View Full Version : Coach amazed at my jumps after my skates have been sharpened!!!!!

londonicechamp
06-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Hi

Guess what? I had my skates sharpened after my skating lesson on Tuesday, as the coach agreed with me that the blades need sharpening. She at first only wanted them to be stoned, however, when she got the coach who does the stoning to look at my skates, the coach said that he cannot do it coz my blades are too flat.

So eventually my skates have to be sent off for proper sharpening through the machine. At first, I was not sure how I will do after the sharpening. My coach did send me an e-mail during my lunch time yesterday, telling me that I probably have to try out my skates first after the sharpening, before she decides whether to sand down the edges or not.

I tried, the blades were a bit sticky, and so the coach had them sanded down twice during my lesson.

The good thing is that after the sharpening, my coach noticed remarkable difference in my jumping, at least now I can glide on the ice before the jumping, and also the jumps are wider, and the edges are clearer etc. She is amazed at the improvement of my jumps after the sharpening. :lol: My coach said that my jumps before probably were not good coz the blades were too blunt, and so I could not feel anything. :roll:

Have to get used to the feeling of the spins again. However, during practice, not that bad really. Also found that coz now the edges are sharper, I can do sit spin better too. :D

So no loss suffered after the sharpening, and I am happy with it. :P

londonicechamp

Sessy
06-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Ugh, I hate skating on blunt skates I can never get anything done on blunt skates. :mrgreen:

How long didn't you sharpen them for?

londonicechamp
06-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Sessy

I have not have my skates sharpened for like years.

londonicechamp

GoSveta
06-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Dull Skates = Weak/Insecure Edges.

Most people don't like doing big jumps with speed on dull blades, and will hold back a little if their skates are dull.

So it's not surprising that your jumps got bigger after getting them sharpened.

Really shouldn't go that long without a sharpening :P

Sessy
06-19-2010, 12:34 PM
yeah, I get mine sharpened what, every 30 hours of skating? That's on the coronation aces, the MK's needed it more frequently.

techskater
06-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Not necessarily true about MKs. My Phantoms hold a good edge for 40-60 hours depending on the ice quality.

Sessy
06-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Not necessarily true about MKs. My Phantoms hold a good edge for 40-60 hours depending on the ice quality.

Prolly a bit more expensive than the mk21's I had though. Like, by factor 10 or so. *grin*

dbny
06-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Dull blades are a good opportunity to practice edge control on moves. Great technique trumps dull blades (up to a point, of course.)

GoSveta
06-20-2010, 03:56 AM
MK Phantom is a relatively high end freestyle blade. They cost about as much as a mid-grade paramount blade (like $450+ or so). They keep a decent sharpening quite a while. My MK Pros tend to need sharpening more often.

Doing edges and stuff on dull blades isn't the same as doing jumps with good amplitude and fast entrance and exit edges. The jump landing doesn't really care if you can do perfect brackets on a flat blade.

Yes, up to a point.