View Full Version : My test.....help!

miraclegro
06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I just tested standard track Intermediat MIF after crossing over to standard track. I had previously tested Adult Gold MIF. Well, after a 7 am freestyle and not getting my turn till 4:00 ish, i was a bit wobbly and did not pass.

Anyway, another problem i have encountered the past 2 times i have tested this has been breathing problems. I take a puff of my inhaler about 30 mins prior, and see okay, but when i get going, i cannot catch my breath from early on. I haven't had asthma much unless running a program, so i am wondering if i am doing only shallow breathing or not breathing? How on earth do i know? I have so much to remember already! Any help would be appreciated. Oxygen is critical to getting my legs going! ugh

Kim to the Max
06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Have you tried practicing with a 5 minute warm up immediately when you get on the ice and then going through your test?

I had to do that consistently to get ready for Junior moves. I still have a problem waiting too long between moves and a nervous habit of cracking my knuckles before going (coach pointed this out IN THE MIDDLE OF MY TEST on Friday :oops: :roll:). She did say that we were going to have to work on my timing issues because while it doesn't seem long to me, it seems like forever to her.

I would say that consistently practicing the warm up and the test, you will be able to get better at the timing. The other thing would be to build in 1 or 2 "breaks" during your test to go to your coach, catch your breath and grab a drink of water (and for me, a tissue :) ). Perhaps after the power circles, and after the back double 3's would be a good time to try to catch your breath...

Good luck!!

katz in boots
06-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Feel free to jump down my throat, but are you sure it is asthma?

I have witnessed several people who believe they have asthma, however it is really obvious that what they are experiencing is actually anxiety attacks. Their laboured breathing is similar, and their dependency on their inhaler gives them comfort, however it isn't asthma. Just a thought.

fsk8r
06-21-2010, 06:12 AM
If you're not breathing, could you possibly get your coach to choreograph breaths into the moves. I know I hold my breath on spins and I probably do so on jumps, but because spins take so much longer I really notice it.

I second the idea of stepping on the ice, doing the required warm up and just skating the exercises straight through back to back. And if anything in practice you should do the test twice through before stopping, in the same way as doing back to back program run throughs, helps build stamina to counteract nerves.

miraclegro
06-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Oh no, you are not jumping down my throat. I am not sure it is asthma. I do have mild asthma after running a program because i think of sinus drainage.

But this seems differnt. That's why i don't know what to do. I seem okay, but once i get going, it is crazy to feel i have enough oxygen and i feel i have to stop after every move for a minute to get any kind of breathing back. I think it may be anxiety (but i do'nt think its a panic attack). I think maybe the anxiety keeps me from breathing properly.

Nancy
06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
For weeks leading up to any of my MIF tests I do a quick warmup and then a full run through at every practice. Not only does this help with the stamina, but it also gives me a routine that helps me keep focused during the test. When I tested my Intermediate in January, I planned a break after the cinnamon rolls and then during the test ended up taking an additional one.

miraclegro
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
What do you mean "cinnamon rolls"? You ate them before you skated? :)

Yeah, a girl (skater) who stood by the door when i warmed up and then tested said i should do the warm up then full run through. I guess i need to try that next time.

miraclegro
06-21-2010, 06:57 PM
What do you mean "cinnamon rolls"? You ate them before you skated? :)

Yeah, a girl (skater) who stood by the door when i warmed up and then tested said i should do the warm up then full run through. I guess i need to try that next time.

or are you talking about the power crossovers?

Skittl1321
06-21-2010, 07:15 PM
My old coach called the crossover power circles cinnamon rolls.

I haven't really gotten to a test that really needs stamina yet- but when I was preparing for bronze, I did double run throughs of the test without breaks. It really helped me get through the test in the long run. When our rink gets humid (it often does) in addition to having to deal with fogging up glasses, I get to where a lap around the rink means I can't breathe anymore.

katz in boots
06-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Maybe you should talk to a GP or Physio about this. The GP can check out whether it really is asthma, whether the inhaler really is the best possible method of coping with this. Not everyone believes that prophylactic inhalers are a good thing.

My physio has recently pointed out I am not breathing in the most efficient way, and a couple of weeks of mindfulness exercises has really helped with that.

I am sure there is going to turn out to be an 'aha' moment for you with this, and perhaps you do need to explore this with professional help.