View Full Version : Your skating anecdotes, everyday stories, ironies..

icestalker
07-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Bored so posting a post asking for your discoveries in your skating and perhaps some anecdotes and ironic stories. Just everyday stuff- like what frustrates you, a personal victory, or even just full-out venting. :lol:

I can't think of anything except what has recently happened. I learned the half flip- how long ago?? a year?- and it's still not much of a jump, and I always hesitate in jumping it- but I learnt a full flip yesterday and landed it today, with plenty of fearless falling and skidding all over the place. Makes me want to pull my hair out.
Irony? I can now do a big beautiful half flip. I thought the half flip was supposed to be a helpful jump to step up to learning a full flip, not the other way round?? Perhaps I should do full lutzes and then work on the half lutz? :evil:

Your turn! Anyone else who was instantly better at full flip than half flip?

icedancer2
07-21-2010, 08:23 PM
When I was a kid learning to skate there was no such thing as a half flip. You went from learning a toe-loop to learning the flip.

The half-flip is a totally awkward jump, like a bunny hop... ugh.

Give me a big old flip any day.

My biggest irony right now is that right after I have a GREAT skate I do something to hurt myself and am off the ice for a while. The last thing was two weeks ago today, had a great skate in the morning, came home, took off my shoes, made lunch, walked out to the patio and slammed my bare foot into the patio furniture.

Totally swollen, not broken but NO WAY was I going to put on a skate any time soon.

Skated yesterday and the day before, painfully, feeling like I was starting over...again.:giveup:

ibreakhearts66
07-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Ah I can definitely vent. It's about skating and about my mentality.

I've essentially been off the ice for 3 months now. I didn't skate at all for 7 weeks, then I skated twice, then didn't skate for about 6 more weeks. NORMAL people would expect to be a little rusty. I through fits.

I was getting SO frustrated. I would fall, get up, skate around, fall, get up, skate around, groan, get up, get water, fall, groan etc. I know I shouldn't expect myself to miss 3 months and not miss a beat, but it's never been THIS hard for me to come back. One of my friends from my program had sent me a text on my way to the rink reminding me not to set too high expectations. I told my coach this and she just said, "Ummmm has this girl MET you?!" I've been off for a while due to injury before, but I've generally been able to get everything back in a session or two. This time, however, I get to deal with my body "changing." It's like instant puberty, I tell ya!

I eventually decided not to be a total masochist and put a hip pad in, then I gave up and worked on spins which were luckily not totally off.

I also randomly had a dream about novice moves last night. I kept skating into the wall on the rocker choctaws. I think that might have been more of a premonition, knowing my history with the boards...

Sessy
07-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Oldie but goodie. Girl in rental skates who can barely push forward on them has boyfriend come up to me a few years ago and ask me to teach her the (forward) biellmann spiral, which I was practicing at the time. So I kept insisting it was a really bad idea to try if she wasn't good at skating and that she could hurt herself... She kept insisting I show her, so well, I did (how to grab the blade and a bit of body position)... To my surprise, she goes and does a forward biellmann in 1 try at about the pace of oh I don't know, 2 inches per second on the ice, but a very nice biellmann too. Turns out the girl worked in the circus doing acrobatics on top of horses. :lol::twisted: She *could* have started out by telling that when I expressed concerns about her falling, lol. I've seriously never seen someone who couldn't skate just go and do a biellmann before.

Also, I just discovered the toe stops on my snow whites are actually adjustable. After like three years of owning them. I feel seriously stupid now.

sk8joyful
07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Oldie but goodie.
Girl in rental skates who can barely push forward on them ask me to teach her the (forward) biellmann spiral, which I was practicing at the time.
So I kept insisting it was a really bad idea to try if she wasn't good at skating and that she could hurt herself... She kept insisting I show her, so well, I did (how to grab the blade and a bit of body position)... To my surprise, she goes and does a forward biellmann in 1 try, a very nice biellmann too.
Turns out the girl worked in the circus doing acrobatics on top of horses. :lol: :twisted:
I've seriously never seen someone who couldn't skate just go and do a biellmann before.

Haven't posted here for over 2 months, since the last time I got intimidated here.

