View Full Version : How to tell my coach I am interested in doing pairs?

reader_runner48
07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi! I've decided that I'd like to do pairs and even if I can't find a partner right now, I'd at least like to give it a try (ie. some off-ice lifts and maybe some on-ice stuff too.) :)

My coach coaches a couple pairs teams and has had successful ones in the past too and has said before that I and that I should do pairs. (I am a strong singles skater and am light with a small build, but am a little tall, but I don't think she seems to think that's a problem.)

Anyways, I would like to tell her that I would like to do pairs and that I would like to give it a try (and maybe even then try it with the boy at our rink, that she coaches too, who is looking for a new partner.

However, I am a bit shy and am not sure how to bring it up, or tell her. Do you have any suggestions?
All comments are greatly appreciated. :D
Thanks,
reader_runner48

sk8tmum
07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
e-mail? If you're too shy in person, can you do e-mail?

reader_runner48
07-21-2010, 09:14 PM
e-mail? If you're too shy in person, can you do e-mail?

Hi! Yes, that's a thought (I could maybe do it by email.)

However, I think it would probably be better to just bring it up in person to her, maybe in one of my lessons, or something.

I mean she is very nice and everything and I think she would actually be happy to know that I'd be interested in doing pairs (she coaches pairs too), but it's just I am shy and I don't know how to bring it up and sort of get the conversation started.

Any suggestions (from yourself, or anyone else)? All comments/tips/responses greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks,
reader_runner48

sk8ergalgal
07-21-2010, 09:28 PM
I usually bring important things up with my coach at the beginning of the lesson.. (i tend to forget to tell her by the end of the lesson). It's all personal preference I guess. Maybe if you said something about watching pairs and liking it and that you were wondering if you could give it a shot??

reader_runner48
07-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I usually bring important things up with my coach at the beginning of the lesson.. (i tend to forget to tell her by the end of the lesson). It's all personal preference I guess. Maybe if you said something about watching pairs and liking it and that you were wondering if you could give it a shot??

Hi! Thanks for the tips. Yes, I was thinking I could say something like "Is pairs hard? and then she'd probably say yes/no ...... and then say something like well why do you ask? and then I would say, well for a while I've been thinking about doing it and would like to give it a try.

Do you (or others) think that that might work?
Thanks again,
reader_runner48
PS: As said before, please keep the comments/suggetions/replies coming. They are really appreciated. :)

blue111moon
07-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Why not just tell her that you've been watching pairs and think it's something you might like to try?

The direct route is usually the best. The worst she can say is no.

sk8ergalgal
07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
The best thing you can do is just ask.. better than never saying something and regretting it. Good luck :)