View Full Version : AN 2011 where is it?

herniated
07-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Ok, I haven't heard anything lately....has anyone heard ANYTHING about where it is or where it might be? Don't bite my head off if this has been covered recently.

As of August 7th, 2010:

Well they've listed sectionals <snip> Las Vegas, Dearborn, MI, and Pittsburgh. 2/25-27/2011.

Adult Nationals April 12 -16.
via a friend's FB page: Salt Lake City!

rlichtefeld
07-22-2010, 04:39 PM
The deadline for the bids to be in is July 23, tomorrow. Then, they'll have to be reviewed.

Rob

Terri C
07-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Since the deadline is tomorrow, let's all start to feel like little kids anticipating Christmas as we await the announcement.

manleywoman
07-24-2010, 03:41 PM
It doesn't leave any club much time to get ready. When we bid for Chicago in 2007, we started the bid process in summer of 2005.

coskater64
07-24-2010, 04:40 PM
I know a CO club put in a bid!:lol::halo::halo:

jazzpants
07-24-2010, 11:18 PM
OOOOH, better train for high altitudes then... And I haven't done a program since AN 2009!!! 8O 8O 8O

RachelSk8er
07-26-2010, 08:14 AM
OOOOH, better train for high altitudes then... And I haven't done a program since AN 2009!!! 8O 8O 8O

I don't think the altitude myth is as bad as what everyone thinks it is, especially if you're only doing a 1:50 bronze free. I've competed in CO before and didn't feel any different doing 3:30 and 4:30 synchro programs (with back-to-back run thrus on practice ice). You might feel it on practice ice if you're working hard, but that's really about it. Unless you're already sick--the Haydenettes had a stomach flu going around at nationals in 07 and half the team had it, and after their long program a few of them needed oxygen. Just start doing cardio, double run-thrus and stay healthy, which is what you should be doing during the season anyway. Get there a day earlier than you normally would and pick up a few extra practices if you're worried about it. But really I think the altitude issues come into play more with distance runners and other endurance-type athletes.

sk8er1964
07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Altitude effects different people differently.

I had a lot of problems with the altitude when I competed at Adult Mids in Colorado Springs. Granted, I was having an asthma flare up at the time and was on a lot of medications. However, I also had some breathing problems when we vacationed in Yellowstone a couple of years ago when we got up into some of the mountain passes, and I was healthy that trip.

If AN is in Colorado Springs I'll probably pass on it. I was hoping for something driveable from the Great Lakes or something out East.

Stormy
07-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Colorado defintiely wouldn't be my first choice....but since clubs aren't falling all over themselves trying to bid, I guess beggars can't be choosers. :)

manleywoman
07-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Well I am one who would love an excuse to go to Colorado.

RachelSk8er
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
At least there's a good chance of it being sunny in CO that time of year for the 10 minutes of each day that we're outdoors and not in the rink. Not really warm, but I'll take sunny (we don't get that in Cleveland).

Although we expected crappy weather in Minneapolis and we were pleasantly surprised this year.

jazzpants
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I have no idea how I'm affected by altitude. I mean I rarely travel. I don't even go to Tahoe. (This would probably be where I would be traveling to get my practice in a high altitude setting...) That's why I ask that question.

I'm thankful I don't have asthma, already do anaerobic off ice exercises to handle the double runthrus and even have a plan to gradually build up to doing double runthrus. I've been using a periodization schedule since preparing for AN 2008. (Which reminds me, I'm gonna have to decide soon though whether or not I'm competing this year at AN. I have to get my primary coach to put together a NEW technical program!!! 8O )

sk8lady
07-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Depends where you are in Colorado. The higher you are, the more likely you are to feel the altitude. I went to a skating camp in Breckenridge (base altitude 9600 feet) a number of years ago and couldn't believe how little it took to wind me the first couple of days. The skaters there told me I was actually doing pretty well. (My niece got altitude sickness during a day hike and had to spend some time in bed--ick.) There were some skaters there from Vail on the weekend, getting an extra workout from having to skate in the higher altitude, which I thought was interesting.

JulieN
07-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Really?? Which club? If it's in Colorado, I'll compete for sure! I haven't been to Adult Nationals since 2004!

pairman2
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Just speaking about the novelty of the experience (not AN) Breckenridge would wipe out most skaters. Forget full program run through's, a single moves pattern takes serious recovery time! Having said that, the rink there is beautiful and worth putting on any skaters wish list of places to skate.

I'm not sure it would be practical to hold an AN over 4000-5000' El.

sk8er1964
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
I assumed coskater meant Colorado Springs.

Mel On Ice
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I met a lady from Colorado Springs at the airport over the weekend. She knew nothing about skating. Isn't that against the law? :D

sk8er1964
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Is that like someone from Detroit knowing nothing about Motown music?

manleywoman
07-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm from Philly and have never had a cheesesteak.

flying~camel
07-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm from Chicago and have never been inside the Willis (Sears) Tower...

RachelSk8er
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
From Cleveland and never been to the Rock Hall.

I'm from Philly and have never had a cheesesteak.

OK now that is unfortunate. I'm not a huge avid conniseur but ya gotta do it once.

flo
07-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I'd like the dates so I can see if it falls on spring break or overlaps with the Italy competition, which is in April.

Stormy
08-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I heard that USFS will let clubs know by end of business today if they've been selected? At this point I am dying to know!!!!

climbsk8
08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah, the suspense is killing me!

RachelSk8er
08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm sure that between facebook/twitter/internet forums/yahoo groups/texting/emailing and every other mode of communication out there, those of us regulars will know within seconds of it being announced...lol.

jazzpants
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I've never been to the Coit Tower or Beach Blanket Babylon and I've lived in the Bay Area for 35+ years. :lol:

But I have had Philly Cheesesteak and lemme tell 'ya, I wish I didn't have a dairy allergy or be on a diet, cuz that's GOOD EATIN'!!!! :yum:

Okay I have heard of three locations so far bidding:

Hackensack, NJ (this could be a rumor..)
Colorado Spring, CO (confirmed by coskater)
Salt Lake City, UT (confirmed by an outside source who emailed me privately to tell me about this.)

My question is... what can I do at Colorado Springs and at Salt Lake City besides skating and getting drunk at Competitor's Party? (Not that there's anything WRONG with the latter... :twisted: :lol: )

Purple Sparkly
08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
My question is... what can I do at Colorado Springs and at Salt Lake City besides skating and getting drunk at Competitor's Party? (Not that there's anything WRONG with the latter... :twisted: :lol: )
Regardless of what else there is to do, at the last three ANs (I wasn't even in Chicago for 24 hours, so we won't count that AN), I don't think I have really done anything besides those two things. (Actually, I didn't go to the competitor's party in Lake Placid and I didn't get drunk at the party last year, but in Grand Rapids, there was intoxification and iBananas and pictures to prove it)

icedancer2
08-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I've never been to the Coit Tower or Beach Blanket Babylon and I've lived in the Bay Area for 35+ years. :lol:

:twisted: :lol: )

Unbelievable! I had a friend who lived in Coit tower (yup - there is an apartment up there - kind of oddly shaped... and LOVE BBB!!

