View Full Version : Hackensack Cancelled

MusicSkateFan
06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
:roll: Due to problem at the rink the Adult weekend has been cancelled.

They called me today to let me know. I guess I had been so busy, maybe someone already mentioned this!

jazzpants
06-16-2010, 07:23 PM
What's the "problem" at the rink anyway? Did they say?

Oh, FRAAAAAANK????

AgnesNitt
06-16-2010, 08:07 PM
There wasn't anything posted on the Hackensack site about it.

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm wondering what it could be. They have 4 sheets of ice. Last year one was being remade. This bites, my ladies were going and were so excited!!!

sexyskates
06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I received the phone message also. Something about the subfloor of 2 of the rinks needing work, so not enough ice available for the camp. Darn! I love that camp!

RoaringSkates
06-17-2010, 01:13 PM
That's too bad. I always end up having a ton of fun at these things.

If anyone was flying in for the camp, and must still come to NY or lose their money, know that there's ice on that weekend at the Ice Vault at Wayne, and I believe at Floyd Hall in Montclair - and Montclair is accessible by train to NYC and to Newark. There's also Chelsea Piers in the city, if that's open on the weekend right now. And an ice dance session on Sunday morning in Katonah, at the rink at the Harvey School - there's a train to Katonah, and if you want to do the session, give the Hickory Hill Skating Club a call, and someone probably will be able to pick you up at the train station and drive you to the rink - this is commonly done.

Lots of great coaches work in this area. You might be able to ring one up and arrange a private lesson, or even a group lesson for you and your other skating friends.

Query
06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
I suggest you call Hackensack, or look at their website, to make sure the messages weren't sent by someone else, to sabotage Hackensack's event.

---

If that isn't so:

The would-be instructors were probably left in the lurch too, having paid for airline tickets, hotel reservations, scheduled vacation time, etc.

I'm not going.

But maybe those of you who are, could use this forum to organize, then contact the instructors, or good substitutes, and put something similar together at one of Hackensack's nearby competitor rinks. Or all get together and call one of the organizers of the other events mentioned by the previous poster, and see if they are interested in taking you at the last minute - mentioning that the instructors contracted by Hackensack might be available.

It would emphasize to Hackensack how important it was to find a way to keep their promises if at all possible, even if it meant leasing time at other rinks and/or canceling other sessions.

The instructors' contact info can probably be found through the USFSA, ISI or PSA directories, or by looking for their name and "coach" at a search engine.

This forum may be big enough to be used to organize future events of this sort in general. A lot of rinks get light attendance in the summer, and have ice time available.

AgnesNitt
06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm wondering what it could be. They have 4 sheets of ice. Last year one was being remade. This bites, my ladies were going and were so excited!!!

Before I broke my ankle and the Big Guy wrenched his back we were going to do what query said, set up our own personal week on ice. We were going to get hotel rooms in DC, then arrange lessons and ice time at all the (remaining) rinks in the area.
The important part I think is the hotel rooms. Once you're out of the house it's a vacation!:lol:

MusicSkateFan
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
What's the big deal? I canceled my hotel, they did not charge my card for the event. No loss here..I will do something else that weekend. Not interested in doing some half A##ed make shift camp (like the one at Aston a few years ago, oops did that slip out?) I was just going to to this one to zipp past the silver and below skaters in the warm up time and laugh when they run to the boards to get out of my way!

8-)8-)8-)