View Full Version : Adult Nationals Qualifing?

skatingmonkeys
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Im not a figure skater but I have a friend that is coming back to skating after 30 or so years. We both have teen age daughters that skate and I have a younger skater also. My friend is intrested in knowing how adult nationals works do you have do go through regionals and sectionals in order to qualify or how do you qualify for the event. she was saying that she would prefere not to have to travel if possible in order to qualify for nationals.

She also mentioned that she has had a bit of contridicting info from other skaters. one skater told her she had to skate in 4 comps that are qualifing in order to go and another said that she only had to do one local qualifing comp and place in the top 4 where as our figure skating director said she had to go to the pacific coast sectionals. We are in Utah if that helps any one

rlichtefeld
07-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm assuming you mean the US Adult Nationals.
If your friend is in another country, you'll have to check with them.

It depends on the events that your friend wants to enter.

The Championship events require qualifying at Adult Sectionals. The other events are all "open" events.

Your friend would only be able qualify for the Championships events at the Gold level or above - if she is doing Axels and double jumps. At the Silver level and lower there are no Championship events.

I know this may not make sense to you, since you aren't a skater, but it may make sense to your friend.

Why not get your friend on this board??

Rob

doubletoe
07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
For Adult Bronze and Adult Silver, all Adult Nationals events are open to anyone 21 or older who has passed the corresponding freestyle test (or standard track test equivalent). No qualifying at Adult Sectionals is required.

For Adult Gold, Masters Intermediate, Masters Novice, Masters Junior and Masters Senior, Adult Nationals has open events (open to anyone 21 or over who has passed the corresponding freestyle test) as well as qualifying ("Championship") events. To enter the open events, she does not need to skate at her Adult Sectionals. However, to qualify for the Championship event for her level, she needs to place in the top 4 at the corresponding Championship event at her Adult Sectionals.

skatingmonkeys
07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
thank you both for your answers she is very excited to learn that it is an open event for her.

I have suggested that she become a member here I hope she joins

blue111moon
07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
You might also suggest that your friend get a copy of the current USFS Rulebook. The answers to a lot of her questions will be in there. Plus, it's always best to go directly to the source rather than depend on third-party answers.

rlichtefeld
07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
You might also suggest that your friend get a copy of the current USFS Rulebook. The answers to a lot of her questions will be in there. Plus, it's always best to go directly to the source rather than depend on third-party answers.

The current rulebook can be downloaded here:
http://usfsa.org/Content/Rules%20of%20Sport.pdf

And this page has lots of info about Adult Skating in USFS.
http://usfsa.org/New_Judging.asp?id=358

Rob

Mel On Ice
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
woo hoo, we got another one!

techskater
07-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I agree, Mel!!! We have one more too - a returning skater in our area!!

sk8tegirl06
07-20-2010, 09:48 PM
I've followed this thread for awhile...you may have another one. What do skaters at the bronze level typically have at ANs? Loops? Flips? Lutzes? Combo spins? Depending on where ANs are next year, I may actually do it.

RachelSk8er
07-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I've followed this thread for awhile...you may have another one. What do skaters at the bronze level typically have at ANs? Loops? Flips? Lutzes? Combo spins? Depending on where ANs are next year, I may actually do it.

Bronze varies A LOT because groups tend to be pretty big and you have anything from skaters who just passed the test to qualify them to skate and their skills aren't much beyond the test requirements to skaters who could move up to silver and even be competitive there, but are in bronze for any number of reasons (legit reasons or sandbagging). It also depends on the age class, because what the top skaters at I tend to do is more difficult than some of the older age classes (on average, of course there are always exceptions).

If you passed your bronze free, regardless of what you have, go if you can. You earned that opportunity, and it's a great experience both on and off the ice.

sk8tegirl06
07-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Bronze varies A LOT because groups tend to be pretty big and you have anything from skaters who just passed the test to qualify them to skate and their skills aren't much beyond the test requirements to skaters who could move up to silver and even be competitive there, but are in bronze for any number of reasons (legit reasons or sandbagging). It also depends on the age class, because what the top skaters at I tend to do is more difficult than some of the older age classes (on average, of course there are always exceptions).

If you passed your bronze free, regardless of what you have, go if you can. You earned that opportunity, and it's a great experience both on and off the ice.

That's kind of what I thought. Some of the bronze skaters that I have seen are my level or less and some seem to be way past my level. Once the location is revealed, I'm going to talk with my coach to see if it something I could do.

I've been testing on standard track, so I would have to pass preliminary freestyle at least? I've been working on that and pre juvenile moves. If I can add loop to the competition program for next weekend, then maybe I'll seriously consider it. (I've been working on it forever, but haven't been consistent enough for competition. Flip seems much easier, but not something I would be willing to put out in competition in 10 days.)

drskater
07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
If you subscribe to Ice network you can check out the entire ANs Bronze field for every age group. The under-50 years group were doing camels and lutzes consistently, as well as lots of loop jump combos and laybacks.