I root for San Francisco! (just kidding, you will never see me at AN, LOL)

jazzpants
08-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Regardless of what else there is to do, at the last three ANs (I wasn't even in Chicago for 24 hours, so we won't count that AN), I don't think I have really done anything besides those two things. (Actually, I didn't go to the competitor's party in Lake Placid and I didn't get drunk at the party last year, but in Grand Rapids, there was intoxification and iBananas and pictures to prove it)What goes on in Lake Placid and Grand Rapids STAYS there!!! :twisted: :lol: (Yeah, I remember the iBanana phone! I've seen the prototype for it back at Lake Placid. :lol: )

Okay I sorta take it back about Coit Tower. I've been to Julius Castle (which is near Coit Tower...) twice. Beautiful view, but food and service SUCKS for the price. :frus:

sk8er1964
08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Salt Lake has some really weird alcohol laws, unless it's changed since I was there in the late 80's. When we stayed in a hotel, we had to go from the restaurant to a small room across the hall, where they sold us airline bottles of liquor, then back to the restaurant where they sold us the mixer. 8O

AgnesNitt
08-03-2010, 06:20 PM

I believe the Museum of Figure Skating is at Colorado Spring, and there's some kind of Olympic training place, Breckinridge, the Air Force Academy, and Pike's Peak. Is that enough?

TreSk8sAZ
08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I believe the Museum of Figure Skating is at Colorado Spring, and there's some kind of Olympic training place, Breckinridge, the Air Force Academy, and Pike's Peak. Is that enough?

Well, Colorado Springs is the hq for USFSA, so yes, there is the Figure Skating Museum. The Olympic Training Center is always cool to see - when I was there the elite figure skaters were as well. USAFA (The Air Force Academy) is amazing to go see, the inter-faith Chapels are beautiful. The Cheyenne Mountain zoo is actually unique and fun. Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak are amazing for nature type stuff, and old town has a fun vibe as well. Not to mention Manitou Springs, the cave dwellings, etc.

(Can you tell I enjoyed my summer there with the Air Force?)

I wonder which rink in Salt Lake bid? Anything to do with the Olympic facilities there?

AgnesNitt
08-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh yeah, Garden of the Gods. There was some kind of camera obscura there too, wasn't there. I'd forgotten about that. What about Chapel of the Sun. That was a gorgeous view.

AgnesNitt
08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Oh, and I forgot.
Jazzpants, it's another chance to see Mr. Special again and see how his doubles are going.:evil:;)

MarciajsR
08-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Times have changed in Salt Lake. No more private clubs. Essentially liquor is now served as it is in other states.

sk8er1964
08-03-2010, 07:24 PM
That's good :) (or bad, depending on whether or not you like the sale of liquor to be easy. :lol:)

jazzpants
08-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh, and I forgot.
Jazzpants, it's another chance to see Mr. Special again and see how his doubles are going.:evil:;)
"Mr. Special" has landed his axels off harness recently and last I've heard, very close to his double sal too. :bow: (But I have NOT seen videos of said axel though... :twisted: I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given that I know his coach and he confirms he's working on getting more "off ice axels" outta him.)

Meh, he's not enough incentive for me to come out of hiatus and compete at AN. But maybe for you? ;) :twisted: :lol:

RachelSk8er
08-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah Utah's liquor/alcohol laws have caught up with the times, just getting a liquor license in UT is a pain in the butt. (I work for a real estate developer that owns shopping centers/malls, UT is in my territory, you should see the paperwork that we need to fill out as the property owners so restaurants can get licensed, it's ridiculous compared to other states!)

Why are you guys worried about what there is to do outside the rink? You know very well that you will spend just about every free minute that you are not skating at the rink watching. Every year everyone says "gee I'm gonna go do all this cool stuff" but you know we never do! Although Stormy and Chris did manage to go to a Twins game and she and I also went on roller coasters in the mall one day...

I'm kind of rooting for Hackensack, since it might be worth an 8 hr drive to be able to load up the car with whatever crap I want, and not have to rent a car or deal with how much my checked luggage weighs and whatnot. And I have a few other reasons for wanting to spend a week in NJ that I won't go into right now...

mskater
08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Isn't today the day? When will we know? I do feel like a little kid again - I pick CO over NJ - sorry NJ shore but I just have no desire to enter that state. Colorado would be awesome, maybe I could get a group of fellow Ryan Janke fans and go stalk him at his church or something:]

Change of subject but have the Sectionals locations been announced?

Stormy
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Isn't today the day? When will we know? I do feel like a little kid again - I pick CO over NJ - sorry NJ shore but I just have no desire to enter that state. Colorado would be awesome, maybe I could get a group of fellow Ryan Janke fans and go stalk him at his church or something:]

Change of subject but have the Sectionals locations been announced?

I've been checking here are Facebook and my e-mail every 10 minutes for word. Nothing yet on ANs or Sectionals. :(

ETA: Of those three, Hackensack would defintiely be my first choice. Within driving distance and super close to NYC.

manleywoman
08-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Okay I have heard of three locations so far bidding:

[LIST]
Hackensack, NJ (this could be a rumor..)
Colorado Spring, CO (confirmed by coskater)
Salt Lake City, UT (confirmed by an outside source who emailed me privately to tell me about this.)

I'm thrilled about any of these choices.

coskater64
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Well it won't be at Colorado and RMFSC, they decided to go for a regional event. I was very bummed! :cry:

Terri C
08-04-2010, 03:59 PM
So now CO is out, the plot thickens. Let's also consider that Salt Lake is hosting JN's this year.So who or where could AN's be??

Mel On Ice
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Midland FSC bid on AN too, I was told

jazzpants
08-04-2010, 04:22 PM
*sigh* Not sure I want to go to SLC (unless my niece is still living there... But my hubby just told me that she's might be in Southern CA now going to a new college.) :(

I'm still hoping for Hackensack, NJ... I'm not sure I want to go to Midland, unless I want to get a bunch of Corningware cheap!!! :?? (What's there to do?)

sk8er1964
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Midland FSC bid on AN too, I was told

Our Midland or Texas? (If Midland Texas has a FSC). If it's our Midland, then WHEEE!!!! Except that means I really have to buckle down on that evil European Waltz. :lol:

daisies
08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I heard that USFS will let clubs know by end of business today if they've been selected? At this point I am dying to know!!!!

Isn't today the day? When will we know? ... Change of subject but have the Sectionals locations been announced?
Competitions Committee chair Lynn Goldman said selections for the officials (judges, technical panel, etc.) for standard-track regionals and sectionals would be made today. She didn't say anything about whether the announcement also encompasses where adult sectionals and nationals will be held. ASC chair Lexi Rohner said separately that would be sometime this week, but did not give a specific day.

Mel On Ice
08-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Our Midland or Texas? (If Midland Texas has a FSC). If it's our Midland, then WHEEE!!!! Except that means I really have to buckle down on that evil European Waltz. :lol:

yes, our Midland. At least that is what I heard 2 weeks ago.

LilJen
08-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Now THAT I could get behind. . . within driving distance! That is, assuming I can pass Bronze FS in time! (although there's always solo dance. . . )

manleywoman
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
As much as I appreciate ANs being driving distance from Chicago, I'm really tired of always going to Michigan or Minnesota for Sectionals/Nationals.

Too bad about CO. That was my first choice.

flo
08-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Wherever it is, I hope they get some adults on the LOC this time. 2009 AN was amazing!

vesperholly
08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Midland, Texas? As much as I appreciate a state I've never been to, how in the heck does one get there?? It appears to be really far away from major cities. I don't relish anything that will take a flight AND a drive — much like Lake Placid was (though I drove, it seems like transportation was a giant PITA for those flying in).

I am/was pulling for the Phoenix rumor I heard at ANs, so I could go to the Grand Canyon afterwards.

TreSk8sAZ
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I am/was pulling for the Phoenix rumor I heard at ANs, so I could go to the Grand Canyon afterwards.

False rumor unless Skating Club of Phoenix put in a bid I don't know about. I know Coyotes didn't.

vesperholly
08-05-2010, 06:09 AM
False rumor unless Skating Club of Phoenix put in a bid I don't know about. I know Coyotes didn't.

*cries*

"message is too short" :P

flying~camel
08-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Wherever it is, I hope they get some adults on the LOC this time. 2009 AN was amazing!

