View Full Version : Forward spiral entries - options?

Laura H
07-06-2010, 09:26 AM
I am getting ready for an upcoming comp and I was trying to figure out if there is some easier (or more elegant!) way to enter my forward spiral in my program - it's a right outside forward spiral and it starts at the end of the rink (with a switch to a back spiral at center ice). So, my beginner forward spiral entry of several strong forward strokes and then rising up into the spiral is obviously not an option - it's going to have to be a more "curvy" entrance. I'm currently doing it from forward crossovers which is kind of "meh." Anyone have any favorite forward spiral entries to share? The footwork pattern up to that point is still sort of negotiable, LOL, so I can set it up to fit, but I really want that front spiral to be strong and secure.

doubletoe
07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Even top level skaters usually go into their spiral sequences from forward crossovers, since that setup provides both speed and security. If you need a really curvy entrance, you could try back CW crossovers to a left-back-outside 3-turn, then step down onto a RFO edge. It will really make you curve to the right, though. If you need less curve and more control, you could just do CW back crossovers and step forward to a RFO spiral.

Laura H
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks so much for the input, you always have such good advice!! I played around with this a bunch last night, and realized there is no reason that I can't take a couple of straight strokes across the short end of the ice and then push into a couple of strong left over right front crossovers . . . then rise up into the spiral. It goes with a big "swell" in the music and I think it will look really good. I was just getting too twisted around trying to do strictly crossovers around the end, just "user error" I'm sure. LOL.

doubletoe
07-08-2010, 05:03 PM
That's actually how I'm getting into mine, too! ;)