View Full Version : What is it like to help out with a Learn to Skate Program?

FSWer
05-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Say,I've asked who DOES help out with a Learn to Skate Program here. Now I'd like to hear from you all who do,what it's actually LIKE to help out with a Learn to Skate Program. What is the day at the Rink like,etc.

drskater
05-18-2010, 11:44 PM
It's fun. 90 % percent of the people are great and interested in their little skater's progress, but the other 10% can turn you homicidal.

FSWer
05-19-2010, 09:35 AM
COOL!!!! Do we have any Skaters here who help out with the Learn to Skate Program? I would especailly love to hear from Skaters.

phoenix
05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
It is fun, but can be exhausting too. You have to be constantly working to keep the kids' attention, and make sure everyone is listening and participating. There are usually one or two who either are too distracted and keep wandering off, or who just don't want to try whatever the class is working on, so you have to get creative sometimes and try to keep everyone working together.

I have about a 3 hour limit of how long I can be in my skates before my feet really start to hurt, so sometimes it can get pretty uncomfortable too depending on how long you're out there. I also wear snow pants if I'm out longer than 3 hours, as my knees start to really ache with cold past that time.

But it is fun too, and I love seeing someone finally start to get a skill and be able to do new things that they couldn't do before.