Thanks! We had fun hosting ANs. :)

Midland, Texas?

Midland, MI ;)

sk8er1964
08-05-2010, 09:08 AM

Midland MI has several adult skaters in their club. I don't know, if they are bidding, if these adults are on the LOC.

Midland has done regionals and Tri-States, IIRC.

RachelSk8er
08-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Midland MI has several adult skaters in their club. I don't know, if they are bidding, if these adults are on the LOC.

Midland has done regionals and Tri-States, IIRC.

Yeah Midland has plenty of adults, they have a masters synchro team (or at least did in the recent past). While they may not themselves compete at ANs, they at least get adult skating.

Pulling for Hackensack, but Midland would be OK...driving distance and all...

Terri C
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
So nothing yet?? The suspense is killing me and I'm sure other folks as well.
Midland, MI huh? I'm sure they have a Meijer- that was one of the smaller highlights of AN '09 for me.
Personally I'll take a club out west-or Hackensack- I could drive to that one!

flo
08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm more concerned about the when, as vacation is limited this year. The dates thus far for other events are:

Italy: April 24-26
France: June 3-6
ISU, Germany June 8-11

Debbie S
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
The USFSA website has now posted the lists of officials for Regionals and Sectionals. Perhaps the AN announcement is close behind? ;)

Hackensack would be nice for us within driving distance :), but I can foresee a problem with the expense of accommodations. Anything worth staying at within 100 miles of NYC will be $$$$. I could see the committee choosing a cheaper locale - unfortunately, cheaper locales tend to be harder to travel to.

Flo, I hate to break it to you ;), but taking vacation during the school year for teachers is next to impossible. Technically, you get a certain number of days off, but in reality, your principal likely won't let you take them (sick days are obviously a different story). Even if you're allowed, you may have to find your own sub. And you could get some sort of black mark on your record - perceived as not being dedicated to your job, not a team player, etc. And not to scare you, but a friend of mine who did the residency program last year (granted, she was teaching elementary school) used up all her sick days by the end of October (parents send kids to school sick) - so she had to go to work sick after that. She ended up resigning, although not for that reason.

RachelSk8er
08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Flo, I hate to break it to you ;), but taking vacation during the school year for teachers is next to impossible. Technically, you get a certain number of days off, but in reality, your principal likely won't let you take them (sick days are obviously a different story). Even if you're allowed, you may have to find your own sub. And you could get some sort of black mark on your record - perceived as not being dedicated to your job, not a team player, etc. And not to scare you, but a friend of mine who did the residency program last year (granted, she was teaching elementary school) used up all her sick days by the end of October (parents send kids to school sick) - so she had to go to work sick after that. She ended up resigning, although not for that reason.

Hence why I got the heck out of teaching (well, that and the union, horrible administrators, No Child Left Behind, a mold/asbestos-infested bulding that made me sick, lack of jobs anywhere worth working, crappy pay, guns and gang violence in my school, teachers being assaulted, and a zillion other reasons). And why I'm going to be a transactional lawyer and not a trial atty. "Sorry judge, case can't go to trial next week, I have a figure skating competition." Something tells me that might not fly, as much as friends of mine who are practicing say you can usually work around your schedule.

I was coaching synchro when I was teaching (and one of the moms of one of my skaters taught in the same school), and we just wound up calling in sick the day or two we had to go out of town and were leaving too earlyl on a Friday to work all day. So as long as you don't get sick, you probably could just call in sick for ANs, but with Facebook and everything else these days, someone is bound to find out.

jazzpants
08-05-2010, 02:10 PM
*cries*

"message is too short" :PYeah, too bad too! :( Then I could have at least ask my company to spring for the airfare there. :twisted: (My company's HQ is there.) And my boss said when I went to Vegas this past June that I MUST go to the Grand Canyon. Not 110F temps, I afraid, EEEEEK!!!! 8O

Isk8NYC
08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Rats! Now even I've been drawn into the Big Wait. When I saw Jazz's ID, I figured our ...ahem... Current Events Reporter knew who got the nod.

Back to work. Bah.

jazzpants
08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Rats! Now even I've been drawn into the Big Wait. When I saw Jazz's ID, I figured our ...ahem... Current Events Reporter knew who got the nod.

Back to work. Bah.

Me? "The current events reporter?" http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif

WHA!?!?!?! 8O I get my news HERE!!! :twisted: http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif

Isk8NYC
08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Me? "The current events reporter?" http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif

WHA!?!?!?! 8O I get my news HERE!!! :twisted: http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif
Methinks the lady doth protest too much. You know where all the bodies are buried, lol.

jazzpants
08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Methinks the lady doth protest too much. You know where all the bodies are buried, lol.The only thing I know is what is already posted here!!! :halo: :lol: (And I already told 'ya I think it's at Patsy's Parlor...) :twisted:

The last official (Lexi) thing I've heard was it would be "sometime this month." That was a couple of days ago... I knew it wouldn't be this week b/c of Gay Games. I would be surprised!

We'll probably hear more of ones that didn't make the cut and we'll probably figure out which one likely got it from that list... or be surprised and get one that was NOT on our list! :twisted: :lol: :P

My wish would be Hackensack b/c of my in-laws... BUT if I was a betting woman (I'm NOT!), I would say SLC.

Mel On Ice
08-05-2010, 06:12 PM

club members told me they were bidding while we were in the locker room at ANs. Don't know what happened after that.

Mel On Ice
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Midland, MI huh? I'm sure they have a Meijer- that was one of the smaller highlights of AN '09 for me.

Every major and minor town in Michigan has a Meijer or two. With this much enthusiasm for the Thrifty Acres, next time we bid for a competition, I'm hitting them up as a major sponsor.

flo
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks Debbie,
It should be ok. Last year, at the same school, I took off time for AN and a week in Germany. This year I'll be doing a short trip to nats, and then possibly Italy, as it's over spring break.

jazzpants
08-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Every major and minor town in Michigan has a Meijer or two. With this much enthusiasm for the Thrifty Acres, next time we bid for a competition, I'm hitting them up as a major sponsor.
Meijer sure helped us out in a couple of binds, the main one being having fruit salads and bananas for me so I stay healthy til after all my events were done. (THEN I got royally sick on BK steakhouse burger... :twisted: )

Debbie S
08-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks Debbie,
It should be ok. Last year, at the same school, I took off time for AN and a week in Germany. This year I'll be doing a short trip to nats, and then possibly Italy, as it's over spring break.But last year, you were a sub, right? It's different when you're a full-time teacher.

flo
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Last year I was a long term sub at the same school for several months.
i've already discussed this with the principal and was very up front about everything. I've been to 16 nats. Did you really think I would take a job where I could not go to AN?

Rachel, there are no delusions here. My favorite reaction when I told someone that I was going to teach HS in Baltimore city was him making the sign of the cross. The City schools are rife with problems. I have worked with this population for several years and know what I'm getting into. The pay is certainly not the same as I was getting in research, but neither are the rewards. The program I was selected for is specifically aimed to place quality teachers in high needs, hard to staff schools. I'm very realistic about what I can and can not accomplish as a teacher, and I'm looking forward to it.

Stormy
08-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Did you really think I would take a job where I could not go to AN?

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Debbie S
08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
i've already discussed this with the principal and was very up front about everything. I've been to 16 nats. Did you really think I would take a job where I could not go to AN?I guess the City schools are a bit more lenient given their staffing issues. At the first school where I taught, we got 5 days off, total. When I got strep throat (from a kid who was sent to school sick and spent the morning hanging out with the school nurse until her mother felt like coming to pick her up, who passed by me and another teacher to talk to us, then coughed right in my face w/o covering her mouth :twisted:), I took 2 days off (although I still had to call the VP the night before to dictate lesson plans, and drop off more the next day) and then came in the next 2 to just teach my classes (the official guidelines were you had to be on antibiotics for 48 hours....except I still had a fever). I didn't want to blow all my days off b/c I wanted to be able to take time to interview for other jobs for the next year. At first, the VP told me that the days counted as off b/c I wasn't in the building the whole day; when I pointed out that they didn't need a sub (not that they hired them, they just got other teachers to cover), she said she'd count them as half days.

