View Full Version : What do you think?

teresa
06-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Do you think it's possible for an adult who didn't skate as a child to learn a double jump? I'm looking for honest thoughts here.

Thanks,

Teresa

jjane45
06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I think talented male young adults have a really good chance.
I used to see a young dude at adult public session landing gorgeous double jumps and killer sit spins. Just found out from my coach that he started figure skating only 3-4 years ago (no roller experience either), in a recent ice show he even included a triple salchow! 8O
OTOH since I don't know his exact age he could have started in his late teens...
---
Edited to add: alright SORRY I found out the above-mentioned skater is still a teenager. He just looks mature enough to skate in adult skating session.
I still think it's possible for adults to master double jumps though.

Sessy
06-07-2010, 03:02 AM
I *know* it's possible. Lady who used to skate at our rink started at 28 and she does a double sal and double toe. Says it's only about 40% consistency, but then she's only in her early 30's. If you count people who started in their late teens, I can give you a few more examples of people who learned doubles. I think the big trick for adults is to not overtax their bodies, since healing isn't as quick anymore and adults don't have a watchful parent to look out for them, but at the same time to not slide down the fear slide of being too afraid to jump amongst the people with whom I keep in touch who are all adult skaters around here. Of the adult and even late-teenage skaters, I see a lot who come up on one side of the scale and a lot who either don't progress much in their skating and grow frustrated, or get injured as a result. It's usually injuries not from falls, btw, but from either overzealously stretching ignoring common sense, or from training so much that tendons inflame.

Didn't Doubletoe around here start in her 30's too?

katz in boots
06-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Yes, I believe it is possible. I'm sure there are people on these boards who have done this. Not me, though :cry:. I was working on double toe-loops & axels way back when I was 23ish. Darn sure I would've got them.

If an adult is fit, getting good technical instruction and is determined, I do believe it is possible.

AxelBaby
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I started as an adult (although a young adult - I started at about 25ish). Have been skating for 3.5 years and have all doubles up to and including flip. Including some double double combos. So yes, it is possible.

Mind you, I spend an awful lot of time at the rink. I have to work extremely hard in order to get, and maintain, these skills. It certainly hasn't been easy, but I love it. And I want that darned double axel, no matter what.

In my opinion what holds most adults back are two things: 1) fear of falling and 2) lack of free time to commit to the sport.

I got over the fear of falling immediately, and I am lucky in that I work where I can set my own hours. So I am very lucky. I am not sure if most adults would be able to dedicate the amount of time I do to skating.

herniated
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
It's definitely possible...but as Axelbaby said you have to be able to have the time and $resources to do it. And great instruction too.. And I believe Doubletoe started out as a roller skater? Don't quote or hang me on that Please!

I started skating at 28 and had a double sal by around....34ish. But I was not skating every day maybe 5x a week at that point. And it wasn't a very good 2sal. lol. Then I had a baby and well...that was that for the doubles. Just my experience here.

mdvask8r
06-07-2010, 01:41 PM
ABSOLUTELY!! Started skating @ age 47. After a lot of work and with a very patient coach, I am landing doubles on the harness @ age 55. (no help from the harness, just crash prevention.) They get a little more consistant each week so I figure I'll be ready to venture off the harness soon.

GO FOR IT!! You can do it! :)

Skate@Delaware
06-07-2010, 02:00 PM
ABSOLUTELY!! Started skating @ age 47. After a lot of work and with a very patient coach, I am landing doubles on the harness @ age 55. (no help from the harness, just crash prevention.) They get a little more consistant each week so I figure I'll be ready to venture off the harness soon.

GO FOR IT!! You can do it! :)
Which jump did you start working on first for doubles? How much off-ice training do you do and what specifically do you do?

I'm thinking (for those of us with limited resources & lack of summer ice or ice in general) that off-ice training is going to be key.

drskater
06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Hmmmmm, good question! I know it's possible because my husband learned an axel and dble sals and loops as an adult. Still, no matter what he does he always looks a bit raw and unpolished. I think this is actually the case with most adults who do these advanced jumps--they CAN learn them but the jumps never look as good as those performed by people who learned as kids.

Isk8NYC
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
I think some of the lack of polish in adult skating might come from lack of time on the ice. I used to spend up to four or five hours a day on the ice at one time. (I skated three or four days each week.) I think it helps build endurance and strength, but more importantly, it reduces that feeling of "rushing through" practices to get everything done.

It's really hard to find that much continguous ice time these days. Rinks have so much scheduled programming and rentals that they want open/freestyle sessions to be packed so as to bring in as much income as possible. Reduce the number of freestyles and you immediately increase attendance. Until the skaters go elsewhere, if they have the option.

doubletoe
06-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I took my first group lesson at 27 and landed my first double salchow at 38 (I actually took 5 years off from ages 32-37, so it didn't take as long as it sounds). I know several other adults who started in their early 30's who successfully learned the double toeloop and double salchow. I agree that there are not many adult onset skaters who have doubles that look like the kids' doubles. I think if you learn them when you are younger (before puberty), your neural pathways are more flexible and it's easier to learn new body positions. I think that after puberty, it's harder to learn new body positions and movements for the first time; your brain sort of fights them. It's just like learning a foreign language after puberty vs. before: You can learn it, but you'll probably have an accent.

I also noticed a difference in my body as I hit 40. I used to be able to practice something over and over and be none the worse for wear, but right around the time I hit 40, I started to get overuse injuries in my knee and back if I didn't limit myself. These double jumps take thousands of attempts to master, and at a certain point you will have to decide whether it's worth the risk. Last year I threw out my back practicing my salchow takeoff too many times and it scared me off of the double sal for about a year. I am now working to get it back, but limiting myself to only a certain number of takeoffs per week.

P.S. Just saw the post above. No, I never roller skated.

flo
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
yup ......... ;)

teresa
06-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I appreciated all the thoughtful input. I found it encouraging that so many were positive. (Didn't you?!) Congrads to the folks who can or are trying. As you guessed I'd like to try. =-)

Teresa

Skate@Delaware
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd also like to get at least one double and an axel. My coach believes this is possible, if I stay on track with my skating and off-ice training (weights, cardio, plyometrics, etc). I don't get as much ice time as I used to but I try to make every minute count.

teresa
06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Skate@Delaware,

It's neat to hear your around the same spot as me. Insanity likes to have company. =-) I try with the axel and have had one lesson on the double salchow. My coach has never said I can but she hasn't said I can't either. I feel good that she is giving me the chance to try. Positive encouragement makes you feel hopeful. I skate about 6 or 7 hours a week. What about you?

Teresa

Skate@Delaware
06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I was skating about 2 hours a week when school was in session (I'm in college), lately up to 6 hours. But I used to skate 10-20 hours/week HOWEVER I had very little in the way of skill and no jumps.

I am concentrating on rotation, height, and speed (not necessarily in that order). I am not working on the axel but I did let my coach know that my goals are: an axel and a double jump. I do work off-ice as well and am getting ready to hit it hard with off-ice jump training this summer. My coach will start with either the double salchow or double loop because my toe-loop is blech.