View Full Version : Q about PreBronze FS testing

Laura H
06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
I am getting ready to test USFSA Bronze MITF and PB freeskate this weekend and was wondering about the format of the freeskate testing - will the judges just want me to do one element after the other, or will they stop me in between each one? Also, do they need to be done in the same order as they are listed on the judge's sheet? This one is kind of unusual with it not requiring a program/music setting. I know they will explain to me exactly how they want the test to be done, but I'd like to have some idea of what I am getting myself into . . . LOL.

I actually did watch another skater at our rink test this, but it's been a while and for the life of me, I cannot remember how they had her go through it!

LilJen
06-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Since this is the first test in the adult MITF structure, the judges are very helpful and encouraging. My PB tests were a lot of back and forth between me and the judges as I got through the elements.

When I took my PB MITF, I started out by going over to the judge and talking to her--she asked if I knew the order of moves and I rattled them off. I finished off each move and then checked with her as she scribbled notes--she'd give me the nod to go onto the next move.

It was similar for PB FS. The judge asked if I had a program--I laughed and said nope, just the elements (and you are welcome to do the required elements in a program--you're just not required to do so). She said go right ahead and I went through them in order, just like on the MITF test, with a pause after each one to give her a chance to write comments and then she'd give me the heads up to go to the next element.

Enjoy, and good luck!

Isk8NYC
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
First, good luck and have a great skate!

Remember that as soon as you step on the ice, you've started your test.
Use your best posture and stroking at all times, even between moves and elements.
Make sure that the judge is ready before you start a move/element.

One of my students suggested ASKING the judge how s/he would indicate that they were ready for the next move. (A nod, a wave, what?) It's a good idea if the judge doesn't tell you him/herself. The woman who judged my test announced the moves elements in order at the beginning.

The test committee or judges might tell you where to perform moves like the edges on the line. If there are other skaters testing, they might assign you one blue hockey line and have another skater use the other blue line at the same time. It saves time because each skater can be judged (by different judges) at the same time.

Also along the "testing multiple skaters at once" thread, I had to follow this tiny little girl on the perimeter stroking part of the test. I knew I'd have run her over within a few strokes, so I suggested to the judges that I should give her a good head start, so as to not distract her or make her feel it was a race. They smiled and agreed, so I gave her a 3/4 length start before I began my own pattern.

If the location on the ice is a major problem, just nicely ask if you can switch somewhere else. For example, I prefer to do the crossover circles lengthwise instead of width-wise. If I were assigned the two end hockey circles, I would ask if I could instead turn the pattern and use one of the hockey lines as my center axis. Some skaters have always used the hockey lines to practice the Waltz Eight pattern (not on Pre-Bronze, I know) and being assigned to the hockey circles is an obstacle. In NJ, it's not an issue to ask.

My current club publishes the location assignment as part of the schedule and coaches can request changes beforehand as well.

Debbie S
06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
The judge asked if I had a program--I laughed and said nope, just the elements (and you are welcome to do the required elements in a program--you're just not required to do so). Hmmm, the test sheets says elements are to be skated individually, w/o music. I guess the judges wouldn't actually fail someone for doing a program, but in general, you should really do what the test sheet (and rulebook) says.

I am getting ready to test USFSA Bronze MITF and PB freeskate this weekend and was wondering about the format of the freeskate testing When you go up to the judges to introduce yourself and state what test you are taking, ask what they'd like you to do. They will probably tell you to do what LilJen did - perform each element and pause in between to wait for them to nod their heads that they're ready for you to do the next one. Yes, the elements should be done in the same order as on the sheet. I imagine since it's an encouragement test, if you did an element out of order, you wouldn't fail, but in general, elements should be done in order unless otherwise specified, so it's good to get used to doing that now.

Good luck!

Skittl1321
06-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Waltz Eight pattern (not on Pre-Bronze, I know)
I think Waltz Eight is pre-bronze, actually.

For the OP- I'd say be ready for anything, but know that the judges are on your side, so if you are uncomfortable, ask if it can be changed.

