View Full Version : Hotfix on illusion - ?

sk8tmum
06-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I generally use hotfix when I stone; it's fast and I get great results - but, for the first time, I need to stone on illusion. Not random scattered ones either, a heavy-ish line of them (fake necklace effect).

Is it safe to hotfix on illusion? Or, should I haul out my flatbacks and glue? I have both, of course! Any tips or tricks?

Skate@Delaware
06-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I would test on some scraps first, you might have to go for a lot less time, and also see if the fabric melts (which is a good possibility especially of you hold the tip too long). If you are good at using the glue, this might save some frustration just in case you slip and melt the fabric.

sk8lady
06-13-2010, 07:53 PM
It works and looks great--just make sure it's in the right place as it looks quite ugly if the glue slides around!

katz in boots
06-14-2010, 03:30 AM
If you use mylar paper (clear plastic heatproof, re-usable film), the fabric won't melt. You can make up your pattern putting hotfix crystals upside down on the clear paper, so you make sure the stones are in the right place, then iron it on. Picking up the stone, waiting for it to melt then putting it on or gluing have never worked that well for me, mylar paper rocks my world!

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I use the mylar, especially for large designs-it works great! Also, I put a piece of cardboard covered in non-stick reynolds foil underneath whatever I'm stoning. It protects the garment AND if some of the glue leaks underneath the fabric, it prevents the mistake of glueing through the fabric to the piece behind (yeah, found this out the hard way one should separate the fabric!)

katz in boots
06-17-2010, 03:52 AM
I use the mylar, especially for large designs-it works great! Also, I put a piece of cardboard covered in non-stick reynolds foil underneath whatever I'm stoning. It protects the garment AND if some of the glue leaks underneath the fabric, it prevents the mistake of glueing through the fabric to the piece behind (yeah, found this out the hard way one should separate the fabric!)

Yes, very important to use something under the fabric being blinged. I use a silicone baking paper, which works well too.