View Full Version : where were you (in skating) a year ago?

mikawendy
10-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Hi, everyone! Since a lot of us post frequently in the lessons/practice thread, I thought it would be neat to get a different perspective--where are you in skating in terms of a year ago? What can you do now that you couldn't do then (or vice versa)? What are your goals now as opposed to then?

For instance, I started skating a little less than a year ago. When I first started, I could only do what I'd done at birthday parties as a kid--stroke around the rink unevenly, only pushing with one foot.

Now I'm in Basic 5 and can do the two things I thought would be hardest to learn: forward and backward crossovers. I can do 3 turns now, which I only faintly understood a year ago from watching skating on TV. I can tell which jumps the skaters are doing (sometimes way before they take off).

How about you all?

JDC1
10-17-2002, 01:08 PM
I had been skating for about 2 weeks and I was learning to glide backwards on 1 foot, glide forward on 1 foot and the correct technique for stroking.

Now - I can do a salchow, waltz jump, toe loop, sometimes a loop, almost have my lutz & flip. Am learning to spin, scratch spin and sit spin and back spin. Have learned advanced 3 turn drills, have learned brackets etc. etc.

It's a good thing to do when you're frustrated, like me with spinning, just realize how far you've come and it gives you more patience and optimism.

melanieuk
10-17-2002, 01:13 PM
A year ago, I hadn't done any testing.
I've got 4 tests now and waiting on the next one!

A year ago I had a decent attempt at an axel.
Now I have none! :(

I have a parallel spin and a much better sit spin.
I have the beginnings of a backspin, sometimes.
My field moves have moved on.
I'm faster than I was, and a bit more polished.

My goal is the same: to test as far as I can.
To improve - even just a little! :roll:

garyc254
10-17-2002, 01:40 PM
A year ago, I had only been skating about 3 weeks (6 lessons).

I was taking great pains to learn how to stay vertical. :lol:

I was learning to glide on one foot and stay vertical. How to do a basic stroke and stay vertical. Practicing swizzles and staying vertical. Learning to stop and stay vertical.

I was still a month away from fracturing my wrist (I didn't stay vertical. "Vertical" went through that black hole into the parallel universe where I don't exist). :lol:

Since then, I've progressed through front and back crossovers, mohawks, swing rolls, a couple of dance patterns, sometimes proper edges, weak/slow 3-turns, snowplows, t-stops, mohawk sequences, etc, etc, etc, and staying vertical.

Most importantly, I've met many, many terrific people over the last year and have thoroughly enjoyed my time on the ice, particularly when I stayed vertical. :lol:

Debbie S
10-17-2002, 02:52 PM
I had just started lessons (Basic 1). I could basically skate forward and do those backward swizzles and wiggles. I could also do a snowplow stop and that dip, and was pleased that I could, as Gary put it, stay vertical.

I've moved through the basic skill levels, am now in Freestyle 2, and can do a toe loop (pleasantly surprised b/c I thought I would be a terrible jumper), and a scratch spin (other spins on hold for now, except for the back spin, which I'm learning). I still get off balance during spins and can occasionally whack my spinning leg or boot w/ my free leg, but hey, I couldn't do that last year. I'm also pleased at my ability to stay on my feet during my spirals, and trace edge (FI and FO, BO, don't ask about BI!) patterns on the ice.

icenut84
10-17-2002, 03:25 PM
A year ago, I had been having a weekly group lesson for about 7 months and had just started occasional private lessons. I was trying to learn a waltz jump (it was barely a hop!), hadn't started dance at all, and was trying to do a good 2 foot spin.

Now, I can do a good waltz jump (was told by an ex-pro skater at the beginning of the summer, after he saw my waltz, that he "wouldn't be surprised" if I had an axel in 6 months. 8O Haven't started on that yet! lol). I can also do a salchow, toe loop, loop, half loop, and have just started working on the flip. Hope I can start on the lutz too by Christmas - that's my goal.
I haven't exactly progressed in leaps and bounds spin-wise - I am working on getting a consistent, and GOOD, one foot upright spin from the correct entrance. I did start on the backspin a bit too, but that's even harder! Spinning doesn't seem to come easy to me.
Footwork wise, I'm doing pretty good I think. I can do all the forward and backward three turns with relative ease, and have learned rockers and brackets.

jenlyon60
10-17-2002, 04:24 PM
A Year Ago:
Getting ready to test my European Waltz.