For my PB MITF I double paneled with another skater. For the stroking around the rink, we started from opposite sides of the rink. For edges, waltz 8 and crossovers, we were just given opposite sides of the rink. For the 3-turns we were to start on opposite ends, but for some reason my coach really didn't like that idea. I asked the judge if I could follow the other skater, and she said that would be fine, so I gave him a length head start, then followed behind. Before hand the judges asked me if I knew the order of the moves, and from then on I just went to wherever they motioned to to get ready to start the move. I assume had I said no, they would have told me what to do next.

For my PB Freestyle, I started by asking the judge if I had the correct order of the element (since it is not a program, and they are in order on the sheet). She said yes, but it didn't matter, just do the an element, pause to let her write notes, and do another element. She'd figure out where to write them on the sheet. I still did them in order though. (A previous poster said you can do them in program, but that might depend on the area. Our area does not allot time to the PB Freestyle test to do a program, and it's likely you'll be on the ice with pre-pre freestyle tests, so if you leave your "area" for a program, you could cause problems.)

Kim to the Max
06-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Hmmm, the test sheets says elements are to be skated individually, w/o music. I guess the judges wouldn't actually fail someone for doing a program, but in general, you should really do what the test sheet (and rulebook) says.

The pre-pre girls at my rink usually have a choreographed order/location for the jumps/spins in the order they are supposed to do them. No hand movements or transitions or anything, but it's set that they do them one after another without stopping. I would imagine that is what would be meant by a "program."

Skittl1321
06-04-2010, 12:16 PM
The pre-pre girls at my rink usually have a choreographed order/location for the jumps/spins in the order they are supposed to do them. No hand movements or transitions or anything, but it's set that they do them one after another without stopping. I would imagine that is what would be meant by a "program."

You know, I don't think it's a bad idea to have a plan of what to do if the judge asks you to do them like this - all connected together (like a compulsory program)

But if you plan on a program, be prepared to be flexible if the judge asks you to pause between the elements and do them in test order.

Test rules: be early, be flexible.

Isk8NYC
06-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I think Waltz Eight is pre-bronze, actually.
I thought it was, but the trial judge's sheet didn't show it. Must be out of date.
http://www.usfsa.org/content/Adult%20Pre%20BronzeMITF%20trial.pdf

I checked the rulebook and you're right - glad I mentioned the location assignment.

Of the test sessions I've attended, the Pre-Prel and Pre-Bronze Freeskate tests were done on half-ice if more than one skater was testing.

Laura H
06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Remember that as soon as you step on the ice, you've started your test.
Use your best posture and stroking at all times, even between moves and elements.

LOL . . . were you sitting in on my lesson yesterday? (I felt like I was going to :frus: if I heard one more "arms up!" yelled at me by my coach . . . I know they're supposed to be up . . . but somehow they just sneak back down when I'm not looking ;) . . . I may be walking around OFF ice with "arms up" just to overcompensate!!

Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions . . . just wanted to get some ideas of different ways that the test might be conducted so I can sort of be prepared for whatever way the judge wants to go!

RachelSk8er
06-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Yeah I've seen pre-pre and adult pre-bronze done like a compulsory. Half the ice, no music, no stopping between elements. I've also seen them done where skaters stopped between each element. I don't think either way is wrong (the first way isn't really a "program" per se, but especially with younger skaters, something rehearsed over and over like a compulsory can ease the nerves a little). Just ask the judge(s), they'll give you guidance.

Isk8NYC
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Champion cords wrist-to-wrist down your shirt/jacket sleeves help build awareness of the "keep your arms up." You have to use them regularly for a few minutes each session for them to be effective, but it is a great tool.

In NJ, many of the tests are "choreographed" between moves. The skaters skated proudly to their starting position, performed each move, then proceeded to their starting position for the next move, stopping to wait for the judge's signal. It was nice to watch as a spectator, like a compulsory event.

It was only the younger skaters though. None of the adult moves test-takers did that, in fact a few wandered around, trying to remember where they should be in between moves. That was disappointing to watch. I guess the adults had different coaches than the young skaters.

I forgot to mention stopping - make it clean and pretty.