View Full Version : 2 spinning questions about inline figure skates

Sessy
05-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Yup, finally nailed the 1-foot. My concern is that my weight seems to be much further forward on inlines (snow whites) than the case would be on ice skates, if this was on blades I'd be spinning on my toepicks.

1. Am I imagining it? Is this supposed to be, or is my mounting on the inlines too far back?
2. Won't this mess my spins on ice up?

Thanks in advance. :)

Bill_S
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Like you, I find myself more forward on inlines when I spin. I see toe-stop tracks on the floor. It seems to work though. I posted this short video (http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/pic_spin_09.avi)of a spin on inlines last summer if you want to compare approaches. Note the angle that the skate frame makes with the floor - it's steeply tilted toward the toe stop. I managed a 6 rev spin last week, but couldn't spin at all tonight. Wish I could nail these everytime.

I enter the spin from a RFI 3 turn, then step onto the left foot into the spin (see the video). This seems to work better than the usual back crossovers and stepping forward.

I don't really know if spinning on inlines creates bad habits on the ice, or if it helps. It is just so doggone difficult to spin on inlines anyway.

kayskate
05-21-2010, 10:56 AM
I am a fairly adv ice skating spinner. However, I never got even close to the same results on picskates. Don't know if Snow whites would be different. In fact, i could barely squeak out a couple rotations on my inlines. It just felt very different. Part of that is the friction. I have watched lots of vids of inline FS skaters, some high level. IMO, I have not seen too many who can come close to the speed of an ice spin. I attribute this to friction. Personally, I decided really concentrating on inline spins might confuse my ice technique so I decided to do other skills on inlines instead.

Kay

Pandora
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi Sessy!! :D

I did a whole video on inline/ice skate technique (or at least what I found from doing both). I can spin fairly well on inlines (because I started out as a roller skater.) ;) Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/v/fo9cNDOExdc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo9cNDOExdc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> (http://www.youtube.com/v/fo9cNDOExdc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>)

1. Yes, you are further forward (especially on the BI spins). There is nothing wrong with how the Snow Whites are mounted (I used Snow Whites, too.) It is just how the spin feels on inlines. You are basically spinning on your toe stop and front wheel in the BI spins. (I mention this on the video).

2. When I went back to ice last Fall it took me about 2 weeks to get my ice spins back. Like I mention in the video, there are differences...Because of this I have been leery of trying to do both ice and inlines at the same time.....Not sure if it would work.....Kind of scared to try.....

Sessy
05-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Ohh, we do have roller skaters! :)

Thanks guys, especially Pandora :) (I requested to friend you on youtube and subscribed in case you upload more stuff like that, I hope that's okay?) :lol:
Sounds like it's really worth considering if it's worth it... thanks guys.

Pandora
05-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Sessy,
Thanks!! Yes, I would love to be friends!! :D

This summer I have had foot surgery and need to take ice tests (USFS and ISI) so I won't be using my inlines my this year.......But maybe I will go back to the skatepark next summer and see what happens if I try to do both inlines and ice. :D

Sessy
05-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Hah! Around here, it seems we're edging towards a situation where summer ice is becoming feasibly attainable for, well, not all skaters but at least those who already do most single jumps and some spins if they're willing to dish out a ton of money... This wasn't the case three years ago at all, so at least all those "dancing on ice" and "skating with the stars" shows payed off in that regard (they brought in a lot of people into the skating sport, so it's kinda not become such a forgotten sport anymore, hence the opportunities for ice even in summer and such, before it was only for the elite skaters and even for them not all of summer, forcing them abroad)... I'd love to skate throughout next summer... *swoon* :)

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I know what recovery times are like, meh. :x

MusicSkateFan
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I quit my inline skating with picskates back in 2006. I always found that I had to "force" or "muscle" the spins on picskates. Once I quit the picskates my spins on ice got better but I also am a lot better skater now and went through a major boot/blade change.

I did think pickskates were great for learning toe jumps. I attribute my good lutz and flip jumps to learning them on picskates first....of course I did have a great roller coach who was a National Roller Champ.

I got some NASTY bruises from hitting the floor! You think falling on ice is bad...It's nothing compared to a wood roller floor! OUCH!!!! I always wore knee pads and wrists guards too!

Pandora
05-22-2010, 04:55 PM
(Pandora laughing.) :lol: Yes, the falls on roller are very, very hard because there is no way for the force to dissapate (like on ice where you slide). And, unline ice, you get "wood burn" (or concrete burn) because your skin tends to scrape off on the floor. :cry: Ouch!! Two words.....Bubble. Wrap. :D (Yes, I am serious.) Cut off a square of bubble wrap (small bubbles work best) large enough to cover your entire knee. Tape it there with sports tape (tape the edges to your stocking or skin). Now slide a knee high stocking (nylon) with the toe area cut off (and a slit in the elastic on theh other side so you have good circulation) over the pad to act as a sleeve to help keep it in place. For elbows do the same. These are great pads. They bend easily and will keep you safe!! No more brusies and wood burn. And they are comfortable and bend well. :D This is an old trick from roller. ;) Happy Skating!! :D