View Full Version : Not Practising or Practising So Hard, July 1-17 2010

katz in boots
07-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Where is the practise thread? The last one was supposed to end 15th June, and it's already 1st July. (Happy new financial year !)

Has everyone stopped practising, or are you practising so hard you haven't got time to post here?

Isk8NYC
07-01-2010, 07:24 AM
(D) all of the above. Also, many people post their progress on their Facebook pages now and often people want to post, but no one can think of a clever (this or that) title, lol.

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Practising So Hard -
Stayed for the wonderful Tuesday Evening Cheap Skate, just a little while, because I still can't get comfortable on my new skates. It's not the boots, it's the *^&^*)(#$)( blades.

Forward spins are centered and controlled; jumps are awful; back spins are grinding into the ice and traveling. Bah.

Not Practising -
I noticed our resident skate tech hanging out, so I went over and asked him to take a look at my skates. He immediately said "left blade's too far to the outside, right blade's set inside." That's what I thought and he got upset when I said I shimmed the blades to see if I felt a difference, which I did!

So, I'm screwed.

dbny
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Not Practicing:
I have begun to develop neuropathy in my feet and one of the things to help prevent it is to stay off the feet and avoid tight shoes. So, no practice for me until I'm done with treatment, which most likely means October or November to give the chemo time to clear out of my system. I'm too tired most of the time anyway. I am continuing to teach a small number of private lessons with time between to either take off my skates or to sit and loosen them. Wish me luck.

Skate@Delaware
07-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Not Practicing:
I have begun to develop neuropathy in my feet and one of the things to help prevent it is to stay off the feet and avoid tight shoes. So, no practice for me until I'm done with treatment, which most likely means October or November to give the chemo time to clear out of my system. I'm too tired most of the time anyway. I am continuing to teach a small number of private lessons with time between to either take off my skates or to sit and loosen them. Wish me luck.
Sorry to hear that-don't wear yourself out! Would b-vitamins help the neuropathy?

Not Practicing-went over my calendar and picked out a few dates to skate with my pair partner. Not too many days but at least I can make it (I remember the summers when I went up to the pond or U of DE to skate all the time-or to the beach for fun!). I'll be anxious to see if all my plyo work is kicking in! My knee is still tender, though so I'll have to wear knee pads (grrrr!).

dbny
07-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear that-don't wear yourself out! Would b-vitamins help the neuropathy?

Thanks. I'm taking B6, magnesium, and vitamin E for it. They also were able to lower the dose of taxol I'm getting, which is the drug that causes it. This time around I'll have an extra week off, so that might help also.

Hope your knee improves soon!

katz in boots
07-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Boy, so few posts, it's weird. Is it the 'off season' or something?

Practising So Hard
Spending a lot of time on ice, doctors orders to help my neck/shoulder problems. Mainly working on stuff for our new Adult synchro team. Working out stuff for our program is challening & fun. Also helping less advanced members with their skating skills.

Am possibly going to start coaching our version of LTS, which is called Aussie Skate, and maybe have private students. I have to work out insurance first, and that's proving to be a challenge. Husband is okay with me coaching as long as it isn't a financial drain.

Not Practising
Although I'm spending a lot of time on ice, I can feel my skills degrading. Spins & jumps are gradually going downhill. Although I must stay, standing in with the coach on LTS was a revelation, and I feel renewed enthusiasm to try out what I pick up from her. Wish I could still afford to have lessons.

Laura H
07-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Practicing so hard - comp coming up on Saturday so of course my last lesson was devoted to "pre-comp breakdown" LOL . . . yeesh. Neither of my programs (freeskate or showcase) was really flowing, and had a complete blackout on my freeskate program - was in the right area of the ice, and knew I was supposed to be doing some sort of footwork, but what exactly?? 8O After giving it some thought, realized that I was supposed to be doing the ISI 3 step sequence . . . whoops! But then, ::slaps forehead in "DOH" moment" since this is a USFSA comp - heck, I can do anything I want there . . . why not substitute something I have already been practicing and can actually do well, hey, maybe something off of the Bronze moves?? Coach wholeheartedly agreed, decided to throw in a 5 step mohawk and a couple of crossovers to get me up to my spiral sequence, and the rest of the program, I actually know.

Showcase program, LOL, I did it 3 times and I think I skated a different program each time (maybe I should have ordered the DVD from the last comp so I can see what on earth I actually ended up doing last time?!). Thankfully coach is not one of those who says "never deviate." And, note to self, need to find tiara for prop in showcase program!! (not really something I have around my house, with a houseful of all males! and if I did, I might be REALLY worried!).

And, More "Practising so Hard" - got a chance to fool around on my own yesterday, and I think I have the footwork figured out for the freeskate program, I worked out a sequence full of nice deep crossovers and edges and "sweeping" transitions that I think really fits the music, have another lesson today and will see what coach thinks. May also have gotten the spiral entrance figured out, assuming I can get to the right spot in time so that it actually fits with the music . . . :giveup:

Hardly practicing - well, I had lots of low points which I actually put up above, but I did keep practicing so I just lumped them all together!! Hoping to have a good lesson today so will not be QUITE so nervous about the comp. Everything usually does come together in the end but I'd rather not have to just cross my fingers and hope for the best!!

icestalker
07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Not Practicing:

Awh- I hope it clears up- I nearly died not being able to skate for a week and three days recently, can't imagine not getting to seriously practice for months-! I wish you luck with the treatment.

Practicing so hard- Cross-foot scratch spin is coming along, I first started getting the cross Monday, nearly two weeks ago, then skated again for the first time since Monday and had my mom take a video- I am getting to where my free foot is crossed beneath the knee, and a few spins I can start sliding the foot down- am ecstatic! [sp?] Can't wait till next Thursday when I have a private lesson scheduled, and I can show my coach..!

Literally not practicing- spirals. My back goes ouchie when I try to do a spiral. Probably from sitting in the truck for 14 hours, driving back from our trip.

(Another Not Practicing, but this is from last week, on the Monday.)
I went into freestyle for the first time ever for my lesson on Monday (had previously had privates in public skate.) I was a complete basket case the whole time. 15 or so girls were in there, whizzing by at 30 mph and doing double axels. Of course I was reduced to a puddle of quivering jelly. First of all, I didn't want to be ran over, and second of all, I really did not want to get in their way. My coach insisted on my going back into freestyle next week. She gave me a time and said that there's a lot less skaters then. I am still not looking forward to it at all. But I can't do lessons in public skate because of all the hockey kids and recreational skaters that come in during the summer. So it's either get trampled by a seven year old hockey kid sliding underneath my feet or get smooshed by an Oriental girl doing a triple loop.

Skate@Delaware
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Not Practicing: HA! I should have gone skating yesterday (instead of studying all day ;)) as I got a 78 on my test (for all my effort). Class average is about 80. Sheesh!

I'm sending in my registration for The Gardens spin clinic (scheduled for August 11 & 12). Anyone else going? I'm looking forward to it, my spins have sucked ever since: 1) I lost all that weight 2) my injury & recovery. If Bobbe can't fix me, then it's hopeless!

Off-ice training proceeding well. Gained 3-4 lbs of muscle and I'm becoming more flexible.

Bill_S
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Not Practicing: Skated on my PICs tonight at the roller rink. It was 91 degrees F outdoors, and when I walked into the un-airconditioned rink, I walked into a wall of still warmer air. The uninsulated building had been closed up all day.

Practising So Hard: I didn't push my luck too much because of the real possibility of heat stroke, but managed to do the silver moves FI double three pattern, the inside slide chasse pattern and other assorted moves.

Even spins went OK, considering they were done on PIC skates instead of ice. I averaged about 4 revs per scratch spin, where I'd probably triple that on ice. Unlike toe-assisted jumps were PICs seem to encourage bad form (more shallow reach back to prevent pick skidding), I'm beginning to believe that spins, like three turns done on PICs, translate well to the ice.

One of the regular roller skaters is a nurse, and she had ice packs and even brought a blood pressure machine to the rink. After my warm up, my BP was 150/110. She wrinkled her nose over that number. Must not be so good.

I'm tempted to make another road trip to find ice time tomorrow just to keep skills current. We'll see.

Scarlett
07-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought about the Gardens Ice Clinic because my spins are abysmally bad. I'm just worried about how much I'll get out of 180 mins of ice time. It seems really pricey for so little time.

Skate@Delaware
07-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I thought about the Gardens Ice Clinic because my spins are abysmally bad. I'm just worried about how much I'll get out of 180 mins of ice time. It seems really pricey for so little time.
Well, I'm looking at the whole thing-off & on ice sessions. Bobbe has a "method" for teaching spins that seems to work (even my coach agrees with this). And, if I can get a private lesson with her, maybe she can give me additional help to overcome or compensate for my issues (due to my injury I have many ;)).

Let me know if you go!

tazsk8s
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Practicing Hard: Knee is recovering well. I've been able to "add back" nearly everything. Thankfully it isn't my landing knee so have been able to at least attempt jumps.

Had my blades sharpened and skated on them for the first time this morning. Spins were amazingly centered - wheeeeee! I did a couple of them while warming up before my coach got on the ice for my lesson and I just had to show her the tracings.8-)

Waltz, sal, and toeloop all worked, just not very big due to taking off from the left leg. Loop - ahhhh. Love that jump on freshly sharpened blades. Flip is my money jump and was going well.

Not Practicing: Lutz is toast. Again. Darn it.:frus:

Haven't even bothered trying axels since the knee injury. I did do a few waltz-backspins this morning just to keep the idea of the weight transfer, but the knee doesn't quite feel ready to attempt the jump yet.

GoSveta
07-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Well, I'm looking at the whole thing-off & on ice sessions. Bobbe has a "method" for teaching spins that seems to work (even my coach agrees with this). And, if I can get a private lesson with her, maybe she can give me additional help to overcome or compensate for my issues (due to my injury I have many ;)).

Let me know if you go!

Yes, there is a video on iCoachSkating.com, I've watched it like a thousand times, and something about going around with the opposite arm leading just doesn't sit well with me. I doubt that is my problem though... I get stuck at the hook.

Wish I could just wake up one morning and have great spins, Lol...

But who doesn't?

Practicing: Waltz Awesome, high, clean, I actually jump out now. Getting some control over my habit of looking down for landings. Landings very nice. High, Stretched, turned out leg and solid/secure edge. Can hold them forever.

Re-Learned Toe-Loop. Went well. Took like 7 minutes. I'll start doing them from speed now. Took like 5 minutes to convince her to not make me do it from a RFI 3 Turn. Small victory there.

Spins are terrible, but I actually did a few without my "training wheel." I felt like I accomplished a lot last lesson actually. It was the most productive lesson I can *vividly* remember.

Started doing off-ice training this week. At first, I thought I was going to die. I discovered muscles I didn't know exist. My entire body was in shock after the first day, I was so sore. But it actually helps... A LOT. I discovered ways to control my body that I had never thought of before, and I can already feel my ankle strength improving because of it.

Not Practicing: CW Forward Crossovers getting a little better, but meh! CW Backward Crossovers are still AWOL. I think they're beyond AWOL. Deserter status, much?

Forward outside edges, OMG. I can't seem to control my shoulders... Is there any trick/way to get over that hump? My inside edges are very nice. Those outsides are starting to scare me. I just started working on the back outside edges (I'm talking about the consecutive edge pattern, BTW), and in one day they're about as good as my forwards that I've been working on for literally weeks... What's the deal?

Question for every and anyone: I'm thinking about asking my coach to work on a program with me, to give me a reason to religiously practice these weak elements and improve my timing, endurance, etc. Is that a good idea, or should I just keep my mouth shut and wait for her to recommend it?

Skate@Delaware
07-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, there is a video on iCoachSkating.com, I've watched it like a thousand times, and something about going around with the opposite arm leading just doesn't sit well with me. I doubt that is my problem though... I get stuck at the hook.

Wish I could just wake up one morning and have great spins, Lol...

But who doesn't?

Practicing: Waltz Awesome, high, clean, I actually jump out now. Getting some control over my habit of looking down for landings. Landings very nice. High, Stretched, turned out leg and solid/secure edge. Can hold them forever.

Re-Learned Toe-Loop. Went well. Took like 7 minutes. I'll start doing them from speed now. Took like 5 minutes to convince her to not make me do it from a RFI 3 Turn. Small victory there.

Spins are terrible, but I actually did a few without my "training wheel." I felt like I accomplished a lot last lesson actually. It was the most productive lesson I can *vividly* remember.

Started doing off-ice training this week. At first, I thought I was going to die. I discovered muscles I didn't know exist. My entire body was in shock after the first day, I was so sore. But it actually helps... A LOT. I discovered ways to control my body that I had never thought of before, and I can already feel my ankle strength improving because of it.

Not Practicing: CW Forward Crossovers getting a little better, but meh! CW Backward Crossovers are still AWOL. I think they're beyond AWOL. Deserter status, much?

Forward outside edges, OMG. I can't seem to control my shoulders... Is there any trick/way to get over that hump? My inside edges are very nice. Those outsides are starting to scare me. I just started working on the back outside edges (I'm talking about the consecutive edge pattern, BTW), and in one day they're about as good as my forwards that I've been working on for literally weeks... What's the deal?

Question for every and anyone: I'm thinking about asking my coach to work on a program with me, to give me a reason to religiously practice these weak elements and improve my timing, endurance, etc. Is that a good idea, or should I just keep my mouth shut and wait for her to recommend it?
Hmmmm how to toe-loop in seven minutes! Glad you are getting it done (the toe-loop is my love-it/hate-it jump LOL)!
As for spinning, I've tried EVERYTHING imaginable to fix them, unfortunately, I'm sure it's mostly mechanical (since my injury things aren't 100%). I have tried the opposite arm thing and it's interesting. But my spins fall apart when I step into my circle....all downhill from there!

As for fixing your arms, I can recommend Champion cords or holding a glove in each hand (or on top)...either will focus your concentration on what you are doing with them. Also, try to keep pressing down, this pressure sometimes keeps the upper body more stable.

I think you SHOULD ask for a program! It's a wonderful idea and will give you focus and goals (short & long term). Are you going to do a competition or exhibition? That could be something to think about. Working on a program spices things up and with a deadline you can't slack off!

GoSveta
07-10-2010, 04:38 PM
They keep asking me to do exhibitions but I've refused about 3-4 offers in the past year or so, until I worked on my basics more and got a couple of jumps down. I want to learn/fix the spins, too.

Coach wants me to test in November, for moves. Not sure what I'll do after that. I just think working on a program will insert more fun and decrease the "job factor" of training - if that makes any sense...

Plus there is some music I want to skate too, and I think a program will force me to skate in both directions, thus allowing me to train better my weak direction, among other things.

Skate@Delaware
07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
They keep asking me to do exhibitions but I've refused about 3-4 offers in the past year or so, until I worked on my basics more and got a couple of jumps down. I want to learn/fix the spins, too.

Coach wants me to test in November, for moves. Not sure what I'll do after that. I just think working on a program will insert more fun and decrease the "job factor" of training - if that makes any sense...

Plus there is some music I want to skate too, and I think a program will force me to skate in both directions, thus allowing me to train better my weak direction, among other things.
That makes perfect sense! I think you should do it, it will also be fun to work on something besides the "moves" and all that. Any excuse to put your music on LOL!

GoSveta
07-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Yea, I'm gonna bring it up next week :)

ibreakhearts66
07-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Not Practicing
Literally. No practices so no posts. My "future" with skating is kind of up in the air right now. My goal HAD been to compete at regionals, but that's just not going to happen. I also wanted to past at least novice moves before the tests change, but I doubt that will happen either. It's really discouraging to think about all of the time and money I put into working on Novice moves when I'm 99% sure I won't test the old version. I don't have the time and energy to get to the rink being at my program 6 days a week.

Frankly, I'm not sure skating is even healthy for me at this point. Going to my rink gives me panic attacks, and at this point, I'd rather not skate than have more panic attacks. It also got so wrapped up with my ED that I think the only way to know if I truly love it or if I burnt out a while ago and just kept doing it for the exercise is to take a break.

I am going to take it on a day by day basis, though. I have 9 freestyle sessions already pre paid for at another rink, so if I do get the urge to skate I can do it without feeling guilty for wasting money.

xtenshix
07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Practising So Hard: FINALLY got to go to the rink yesterday! worked on the elusive CW BXOs. got a little better but they still feel so awkward! I know I look like spaghetti when turning front to back and vice versa. did spirals across the rink. tried some shoot-the-ducks. this tiny 5 yr old girl helped me! adorable! i was afraid id squish her she was so tiny though. she was trying to hold my shoulders and push me. she tried to hold my waist instead but i got up cuz 1. idk her and 2. i dont think her parents would've like that >< anywho, i had fun! :D i love this rink because the guard on the ice made the hockey kids stop sliding across the middle and kept the kids from hanging out there since I was using the area to work on stuff and stay out of main traffic, unlike the other rink where they dont give a flying camel about them or you.:evil:

Not Practising: shoot the ducks are fun but HARD! Some elitist guy in the middle kept giving me glares when i was practising BXO, like i shouldnt be there. ugh. this is a rink id never been to before. thankfully he left and i had the middle mostly to myself. OH THE PAIN, after I got home! my calves hurt so bad! i couldnt even concentrate on my homework. :frus: the pain in my legs gave me headache that lasted until about 6 or 8 this morning(woke up @ 5 and still hurt so back 2 sleep). now the pain is in my thighs and is WAY WAY more tolerable!

blue111moon
07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Main coach is on vacation this week so I have drafted Main Coach's Venerable Coach for my lesson today. I especially want to show off my backspin which has remained consistently decent since Stephane finxed it at Mountain Cup Camp. (Now, watch it disappear just because I said that!)

garusha
07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Skate@Delaware;418693]Hmmmm how to toe-loop in seven minutes! Glad you are getting it done (the toe-loop is my love-it/hate-it jump LOL)!
As for spinning, I've tried EVERYTHING imaginable to fix them, unfortunately, I'm sure it's mostly mechanical (since my injury things aren't 100%). I have tried the opposite arm thing and it's interesting. But my spins fall apart when I step into my circle....all downhill from there!

Get a spinner; you'll see the difference right away. I had the same problem. No matter how hard I practiced, I simply couldn't spin. Once I got a spinner, my spins got better practically overnight. Now my coach says, my spins are way ahead of my other skating skills. And I'm definitely not a natural spinner.

jazzpants
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Not Practicing -- well, more practicing so hard, but not getting ANYWHERE with fixing the step to the FO edge. I am getting a nice FO curve into a spin, BUT I am stepping (according to my tertiary coach) BO edge and then turn my foot (on the ice) to the FO edge. It's really REALLY :frus: for me here since I really don't feel my foot flipping edges on the ice. :x :giveup:

Skate@Delaware
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Get a spinner; you'll see the difference right away. I had the same problem. No matter how hard I practiced, I simply couldn't spin. Once I got a spinner, my spins got better practically overnight. Now my coach says, my spins are way ahead of my other skating skills. And I'm definitely not a natural spinner.
I wish it were that simple. I have a spinner, which works GREAT for my backspins. Years ago I had wonderful scratch spins, but, unfortunately, my injury has caused muscle weakness & compensations that just don't jive with the control I need with the scratch spins. When I recovered from my injury it took me over a year to stop falling over on the ice (and walking).

Laura H
07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Not Practicing -- well, more practicing so hard, but not getting ANYWHERE with fixing the step to the FO edge. I am getting a nice FO curve into a spin, BUT I am stepping (according to my tertiary coach) BO edge and then turn my foot (on the ice) to the FO edge. It's really REALLY :frus: for me here since I really don't feel my foot flipping edges on the ice. :x :giveup:

I am struggling with this as well. At least your coaches caught the edge change problem, I am apparently pretty good at fooling my coach into thinking I am on the correct edge (just because a NORMAL person would be on the correct edge based upon arm and leg positioning). I know that something's off with the check (I'm letting my hip or shoulder drop, or maybe both!) but I haven't quite figured out how to fix it, ugh.

LilJen
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Absolutely! I did this with my pre-bronze moves a couple years ago--got a footwork program choreographed for me and asked for plenty of (beastly things!) 3-turns because that's what I was struggling with. Because at the time I was so bloody sick of that awful inside/outside 3-turn pattern, and it was nice to skate to music and mix up the moves/stroking/edges some. And, as a bonus, after working on stuff that was initially very, very tough and got somewhat more comfortable over the year that I had the program, the pb patterns seemed easier in comparison. Flip jump didn't work, but it was kind of a fluke that I had landed one a few weeks ago, fully rotated and on one foot and perfectly comfortably.

Not practicing: Well, yes! Was off the ice for nearly 3 weeks (vacation and then OUCH! back went haywire) until synchro practice on Sunday. Got my first 'real' practice in today. And tests are in 3 weeks!!! Felt kind of edgeless today--seemed like I was skidding and sliding everywhere, despite my best attempts to really get myself centered over my hips/ankles/feet.

Practicing so hard: Regardless, silver moves were suprisingly un-awful in spite of this. sal, toe loop still there, and drilling waltz/toe for bronze test (end of year, maybe?). Had a couple of sit spins that actually went 3-4 revs, among many that completely did not work. One backspin that worked (yay!), and the loop is, well, coming.

doubletoe
07-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Absolutely! Knowing you are an adult and are able to communicate what you want from her, your coach may just be waiting for you to ask! Nothing will make you a better skater faster than mastering a program! :)

AgnesNitt
07-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Not Practising:

Coach told me she is moving to another part of the country. The Big Guy said "How many coaches have you gone through? I've only had one for years!" So the count is 5, not including the ones I took lessons from at skate camp that would bring it up to 9 or 10.

So Coach tells me she's leaving, then says "We need to get you another coach." So, I jerk my thumb at the coach across the rink, "What about that guy? He coaches beginners." Everybody happy, Coach was going to recommend him.

When I told the Big Guy, he said "ooooh, you've never had a guy coach before."
I said that a guy coach has one responsibility, to grab me by the collar as i start to go down.

So now I have first lesson with new coach to look forward to. He'll ask me "What do you want to work on." What do I say? "Everything."

Alas, new coach doesn't do figures. So I'm switching to low level dance.

Practising:
I'm not making real progress EXCEPT I can now fall backwards really well. It happen at least once every time I skate. I can fall backwards doing forward inside edges. What with the elbow protectors, the wrist guards and lightning fast reflexes I'm down and up before everyone's face can turn white. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's a good skill to develop <sigh>

Ellyn
07-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Got new skates last summer.

Started trying to break them in when they were new, but I didn't get very far with the process.

I was preparing for a test in November, so I mainly focused on training in my old skates, occasionally putting on the new ones to try to get them softer.

Somehow in the process my knee stopped working -- I blame this on deep swizzles in the new skates when I was already tired from a practicing in the old ones -- so I had to scratch from the test and take 4-5 months off the ice.

Came back in the spring and started training for the test in old skates again.

I tried it last week, made a few mistakes, and didn't pass.

But the old skates have had it.*

So tonight I went to a public session in the new skates. Very frustrating that I don't feel in control of my feet, between the boots being too stiff to control, the blades being more curved than I'm used to because they're brand new, and possibly the blades being slightly misaligned and too sharp but maybe a bit rusty. So I was skating very tentatively and testing out what I could and couldn't do.

Some guy congratulated me on doing turns etc., as if I were a beginner and should be proud of that. I said he should see me in my old skates. So then he congratulated me on doing as much as I was doing in new skates.

I could barely do forward three turns, but I could do back inside loops (i.e., the easiest edges to make a loop on). Go figure.

*Any advice on how I could get new tongues put into the old boots, since that's the only part that's broken down?

katz in boots
07-16-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm not making real progress EXCEPT I can now fall backwards really well. It happen at least once every time I skate. I can fall backwards doing forward inside edges. What with the elbow protectors, the wrist guards and lightning fast reflexes I'm down and up before everyone's face can turn white. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's a good skill to develop <sigh>

I think it's a very useful skill to develop. If you are okay with falling, you won't be afraid of trying new things.

I fall a lot compared to most people here, at least twice per 2 hr session, and have good backward fall technique. I can avoid hitting my head by using my abs to crunch. Unfortunately this sometimes dislocates a rib, but it's better than concussion 8O: been there, not nice.

sk8pics
07-16-2010, 05:29 AM
*Any advice on how I could get new tongues put into the old boots, since that's the only part that's broken down?

I got new tongues put into my SP Teri's. Just called them up, asked them about it, and shipped them off. So try calling the manufacturer. If the skates are too old, they will tell you there's no guarantee it'll work, but you could give it a try anyway.

Bill_S
07-16-2010, 06:51 AM

With my old Gold Stars, I had the tongue lining replaced by Cooke's Skating Supplies in Wilmington, MA. Here's the url...

http://gormanwhs.sports.officelive.com/default.aspx

I believe Scott Cooke is the contact person who handles figure skates. I was told by another skater that they once produced custom boots for skaters, and had a good knowledge of how boots were constructed.

Cooke's did an excellent job. The turn-around time (including shipping times both ways) was only 2 weeks when I had it done.

The manufacturer of your skate can probably do it too, but you won't get to talk to the person who does the actual work.

Isk8NYC
07-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Klingbeil's provides that service for their own boots. I had it done to my original pair.

In NJ, C&L (Corona & Liebenow) did great rebuilds and tongue replacements. I think Dante Cozzie Sports on Long Island offered those services as well. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call to ask for prices and turnaround.

The new boots may be dried out from disuse. You didn't say what brand, but if you wear them and "sweat them up" a bit, they might begin to feel more natural.

Ellyn
07-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the advice, all.

The new boots may be dried out from disuse. You didn't say what brand, but if you wear them and "sweat them up" a bit, they might begin to feel more natural.

Yeah, that is probably the case.

toepix
07-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Not practising: My rink melted! Literally! The compressor broke down for a week so we had very, very wet ice (hockey stops would actually send up a wave of water) before a closure last week. All better now though.

I've also pretty much stopped jumping after badly bruising my knee by over-rotating a toe-loop 3 weeks ago and fell forward onto it, totally unprepared 8O At least I over, rather than under rotated I guess :lol:

Practising hard: Started a TONNE of new field moves in the past couple weeks. Backwards power pulls, Choctaws, Back 3s, brackets plus a bunch of the patterns from lower level tests. Super-fun, plus I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere with my skating again.

blackmanskating
07-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Practicing:

Axel is consistent again! After all of that time off the ice(injury financial problems) it's great to have my axel back. I'm actually doing a few doubles. I landed a double flip this past week! Camel Spin is coming together. So is the flying camel and sit spin.

Not Practicing:

Quite Nervous about this Silver Moves test! Failed it twice and changed coaches! Did worse the second time I took them! My new coach says that I've shown major improvement. For some reason I don't believe it. I want these moves to be second nature to me. I really want to do the best I can on these moves so no matter what marks the judges give me, I know I did my best. (Sigh) I just don't understand how I can land a double flip but struggle on keeping back 3 turns quiet! :?? LOL

BlackManSkating

icestalker
07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Not practising: My rink melted! Literally! The compressor broke down for a week so we had very, very wet ice (hockey stops would actually send up a wave of water) before a closure last week. All better now though.

8O Wow! You still skated on it? I'd be afraid of falling and getting my pants completely soaked through, lol.

AgnesNitt
07-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Practising: A couple of weeks ago I fell off-ice and bruised the bones in my left wrist. Because falling on it would be really bad and it has to be babied, coach has been really focusing on me using the correct arm positions. Just today, I finally 'got' the importance of arm position because I can feel what's going wrong when they're too high too low, etc. I used to think I had to hold my arms 'just so' because it was some arbitrary 'pretty' thing. But today I finally got what I was doing wrong with my arms. I tend to carry the right one too high and the left one too low. Also, my right one will drift upwards, and that's what's led me to do things like fall backwards on forward edges. I didn't have a miraculous breakthru today, but I did take a big step forwards so some basic skills are much smoother with better body position and I can sit down on an edge (well, in one direction).

Not Practising: Had open house at work on Friday, spent all day stuffing little kids with cookies and quizzing their parents with trivia questions for prizes. No time to skate.

Skate@Delaware
07-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Not practising: spending my days studying for finals...tuesday wraps up the testing portion of college, then the rest is just doing clinicals and writing papers. I'm hoping to squeeze in some skating soon-I need to skate with my partner PLUS I sent in my form for the spin clinic (for next month). If I don't skate at least ONCE before then I'll be wobbly. but I'm hopeful! I just don't want to head up north on the weekend-too much beach traffic!

singerskates
07-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Not Practising On Ice:
I've been off of the ice since the last week of May and will be off until the first week of August when I sign up for what is left of Summer Skating School before the fall schedule begins again.

Practising Hard in Liquid Ice:
This past week I've been going to my gym using the pool for ab work and off-ice practice. Been doing double crunches (lift head and shoulders at the same time as lifting knees and feet), rotating sideways walking sissors (twist at the waist while laying on top of the water without floatation divices making my legs walk with knees staightened), and criss crossing legs over and under each other while floating on my back to work on my inner thighs.
Using pool noodles (here comes the fun part), I've been racing across the pool riding the noodles like a horse (regular, left side saddle and right saddle) not touching the bottom of the pool without using my arms using only my abs by flicking my abs muscles. Also surfed on the noodles across the liquid ice.
Most importantly for me, and not my friend who isn't a figure skater, I practiced all my jumps upto single Lutz in the pool taking off from in the water which forces you to do everything right to get the jump to work. It's also forced me to use my arms correctly. Can't wait to try what I've learned in the pool on the ice when I go back in August.

Who else has been playing in the Liquid Ice?

LilJen
07-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Blackman: I hear you on Silver moves. I'm on the verge of taking them, and while coach has said that yes, they're passing, I'd especially like those back 3s to feel a lot more second nature.

In any event: Pulled my hip flexor on Thursday so I'm going to be a good girl and stay off the ice (rather, put the ice on my hip, several times daily) and do rehab for it once it's past the "feels like someone put a knife in my hip" stage. I was all set to sign up for the test on August 5th, but I didn't figure I'd get a pass if I was involuntarily wincing and yelping while skating :)

drskater
07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Not practicing:

Summer bizarro rink schedules, vacation time (which included hedonistic eating!), coach’s holidays, and other commitments led me fill out this category nicely. I was forced to go to horrible public sessions filled with homicidal teenage hockey skaters that only increased the not practicing. Worse, the rink decided to save money by never resurfacing the ice for any public session, resulting in ice with the consistency of gravel ( and I have a pretty high tolerance for crappy ice). Luckily I managed to make the dive to a rink with decent freestyles and hence….

Practicing:

I’ve made great progress on the Bronze Moves. In fact, my Pro declared everything passable, with the notable exception of the right-sided power threes and the five-step Mohawk pattern. Yet even these two Moves have improved to the point where I have something to work with. Actually, I now can do the right-side power threes, provided that I fool myself into thinking I’m setting up a spin going in the “wrong” direction. They aren’t very powerful but they’re controlled and on pattern so I’m pretty happy. My loop jumps have been good lately—way better than the old loop “hops.”—these actually have air and decent landing edges. The flip is getting better though it is two-footed most of the time. Coach pronounced my sit-spin “normal looking” ( faint praise but I’ll take it) and my nascent camel-spin is now in the proper position, with about three revolutions to boot.

Practicing but sucks:
Figure-Eight. Do any rinks hold actual patch sessions anymore? I suspect this might help me buckle down and get these right My goal is to get to a competition level (like in Portland) but I’m just too awful right now.

To all the posters above; You guys are awesome! Keep up the good work. Reading your posts is inspiring!

LilJen
07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
dr skater: I love the term "homicidal teenage hockey skaters." It describes them perfectly.

There are a few rinks here and there that have patch sessions (I know at least one rink in Chicago does them). With advent of a few new figure-related moves on the USFS testing structure, there may be more of them coming down the line. My usual remedy is to get to the very beginning of a relatively uninhabited session and mark out some turf. I don't do figures very often, but I am SOOO grateful for the bit of coaching I've had from my very-biased-toward-figures coach. Working with someone who's done them and coached them for years makes a huge difference.