Second year, we got 10 sick days (presumably they actually cared that teachers didn't come to school sick) and 1 personal day. At either of these schools, if you announced you were taking a few days off to compete in a figure skating competition, they would most certainly not have a favorable reaction. Particularly as a new teacher, you have to toe the line.

I'm looking for a new job now and am worried about my planned trip to Nats (Greensboro) in January. I hope I can be at a place where they give out vacation/PTO at the beginning of the year and not employment years, b/c I might not get enough accumulated. But I wouldn't mention I have a vacation coming up in the interview process. Best to wait until after you are hired and on board. (And I'll be sure to say that the tickets were bought over a year ago and are non-refundable.) You don't want to start out with a new boss thinking you're high-maintenance or less than dedicated.

I'm also going to need to take a few (sick) days to have the hardware in my leg and ankle removed, but I think/hope a new employer would be OK with that.

jazzpants
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
i've already discussed this with the principal and was very up front about everything. I've been to 16 nats. Did you really think I would take a job where I could not go to AN?I had a similar situation when I joined my company in October. It was already bad enough (not with my boss, but other people) that I was planning to take that last week of Christmas off. Of course, all was moot when the company announced a company shutdown RIGHT on the days that I was taking the vacation. :lol: :P

This year should be okay... they know I'm usually at the office and working and getting things done on time!!! That's all they care about in the end. 8-)

RachelSk8er
08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Last year I was a long term sub at the same school for several months.
i've already discussed this with the principal and was very up front about everything. I've been to 16 nats. Did you really think I would take a job where I could not go to AN?

Rachel, there are no delusions here. My favorite reaction when I told someone that I was going to teach HS in Baltimore city was him making the sign of the cross. The City schools are rife with problems. I have worked with this population for several years and know what I'm getting into. The pay is certainly not the same as I was getting in research, but neither are the rewards. The program I was selected for is specifically aimed to place quality teachers in high needs, hard to staff schools. I'm very realistic about what I can and can not accomplish as a teacher, and I'm looking forward to it.

I have some friends from grad school that ended up in Baltimore, they were doing a massive teacher hiring right when we graduated, but then everyone they were coming after was young. Good for you--I admire people who can stick with it and put up with all the crap. Teaching was never my long term plan, but it got cut even shorter when I started out in a really, really bad school (where on top of all the problems there--since it was the school in the already bad district where all the kids who got kicked out of other schools for drugs/violence got sent, I was only 23, hired 2 weeks into the school year and thrown in to fend for myself and taught in 5 different rooms--there was no curriculum, I was told to do what I wanted, but we didn't really have books or any materials either, I had no mentor or anything to go to, and every class I had was in violation because I had too many kids with IEPs to not have any aide and/or special ed teacher in the room with me). By the 2nd time I was assaulted by a student who they refused to remove from my classroom (shoved to the ground and stomped/kicked 2 days after Xmas break--and I had surgery for my back over break), it got to the point where I was scared to even go to work.

flo
08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks Rachel, you know exactly why I think it's vital that new teachers know what they are getting into. I was yelled at in my training because I told another new teacher that one of the schools offeging her an interview was rough. They were so afraid that we would scare off people! It was absurd. It does a great dis-service to the kids and teachers not to be up front about the situation and this is why there is a 30% drop off of teachers the first year!. My school is in a pretty rough area, and thre are some problems, but I know that going in.

coskater64
08-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Well they've listed sectionals and the dates for nationals.
Vegas, Dearborn, MI, and Pittsburgh. 2/25-27/2011 all sectionals.

8-)

flo
08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Adult Nationals April 12 -16.

Stormy
08-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I am so so SO dissapointed Colonial didn't get the bid for Easterns. Ugh. Although, we bid for the date the Winter Challenge is being held, to have in conjunction with Easterns and that's probably why they chose Pittsburgh. That date is a few weeks after the dates they chose.

RachelSk8er
08-06-2010, 09:57 PM
WOO HOO JOINT MIDS/EASTERNS COMPETITORS PARTY AT MY HOUSE IN CLEVELAND!!! Ha ha.

I'm so bummed these are the same darn weekend!!!! Mids is just over 2 hrs away. Easterns 1.5 in the opposite direction. Maybe I can beg the powers that be to put silver free on Saturday at one and Sunday at the other, and I'd totally do both. Otherwise I'm torn :( Although Stormy maybe I'll do mids and then come see you for Winter Challenge. Or crap, if I don't compete at mids both days I will drive out to Easterns the other and visit!!! And we can go to Ikea!!! At least the scheduling gods have smiled down on me--there are no conflicts in the spring between sectionals, ANs, roller derby bouts and law school ball!!! WOOOOO!!!!

Mids is @ my old home club. Nice rink, plenty of seating, not too cold. Nice warm-up area overlooking both rinks (assuming they let us use the upstairs for that).

Really, we're having 2 sectional competitions 4 hrs apart at the same time. That's just funny. And kind of a bummer because I'm sure if they had been different weekends, more of the Ohio crowd (which is growing lately) and the Detroit/Pittsburgh skaters could/would have done open events at both.

While we're talking Michigan and Pittsburgh, why is it always so windy in Ohio? Because Michigan sucks and Pittsburgh blows :)

drskater
08-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Isk8NYC
08-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Announcement from US Figure Skating:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44876

U.S. Figure Skating Announces Dates, Locations of 2011 Adult Qualifying Competitions

(8/6/10) - U.S. Figure Skating announced the dates and locations of the 2011 adult sectional championships as well as the dates of the 2011 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships. The location of the 2011 U.S. Adult Championships will be announced at a later date.

EVENT HOST CITY DATES HOST SKATING CLUB
Eastern Adult Sectional Championships Pittsburgh, Pa. Feb. 25-27, 2011 Pittsburgh FSC
Midwestern Adult Sectional Championships Dearborn, Mich. Feb. 25-27, 2011 Skate Company SC
Pacific Coast Adult Sectional Championships Las Vegas, Nev. Feb. 25-27, 2011 Las Vegas SC
U.S. Adult Championships TBD April 12-16, 2011 TBD

Stormy
08-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Yeah, a Facebook friend who lives in SLC is very happy and excited about something so I'm willing to bet now that's where we're headed.

skatingmonkeys
08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
The story I have heard about the salt lake bid was that they were not planning on putting a bid in however they were urged to and when rumor came back to USFSA that salt lake wasn't bidding they received a frantic phone call begging for a bid and they summited a last min bid.
I know a few skaters that would be thrilled to have it in their own backyard.

drskater
08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Yep, my FB friend is in SLC right now and swears up and down ANs is going to be held there. S/he insists s/he's privy to insider information.

Isk8NYC
08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
When was the last time AN was in that area? Maybe the USFSA wanted to have it in a certain section of the country this year, to balance prior years' locations?

That's a lot of work for the LOC - Salt Lake is also hosting Jr. Nats, right?

Stormy
08-07-2010, 01:53 PM
When was the last time AN was in that area? Maybe the USFSA wanted to have it in a certain section of the country this year, to balance prior years' locations?

That's a lot of work for the LOC - Salt Lake is also hosting Jr. Nats, right?

Yes, they are having JNs at the end of this year. That is two major undertakings in a short amount of time.

RachelSk8er
08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, they are having JNs at the end of this year. That is two major undertakings in a short amount of time.

