I'm getting new Klingbeils at the end of August (multiple surgeries have made customs a necessity) so I'll let you all know how that goes. :D

Query
07-29-2010, 07:40 PM
have you seen pro skaters' feet?

Only a few. I don't go around and ask skaters to take their socks off! :lol:

A coach I knew had scars and blisters all over her feet. It isn't necessary, it means something was done wrong in fitting and adjusting the boots, or no padding was used. Maybe athletes in any sport should be taught how to prevent injuries, and that knowledge should be tested.