Thanks for sharing this. - Altho I don't have 9/10 of the skills others here write about, the (forward) biellmann spiral is one of my 7 goals, and
during some practices I try to do it a bit. - Much of my challenge is just Committing to moves.
Maybe we could have a thread about this, like how :?: do we go about this process of Committing...

Morgail
07-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Maybe we could have a thread about this, like how :?: do we go about this process of Committing...

Good idea. I tell myself, today I will practice my footwork 5 times. And then I put it off in favor of jumping or spirals or whatever else floats my boat...anything but footwork. For Moves, I made myself go through the whole set before doing anything else. Maybe I should do that with footwork.

I also have issues fully committing to jumps, especially the Big Scary Axel.

The other day I realized how much I love those sessions where I can just let go and skate all out. They're usually the sessions where there are only a few other skaters, so I don't have to dodge programs and harness lessons and itty bitty kids. Those are the sessions where I (somehow) push through even if my jumps are off or I can't center a spin, and I skate just as hard as I can. Then I look at the clock and wish for another hour at the end of the session. I LOVE those practices. I wish they happened more often.

icestalker
07-23-2010, 08:29 PM
When I was a kid learning to skate there was no such thing as a half flip. You went from learning a toe-loop to learning the flip.
My biggest irony right now is that right after I have a GREAT skate I do something to hurt myself and am off the ice for a while.

Lucky you. Any jump landing on a toepick, forward, and then stepping off, is an EVIL JUMP.
That seems to happen to everybody at some time :frus:

I know I shouldn't expect myself to miss 3 months and not miss a beat, but it's never been THIS hard for me to come back.

Really? I thought muscle memory was always there.. perhaps you were simply too tense??

Turns out the girl worked in the circus doing acrobatics on top of horses. :lol::twisted: I've seriously never seen someone who couldn't skate just go and do a biellmann before.

Also, I just discovered the toe stops on my snow whites are actually adjustable. After like three years of owning them. I feel seriously stupid now.

hmm.. I wish I could just go and do a biellmann.. :lol:
Sorry, but I have to laugh at that one. Isn't there like a user's manual? :twisted:

Sessy
07-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Haven't posted here for over 2 months, since the last time I got intimidated here.

Thanks for sharing this. - Altho I don't have 9/10 of the skills others here write about, the (forward) biellmann spiral is one of my 7 goals, and
during some practices I try to do it a bit. - Much of my challenge is just Committing to moves.

To be honest, I think the forward biellmann is easier than the backward one. Whenever I try the backward one I just end up on my toepicks and scrape to a hold no matter how hard I try to push my heel down, :x and I only had a forward biellmann go wrong twice on ice (and once on rollers). However, all 3 times resulted in a very, very painful bellyflop... :frus: Maybe you could practice it like... with an inflatable cushion strapped to the front of your body or something? I dunno! :lol: (One of those times I flopped was on very badly scraped up and not swept ice, so definitely don't do fw. biellmanns on ice like that.)
For me, the forward biellmann sort of feels like my skate's heel is more forward than my buttocks are and my foot and leg make not a 90 degree angle but maybe 100 or 110, the back of the skate digs into the achilles just a tad, and it feels like that's what's keeping the toepick from catching the ice ( <- :lol:, I just first typed "lice" there)
Like, the leg and foot do sort of this: _/ instead of this: _|
Mind you, this is only a feeling, when you look at the video's I have of my biellmann it looks like it's just a plain 90 degree angle. Feelings are weird like that.

8-)

Isn't there like a user's manual? :twisted:

Nope, just a leaflet that points you to their website and also a cd that refused to play on any computer I tried it on. It's really silly because the unscrewing/screwing back in is also how you change your toe stops when they've worn out, and I did know that was how it was done... It just sort of never clicked with me that if you don't screw them in to the very end you can regulate how far down you want them (and yes, they stay in place even if they're not fully in even if you use them to pick and toe-step)... :lol:

anything but footwork.

