View Full Version : Wifa boots - Untangling the catalogue

Andrew Tonkin
05-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Downloaded the Wifa catalogue. Like all these sorts of things, whether it be cameras cars or skates they push the benefits of every model leaving you confused what the marginal differences and pros and cons are and no idea what the negative points are.

Presently have a sixteen year old pair of Super Goldstar with what was termed a Vision cut to the back - basically a bit of elastic across the back top to better enable foot extension. Super Goldstar's, which was one down from the Diamond model, now gone off the menu I see.

I was going to splash out on the Diamond model but was in a bit of a quandary over the 'Traditional' or 'Derby' cut because it seemed to me the latter would make it harder to bend your leg whereas its claimed to make things easier but you wouldn't know until you've paid all that money for the wrong one. Anyone know about this Derby / Traditional cut business? The different types of ankle back cut padding seemed enough to bring you out in a sweat too - decisions decisions, ill-informed decisions ...

But then, I see, there is now a Dance model. That would seem the obvious choice seeing as recreational dance is all I'm interested in and its only available in the tradtional cut too, but the principal plus point about my Super Goldstars was the really good ankle support which has recently lost a lot of its strength through old age and how I come to now be looking for new.

So, what I'm also really wondering is how the ankle/side rigidity of the Goldstar, Diamond and Dance and Dance Gold models compare? What are the real design differences between these models?

Oh, and what about the heat mouldable feature, that I'd not previously heard of - anyone done that themselves? I know we're all supposed to dutifully recite the mantra about needing to see John Turner for Wifa boots but now the internet has come along since I bought the last pair (which I had to get from the Romford rink shop by word of mouth, as it happened anyway) I don't see why we can't shop around and in fact I know its even possible to get them direct from the factory. JT doesn't keep a selection of models available for inspection of the different features so surely you might just as well get them off the net if that also gives better service.

Andrew Tonkin
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Hello? Anyone here?

fsk8r
06-03-2010, 03:38 PM
What exactly is your question?
There are multiple boot manufacturers out there each providing different boots with different levels of support and different features which they all call different names. It's best to establish what level you are skating at, height, weight etc. and therefore determine what stiffness you are looking for and see which makes suit your needs. Also different manufacturers boots fit different people's feet differently.

As for heat molding it seems to be relatively standard on all higher level boots and greatly reduces the break in time. I highly recommend getting it done just to limit the amount of blisters as you break the boots in.

aussieskater
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I think the OP has 2 questions about Wifa boots:

So, what I'm also really wondering is how the ankle/side rigidity of the Goldstar, Diamond and Dance and Dance Gold models compare? What are the real design differences between these models?

Oh, and what about the heat mouldable feature, that I'd not previously heard of - anyone done that themselves?

No idea of the answer to the first, but yes you can certainly heat mould at home if you're careful. I used a hair dryer when I did mine.

Andrew Tonkin
06-04-2010, 03:45 PM
What exactly is your question?As originally posted and as since quoted by the other person who read it.

It's best to ... see which ... suit your needs
Oh right. Genius. So how do I do that, given so few places stock a selection of boots and they mostly have to be ordered especially from the factory, without asking here in the hope someone might read what I say and talk sense? Buying three or four pairs at £250-£350 a pair just to see which suits my needs sounds extravagant.

Isk8NYC
06-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Be patient, there are a few things delaying your getting an instant answer:

1) You posted your original thread in a forum that most experienced skaters ignore entirely. They're not interested in talking about others' skating, lol.

2) Towards the end of the work week, fewer people are around to read and post. TGIF, don't you know? Sunday to Tuesday are the busier days, so give it a week and see what answers you get.

3) I'm not certain e that Wifa is a popular brand among our current board members. It's a good brand, to be sure, but I don't think a lot of people have the experience or knowledge to answer your questions.

Come to think of it, I don't know ANYONE who has ever owned a pair of Wifa's. Here in the US, they're not carried by many pro shops.

You might want to post your inquiries on a UK or European message board to reach people with more knowledge about Wifa brand skates.

Did you ask Wifa to answer your questions? Most manufacturers have sales reps that can explain the different features and heat molding methods.

Just a tip: The snarky attitude might be working against you. ;)

Isk8NYC
06-04-2010, 04:11 PM
It's best to establish what level you are skating at, height, weight etc. and therefore determine what stiffness you are looking for and see which makes suit your needs. Also different manufacturers boots fit different people's feet differently.

This is actually a standard answer to the "what skate should I get" question. No one could comfortably recommend a skate model unless they knew:

Your level of skating
Your height
Your weight
I usually ask if the skater is still growing.

Why don't you try filling in the blanks for us and see if you get more targeted responses?

Sessy
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Wifa's not carried here either except a beginner model in very very small child's sizes.

fsk8r
06-05-2010, 05:20 AM
As originally posted and as since quoted by the other person who read it.

Oh right. Genius. So how do I do that, given so few places stock a selection of boots and they mostly have to be ordered especially from the factory, without asking here in the hope someone might read what I say and talk sense? Buying three or four pairs at £250-£350 a pair just to see which suits my needs sounds extravagant.

As someone who lives in a country where you can only get low end boots in stock in some rink shops and where they don't normally carry adults sizes. I understand the frustration about not being able to try boots on first. But by doing my homework on the internet and reading different boot manufacturers websites and different internet shops guidelines to boot stiffnesses and skating skills, I have been able to order two pairs of boots (dance and free) and blades to go with, that tally up with the needs I have.

You've established that there are 3 boots from your preferred manufacturer, but your preferred manufacturer will tell you about the different boots much better than we can. It's all personal preference at the end of the day. One person will swear by a particular boot and the next person will hate it for perfectly valid reasons.

The first thing to work out is what you want to be doing with the boot, dance, free, both, synchro, etc.; what level you are skating at, and the standards about weight, height, and whether you are growing still.

Skittl1321
06-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Buying three or four pairs at £250-£350 a pair just to see which suits my needs sounds extravagant.

I live in a state without a pro shop. I did exactly this. I ordered boots 2 at a time and returned them until I finally found the pair I liked. I worked over fax with tracings to a boot fitter who had good idea of what I might like. I ended up trying 4 boots total to find the ones I wanted. They charged my card for them, and I paid return shipping, but they only charged "to me" shipping once. In the end it cost about a quarter as much as the trip to the nearest pro-shop (with hotel room) would have.

The credit card charges were very high, but they were removed before the billing cycle, so I only paid for the boots I kept.

As for the brand you asked about, I've never heard of them, sorry.