View Full Version : In the freezer against the smell?

Sessy
06-14-2010, 05:21 AM
I read this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_113579_freshen-smelly-shoes.html

Do you suppose that works on skates? Without ruining them I mean.

RachelSk8er
06-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Not sure. I try to generally avoid extreme temperatures when it comes to my skates (both my figure skates and my roller skates). So no leaving them in the car where they can be subject to extreme heat/cold, and I always try to bring them in and air them out when I'm done skating. Even if this means that they come into work with me and sit under my desk because I either figure skated before work and my skates need to fully dry out, or I have roller derby or figure skating after work and don't want the skates to sit in the trunk of the car. Just something simple as not just letting them sit in a skate bag after use keeps them from ever getting really stinky.

I have put stinky running shoes and derby equipment in the dishwasher to get rid of stench/kill bacteria. Obviously when it comes to figure skates, that won't work.

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2010, 08:56 PM
when mine really start reeking (I skate barefoot so it happens), I pop out the insole and wash it, I also rub down the inside with a slightly damp washcloth dipped into either a small amount of alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. I stretch them open to air dry. I found this works really well, usually do it 2-3 times per year.