One of the reasons I love the snow whites is that between the very different balance on spins and the suuuper-scary jump landings (not to mention heavy skates = less rotation), the edges, which translate very well, automatically become my practice of choice. I spent like half an hour today practicing forward crossovers cw and ccw and forward clockwise 3-turns (left inside and right outside) and then after did cw mohawks, back crossrolls, and what not. Good luck getting me to do any footwork I "already can do" when I'm on ice! :lol: On ice I'm only interested in NEW shinies! :twisted:

ibreakhearts66
07-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Really? I thought muscle memory was always there.. perhaps you were simply too tense??

I guess I should add that I left off nearly landing 2axel, so I had all of my other doubles consistent. The muscle memory is still selectively there. I remember how to rotate, but am not so good at STOPPING said rotation, so my first attempts at doubles were landing forwards, 1/2 turn overrotated. It's not like I forgot how to do everything, I just wasn't able to get back on and instantly land of all my doubles (again, only I would expect myself to be able to).

Plus, while I was off I had to re-gain much of the weight I lost, and it's a significant amount of weight, so I need to adjust to that. My muscles remember skating with a lower body weight. Just lots of adjustments, and I only get to skate once or MAYBE twice a week, so it'll definitely take time to get things back.

RachelSk8er
07-26-2010, 07:56 AM

The half-flip is a totally awkward jump, like a bunny hop... ugh.

Give me a big old flip any day.

I don't remember ever learning a half flip when I was a kid, either. I went from toes and sals to flips. It wasn't until I had to go take my pre-pre free that my coach had to go back and teach me to do a half flip. At that point I was skating synchro (called precision back then) and we did half flips in footwork all the time, so it was like "oh, that stupid thing? They call that a jump!?"

My coach is currently on a mission to turn me into a gumby. I'm almost 30 (eek) and have never been terribly flexible--I don't know if it's for his own amusement or if he actually thinks I can do this stuff or what. I could do the splits in one direction when I was like 12 and had a decent Kerrigan spiral back then, but that was about as bendy as I got. Then I quit freestyle and never needed more flexibility than that for synchro (since my senior team days were long before beilmanns, spread eagles and Y spirals were normal parts of a program).

He's actally starting to succeed, after 2 weeks I'm getting to where I can finally grab my blade on my cameley-donutish-whatever that spin is thing, rather than flailing my arm around for it until my hamstring or back cramp up. Not nearly as much success in his attempt to get me to do a back spin and yank my leg up to a Y position.

And we're working on more spin positions--cannon balls and pancakes and whatnot. Except right now my pancake is more of a 3 layered tiered cake because it's not very flat and my cannon ball is more like a giant beach ball.

Purple Sparkly
07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
And we're working on more spin positions--cannon balls and pancakes and whatnot. Except right now my pancake is more of a 3 layered tiered cake because it's not very flat and my cannon ball is more like a giant beach ball.
I call my pancake a muffin when it doesn't flatten enough.

davincisoprano1
07-30-2010, 12:06 AM
I tend to go to the public sessions right now because they're cheaper and because I'm enrolled in classes at the rink I get half off the price.

BUT since it's summer, that means tons of kids on some days. I've had my fare share of trying to keep them out of the center where the skaters try to practice, and only two guards have been helpful. The others just ignore it, even after I bring it to the attention of them that it's dangerous for them to be hanging around in the center.

But so far my most memorable moment this summer with annoying children who feel entitled, was this overweight little 5 year old with a camp who could barely stand, looked at me as I was getting on the ice as she was hanging on the wall, and says very loudly "I NEED HELP. HELP ME SKATE". I was so taken aback by the fact she'd just yelled that at me I helped her momentarily but as soon as her friends started using me to stop by grabbing my jacket and me I told her I couldn't help anymore because I had to practice.

They assume because I can skate I'm completely willing to help them.

Yesterday I had two teenagers actually politely ask me if I could help, but because it's a liability because I'm not a coach and if I help one person I will be helping the whole camp, I politely said that I wasn't allowed to because I'm not a coach. They were very nice about it which made me feel better. :)

Sometimes though, I just don't try anything, I just :giveup:.

ibreakhearts66
07-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Lol that story reminds me of what we had to do last summer. My coach runs a sort of camp over the summer, and we skate the public sessions. We tried using cones to block off the middle, but it didn't do very much good. Then she decided we should all be human cones, so we formed a circle. It was actually a pretty good idea because we could steer skaters away from the middle.

