View Full Version : shin muscle pain

xgskate
07-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Not the shin splint. Really the muscle there that's hurting. Did terrible jump lesson on Thursday. Had shin pain (left) but didn't pay attention. Today I realized that when I try to jump, I am avoiding putting pressure on my left leg and hard to control where to put my weight. It was affecting jump.:??

rsk8d
07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
It could be your anterior tibialis muscle, or one of the muscles that lifts your toes. If so, try some massage and ice to alleviate the pain.

doubletoe
07-27-2010, 12:32 AM
It could also be a stress fracture, so you should probably see a doctor if the pain doesn't go away after a few days off the ice.

xgskate
07-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks. The pain goes away after skating typically. I hope it will become better after I have my new skates broken in.

RachelSk8er
07-29-2010, 07:58 AM
It could just be a different use of the muscles. I get similar shin pains halfway into a session, especially on jumps, now that I'm running a lot. They're not shin splints, it's a deeper muscle pain. I just stretch and it goes away.

doubletoe
07-29-2010, 04:57 PM
OH! New skates! Since your boots are stiff, you might be straining your shin muscles trying to bend your ankles against the stiff boots. Would you be able to leave the top 1 or 2 notches unlaced? Try sitting "Japanese style" for awhile to stretch out those muscles: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f_F3uuNzXWA/SXP_BTR0QpI/AAAAAAAAAhg/lgGypnCHtfE/s320/se3.gif

xgskate
07-29-2010, 11:00 PM
The problem was in old boots. I haven't gotten shin problem in new boots yet, since I cannot do anything in them yet. Will see after I can actually skate in new boots.
OH! New skates! Since your boots are stiff, you might be straining your shin muscles trying to bend your ankles against the stiff boots. Would you be able to leave the top 1 or 2 notches unlaced? Try sitting "Japanese style" for awhile to stretch out those muscles: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f_F3uuNzXWA/SXP_BTR0QpI/AAAAAAAAAhg/lgGypnCHtfE/s320/se3.gif