View Full Version : What did you do for your Learn to Skate Class Show?

FSWer
05-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Ok...the young skater I talked with at my Rink yesterday inspired me to start THIS topic...What I want to do today is ask ALL of my fellow skaters who did so, to flash -back, and answer this question for today.It is...what did you do (for your performace) for your Learn to Skate Class Show? If you did Ice-Dance..please include if you had a Partner from your class. Also,please include if you did more then 1 Discipline (if you did a Freestyle performance and a Ice-Dance Partnership for ex.). Ok Skaters...GO!!!

Clarice
05-23-2010, 02:27 PM
We're not having a show this year because the rink is under new management. Our last show was at Christmas time, and I was the Wicked Queen in a number about a little girl having a dream about all the Disney princesses. The Wicked Queen and Captain Hook tried to scare the princesses and the little girl, and got chased away by Prince Charming and Peter Pan. It was fun being a villain!

Last summer, our show was called "A Country Jamboree", and I skated an ice dance number with my partner, and a number with the synchro team. In another number, we had one of the coaches dressed up as a skating cow. She managed to spin and do spirals in a big furry cow suit with a giant stuffed head that covered her whole head. It was very funny.

These aren't just Learn to Skate class shows, though. Ours are put on by the figure skating club, but Learn to Skate skaters get to be in group numbers. We'll probably get to do another one next Christmas.

icestalker
05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
The last show was the holiday show, themed "Let's go to the Movies." So my learn to skate class consisted of total beginners and very advanced skaters, and (thankfully) the coaches separated our choreography so us advanced skaters weren't completely bored. It was some song from Annie, I believe..

Anyway the beginners went out first and marched around and split off and did intersections and some other simple stuff. Then the six advanced skaters came out and did jumps and spins and a spiral and such, and then we skated off to join the beginners in a pinwheel. But at least we didn't have to march around dragging the new skaters behind us, wouldn't have been much fun :lol:

The 2008 holiday show.. hmm.. I don't remember it now, I was too worried about doing a lunge, and ended up doing a dip. I had only been skating for a month or so at the time. Funny how I went from "I can't do a lunge for the show!" to "Ugh, a lunge in our program, my OTB tights are guaranteed to rip" in just a year. (They did rip.)

I've been in a summer "Learn-to-skate" camp exhibition, in which I was in-between, I was Basic 6-7 at the time and there was a beginner group and a Freeskate group at the camp, and I got stuck in the beginner one, thus I got stuck doing a swizzle-one foot glide-dip type of exhibition. Hated it. But I also did the Dutch Waltz with a partner :D Did I mention how much I love swing rolls? I can extend my hip allllll the way and not splat on my butt. This year in camp I can do the Canasta Tango, can't wait.

FSWer
05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
The last show was the holiday show, themed "Let's go to the Movies." So my learn to skate class consisted of total beginners and very advanced skaters, and (thankfully) the coaches separated our choreography so us advanced skaters weren't completely bored. It was some song from Annie, I believe..

Anyway the beginners went out first and marched around and split off and did intersections and some other simple stuff. Then the six advanced skaters came out and did jumps and spins and a spiral and such, and then we skated off to join the beginners in a pinwheel. But at least we didn't have to march around dragging the new skaters behind us, wouldn't have been much fun :lol:

The 2008 holiday show.. hmm.. I don't remember it now, I was too worried about doing a lunge, and ended up doing a dip. I had only been skating for a month or so at the time. Funny how I went from "I can't do a lunge for the show!" to "Ugh, a lunge in our program, my OTB tights are guaranteed to rip" in just a year. (They did rip.)

I've been in a summer "Learn-to-skate" camp exhibition, in which I was in-between, I was Basic 6-7 at the time and there was a beginner group and a Freeskate group at the camp, and I got stuck in the beginner one, thus I got stuck doing a swizzle-one foot glide-dip type of exhibition. Hated it. But I also did the Dutch Waltz with a partner :D Did I mention how much I love swing rolls? I can extend my hip allllll the way and not splat on my butt. This year in camp I can do the Canasta Tango, can't wait.

How do you sererate Choreography? BTW. to Clarice,I hope you get back your Shows. Sounds like the Manager isn't planning Shows on the ajenda. Any other skaters for telling me about their Show?

icestalker
05-23-2010, 09:18 PM
How do you sererate Choreography? BTW. to Clarice,I hope you get back your Shows. Sounds like the Manager isn't planning Shows on the ajenda. Any other skaters for telling me about their Show?

We didn't all do the same choreography, the beginners had a separate set of choreography that they did, and then the advanced skaters came out and did their choreography while the beginners waited in a line, the only piece of choreography all the skaters did together was the pinwheel. Which is what I meant by separating choreography, just meant that the skaters had separate moves and such, and skated at different times in the program.

FSWer
05-23-2010, 09:43 PM
We didn't all do the same choreography, the beginners had a separate set of choreography that they did, and then the advanced skaters came out and did their choreography while the beginners waited in a line, the only piece of choreography all the skaters did together was the pinwheel. Which is what I meant by separating choreography, just meant that the skaters had separate moves and such, and skated at different times in the program.

For example?

Audryb
05-24-2010, 06:26 PM
She already gave you examples FSWer... read her original post. She listed what the lower level skaters did and what the higher level skaters did, and then when she answered your first question, she said what they did together.