View Full Version : 2 questions - leg stretches and shoulder tension

Sessy
07-24-2010, 03:13 AM
1. Leg stretches

When I was taking ballet lessons at the rink, I kind of avoided doing leg stretches where you sit with your legs outstretched in front of you (parallel to each other) and then bend over forward because it made the back of my knees (you know, the opposite side of the leg from the knees) really hurt with very sharp pains the day after and such. However, when we were practicing Y spirals in class, I didn't have that problem at all - sure, the back of my thighs might get a bit sore from stretching, but no sharp pains. Now, I've discovered recently I can stretch standing at the balcony railing with 1 of my legs up on the railing, reaching for the toes and going deeper each time, and this doesn't hurt. However, if I turn my toes in (or straight up) instead of out, the pains in the back of my knees is there the next day (and it really hurts quite a lot, plus, sharp pains can't be good right?). Can this be because I've got turned in hips? If not, why is this happening? Also, do I really need the ballet lesson like stretch for skating or is it ok if I can get my leg up really high but with the toes turned out?

2. Back/shoulder tension and inside spread eagles and such

With my turned in hips, I didn't think I'd be able to do it. Apparently, on roller skates I can though (and I can lay the inside edge flatter each time too, making me hopeful I'll be able to translate this to ice sometime too). Here's the weird thing, I can only do it if I keep my arms down or sideways. If I try to bring my arms up, they either block at the shoulders (well duh, that's how the shoulder joint works) and don't go up or I lose tension in my shoulders and sort of just go onto a really deep edge and have to 3-turn out of it. How can I bring my arms up without losing that tension? This one's just for the sake of messing around and understanding how the body and physics work really, don't quite know what this may be useful for at this point.

rsk8d
07-24-2010, 08:13 PM
1. Leg stretches: You are feeling your hamstrings behind the knee, as that is where they insert. You most likely get the sharp pains because they are tight and they are being overstretched past their 'breaking point'. The pain eases when you turn your toes outward, as this rotates the hip outward. By rotating the hip outward, you are putting less stress on the hamstring (and cheating! :) ) and not getting an effective stretch. The Y spiral does not hurt as much because of the external rotation of the hip. The best way to stretch your hamstrings, to isolate the muscle most effectively, is to lie on your back with both legs straight on the floor. Attach a strap or belt to one foot and bring that leg straight up until you feel a stretch behind the upper leg and knee. Make sure your hips are squared and on the floor, and the stretching leg is not out to the side. you can easily fool yourself and think you have flexible hamstrings by turning your hip out, making the leg go farther.

2. What do you you mean by moving your arms sideways? Also, which way do you raise your arms when you are having trouble? I'm hypothesizing that when you raise your arms, you start to extend from your lower back, and this blocks the pelvis and hip motion that allows you to stay on the inside edge.

Sessy
07-25-2010, 01:27 AM
I just sort of have them point sideways and a little bit backward I suppose and then I try to raise them up. Like --> T and then I'd like to point them to Y but they don't go further up than T cuz the shoulders block. And if I try to put them up further, I have to keep the arms sideways and a little bit forward instead of a little bit backward, and then I lose the edge... Lower back tension you say huh... I'll have to try that.

The thing is I feel a stretch even if - if I'm standing up - I bend over to put my fingertips on my knees. Anything lower I already need to bend my knees cuz I can't. 8O I was never able to reach my toes even as a kid. Can I really still stretch them safely even though they're so inflexible? 8O And do I really need to stretch them? If so, what element for?

doubletoe
07-27-2010, 12:39 AM
The thing is I feel a stretch even if - if I'm standing up - I bend over to put my fingertips on my knees. Anything lower I already need to bend my knees cuz I can't. 8O I was never able to reach my toes even as a kid. Can I really still stretch them safely even though they're so inflexible? 8O And do I really need to stretch them? If so, what element for?

The stretches that were already suggested are the same ones my physical therapist gave me and they are great. You should still stretch the hamstrings, just to increase flexibility and balance out the pull on your knees between the opposing muscles (and help prevent injury). But of course if you need a *skating* reason to stretch them, how about cannonball spins and spirals? The important thing is to stretch in the correct position and once you feel a stretch--but not pain--hold that position for a full 30 seconds. It will probably loosen up a little bit and you can push slightly farther and hold that for another 30 seconds. Then switch to the other leg.

GoSveta
07-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Stretching also strengthens the muscles, in addition to making them more flexible. Flexible muscles are less prone to injury (overstretching/bouncing can injure them, though, so be careful). Stronger muscles are less prone to injury.

If your skate slips and you fall down in a semi-split, your chances of pulling a muscle (ie injury) is much higher if your muscles are inflexible. That goes for arms as well. Falling badly, if your arms/shoulders are inflexible you can easily dislocate it, pull a muscle, and in some cases even break a limb.

Just stretch as far as you can comfortably go, hold, and do some reps. In time, you will gain some flexibility. If you feel there is something anatomically or medically wrong, you should see a doctor to make sure you're not risking anything.

You don't have to be super duper gymnast flexible, but neglecting to stretch is bad. You should try to stretch everything (as far as you can comfortably go, without bounding and pulling too much) before and -imo, even- after skating.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Oh, and remember to stretch both sides as well. Or your body will become imbalanced. I'm trying to work out of that myself. That's part of what has made me so one-sided (that, and neglecting doing my elements in the other direction).

doubletoe
07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
You should try to stretch everything (as far as you can comfortably go, without bounding and pulling too much) before and -imo, even- after skating.

Just remember, *never* stretch cold muscles. Some gentle dynamic stretches (like leg swings, etc) are OK before skating, but save the static stretches for afterwards, when your muscles are very warm.