GoSveta
07-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Lol. That happened to me less than a week ago. I got on the ice and after I stroked around once, one little girls said "show me how to skate." I politely ignored her (acted like I didn't hear) and kept on going.

There were some teenagers who were trying ot mimic the moves I was doing. It was hillarious.

One girl asked me to help her skate (she didn't even know how to stroke forward), and I decided to try to lend a hand - it was her birthday and all (at least that's what she and her friends told me). 5 seconds after I ask her to bend her knees she almost falls on me. That was the end of that. I'm not going to be the subject of finger pointing when someone falls and hits their head.

icestalker
07-30-2010, 08:00 AM
I usually just pick people up. I don't help them skate. I can't count how many people I picked up off the ice yesterday, there was a camp group.

Oh and there was a dad and two little girls, the littler girl had double runners strapped to her shoes!! Poor thing just stood in place.

davincisoprano1
07-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh goodness, don't even get me started on the teenagers that mimic you. I just look, smile, and silently laugh at how stupid they look in my head. It's cute when little kids do it because they don't know any better, but when kids who are maybe 5 years younger than you, if that, it's just obnoxious. :)

Morgail
07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
They assume because I can skate I'm completely willing to help them.

Last winter, a dad approached a friend and me at an uncrowded public session and said "You should help those kids" in the most demanding tone. Luckily, we were getting ready to leave, so we just told him we had to go. That was a really uncomfortable situation. Normally, if someone asks (as opposed to demands) for help, I'll show them the basics for a couple of minutes. Then I make excuses and go back to my own practice. I want to be friendly and helpful, but I'm not a coach and don't feel comfortable doing more than that.
That situation made me think of other sports. If someone is in the middle of a golf game, would it be okay to walk up and demand that person help you learn to play golf? While swimming laps at a pool, would someone stop you and demand you teach their kid to swim?

davincisoprano1
07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Exactly morgail! I always feel a little bad not helping a kid who is seriously having trouble, but I also don't want to overstep my boundaries, be at fault for them hurting themselves, or get stuck trying to fend off other little kids.

There was a case recently in Florida (unrelated to skating but there is a tie-in, trust me) where a little girl followed a 15-year old out of a store. When he realized, he brought her back inside and told her that he'd help her find her mom because she didn't know where she was. Well, the mom saw him with the kid and cried kidnapper, when all this guy was doing was getting her back into the store. The security tape SHOWED the little girl following the guy out (no coaxing she just left her mom and followed the kid unbeknownst to him) and yet the mom still tried to get him convicted for kidnapping. Turns out the mom wasn't watching her at the checkout counter and didn't see her daughter walk off.

Now, to tie it into skating, I personally would not want a parent thinking that I was trying to take their kid or touch them against their consent, even if they were to ask me to help them skate. I would hate to have a lawsuit on my hands because of an overprotective parent.
I will gladly help my friends skate because, duh, they're my friends. I will even SOMETIMES help people my age or people I know are in skating classes or in classes with me, because it helps us both. I helped one girl who was taking lessons with BCO both sides and had her use me as something to grab if she went off balance, she was grateful and it helped both of us in technique. **EDIT** I should add that her coach saw me helping her, too, and was totally cool with it and was happy to have her see technique from someone other than just the coach. But that coach is really cool and easy going, definitely one of my favorites at the rink. :)

But my usual excuse is "I'm not a coach here, so I'm not allowed."

In my group lesson the other day, a younger girl (I'm 22, so she was prob 15) came up to the instructor and wanted to help the class. So the instructor let her. Well the entire class she kept saying "CAN I DO A WALTZ JUMP? CAN I DO A SPIN?" yada yada yada. It got to the point of annoying. She was there to "help" the class but wanted to show off instead.
I've been skating for 10 years. I'm in the class to review basics and get stronger in basic elements because I never tested and didn't compete. But I'm the most advanced in the class, so the instructor doesn't need to do much other than show me something once or twice and I go off and work on it. Well she had me run through my edges and said "Ok, go do your back outside edges." I swear this girl about flipped. She said "How does she know back edges yet?? I've not learned them!"