Now:
Still haven't passed my EW, but have improved my basic technique I hope since then. Well, I think my 3's are better checked at least some of the time... but there's something wonky going on with EW that doesn't happen in AW, so I'm putting off testing it again (pretty expensive at $70/test for both test fees and coach fees) until we can break it down and fix the bad habit. Time for lots of video. Of course it would help if I could get more ice time...

In the mean time, I competed at Washington FSC Pro-Am Dance Classic, and Peach Classic and am getting ready to compete at the Garden State Pro-Am Dance Classic.

skaternum
10-17-2002, 07:40 PM
A year ago I was off the ice with a terrible back problem, thinking I'd blown my chance to test Silver before the new Adult Moves.

Now, I'm back on the ice, but the back is still a chronic problem. I am, however, a Silver Lady II!

ginamarie
10-18-2002, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and thought this would be a good place to start.

A year ago...
Just started skating lessons...trying hard to glide in a straight line (I'm with ISI Asia)

Now...
Done with freestyle 1 and 2. Doing salchows, toe loops, sit spins. Also attempting laybacks, ina bauers and spread eagles for fun

Ahh....the joys of figure skating.:lol:

MissIndigo
10-18-2002, 05:03 PM
I'm not much more along now that I was a year ago. I didn't skate as much as I thought I would last season--I was sick a lot and school took up most of my time, plus I had a work-related injury to my right hand.

I do now, however, have a consistent camel and I have just earned my layback. I guess that's progress. I also competed up a level in a competition this year and won.

singerskates
10-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Last year at this time:Hmm.

I wasn't recovering from surgery and off the ice. That's for sure.
I was skating with Windsor FSC. I was trying very hard to get a toeloop consistant. My waltz jumps were pathetically low. Looked more like steps. Only had the forward left outside three turn and no opem mohawks. Skated much slower. My edges were shallow compared to just before this month's surgery. I was not very comfortable skating backwards even though I could do it. Had higher spirals though. What a difference a year makes.

This year, before the pain got really bad causing me to double over at work and during jumps in the air, I was doing nice high waltz jumps, decent toe loops, salchows, salchow/toe loop combo, waltz/toe loop combo and started on my loop jump along with my flip and lutz. I'm skating with a different club now (Riverside FSC). I wasn't getting very far on my spins though. The pain was always bothering me during my spins. And as the pain got worse and worse my spirals were getting lower and lower even though I was able to do outside/inside combo spirals but I just didn't have the muster to do a flip(3/4 flip and landed on two feet) right after the combo spiral like I did in the summer. Was getting better at the backspin but I'm talking about one rotation before having to hop off of my right leg and on to my left to do the rest of the rotations. (Good that I'll be able to do a multi foot spins but bad that the pain didn't allow me to stay on my right leg.). I started to get more speed just in time for the North American Adult Invitational to win a Gold medal. But now I have to slow down until I'm strong enough to make a little wind in the rink again. It sucks to be off of the ice when you're addicted to skating.

Brigitte a.k.a. singerskates

Hannahclear
10-20-2002, 10:43 AM
Not skating at all, so it is an improvement!

quarkiki2
10-21-2002, 10:21 AM
I wasn't skating a year ago, either. Now I've been skating for about 7 months and am working on back crossovers, forward outside three turns and the 5-step mohawk sequence. I do a weenie toe loop at the boards, but there's a little jump in it now -- not just a toe-step. Weenie waltz jump at the boards, again there's a little jump and it's not just a step. I've been complimented on my position and posture and the "exceptional" use of my arms. I'd be a super-star if I could conquer the whole fear of backwards thing!!

Black Sheep
10-27-2002, 03:46 PM
A year ago, I was contemplating what level to sign up for AN '02. I found out that I couldn't enter Silver because I'd passed ISI FS6. I'd have to pass USFSA Adult Gold FS to compete, something I thought would be impossible for me until December 16, 2001! :D :halo:

Azlynn
10-27-2002, 07:06 PM
Not skating, I had no skates. :D

Starting in January I skated a few times breaking in new skates, but then stopped due to illness. Just started again in September, but only a few public skates due to a lack of $$$, and assisting in Canskate twice a week. I've got most of my singles, except for a half lutz and axel, can't spin to save my life, and working on back threes at the moment.

Lili
10-28-2002, 05:05 PM
A year ago I was trying to land that $%#^&*% Axel, and now it is consistent. Also I was working on 2sals and now I am landing them too! Now I am working on getting my 2sal consistent, and sometimes if I feel like it, 2loops (along with sporadic 2flips).

I also went through a rough spot where I didnt know if I wanted to skate or not. I was really depressed and stressed with school, but during the summer I think I rediscovered my love for skating. Now..school is back on again and life is again stressful! Ahh.. college.

