View Full Version : Patches - Old Style

Kim to the Max
06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I was looking through my stuff at my mom's house and I cannot seem to find my patches from my pre-pre thru juv moves in the field tests. I found my pins/patches from my freestyle test, but cannot remember if I got the moves ones or if I did, where I put them. I e-mailed USFS and they do not have the old style shield patches (which is what I would have gotten). I would love to get ahold of the pre-pre thru juv moves patches so that when I finally pass my senior moves, I will be able to frame them all and I think it would be neat to have the patches reflect when I passed the tests.

Would any of you know of where I could get one of each of those? It's not the end of the world if I don't get them, I will just order the new style patches, but I just thought it would be neat the other way.

Thanks!!

Schmeck
06-08-2010, 06:12 AM
My daughter never got patches, just a certificate - did you have to pay extra for the patches?

RachelSk8er
06-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I never saw patches, only thing I've ever seen is the gold medal for senior tests. Maybe contact USFS, they may have some old ones hanging out in storage somewhere at headquarters that they are willing to sell.

I wish I knew where my little hat with all my LTS badges was, but I haven't seen it in 20 yrs. My mom probably has it stashed in the chest with my baby blankets and old favorite toys.

Kim to the Max
06-08-2010, 08:24 AM
My current club gives out the patches for each of your tests that you pass. They are white and are a parallelogram in shape. The patches used to be a shield in shape, which is what I have for my freestyle tests from when I was a kid. I could have sworn that I had patches for my moves tests, but when I finally found the jewelry box my LTS and FS patches were in, there weren't any moves patches. So, I don't know if I got them or I didn't... I asked USFS and they said that they sold all of their stock of the old ones. I will probably just have to buy the new style patches, but I just thought it would be neat to have the old shield ones down one side and the new ones on the other to represent when I passed the tests - when I finally pass senior, I'm going to frame everything. But, I will probably just have to buy the new ones, which are only like $2.50 each...

Isk8NYC
06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
This would be an interesting Skating magazine article - the Search for the Test Patch.

I have a shield-shaped USFSA patch from long ago and I remember seeing the test patches for Figures and Freestyle.
I had a bunch of ISI patches on my Club skating jacket years ago. I think the USFSA revised the patch shape before Moves were implemented, but I could be wrong. If I'm right, you might not find shield-style patches for Moves tests. Maybe someone else who knows for certain will chime in.

Our USFSA club gives us the patch/pin option on the test registration form. The USFSA includes the certificate in the test cost, but the patches/pins are an additional cost. I purchased the test pins for the girls and I - it's easier to move to a new jacket, or to remove for cleaning. The current versions of both patches and pins (http://www.usfsa.org/shell.asp?cat=4&id=1&sid=25191) are on the USFSA Members Only store - https://www.usfsaonline.org/ProductCatalog/ListCatalog.asp (You have to sign in with your membership ID to see the list)

http://www.usfsa.org/content/Pre-PreliminaryMovesPin.jpghttp://www.usfsa.org/content/PreliminaryPatch.jpg

ETA: I just looked at the Test Chair Guide and a gold lapel pin is awarded to skaters who pass senior moves in the field, senior free skating, eighth figure, solo gold dance, gold dance, senior free dance, senior pair, adult gold figure, adult gold moves in the field, adult gold free skating, adult gold pairs or the adult gold dance test. Someone who recently PASSED Senior Moves said that she had to pay extra. Maybe it's optional after all.

Kim, try sending an email to some of the older clubs in your area. They may have a few left over that they'd love to sell to you. I know our club only orders what they need for the current test schedules.

If they don't have any, try the Skating Club of New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. Those established clubs may have some patches that no one wants because they wouldn't "match" the old ones.

daisies
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
ETA: I just looked at the Test Chair Guide and a gold lapel pin is awarded to skaters who pass senior moves in the field, senior free skating, eighth figure, solo gold dance, gold dance, senior free dance, senior pair, adult gold figure, adult gold moves in the field, adult gold free skating, adult gold pairs or the adult gold dance test. Someone who recently PASSED Senior Moves said that she had to pay extra. Maybe it's optional after all.
They used to be free. I got the lapel pin for free directly from USFS when I passed my 8th figure in 2004. I passed my senior MIF in 1999, but didn't get a pin ... but I didn't realize I was supposed to have gotten one til I got my figures one in '04! So I just called USFS and asked if I was supposed to get one for MIF, and they said yes, verified my test and sent me a pin.

Those are the round lapel pins, though, and are different from the gold "medal" pins. My club paid for for my 8th figure gold medal, which has the USFS logo on a gold chain hanging from a gold bar. I framed it along with my test certificate!

mr7740
06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
They used to be free. I got the lapel pin for free directly from USFS when I passed my 8th figure in 2004. I passed my senior MIF in 1999, but didn't get a pin ... but I didn't realize I was supposed to have gotten one til I got my figures one in '04! So I just called USFS and asked if I was supposed to get one for MIF, and they said yes, verified my test and sent me a pin.

Those are the round lapel pins, though, and are different from the gold "medal" pins. My club paid for for my 8th figure gold medal, which has the USFS logo on a gold chain hanging from a gold bar. I framed it along with my test certificate!

You probably didn't get a pin for Senior Movies at the time because it wasn't considered a "gold" test yet. I passed mine in 1997 and did not get one like I did when I completed dance and freestyle the following year. I always just figured Senior Moves didn't count in the same way, but it seems like that changed at some point. Maybe I should try to request a pin even though it is years later (unless they have discontinued this)!

Stormy
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I was looking through my stuff at my mom's house and I cannot seem to find my patches from my pre-pre thru juv moves in the field tests. I found my pins/patches from my freestyle test, but cannot remember if I got the moves ones or if I did, where I put them. I e-mailed USFS and they do not have the old style shield patches (which is what I would have gotten). I would love to get ahold of the pre-pre thru juv moves patches so that when I finally pass my senior moves, I will be able to frame them all and I think it would be neat to have the patches reflect when I passed the tests.

Would any of you know of where I could get one of each of those? It's not the end of the world if I don't get them, I will just order the new style patches, but I just thought it would be neat the other way.

Thanks!!

I vaguely remember the ones you're talking about....I might even have one or two at my parents house. I'll check. But the idea of calling the older clubs is a good idea! SC of Boston might have some.

vesperholly
06-11-2010, 05:54 AM
I've seen them pop up on eBay from time to time. Usually searching for USFSA will get you good results, because they're often mislabeled as skiing or roller skating (I don't know!).

My skate shop also used to have a whole box of patches and pins. I'll check there to see if they still have them.

(USFS also issues bronze medals for Novice tests and silver for Junior ... I was so flippin' thrilled about passing those MIF tests that I bought myself the medals. My club buys the $125 gold medal, which I'm still waiting on :) )