I don't think that's a big deal...in the past 4 yrs my club has hosted 2 JNs, been the official practice rink for US Nationals, and we just found out we're doing National Showcase next year. If USFS knows a club can handle it, they seem to have no issue awarding events. Minneapolis hosted both synchro nationals and ANs last year (I think it was different clubs, and it was def different rinks though).

Once I'm done with law school and can commit to being on the LOC we'll be bidding on ANs.

flo
08-07-2010, 06:54 PM
AN has never been in Salt Lake. It's been in
Wilmington, Lake Placid, Oakland, Ann Arbor, Marlborough, Kansas City, Dallas, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Minneapolis

I think that's it.

rlichtefeld
08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
This page has a list of ANs back through 1999. If anyone has anymore, let me know and I'll update the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_figure_skating

Rob

flo
08-07-2010, 08:13 PM
1995 - Wilmington, De
1996 - Lake Placid, NY
1997 - Lake Placid, NY
1998 - Oakland, Ca
1999 - Ann Arbor, Mich

By the way, the only pin I can't find is Kansas City. If anyone knows of one for sale, I'd like to buy it. Thanks

manleywoman
08-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Chicago managed Synchro Mids/Pacifics and ANs in a matter of 6 weeks. But the majority of the volunteer base was different except for some of the organizers overlapping. So it can be done.

Yay for SLC! I've never been.

RachelSk8er
08-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Chicago managed Synchro Mids/Pacifics and ANs in a matter of 6 weeks. But the majority of the volunteer base was different except for some of the organizers overlapping. So it can be done.

Yay for SLC! I've never been.

Minneapolis also did synchro nationals in late Feb and ANs in early April last year. Again, different club and volunteer base, but I'm sure there was some overlap. Other clubs have done multiple big comps in the same season (some are just competitions that are not bid on, but USFS still has to give them the sanction and knows very well what they have planned). Ann Arbor does the biggest non-qual synchro competition every season in December (bigger than US nationals in terms of number of teams and levels offered), and this year they're hosting midwest sectionals just a few weeks before.

I think having some momentum when hosting big events might make it easier to do them back to back (versus doing them in consecutive seasons when you've had enough time for everything to get back to normal in between). Plus the clubs that have experience running big events have everything down to a science after a certain point to where it's not as hard or as big a deal to host these competitions as it may be for other clubs. They've already got most of the logistics and quirks figured out, it's just a matter of putting it all together again. SLC has done a few big events over the years (they did either a JNs or sectionals recently, I remember our dance teams going out there a year or two ago). If you're a big enough club with a big enough volunteer base so people don't get burned out, it works.

pairman2
08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
RachelSk8er

You mentioned that the your old club is hosting the mids. The announcement lists 'Skate Company SC' but there doesn't seem to be much information in the search and some others in the area had never heard of it. Is this club name correct and what rink will be used?

RachelSk8er
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
RachelSk8er

You mentioned that the your old club is hosting the mids. The announcement lists 'Skate Company SC' but there doesn't seem to be much information in the search and some others in the area had never heard of it. Is this club name correct and what rink will be used?

Weird, Dearborn FSC isn't hosting it? I saw the location and just assumed it would be them, DISC is the only rink in Dearborn and they have a handfull of adults who compete at ANs now. (Although now that I think about it, maybe it could be elsewhere, because I can't see the Crystallettes giving up weekend ice they may be able to pick up otherwise the weekend before synchro nationals).

I searched for Skate Company SC, all I found was a Facebook page. Looks like that is a TOI group out of Lincoln Park, MI. Does anyone else currently in the area know anything more?

sk8er1964
08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I haven't heard of them either. I wonder if w.w.west is involved somehow.

doubletoe
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I would be SOOOO happy to have AN in the Pacific section for the first time in 13 years!! I'm so tired of always having to pay expensive airfares and get up to compete at 3:00am my time!

Bracket1
08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Skate Club SC info off Don Korte's site:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/l_clubdetail.php?id=2132

Club Name Skate Company SC Club Type USFSA
Region Eastern Great Lakes Section Midwestern
Club Website (none, or unknown)
Rink Name Lincoln Park Community Center Rink Phone (313) 386-6869
Street 3525 Dix City/State Lincoln Park MI

coskater64
08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I did talk to someone over the weekend who did confirm that SLC did put in a bid. I talked to RMFSC in CO, they said what turned them off bidding for ANs too MANY events. That is from the president of their club.8O

I think they would use the double sheet facility in Salt Lake County which is awesome, some of the best ice I have ever skated on, and there are several other rinks in the area. It would be very nice if it was in SLC.:P

NoVa Sk8r
08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
RachelSk8er

You mentioned that the your old club is hosting the mids. The announcement lists 'Skate Company SC' but there doesn't seem to be much information in the search and some others in the area had never heard of it. Is this club name correct and what rink will be used?USFSA link:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=44878

pairman2
08-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Links to a website for the club and rink would probably be most useful, if they exist.

RachelSk8er
08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
USFSA link:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=44878

Hmm I didn't realize UM-Dearborn had its own rink.

sk8er1964
08-10-2010, 08:55 AM
The only time I've been at U of M-D's rink was during a hockey tournament. It was a messy dump. Broken toilets, overflowing trash cans, no toilet paper etc. :(

Clarice
08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
The only time I've been at U of M-D's rink was during a hockey tournament. It was a messy dump. Broken toilets, overflowing trash cans, no toilet paper etc. :(

If it's that bad, maybe I'll end up in Pittsburgh instead. Can somebody local check this rink out and report back?

sk8er1964
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Hopefully it was just because of the amount of people there for the hockey tournament. Maybe the LOC can get maintenance to do a better job with a smaller event.

I have no idea what the ice is like, having only been a spectator.

RachelSk8er
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Hopefully it was just because of the amount of people there for the hockey tournament. Maybe the LOC can get maintenance to do a better job with a smaller event.

I have no idea what the ice is like, having only been a spectator.

Bah I was really hoping it was at the DISC :(, I miss skating there! Maybe I'll go to Pittsburgh instead since I'll see all the midwest peeps at Buckeye and Wyandotte. Vegas would be sweet but my partner in crime has to be in Pittsburgh to do champ gold, and if I'm ever going to do any competition in Vegas, she needs to be there with me. Someone has to keep me company when I/we get arrested for disorderly conduct or assault with a foam weapon.

ZOMG Stormy if I come to Pittsburgh we can go to IKEA and pretend we live in their little model rooms since we didn't have time at ANs.

pairman2
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.adultpairskating.com/page3/page3.html

Check out the links here in the news section to get all the info currently available about all of the sectionals to the best of our knowledge.

Stormy
08-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Bah I was really hoping it was at the DISC :(, I miss skating there! Maybe I'll go to Pittsburgh instead since I'll see all the midwest peeps at Buckeye and Wyandotte. Vegas would be sweet but my partner in crime has to be in Pittsburgh to do champ gold, and if I'm ever going to do any competition in Vegas, she needs to be there with me. Someone has to keep me company when I/we get arrested for disorderly conduct or assault with a foam weapon.

ZOMG Stormy if I come to Pittsburgh we can go to IKEA and pretend we live in their little model rooms since we didn't have time at ANs.

We'll go to Vegas toting our foam weapons someday....I promise! That would be great if you came to Easterns again, though. I'll need the moral support....and an IKEA visit!

Terri C
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I did some homework on the SLC rink and found this:

www.recreation.slco.org/SLCSportspoliciesAndfees/General.html

In other words gang, no alcoholic beverages are allowed on the premisis. That would mean no champaigne handoff (it's my turn, how am I supposed to do this??), no vodka nips (sorry NoVa).

jazzpants
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM

www.recreation.slco.org/SLCSportspoliciesAndfees/General.html (http://www.recreation.slco.org/SLCSportspoliciesAndfees/General.html)

In other words gang, no alcoholic beverages are allowed on the premisis. That would mean no champaigne handoff (it's my turn, how am I supposed to do this??), no vodka nips (sorry NoVa).
So much for putting the "adult" in "Adults National," huh? :??

