View Full Version : Time for new blades- MK Pro or ??

Laura H
07-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I've been skating in my MK Pros for a few years now and am getting down to just a few sharpenings left - also I think the rocker is really getting flat anyway. I'm an adult skater, medium build, currently working on sit spin, loop and flip . . . and I went straight from rec blades to the MK Pro, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with different sorts of blades. Would love any input/suggestions as to whether I should just stick with the MK Pros, or are there other blades out there now that I should consider as well? I was still struggling with learning a one-foot spin and waltz jumps when I first got the MK Pros, so it's not like I had a lot of insight into how the MK blades affected my jumps & spins, LOL!! TIA for any insight/experiences you can share.

SkatEn
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
1. Ask your coach and the skates pro. Do remember that your coach might have bad experiences with certain brands/models, and that doesn't mean that those brands/models won't work for you. Your proshop guy may also be influenced by wanting to clear inventory/selling you the available blade/lack of experience.

2. Research. The search function will show up a lot of the forum posters' experiences with different blades and rocker. MK Pro has a 7' rocker. Some people love them, some people hate them.

3. Ask your fellow skaters and have a close up look of their skates. I do tend to look at the nicks etc. Seems like some blades are more prone to getting nicked.

> My experience
I wasn't every in MK Pro, but went from MK 21 to Ultima Legacy to MK Gold Stars.

No opinion on MK 21 since I had them on a wrongly-sized 250 boots when I should be wearing 235.

I loved my Legacy - held sharpenings well, not very prone to nicks, and a 8' rocker improved my spins tremendously. Downside is that the chrome tends to peel on Ultima blades(not sure if it's fixed) but that doesn't affect the integrity of the blades whatsoever.

Changed to Gold Stars because it came with the boots I downgraded to. I miss my 8' rocker. While it has large picks, I don't really need them and have gotten some fear of tripping over them. More frequent sharpenings than legacy, more frequent nicks even though I wear guards everywhere I go.

My current jumps: Landing through lutz, working on Axel and doubles.
My current spins: Spinning all basic spins forward and back, working on layback and flying camel.
154cm (5'?) 45kg 19 y/o

I really recommend Ultima to everyone since it has a lower price point and much better metal. I don't know if you're still not spinning well so I can't suggest that. Besides, the fit of your boots will affect how your blades perform.

Good Luck

Laura H
07-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't know if you're still not spinning well so I can't suggest that. Besides, the fit of your boots will affect how your blades perform.

well, I can SPIN, but I wouldn't term it "well" because spins have always been harder for me than jumps. Not sure if I can blame it on the blades or not . . . ;)

CaraSkates
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
I also went straight from a low level blade (the Sapphire on the Riedell Blue Ribbns) to MK Pros. I used the first pair for a year and then had to buy new because they didn't fit on my new boots (anyone want to buy a pair of 10 1/2" barely used MK Pros??? ;) ). I'm on my second pair and getting ready to purchase a third, these are on their last legs (4.5 years old, third pair of boots).
I have been extremely happy with them. When I started on them I was learning my singles (loop through lutz) and had taken no tests. Currently I am preparing to test Novice MIF. I have strong single jumps and combinations and work on axels/doubles occasionally. Spins - I do sit, camel, layback, back sit, back camel, pancake, catchfoot and variations/combinations of these.

I get my blades sharpened about every 30-40 hours or I notice it. Lately they haven't been holding the sharpening as long and at about 25 I start to feel it so I call and get an appt and take them up (I drive 45mins each way to a sharpener) by 30hours but I think that is because they are almost dead.

doubletoe
07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
MK Pros should be great for where you are in your skating (I used them up to the point where I got my axel). They are good for spinning, as long as you have a good sharpener who does not flatten your rocker.

SkatEn
07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Actually, if MK Pro is working very well for you, then you don't need to change. Why fix what aren't broken? ;)

But if you feel experimental, might want to change. John Wilson Coronation Ace, Ultima Legacy, Ultima Matrix Legacy etc are on the similar level. There are Jerry's ISE etc that you can look at as well.

Sessy
07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been skating in my MK Pros for a few years now and am getting down to just a few sharpenings left - also I think the rocker is really getting flat anyway. I'm an adult skater, medium build, currently working on sit spin, loop and flip . .

Coronation ace could be your thing. They're nice blades actually. Will probably require adjusting to though, not sure if you want that.

I'd advise against mk21's btw, they don't seem to hold a sharpening well so you end up sharpening twice as much - costs money and blade life, imho. Your feet aren't likely to grow.

jazzpants
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I have been using MK Pros since I got my salchows and started working on loops. Works well for me and I agree with the "if it ain't broken, why fix it?" stance.

That said, my secondary coach does HIGHLY suggest Coronation Aces to her beginning FS students though. :lol:

doubletoe
07-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Coronation Ace and MK Professional are the same level of blade with the same steel, toepick and features; they just have a slightly different rocker shape. IMHO, unless you are having trouble with your spins and/or jumps, there probably isn't any reason to switch. It would just mean an unneccessary adjustment finding your sweet spot and balance on the new blades.