View Full Version : DC Area Rinks

CrossedBlades
06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm heading to DC for the summer next week, and I know there are lots of rinks in the area, so I'm very happily packing my skates. :D

Can anyone recommend a rink that's readily Metro-accessible (I won't be bringing my car)? I know about ArenaMaps and Query's site, but I find DC perplexing, to say the least, so any guidance would be appreciated. It looks like Kettler is pretty easy to get to, but I'm always on the lookout for more ice. I'll be living in Brookland for the first part of the summer, and moving over near Union State toward the end.

Ideally, I'd like a rink with quiet public sessions or designated low freestyle - I'm only USFS FS1/Dance 2, so definitely nothing special.

Any and all advice about DC in general also welcome ;)

AgnesNitt
06-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Kettler rink is within walking distance of a metro stop. Also Ballston.

MusicSkateFan
06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
KCI is the most convenient as far as Metro Access. If you are going to skate there you may want to try the middle of the day freestyle or possible public sessions. The local schools are in session to June 25th so that may help the crowds mid day but I beleive KCI is starting their summer camp program on Monday the 21st? Bring plenty of $ and your patience.

Ellyn
06-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Kettler = KCI = Ballston

The above posts are talking about the same rink.

If you're dependent on Metro, that's probably your best bet.

(By mileage, if you could drive, Wheaton is probably most convenient to Brookland.)

Query
06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Herbert Wells Ice Rink in College Park, MD is also on Metro, but is not open in the summer. Besides, it's often crowded.

Many rinks are accessible by Metro Bus, but I assume you mean Metro Rail.

Kettler is nice and mostly uncrowded mid-day, if you are Freestyle or Dance level (there are not many public sessions). It is always somewhat expensive. It's in a relatively safe neighborhood - always an issue in DC.

I feel so sorry for you that you have to be in DC in the summer. It's hot, humid, and there is nothing near DC that is worthwhile. They have museums, government and restaurants, and places to dance, but who cares? Be very hard to kayak via Metro. There are hiking clubs that hire buses to take you from Metro stations.

Be sure to ask people which places in DC are safe to go to!

My links need to be updated. Session schedules are linked from the main kettler web page

http://www.kettlercapitalsiceplex.com

The directions link from that page needs some explanation. The outdoor route from the Metro, last I knew, did not work, because the doors are locked. Give yourself 10-15 minutes to follow the indoor route, and remember that Metro takes a while to find your way around too, and isn't very fast.

Kettler offers fun sounding classes, but call ahead - they are frequently cancelled if not enough show up.

CrossedBlades
06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the help, y'all! :bow: I'll definitely be looking into Kettler. They look fairly adult-friendly, too, which is fantastic.

Query, if there are any rinks you recommend that are accessible via Metro Bus, I'd love to hear about them. DC traffic scares the living daylights out of me, but surely the bus can't be that bad, right? As for DC in the summer, it looks downright luxurious compared to some of the places I've lived, especially in terms of weather and transport.

Scarlett
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Just adding my two cents...I think the only metro accessible (train) rink is Ballston. The morning sessions are still pretty quiet there but the rink is the priciest in the area. Getting there from Brookland is going to be a haul so give yourself plenty of time.

As far as the buses are concerned...I've lived in the DC area my entire life and have never ridden a metro bus. You may want to consider a car. Most of the area rinks (and there are quite a few) are located off the beaten path.

Query
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I haven't driven in your neighborhoods enough to tell you how practical it is to drive or take Metrobus to any given rink. So take other people's advice. Perhaps you could call the Wheaton rink for advice on how to take a bus from the nearest Metrorail station (see also here (http://www.wmata.com/tripplanner_d/TripPlanner_Form_Solo.cfm)), but Metrorail to Kettler might be simpler.

DC traffic is difficult. You have to stay calm, and commute time varies. DC profits from tickets, so obey all rules carefully. A GPS with a traffic receiver helps a lot. Parking is hard in some neighborhoods.

But if a car is an option, it opens up a lot of possibilities around DC in general. Using Metro alone imposes a lot of constraints, especially in the suburbs.

I guess it depends on what you are in DC to do. For some things, Metro is fine.