Clarice
08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
So much for putting the "adult" in "Adults National," huh? :??

Then we'll just have to throw, um... other things. :P

skatingmonkeys
08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Salt lake figure skating club can be found at http://www.saltlakefigureskating.com/

jazzpants
08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Then we'll just have to throw, um... other things. :P
Oh. rlichtefeld (http://www.skatingforums.com/member.php?u=6098)..... :P :lol:

AgnesNitt
08-10-2010, 06:11 PM

I went to the page and it's gone now. MAybe someone read your comment and it's being revised to say "Except for competitions for adults only."

drskater
08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
You guys are hilarious!

RachelSk8er
08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
We'll go to Vegas toting our foam weapons someday....I promise! That would be great if you came to Easterns again, though. I'll need the moral support....and an IKEA visit!

Plus my guy bff finds out in 2 weeks if he's transferring jobs to Pittsburgh and I've already informed him that if it happens, he will have visitors staying with him that weekend :). So we may not need a hotel. I may even let him come watch me skate since he's on the list of friends who are allowed to do so without making me nervous/flip out (he played hockey, we grew up together, he's seen me skate 9,503,295 times over the years).

Um...since when do "no alcohol" rules matter? Vodka water bottles, anyone?

NoVa Sk8r
08-10-2010, 11:11 PM

In other words gang, no alcoholic beverages are allowed on the premisis. That would mean no champaigne handoff (it's my turn, how am I supposed to do this??), no vodka nips (sorry NoVa).Here's another link to the rules:
http://www.recreation.slco.org/admin/policiesAndFees/policiesGeneral.html

No vodka nips? :cry:8O
I'm sure Rob L. will find a way! ;)

jazzpants
08-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Um...since when do "no alcohol" rules matter? Vodka water bottles, anyone?Shhhh... you'll blow my cover.... ;)

rlichtefeld
08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Here's another link to the rules:
http://www.recreation.slco.org/admin/policiesAndFees/policiesGeneral.html

No vodka nips? :cry:8O
I'm sure Rob L. will find a way! ;)

I guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is. Is straight vodka an "alcoholic beverage"? Or, is it a Southern remedy for arthritis? In my opinion it works better than ibuprofen.

Besides if you take a PowerAde, GatorAde, or other types of bottles and mix your ingredients correctly, the coloring can be EXACTLY the same as the original ingredients.

In the immortal words of Bluto in Animal House: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Rob

RachelSk8er
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is. Is straight vodka an "alcoholic beverage"? Or, is it a Southern remedy for arthritis? In my opinion it works better than ibuprofen.

Besides if you take a PowerAde, GatorAde, or other types of bottles and mix your ingredients correctly, the coloring can be EXACTLY the same as the original ingredients.

In the immortal words of Bluto in Animal House: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Rob

I was in college marching band (shocker, I was a dork! I was a flag girl though) and this was back when they made Vanilla Pepsi/Diet Vanilla Pepsi. We used to take empty 20 oz bottles, fill them with a mix of diet pepsi and vanilla schnapps, and then drink it during football games or on bus trips. Looked/tasted/smelled exactly the same as the soda.

sk8er1964
08-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I was in band too. At band camp we put rum into maple syrup bottles. It didn't look like maple syrup, but then again we didn't care. :P

flo
08-11-2010, 09:32 PM
"Rink rules"? And that has stopped us when????

SkaterBird
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM

Rob

Vodka, with a little orange juice for that all-important vitamin C, plus ibuprofen, is quite wonderful for arthritis and should be at every adult skating competition.
Mimi

Isk8NYC
08-12-2010, 07:11 AM
See - this is why Lloyd Eisler wanted to skate at Adult Nationals last year. These posts make it seem like AN is a drunken frat party, lol.

RachelSk8er
08-12-2010, 08:04 AM
See - this is why Lloyd Eisler wanted to skate at Adult Nationals last year. These posts make it seem like AN is a drunken frat party, lol.

I've described it to people as summer camp for adults. Because when you get in on Monday/Tuesday, it's so exciting to see all your friends, many of whom you haven't seen in a year (or only get to see at competitions a few times a year), you act like a kid all week, and by the time it's over you're sick of everyone and ready to go home.

rlichtefeld
08-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Since he has attended the last few ANs, as a coach, I think he has a good idea of what goes on.

I think he wanted to skate, because he is a true competitor. I'm guessing he saw Sargent/Joeright competing in Masters Pairs, thought he could give them a run for the money.

The only reason he didn't skate last year was that he blew out his shoulder.

I haven't heard if he and Colleen are back skating again.

Rob

Mel On Ice
08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
does anyone remember generic products, black and white labels with the item stencilled on the package? If it is SLC, we can create labels that say "this is not booze". We'll totally fool 'em!

http://images.goantiques.com/thumbnails2/GOE7743/GOE774304020302.jpg

AgnesNitt
08-12-2010, 08:19 PM
does anyone remember generic products, black and white labels with the item stencilled on the package? If it is SLC, we can create labels that say "this is not booze". We'll totally fool 'em!

http://images.goantiques.com/thumbnails2/GOE7743/GOE774304020302.jpg

You guys need to get out more. I'm a non-drinker and even I know about THIS (http://www.prankplace.com/product.aspx?d=Drinking-Stuff.Canouflage-Beer-Can-Wraps&p=5090&c=74) and This (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130299048413&rvr_id=123872680931&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=52ff433a1110a0bae540f920ffef8142&itemid=130299048413&ff4=263602_263622) and THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Beer-Covers-Under-Wraps/dp/081187088X/ref=pd_sbs_a_2). Plus the all important Instructional Video (http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-cover-a-beer-can-with-a-soda-can)

Mel On Ice
08-12-2010, 10:56 PM
You guys need to get out more.

Actually, I'd love to be home more often - to drink my BEER

rlichtefeld
08-13-2010, 06:11 AM
You guys need to get out more. I'm a non-drinker and even I know about THIS (http://www.prankplace.com/product.aspx?d=Drinking-Stuff.Canouflage-Beer-Can-Wraps&p=5090&c=74) and This (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130299048413&rvr_id=123872680931&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=52ff433a1110a0bae540f920ffef8142&itemid=130299048413&ff4=263602_263622) and THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Beer-Covers-Under-Wraps/dp/081187088X/ref=pd_sbs_a_2). Plus the all important Instructional Video (http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-cover-a-beer-can-with-a-soda-can)

This one may be the best: http://gadizmo.com/the-winerack.php

Rob

RachelSk8er
08-13-2010, 09:09 AM
This one may be the best: http://gadizmo.com/the-winerack.php

Rob

Considering my boobs (and the rest of me) have shrunk over the past 2 months, this would probably fit in my dresses...we were actually joking about something like this when we had a fitting for our bridesmaid dresses for my friend's wedding last week since mine is way too big up top. Didn't know they actually existed. Yet another silly thing I should have invented myself and made millions. (Like really, if I had woke up one day and thought "gee what people really need in life are animal shaped rubber bands" I'd be so rich right now and I would not be at work, I'd just skate all day.)

Leslie could make a killing off of a line of skating clothes with built in alcohol smuggling pockets.

Ellyn
08-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Could you fit one in your skating dress and sneak a sip midprogram? 8-)

RachelSk8er
08-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Could you fit one in your skating dress and sneak a sip midprogram? 8-)

Yeah but lord knows the last thing I need is something to make me look even more clumsy and awkward on the ice! But it would be nice to get started on the party before I even get off the ice.