... uh what? (voice in my head)

I didn't hear the instructor's response, but probably something along the lines of "She's in adult 4 and has been skating a long time."

There is a lot of show offiness among the younger girls I've noticed. Don't get me wrong, when my friends find out I skate and come with me and want to see me spin, I love showing off to them, but I never show off to strangers intentionally. If I'm practicing, I'm practicing, there's no intention of showing off, even if sometimes to other people it may come across as that.
Any of you run into that problem?

Casey
07-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Your turn! Anyone else who was instantly better at full flip than half flip?

Me! I think the half jumps are all pretty silly. I end up doing half lutzes fairly often these days because I don't skate often enough and am horribly out of practice and just lack the confidence to pull off a full lutz when I try.

I also found, once I learned the flip and loop, that they were far easier than the salchow and toe loop. The loop is my favorite and it's usually the first jump I'll try, even if it has been months since I last skated. :P

Casey
07-31-2010, 12:50 AM
There were some teenagers who were trying ot mimic the moves I was doing. It was hillarious.

Yeah, I enjoy when that happens though, and usually try to help them out a bit, since they're daring enough to try things beyond their ability.

What's really irritating is when they do it in a mocking sort of way - usually teenagers in rental hockey skates that think figure skating is silly.

What I also didn't enjoy was one time when a girl who was drunk and on ecstasy (this being what she told me) claiming to have done ice dance in the past rudely insisted that I skate with her whilst she was fumbling all over the place and most obviously intoxicated and trying to feel all over me. Ummmm, no thanks. :??

GoSveta
07-31-2010, 01:40 AM
One of them said, "teach me how to be graceful." I didn't know how to react to that.

I almost said "do I really look graceful," but I thought about it...

So I just skated away and smiled.

icestalker
07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Well she had me run through my edges and said "Ok, go do your back outside edges." I swear this girl about flipped. She said "How does she know back edges yet?? I've not learned them!"

... uh what? (voice in my head)

Sounds like a spoilt, princessy brat. Does anybody raise kids right anymore?
I can go into an hour long rant about this, but I'll spare you.

Me! I think the half jumps are all pretty silly. I end up doing half lutzes fairly often these days because I don't skate often enough and am horribly out of practice and just lack the confidence to pull off a full lutz when I try.

Who invented half flip and half lutz? I will kindly strangle them. My coach made me do half flips at high speed this week, I just hate hate hate that landing. I only actually jumped about two half flips after about twenty entrances. It just embarrasses me when she's broadcasting my "fear" of half flips across the rink. Wouldn't any sane person be afraid of putting a stationary toepick in the ice at high speed, landing forward?
I think half flips encourage pre-rotating and staying over the left side, which is bad for learning full flips.

One of them said, "teach me how to be graceful." I didn't know how to react to that.

I almost said "do I really look graceful," but I thought about it...

So I just skated away and smiled.

That reminds me, after I did my program for an exhibition a week or so ago, random parents kept coming up to me and saying how good it was, and today somebody told my mom that I'm really graceful. Graceful? I am the farthest thing from graceful. I run into walls on a daily basis, for pete's sake.

I guess to public skaters, anybody who has white skates and has decent stroking looks graceful!

davincisoprano1
07-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a spoilt, princessy brat. Does anybody raise kids right anymore?
I can go into an hour long rant about this, but I'll spare you.

If you'd like I can create a new thread to rant about this. :) haha. Honestly, I understand them wanting to show that they know what to do, but it's a waste of my time and the instructor's time if you beg them to let you help in their lesson and then beg to basically just show off. Two girls in the class are just getting the hang of swizzles, the other guy is just learning crossovers, and I'm learning stuff in bronze. We're all different levels, and out of all of them I'm the most advanced. I'm working on bronze but I know my basic jumps for the most part, they just need work.

It was fine when she was trying to help the girls who couldn't skate well, but it got annoying when the coach had me reviewing crossovers and she got to close shouting "You guys are doing great!!!!". You get close, I lose my focus, and I stop because I don't want to be the cause of an accident nor do I want to run into the wall. She apologized when she realized she was distracting us. But her trying to show off the way she was was just getting annoying more than anything. The kicker was the coach told her that she could jump the last 15 minutes of the session. Honestly, she should have just kicked her off. It wasn't any better when another skater joined her to show off more. I'm there to work on my skating and learn from the coach with time I'm paying for, not there to watch her show off taking over the space that we're using by doing her jumps. That is what freestyle sessions are for and it's dangerous because there are itty bitties on the ice with us.

