View Full Version : A question about Bunga pads

abbi_1990
07-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Hi,

My heels are slipping in my boots and giving me blisters, I was wondering anyone knows if the Bunga ankle sleeves or the Bunga Boot Bumper would be better at keeping my heels in place?

Thanks

fsk8r
07-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Hi,

My heels are slipping in my boots and giving me blisters, I was wondering anyone knows if the Bunga ankle sleeves or the Bunga Boot Bumper would be better at keeping my heels in place?

Thanks

I've got the gel tubes with the front and back gel padding (can't remember if that's the boot bumper one). They've helped keep my heels in place and prevented blisters, but ultimately I've gone out and bought new boots as the slippage has been getting worse even with the gel tubes. I didn't buy bunga in the end but rather got silipos as reading here they are essentially the same and just cost slightly less. I ended up getting them from an online podiatry store as they were cheaper than the skate shops.

I've also changed laces as apparently they can stretch and not hold the boot as tightly so can create the slippage problems.

icestalker
07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi,

Thanks

You don't need Bunga pads, you need properly sized boots. Heels should never slip.

fsk8r
07-14-2010, 10:03 AM
You don't need Bunga pads, you need properly sized boots. Heels should never slip.

The boots might have been properly sized and are now beginning to break down, which was my problem. Mine still have all their ankle strength but the inside padding isn't as padded as it used to be.
I'm using the gel pads as an interim measure while I ordered and now am trying to break in the new boots.

Incidentally I tried heel grippers to start with before I moved to gel tubes. They worked for a while.

CaraSkates
07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
The boots might have been properly sized and are now beginning to break down, which was my problem. Mine still have all their ankle strength but the inside padding isn't as padded as it used to be.
I'm using the gel pads as an interim measure while I ordered and now am trying to break in the new boots.

Incidentally I tried heel grippers to start with before I moved to gel tubes. They worked for a while.

I have really narrow heels and always have this problem. I wear a split width (B in the ball of the foot, A heel) already but after I skate in them for several months the padding gets compressed and my heels slip. My boots still have plenty of ankle support. I took them to my skate guy and he cut heel inserts and glued them in. He has done this on my skates for the past 3 pairs. Works great! FWIW, I also skate with Bungas. I tried silipos once because it was sold at my skate shop (no shipping) but it was the same price as Bungas and didn't last nearly as long. My bungas last about a year and a half and the silipos felt thin and stretched out after two months.

doubletoe
07-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I have really narrow heels and always have this problem. I wear a split width (B in the ball of the foot, A heel) already but after I skate in them for several months the padding gets compressed and my heels slip.

Do you only get one width difference because you'd have to go to a custom boot if you got B-ball/AA-heel?

CaraSkates
07-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Do you only get one width difference because you'd have to go to a custom boot if you got B-ball/AA-heel?

It's something I'm going to inquire about on my next pair of boots. The problem is that the one width difference is nice and snug for about 6-9 months of skating and then compresses - at which point I get $15 inserts that usually last the rest of the boot length. I've never tried on a B-ball/AA-heel to see how that would work out.

fsk8r
07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
It's something I'm going to inquire about on my next pair of boots. The problem is that the one width difference is nice and snug for about 6-9 months of skating and then compresses - at which point I get $15 inserts that usually last the rest of the boot length. I've never tried on a B-ball/AA-heel to see how that would work out.

I'm surprised everyone doesn't get the problem with the padding compressing, but presumably having a narrow heel to start with means that you start from a disadvantage.

Clarice
07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
My boots are AA heel and B across the ball because of my bunions. They weren't custom, but I think I must have paid a little more for the split width - I can't remember. Anyway, I'm in SPTeri dance boots, and the design of the heel creates kind of a "cup" - there's no way for my heel to move like it did in my previous boots. You might check out other manufacturers when you get your next pair, and see whether a different boot design, as well as a narrower heel, might work better for you.

dbny
07-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm in SPTeri dance boots, and the design of the heel creates kind of a "cup" - there's no way for my heel to move like it did in my previous boots.
My Achilles is very straight, so a cupped heel, which they all seem to be, just means empty space behind my heel. I don't think there is really any design that is going to hold my heels firmly for very long. I stick a piece of molefoam into the back of the boot directly behind my heel, and that works until it compresses. Silipo gel sleeves pulled down over my arch work great for my ski boots. But there isn't room for them in my skates.

Skate@Delaware
07-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I have really narrow heels and always have this problem. I wear a split width (B in the ball of the foot, A heel) already but after I skate in them for several months the padding gets compressed and my heels slip. My boots still have plenty of ankle support. I took them to my skate guy and he cut heel inserts and glued them in. He has done this on my skates for the past 3 pairs. Works great! FWIW, I also skate with Bungas. I tried silipos once because it was sold at my skate shop (no shipping) but it was the same price as Bungas and didn't last nearly as long. My bungas last about a year and a half and the silipos felt thin and stretched out after two months.
I'll have to try getting those inserts-my heels are starting to slip as well and my boots are still good. I hate it when the padding compresses long before the boot breaks down!

AgnesNitt
07-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Alas, even though I have custom boots, I still need a silipos tube on the right foot. I find that frustrating.:frus:

katz in boots
07-16-2010, 03:54 AM
I tried silipos once because it was sold at my skate shop (no shipping) but it was the same price as Bungas and didn't last nearly as long. My bungas last about a year and a half and the silipos felt thin and stretched out after two months.

I had the opposite experience. I recommend silipos cos they last me way longer. Interesting...

Isk8NYC
07-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I've noticed that figure skating merchandise in pro shops tends to sit and collect dust. If the gel pads you're buying are already a year or so old, they might lose their effectiveness quickly if they weren't packaged for long-term storage.