Ha ha this coming from the girl who has been to 4 ANs and if you add up all the drinks I've had while at ANs over those 4 years, I can count them on one hand...I swear one of these years I'll go nuts when I'm done rather than hide somewhere with school crap and my laptop.

rlichtefeld
08-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah but lord knows the last thing I need is something to make me look even more clumsy and awkward on the ice! But it would be nice to get started on the party before I even get off the ice.

Ha ha this coming from the girl who has been to 4 ANs and if you add up all the drinks I've had while at ANs over those 4 years, I can count them on one hand...I swear one of these years I'll go nuts when I'm done rather than hide somewhere with school crap and my laptop.

Looks like I've been handed my first challenge for the upcoming season - making sure Rachel enjoys AN! Hopefully we can do more that try to get thrown out by "hanging on the boards".

Rob

Skittl1321
08-13-2010, 03:48 PM

My coach tried to convince me to take a shot before my bronze mitf test. And she's not even aware of the "adult nationals" culture of liquor on ice.

She thought it would calm my nerves. As a non-drinker, I thought it was a bad idea.

Terri C
08-13-2010, 03:58 PM
And the wait continues....

RachelSk8er
08-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Looks like I've been handed my first challenge for the upcoming season - making sure Rachel enjoys AN! Hopefully we can do more that try to get thrown out by "hanging on the boards".

Rob

Oh god...I'm scared now, I haven't been drunk in over 3 yrs. I don't know how I'll act!!! Guess you can all find out though. From what I've heard, it's pretty entertaining. As if sober Rachel isn't entertaining enough...

My coach tried to convince me to take a shot before my bronze mitf test. And she's not even aware of the "adult nationals" culture of liquor on ice.

She thought it would calm my nerves. As a non-drinker, I thought it was a bad idea.

My last synchro team did shots of pucker before we competed. A shot of that is nothing though, that stuff is like a liquid jolly rancher with a drop of alcohol. We weren't the only team with that sort of tradition, a few others def did (one team did jello shots, another actually did tequila).

drskater
08-13-2010, 05:29 PM
This discussion is the best incentive to pass Bronze that I've ever heard.

w.w.west
08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
I haven't heard of them either. I wonder if w.w.west is involved somehow.

Why yes my pretty..... how very insightful of you!

I see there has been a lot of questions and concerns posted here and will try to clear some of those up now.

The competition is indeed at the University of Michigan Dearborn Fieldhouse and not The DISC. As for the concerns of overflowed toilets and cleanliness of the facility, all I can say to that is every time I've been there either for a skating competition or volleyball tournament, it has been very clean. I believe that at any given time any large group can make any facility look undesirable fairly quickly. I was at a figure skating competition earlier this year at a fairly well kept rink and the restrooms were a mess so it can happen anywhere. I can assure you that I will mention it to the management and find out how the housekeeping will be handled that weekend.

Skate Company Skating Club is a small club based in Lincoln Park, Michigan. I recently became the Skating Director there and it is now my home club. The club is very excited to be hosting the competition and looks forward to a very successful weekend. The reason that it is not being held at our home rink is that it is a privately run rink that caters primarily to hockey. We have our annual ice show there in April and have LTS lessons. To get an entire weekend for a figure skating competition would have been almost impossible.

We are already hard at work to bring a successful and fun competition to adult skaters!

Terri C
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
This discussion is the best incentive to pass Bronze that I've ever heard.

My seventh and passing try for the Bronze free entailed a beer (or more specifically, lambic)bet with my coaches.
I had three bottles of raspberry lambic. If I were to have to retried, I would have had one bottle,with my 2 coaches getting the other 2. Since I passed, I got to keep all three!
Is that idea enough to pass Bronze??!!

sk8er1964
08-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Why yes my pretty..... how very insightful of you!

I see there has been a lot of questions and concerns posted here and will try to clear some of those up now.

The competition is indeed at the University of Michigan Dearborn Fieldhouse and not The DISC. As for the concerns of overflowed toilets and cleanliness of the facility, all I can say to that is every time I've been there either for a skating competition or volleyball tournament, it has been very clean. I believe that at any given time any large group can make any facility look undesirable fairly quickly. I was at a figure skating competition earlier this year at a fairly well kept rink and the restrooms were a mess so it can happen anywhere. I can assure you that I will mention it to the management and find out how the housekeeping will be handled that weekend.

Skate Company Skating Club is a small club based in Lincoln Park, Michigan. I recently became the Skating Director there and it is now my home club. The club is very excited to be hosting the competition and looks forward to a very successful weekend. The reason that it is not being held at our home rink is that it is a privately run rink that caters primarily to hockey. We have our annual ice show there in April and have LTS lessons. To get an entire weekend for a figure skating competition would have been almost impossible.

We are already hard at work to bring a successful and fun competition to adult skaters!

If you're involved, I know it will be good. :) Now, can you just move it back a week so I can participate? ;)

climbsk8
08-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Oh god...I'm scared now, I haven't been drunk in over 3 yrs. I don't know how I'll act!!! Guess you can all find out though. From what I've heard, it's pretty entertaining. As if sober Rachel isn't entertaining enough...

My last synchro team did shots of pucker before we competed. A shot of that is nothing though, that stuff is like a liquid jolly rancher with a drop of alcohol. We weren't the only team with that sort of tradition, a few others def did (one team did jello shots, another actually did tequila).

Well, I *did* get a little TOO happy in Grand Rapids, but I had a lot to celebrate. My buddy Amy kicked butt, her coach was there to share it, and I got to share the podium with some awesome friends (you know who you are!) The Atlanta skating mafia introduced me to Windex martinis and it went downhill from there. Rob got me safely back to my hotel (such a southern gentleman!) It took me a couple of days to recover but it was worth it!
Although I haven't had a Windex martini since ... and I never will :)

manleywoman
08-14-2010, 11:41 AM
If w.w.west is in charge, we have nothing to worry about. :)

techskater
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, I *did* get a little TOO happy in Grand Rapids, but I had a lot to celebrate. My buddy Amy kicked butt, her coach was there to share it, and I got to share the podium with some awesome friends (you know who you are!) The Atlanta skating mafia introduced me to Windex martinis and it went downhill from there. Rob got me safely back to my hotel (such a southern gentleman!) It took me a couple of days to recover but it was worth it!

I can introduce you to something just as exciting. I think I will be checking my really awesome hardside bag to ANs with some very tasty beverages. :halo:

climbsk8
08-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I can introduce you to something just as exciting. I think I will be checking my really awesome hardside bag to ANs with some very tasty beverages. :halo:

To quote my husband after I got home from that trip: "I can understand if you're flying home hungover. But flying home still drunk is a TOTALLY different matter!"

techskater
08-15-2010, 03:12 PM
You and Ro (from LP in 2008). She was still trashed on the drive back to Albany and almost missed her flight back to AR because she was sleeping it off at the gate. :P

rlichtefeld
08-15-2010, 07:03 PM

I shuttled quite a few "light weights" home that night. I think it had something to do with Banana-phones. :)

But, why would you diss a Windex martini. Not only potent, but pretty. And, asking for one will make most bartenders scratch their heads. And, it's not g*d awful like a cosmo or appletini.

For those of you not ever experiencing one yourselves, here's the recipe:
1/2 oz Blue Curacao
1/2 oz Cointreau
1 1/2 oz vodka (or more)

Put in a shaker filled with ice. Shake and pour into a martini glass. If made correctly, will mimic the color of your favorite window cleaning solution.

Rob

AgnesNitt
08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
So you have to be Bronze to skate at AN?:?:

I am so going to work harder on my skating, just to go to the skatingforums party.

