View Full Version : Chick Tails?

katz in boots
07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Has anyone heard of chick tails? I was talking to a skater today who has lessons with my last coach, and she taught me footwork which she called chick tails. Now I've never heard of chick tails, and a google search didn't help. I wonder if she's misinterpreted what the coach said (- coach is Russian and sometimes has very odd pronunciation, which sometimes makes me :lol:) If chick tails don't exist, I wonder if she meant choctaws?

The move is: starting on left foot (I don't know what edge it should be, she didn't say) with right foot at the front at right angles to left, swing right foot back to heel of left, step onto right foot, with free foot toe to right heel, then step back onto left foot with right foot brushing the ice to the front again turned out at right angles to left. She said you can do several in a row and start the move from backwards.

Any ideas?

phoenix
07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
That sounds like it would be choctaws, done in a row one after the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qAWM7yGYE&playnext_from=TL&videos=107Sy5QzKMw

drskater
07-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Has anyone heard of chick tails? I wonder if she's misinterpreted what the coach said (- coach is Russian and sometimes has very odd pronunciation, which sometimes makes me :lol:) If chick tails don't exist, I wonder if she meant choctaws?

LOL!!! That is pretty funny!

phoenix
07-04-2010, 01:30 PM
coach is Russian and sometimes has very odd pronunciation, which sometimes makes me :lol:)

lol! My Russian coach calls them "ChakTOWS" (rhymes w/ cow, stress on the second syllable) ;)

Clarice
07-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Yup, choctaws. My Russian coach called them "chicktaws" - she sounded so cute I never bothered to correct her!

doubletoe
07-04-2010, 01:56 PM
LOL! I think I'll start calling them "chick tails" now. It makes them sound so much less intimidating! ;)

katz in boots
07-04-2010, 06:58 PM
LOL, the first time she said mohawks I thought she said macocks.
And Aroors turned out to be errors.

Great link Phoenix, that is definitely the move, only he makes it look so easy ! The skater who showed them to me does her footwork pretty fast. Looks like they're outside/outside edges, is that correct?

phoenix
07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Great link Phoenix, that is definitely the move, only he makes it look so easy ! The skater who showed them to me does her footwork pretty fast. Looks like they're outside/outside edges, is that correct?

choctaw would be outside to inside, or vice versa. If you do outside to outside you're doing mohawks, not choctaws.

dbny
07-04-2010, 09:13 PM
These are done so quickly I bet the edges, if any, are so poorly defined that they are really not either choctaws or Mohawks. They took the three/bracket/threes out of Nov MIF for that reason - not enough edge to define the turns.

icedancer2
07-04-2010, 09:34 PM
It's true that this video is called "Mohawks" but they are done on flats.

I believe the running brackets in the Novice test were okay done on flats... they took them out because.... what was the point really except for the quick checking I guess...

katz in boots
07-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Very happy, I did some "chick tails" today ! Well, I've been trying them every week, but today got 3 in a row !
Is it really necessary to swing the free leg fwd each time though? For me it is always an afterthought to make it like the video.

Sessy
07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
We should install a script here that automatically changes chocktaw to chicktail, like it does with swear words and asterix.