AgnesNitt
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
A kid came up to me today while I was booting up before public and asked if I was a coach.
It must be the tan skates.
I told her I was an adult skater.
She gave me a look as if I was a blue striped giraffe. Adult+skater did not compute.

drskater
08-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Maybe you can look at half-jumps as an element to spice up connecting moves or footwork sequences. As "jumps," all that, say, a half-flip or half-lutz teaches is how NOT to rotate....not good, imho.

airjacobs
08-11-2010, 12:47 AM
That reminds me, after I did my program for an exhibition a week or so ago, random parents kept coming up to me and saying how good it was, and today somebody told my mom that I'm really graceful. Graceful? I am the farthest thing from graceful. I run into walls on a daily basis, for pete's sake.

icestalker
08-11-2010, 08:16 AM
A kid came up to me today while I was booting up before public and asked if I was a coach.
She gave me a look as if I was a blue striped giraffe. Adult+skater did not compute.
Sad. I wish the skating community would respect adult skaters for what they are. Overcoming fear of injury, which would mean not being able to work, care for kids, possibly not even be able to drive, all for the love of skating!

Maybe you can look at half-jumps as an element to spice up connecting moves or footwork sequences. As "jumps," all that, say, a half-flip or half-lutz teaches is how NOT to rotate....not good, imho.
After this competition, I'm not doing a half flip for the next ten years :lol: which is when I will have to teach it to my poor, unsuspecting skaters.

davincisoprano1
08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
What's really irritating is when they do it in a mocking sort of way - usually teenagers in rental hockey skates that think figure skating is silly.

Is it bad that I giggle silently to myself when the people doing this sort of thing fall because they're being stupid and reckless? That probably makes me a bad person but sometimes I just get so fed up with being mocked that it's just fun to see karma in action. :)

davincisoprano1
08-11-2010, 09:44 AM

It's cute because they assume because you're older than them you should be doing triple axels because that's what they see on tv. :) I was asked when I started taking learn to skate (for basics review) by one of the parents if I was a coach! Apparently I dress like a skater (tight pants, tight jacket, all black lol) and look like a coach haha. It's flattering but then I have to admit that I am, in fact, not a coach.

Though I'm thinking about talking to my instructor today and seeing if there was a way I could help with the LTS classes, because I genuinely like seeing how excited people get when they get something right. :) I like helping the adults because I can explain it to them easier, but little kids are fun, too. :)

Isk8NYC
08-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I saw a man skating at the rink last night doing the most awkward-looking forward crossovers. I could tell he had skated/played hockey because he knew what to do, but he wasn't keeping his shoulders on the curve and something looked "off" about how he stepped down onto edges.

His skates looked like giant, thick sneakers that had slip-on shiny white plastic skates over them. He came off the ice and started to walk past me and I just couldn't stop myself from asking about his skates - they just looked so odd.

He said "You're such a figure skater! They're goalie skates." The plastic parts protect the skates from getting beat up by the pucks. I guess because they were new and shiny, plus he wasn't wearing pads over them, I never noticed they had the plastic shields before.

http://www.frankshockeyheaven.com/images/goalie_skates.jpg

Even more fascinating, he showed me the blades. They're almost flat, heel to toe, and have a sharp angle at the front, which explained the awkward crossovers. Hockey skates normally have a big curve at each end of the blade, which is why it's so difficult for beginners to use them. (They have to balance side-to-side as well as front-to-back. Backward falls are very common and scary.)

He told me that he's been talked into returning as a goalie in our adult league. He introduced me to a guy who works at the rink that I've never met before - turns out he's the adult league coordinator.

It always pays to chat someone up, you never know what you'll learn.

davincisoprano1
08-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Those are some strange skates. :) But you're not alone, I always thought hockey players all used the same style skates. But I guess at a hockey game the last thing you're focused on is what their blades look like! :lol:

Clarice
08-11-2010, 10:06 AM
That was really interesting! It can be my "learn something new" for today!

fsk8r
08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Those goalie blades have a similar look to speed skate blades (without the excessively long heels obviously).
I'd never appreciated that they had different blades for the goalkeeper. Makes sense, but I wonder what percieved advantage there is to having the flat blade. The hockey blades were designed for maneuverability and speed, so what's the goalie blade designed for?

Audryb
08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
After this competition, I'm not doing a half flip for the next ten years :lol: which is when I will have to teach it to my poor, unsuspecting skaters.

Well, except for when you have to do it to test pre-pre free...

blue111moon
08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Sad. I wish the skating community would respect adult skaters for what they are.

It's way better now than it was when I started back in 1978. I've lost count of the number of times I was told that adults can't learn to skate, that it's too hard, too dangerous, and should be left to the kids. Or that adults don't jump and should stick to dance if they absolutely have to skate. Or that adults can't compete or shouldn't compete because it's too painful for everyone else to watch them. Now I haven't heard any of that in a very long time. So the attitude has improved toward adult skaters. Just because one child had a hard time with the concept (and I get parents who assume I must be a coach all the time), it doesn't mean that everyone equates adult-wearing-skates with coach automatically. It just means that the person making the assumption hasn't really been around skating all that much or paid much attention for the last 20 years.

Isk8NYC
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
When I used to skate in Jersey City with Renatele, a parent would come up to me at every session to ask if I was an instructor. That was because the rink had no LTS/Figure Skating lessons other than the huge hockey programs. People whose kids wanted to learn jumps and spins without traveling were out of luck. I looked into offering lessons, but the JC Parks department wasn't receptive or cooperative, so I handed out brochures for Bayonne's programs, lol.

I think the perception of adults as skaters depends on how many visible adult skaters are at a given rink. Adult skaters are much more common at my current rink than my last one. Here, I've often had people assume that I'm a skater, not a coach if they see me practicing or working on choreography without a student. It's an honest mistake.

What you wear is sometimes confusing. Some of the adult skaters wear fleece jackets (some with non-skating logos) and are mistaken for coaching staff.

icestalker
08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Well, except for when you have to do it to test pre-pre free...

Oh, no...

*wail*

AgnesNitt
08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Perhaps because I look like a storybook grandmother, I get a lot of attention from the little kid contingent at any rink I skate at. I mean kids under 9 or 10. The real littles who are just learning to skate will come up and demonstrate their skills, especially spins. The more experienced littles will catch my eye then deliberately demonstrate something--lunges, teapots, and spins usually--and without a word skate away.
I've never figured out if they're showing that they're a superior skater than I am (always an exciting thing for a kid to make an adult feel inferior) or if they're demonstrating something to me because I'm the only adult out there who understands.
Anyway, I give them a big smile, applause or a thumbs up. Doing my bit to make kids feel great about their skating.

Older experienced kids will sometimes try to intimidate me by spinning or doing a hockey stop in my path of travel. As I've written elsewhere, I don't tolerate that and just yell "In a pattern here!" at them.

ChristyRN
08-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Those goalie blades have a similar look to speed skate blades (without the excessively long heels obviously).
I'd never appreciated that they had different blades for the goalkeeper. Makes sense, but I wonder what percieved advantage there is to having the flat blade. The hockey blades were designed for maneuverability and speed, so what's the goalie blade designed for?

The blades are long and flat with few openings between blade and boot to prevent pucks from getting through. I imagine it would take a tremendous amount of skill to put a puck there, but it would happen and it would be a stupid fluke goal like that that would win the Stanley Cup for my least favorite team...

I used to be friends with a goalie before I lost him in the divorce.

icestalker
08-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Today, a little girl told me the toepicks were there to push with.

Patiently showed how the toepicks are there for toe jumps and to launch off of for edge jumps..

Also, my mother said she once heard public skaters tell their friends the toepick was to stop with. Would have liked to see them try to stop with the toepick..

Oh, and a little girl (a different one) stabbed my hand with her toepick by accident. No blood, but it still hurt.