Clarice
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
So you have to be Bronze to skate at AN?:?:

I am so going to work harder on my skating, just to go to the skatingforums party.

Yes, for free skating. Pre-Bronze dancers can go, but Pre-Bronze isn't the lowest test level for dance; Preliminary is. There are events for all levels at Adult Sectionals.

RachelSk8er
08-15-2010, 10:35 PM
To quote my husband after I got home from that trip: "I can understand if you're flying home hungover. But flying home still drunk is a TOTALLY different matter!"

Oh crap, I def did that like 6 yrs ago at synchro nationals. We had to leave at the airport at 5am. Stopped drinking around 4am and passed out for about an hour. That was just enough time for me to feel like total, complete, utter, still drunk crap when we got on our 6:30 AM five hour flight. A flight that was packed with what seemed like every juvenile/novice team from the East coast. And they had way too much energy...it was hell. Haven't gotten drunk at a skating competition since, not even when we won nationals.

w.w.west
08-16-2010, 11:50 AM
If you're involved, I know it will be good. :) Now, can you just move it back a week so I can participate? ;)

If w.w.west is in charge, we have nothing to worry about. :)

Awww....thanks. We look forward to it! Sorry that I can't grant your wish sk8er1964...that would be Synchro. Nationals which is the reason why we picked the current date.

jazzpants
08-16-2010, 08:23 PM

A LOOOOONG time ago, I took Nyquil the night before to try to get myself drowsy enough to sleep for a Saturday morning test session. Not only did it NOT help in getting me to sleep but I ended up with a hangover headache during the test session and I was STILL nervous as all hell!!! THANKFULLY that was my Pre-Bronze FS test and I passed on the first shot. (I know... "shot" is an interesting choice of words... :twisted: )

Needless to say, I didn't try that on future test sessions!!! :P

AgnesNitt
08-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I happened to be watching the Mountain Cup 2007 Figures competition here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v25han4mbs&feature=related). I like the trolley dollies, although I don't know enough german to understand the chatter. Notice champagne and snacks on a silver tray on the rink for competitors. Very classy. Is AN that good?

flo
08-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Probably the only thing that the group in Michigan did not do! We did have champange at the ISU draw party in Germany.
Nationals can range from the best, at Lake Placid, Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids, to the lacking, as in Oakland, Dallas, and the "Do It Yourself" Nationals last year. It really depends on the LOC.

sk8er1964
08-21-2010, 08:36 PM
In the immortal words of Judge Smails (Caddyshack).....

Well, we're waiting!

jazzpants
08-22-2010, 03:54 PM
In the immortal words of Judge Smails (Caddyshack).....

Well, we're waiting!
Well, Lexi says the announcement is "sometime this month", I usually assumed it's probably sometime near "August 31st." And if my source of info is good, it probably would end up being that way... :P :lol:

In any case, my NYC trip has been booked and my decision to go is still a matter of 1) where it is (b/c of airfare and hotel) and 2) whether or not I can get my two programs together by Christmas. I want to do two new programs since my old technical program music is WAAAAY too fast for me and I want to do a new artistic piece that I've been wanting to do. (Doubletoe knows which piece I'm referring to... ;) ) But if it's too much going on, I might just do my old artistic for another year.

My technical program will be a surprise if my primary coach agrees with my secondary coach on the choice of music. I just have to find a dressmaker that will make the type of dress that I want...

Terri C
08-23-2010, 11:29 AM
And the wait goes on.....

jazzpants
08-24-2010, 02:23 AM
And the wait goes on.....
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/45.gif http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/45.gif http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/45.gif (Sorry! Couldn't resist an emoticon moment... ;) )

sk8er1964
08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
It'a appropriate. :lol:

Mel On Ice
08-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm starting to get annoyed. What's the holdup?

jazzpants
08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
AUUUUUUGH!!! My reply from Lexi says that it will be announced NEXT MONTH!!! :evil: :x

NoVa Sk8r
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
My guess is that the board has not officially approved the location, and their next meeting is on Sept. 7.
Previous board meeting was Aug. 2 (perhaps just before bids were due):
http://www.usfsa.org/Content/2010-11%20BoD%20Meeting%20Schedule.pdf

So hopefully by Sept. 8 everything will be official. 8-)

Stormy
08-25-2010, 07:24 AM
My guess is that the board has not officially approved the location, and their next meeting is on Sept. 7.
Previous board meeting was Aug. 2 (perhaps just before bids were due):
http://www.usfsa.org/Content/2010-11%20BoD%20Meeting%20Schedule.pdf

So hopefully by Sept. 8 everything will be official. 8-)

I was thinking this as well. We can be patient....at least we know the dates. :)

To pass the time while we wait, my club is tentatively thinking about planning to bid for ANs in 2012 or 2013 (I'm hoping for 2012). How would everyone feel about it being in the Boston area again?

sk8er1964
08-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Stormy, that would be cool. :)

sexyskates
08-25-2010, 08:10 AM
I would love a Boston area AN!

JimStanmore
08-25-2010, 08:30 AM
That would be great, Stormy.

Purple Sparkly
08-25-2010, 01:16 PM
The only time I can't go to Boston is during football season, so I should be be able to go for AN.

Just curious... does anyone know why they don't publish the bid packages a little earlier?

sk8er1964
08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
I heard nobody bid the first time around.

NoVa Sk8r
08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
To pass the time while we wait, my club is tentatively thinking about planning to bid for ANs in 2012 or 2013 (I'm hoping for 2012). How would everyone feel about it being in the Boston area again?Isn't it USFS law that Adult Nats has to be in Lake Placid every 4 years ('96, '00, '04, '08, '12?)?
:P

Purple Sparkly
08-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I heard nobody bid the first time around.

I remember they extended the deadline, but why not publish the packages before AN. Then when they extend the deadline because no clubs bid, we'll hopefully have a little location sooner than September.

daisies
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Isn't it USFS law that Adult Nats has to be in Lake Placid every 4 years ('96, '00, '04, '08, '12?)?
:P

LOL. It was also there in '97, so that throws the whole thing off. :)

jazzpants
08-25-2010, 04:03 PM
LOL. It was also there in '97, so that throws the whole thing off. :)
I'll be willing to go back to Lake Placid in 2012... and this time have our 1980 Olympics Men FS Bronze medalist put me out at the 1980 rink!!! ;) :P

NoVa: Are you looking forward to going back to ROOMERS again??? :twisted: :P :lol:

Terri C
08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Ya know... I could sit out AN '11 if AN '12 is a Boston or LP one!!

Stormy
08-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Since this does pertain to ANs as well, two new tech notifications are out:

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Technical_Notification_71.pdf
Choreo Spiral Sequence it is. This means you can still get levels on step sequences though, right?

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Technical_Notification_72.pdf
Spins will be called same as Juvenile freeskate.

jazzpants
08-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Ya know... I could sit out AN '11 if AN '12 is a Boston or LP one!!
Ditto! I wanted to revisit Boston again... this time without the annoying coworker that I had to sit with when I was visiting there. :P :twisted: :bow:

icedancer2
08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Ditto! I wanted to revisit Boston again... this time without the annoying coworker that I had to sit with when I was visiting there. :P :twisted: :bow:

Where in Boston was it held?

SK8RX
08-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Where in Boston was it held?

The New England Sports Center, Marlboro, MA in 2001.

jazzpants
08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
The New England Sports Center, Marlboro, MA in 2001.
And BTW, my last visit to Boston was business (not skating) related... and I wasn't skating back then! I was knee deep in "wedding planning mode." But even if I was skating back then, I wouldn't have been able to take off to skate b/c I was at the mercy of my coworkers and the work schedule. :frus:

That said, my (now-ex)coworkers and I had some AMAZING Italian seafood dishes there!!! :yum: