View Full Version : Jackson Dance vs Jackson Competitor vs Jackson Elite?

aussieskater
06-26-2010, 01:00 AM
(Warning - longish post - sorry!)

I'm up for new boots (putting it off, putting it off ... but the time is fast approaching when I can't put it off no more. ;) I really should get them before I test later this year, but I've probably procrastinated too long for that - as an E+ ball width, I know that whatever I get is going to be a special order, and will take 3-4 months to come in.

I'm probably a Bronze-ish dancer in the US system (testing 14 and Foxtrot) and my fast-wearing-out Jackson Competitors are now 6+ years old. My feet have loved them, so I'm inclined to stick to Jackson. I'm trying other brands on just to see - I know lasts can change in 6 years and what didn't fit then might fit now. I've already tried Risport recently - they're still no go.

I'd figured I'd just get the Competitors again, but then saw the recent thread in the Coaches forum that the Competitor now only comes as a set with an Aspire blade. I'd immediately ditch the blades and put on my MK Pros, so that's not really an issue, although I'd prefer not to buy something I don't need and won't use. The boot below the Competitor (Freestyle) and the boot above it (Elite) both come boot-only. I don't want or need to go too stiff, but I know the Freestyle is too light for me and I'm concerned that the Elite will be too stiff.

I then saw the current Jackson dance boot on their site. I drooled over its elastic cutout back with the roll top right round, and over the tongue hooks, but am a bit concerned about the apparently really low upper - it only has 3 hooks against the usual Jackson 4 hooks, and it looks short! What's more, the back looks way lower than the 3-hook-low front!

Down here we have a pro shop with limited stock, and although the manager will order stuff in, anything they order in for me will be considered a "special order" because of the sizing, and I'll be compelled to buy it. There is no point visiting the only other decent pro shop in the city - this one is probably the largest one in Australia, and is the Jackson dealer, so everything Jackson goes through it.

I therefore need to do my research carefully, and part of that is picking the brains of skatingforums! Does anyone have any experience of the Elite and the Dance side by side in terms of overall stiffness once they're worn in, and whether the 3 hooks on the Dance boot makes any difference with regards to vertical "stability" when leaning sideways on an edge (don't know how else to explain that one)? Is the top of the Dance boot as low as it looks in the photo??

Opinions and comments would be appreciated. Many thanks!

fsk8r
06-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I bought new Jacksons last year and was looking for something to do dance in. my old boots were elite plus. I can confirm that having ordered blind (like you're about to) that in getting the same size as previous worked wonderfully and they fit fine.
i got the Jackson synchro boot for dance though. They're probably as stiff as the elite plus but the lower back with the elastic cuff makes them a lot easier for the toe-pointing and they're not too much lower than the old boots and still have 4 hooks. They might be a better option for the dance boots.

flo
06-27-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm a fs skater - gold pairs level. I have had harlick and jacksons fs boots. The last time I went in I tried on all the jackson boots he had and found the dance boots the most comfortable. I do alot of edge work and really like the elastic back and the shorter boot. I had always ordered dance scallops in my fs boot anyway, so liked those as well. I ordered them in my fs stiffness and they have been fine for jumping, throws, and such including working on doubles.
The only thing I do not like about them is the rift in the back where the elastic is joined with the leather. It really irritates the back of my foot and I've had a piece of leather put in to cover it. This area should be finished off better.

SkatEn
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd figured I'd just get the Competitors again, but then saw the recent thread in the Coaches forum that the Competitor now only comes as a set with an Aspire blade. I'd immediately ditch the blades and put on my MK Pros, so that's not really an issue, although I'd prefer not to buy something I don't need and won't use. The boot below the Competitor (Freestyle) and the boot above it (Elite) both come boot-only. I don't want or need to go too stiff, but I know the Freestyle is too light for me and I'm concerned that the Elite will be too stiff.

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=7YlE13ayhuTPjN/sMIYMxg1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

There is a new model between their Elite and Freestyle, named Premiere. Now, I never had Jackson boots, but Premiere looks much more comfortable than Freestyle!

falen
06-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I had asked about the premiere a few months back because coach suggested a move up to Freestyles when she needs new boots. And that is what I thought too. The Premiere looks so much more finished and plushy than the Freestyles. Since these Premieres were a new model, coach really did not know if they would work out.

Skate@Delaware
06-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Maybe they are a jazzed-up Competitor? The Premiere seems to have additional stitching around the flex-notch, rolled top-line, cork sole, and a different tongue than the Competitor. (My Competitor's had a foam-rubber type of tongue without all the added reinforcement or stitching on it, in fact, if you take the Freestyle boot and add a foam-rubber tongue, that was the Competitor.)

I'm due for new boots, these look attractive! If I can get a few extra features (like tongue-hooks and a cut-down back), I'm sold!

aussieskater
06-30-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm due for new boots, these look attractive! If I can get a few extra features (like tongue-hooks and a cut-down back), I'm sold!

I was hoping you'd chime in as I seem to remember that you had Competitors and went to Elites? Absolutely agree about the tongue hooks and cut-down back - Im sold too if the Premieres have them!

Re the Competitor vs the Freestyle - I'm not sure about the current models, but the old Competitors were stiffer than the old Freestyles - it wasn't just the foam tongue covering.

aussieskater
07-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Just reviving this old thread to let you know that I've just ordered Jackson Synchro boots (thanks for the tip, fsk8r!).

I ended up staying with Jackson because I did the rounds of the other brands as best I could (it's hard in a country where nobody keeps even one example of each skate in the range - see comments below re the Jackson Dance boot).

It turned out that nobody had anything even vaguely right size-wise for me to try on (it seems that the dealers only keep size C width on hand; D is done by special order, even though D is listed as a standard width; and I'm an E, so a trying on a C doesn't really tell me much, other than that C is too narrow :P. Yeah, I knew that already.) As a result, I thought I should better stay with the devil I know.

I tried to look at Jackson Dance, but the importer only brings them in as a special order, and did not have even one in any size, so I could see what they are like and how they are made! And it would have cost almost $1,100 to buy the boot only, completely sight unseen - not just sight unseen regarding size, but even sight unseen regarding style and manufacturing quality! So, no. Not happening.

Apart from the necessary split width, I also asked for one layer more leather on the heel. Since with the 3-size width difference, I was already up for the "2-4 alterations" extra charge, so one more didn't cost.

Now to wait a couple of months, then I get the fun of breaking them in.

Thanks for your help, everyone.