And let's not mention my splat on the ice when I caught the free foot's toepick in the ice right before trying to jump a waltz jump.

We should have a forum entirely about toepicks. toepickforums.com.

Casey
08-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Also, my mother said she once heard public skaters tell their friends the toepick was to stop with. Would have liked to see them try to stop with the toepick.
They work delightfully well for stopping - I use them for that purpose rather frequently. Well, if you're going backwards first, anyways. :P :lol:

Petlover
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Ohhhh those toepicks......

Tuesday morning the de-humidifier had been left off, the owner told the zam driver not to zam before the early freestyles, and there were about a thousand bumps on the ice. Coach said "Watch out for the bumps, if you hit one you will fall" just as I hit a bump with my toepick and went flying...... It didn't hurt, I was laughing so hard I could hardly get up :) The timing was incredible.....

sk8joyful
08-22-2010, 02:45 AM
We should have a forum entirely about toepicks. toepickforums.com.

ok. - how about a forum entirely about us continual beginners :) - you know, where we don't need to feel embarassed, posting what our particular challenges are, & what's the next thing we can practice to progress.
And
while we're at it, where people don't assume that just because we are beginner skaters, is no reflection on all the other kewl awarenesses, skills & success we've helped other people gain :)

sk8joyful
08-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Today, a little girl told me the toepicks were there to push with.

I heard that a lot of beginning skaters, use their toepicks like that, and also on fxo's, both of which are wrong. - Fortunately, I have never
fallen into that trap. :) plus I have been told: "You have the most amazing balance! - Just when it seems
(because of baaad :frus: posture), that you're gonna go splat, you manage to save yourself at the last instant. Good for you!" - Well yeah,
but what I really need is to straighten UP, lol
I have tried remembering to Look OVER the barrier; & "the ice isn't going anywhere; & I want to look people in the eye (like I usually :) do); &
I'm showing off a diamond around my neck", & all the other tricks, but alas, until I feel comfortable on (whatever), my posture drives me nuts. - Then, I read here, that all kinds of skaters, wayyyyyyy ahead of me, still have trouble with it too., sigh.

icestalker
08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
They work delightfully well for stopping - I use them for that purpose rather frequently. Well, if you're going backwards first, anyways. :P :lol:
I use them going backwards all the time, it's great because it doesn't wear down the sharpening 8-)
Coach said "Watch out for the bumps, if you hit one you will fall" just as I hit a bump with my toepick and went flying...... It didn't hurt, I was laughing so hard I could hardly get up :) The timing was incredible.....
:lol::lol::lol:
I have been told: "You have the most amazing balance! - Just when it seems
(because of baaad :frus: posture), that you're gonna go splat, you manage to save yourself at the last instant. Good for you!"
I am like this.. but I do it the way where I hop all over and look ungainly and clumsy, to where I'd have rather fallen in the first place just to look more graceful.. :bow:

Isk8NYC
08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Re: stopping with toepicks: coaches and judges HATE hearing that scrraaattttccchhhhh. It's not a sign of being skilled, let's put it that way. A backward snowplow won't wear down your sharpening any more than the dig-in-and-scratch wears down your toepicks. Just fyi.

Here's my best story:

One of my nieces was a crybaby as a child. If she scratched herself with a rosebush, she was in tears! On the ice one night, she skated off with the coach to start her lesson...and fell. More significantly, she didn't cry.

I was off-ice, retying my skates, so the laces were hanging out. I knew she was hurt badly, so I raced onto the ice to keep them from moving her and promptly belly-whopped. Figuring I had stepped on my laces, I tried to get back up, only to fall again. I had the guards on. I tore the skates off and ran across in stocking feet. My niece's leg was broken, but fortunately one of the ice dancers was an MD, so she sent me off and took charge herself. (She actually said "Are you crazy? You'll get frostbite!" It was an outdoor rink and it had to be 20 degrees that night.)

Most important lesson: if you're taking someone else's child on a trip, make sure you have a signed, notarized letter from the parents that authorizes you to make emergency medical decisions. Since I took the girls to competitions in Lake Placid and other places, I had one in my skate bag. The EMT's and ER staff were relieved to see it because it meant they wouldn't be challenged by the parents later.