Havent passed Juv moves yet, mainly because I've only tested ONCE since I failed them last. I havent had the oppurtunity to test due to tests for school, or the general lack of test sessions at my club. Grr.

Mel On Ice
10-28-2002, 06:03 PM
THEN: Passing ISI Freestyle 1 so I could compete ISI and learning how to be a synchro skater. I was learning all the little bitty jumps like the half lutz, half toe walley and ballet jump, stuff I never learned through USFSA. One foot spin was stalled at 5 revs. I was also breaking in a new pair of skates, unsuccessfully. I had competed exactly once.

NOW: I'm working on passing FS3, I'm in FS4 group lessons, as well as intro ice dancing, and moves in the field. I'm still on the synchro team, and have competed about 12 times with the team and solo. While I haven't progressed much with the single revolution jumps, I'm getting the hang of it, and am now practicing the loop and flip on a regular basis. Haven't mustered the courage to try a lutz yet! Am also going to start formal ice dancing lessons in 2 weeks after talking to my synchro coach over a bottle of wine! :oops:

dbny
10-28-2002, 11:03 PM
I was ready to take Pre-prelim moves, but broke my wrist instead. A year later, I still haven't gotten back the RFO three needed for the Waltz-8. OTOH, I now have passing prelim F and B crossovers, pre-juv forward power crossovers, and juv F cross strokes. I have real, but not yet passing prelim F power threes (so WHY can't I get that RFO three in the Waltz-8????), prelim back crossovers to BO edge, pre-juv power B crossovers, and juv back cross strokes. I have managed a few BO threes and am working on BI threes and FI threes. I had nothing above prelim last year. Altogether, I have much more power, speed, flow and edges. My confidence comes and goes as do several of my moves.

Mrs Redboots
10-29-2002, 10:04 AM
I hate this sort of thread, as my progress is so slow as to be infinitesimal. I don't really think I'm much better than I was a year ago, although friends tell me I have more flow across the ice, and even my coach says my basics are better. All that can be hoped for at my age, and with my ability level, I suppose - I am no athlete, never have been, and never will be! But just try to stop me trying..... :twisted:

Actually, I have learnt the steps of several new dances over the past year, including the Blues and the Paso Doble (only I've more or less forgotten those!), and learnt how to dance (subtle difference!) a couple more.

KJD
10-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Mrs. Redboots,
I think you would be surprised at the progress you have most likely made. I have lots of days where I think I haven't moved forward at all but if someone were to video you from this time last year and now, you would look better - I guarantee it.

For me, last year I was working hard to learn to spin enough to pass my silver FS test (spinning not being something I do naturally). I think I passed the first weekend of November last year. I was working on axels standing on the blue line and most were short.

Today, I am trying to pass my Gold Moves and FS, my axel is there (it has bad days like today where it took me half an hour to get it right but I always manage to land 6 or 7 decent ones before the end of the session.) I have started double sals, land a few a week and am getting ready to take my Gold moves in November and my freeskate in December (I hope!) and my Intermediate moves in January. I'll keep my fingers, toes, etc. crossed! and hope.

pennybeagle
11-05-2002, 11:09 PM
I have not added many new tricks, but there's been a lot of progress...

Last year, I had all my single jumps, a decent attempt at an axel and 2sal, and a scratch, sit, camel, sort-of-layback, and back spin. But, I was scratching all over the ice when I was stroking and couldn't stay over my edges without breaking at the hip or waist.

This year, I still have all the above but I am moving faster and working less. I have learned to keep better posture and stay off my toepicks. I have learned to control landings better and hold my edges more securely. There were times that I was frustrated because I was tempted to measure my skating ability in terms of number of skills I could do. However, in retrospect, I am SO glad that my coach made me take this past year to rework all of my basics.

In all, I feel like more of a skater...but I'd still like that axel ;)

sk8er1964
11-06-2002, 04:08 PM
A year ago I was off the ice, stressed and weighing a lot more than I should. Now I've lost 35 lbs, have tested freestyle through Silver (Gold test is scheduled), and MIF Gold. (PS - I'm a returning skater, not an adult beginner.)

Blue Line
11-06-2002, 04:27 PM
In skating a year ago...I wasn't!

That's not entirely true. I was making my way to the rink a few times a month to skate around in circles and wish that I had the guts to sign myself up for some group lessons and get somewhere besides around the ice one more time!

At this point, the progress isn't so much what I'm proud of, it's that I'm even giving it a try.