View Full Version : Freestyle 101?

FSWer
05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
I picked up a flyer at my Rink talking about that Level for Skaters to join. I have never heard of such a Level. Is there anybody here familar with it that can please explain exactly what that Level is and what it consist of? BTW. what would the Canadian equivalent to it be if there is one?

Skittl1321
05-17-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't think it's an official level, but the rink advertising their own course. It's probably for skaters who have never done freestyle before.

101 is usually a reference to the first course in a sequence. (For example, lots of college have "Biology 101" or "Spanish 101") So if Freestyle 101 is popular, they may have Freestyle 102 (or 201... different places use different numbers for the later courses)

FSWer
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't think it's an official level, but the rink advertising their own course. It's probably for skaters who have never done freestyle before.

101 is usually a reference to the first course in a sequence. (For example, lots of college have "Biology 101" or "Spanish 101") So if Freestyle 101 is popular, they may have Freestyle 102 (or 201... different places use different numbers for the later courses)

So basicly..it's Trainiing to BECOME a Freestyler,right? What exactly would you learn at 101? BTW. how did they come up with 101?

blue111moon
05-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Since someone at your rink made up the name and the class, you'd have to ask them what it contains and how they came up with the name.

All we'd be doing is guessing.

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Here is the Newington Ice Arena lesson brochure that mentions "Freestyle 101"
http://differentcreative.com/newington/docs/LTS-BrochureSpringII.doc
(Scroll down to the last page of the document)

ETA: I don't think FSWer has Microsoft Word on his WebTV, so here's the info on the program:

ATTENTION SKATERS!
Want to learn various disciplines of figure skating at a faster pace?
Join us for Freestyle 101!
(Basic 6 & Up)

Monday:
Warm-up 4:45pm, On-Ice 5:00-5:50
Off-Ice 6:00-6:30pm

Saturday:
Warm-up 7:45am, On-Ice 8:00-8:50
Off-Ice 9:00-9:30am

Sunday:
Warm-up 5:15pm, On-Ice 5:30-6:20
Off-Ice 6:30-7:00pm

Rate: $150.00/8 Weeks
Additional Skater: $110.00/8 Weeks

"Freestyle 101" is a group lesson that the NEWINGTON rink is offering for figure skaters. It's a cute name, but it is NOT an "official" class or test level. I believe it's the same class format that many rinks call a "Bridge Program." The LTS program is very focused on passing levels and getting badges. The Bridge program teaches them All About Skating by letting the skaters sample the different disciplines and learn about Freestyle sessions, etc.

Manys rinks have their own version of Bridge and can set their own times, days, etc. The USFSA Bridge programs provide a way to transition Learn-to-Skate students into "official" USFSA testing.

From looking at the brochure, I'd say that (at this rink) the skaters attend these 90-minute group sessions three times per week.
It's an 8-week session, so there are 24 classes in total for $150. That's a good price, in my opinion.

An instructor has them do warm up off-ice first for a few minutes, then the skaters put their skates on.

On the ice, they are divided into groups based on their skating levels. Each group's instructor teaches a different topic each class, which might include:
. Power skating
. Ice Dance
. Artistic Expression
. Jumps
. Spins
. Figures
. Edges/Turns/Footwork
. Moves in the Field

The Newington program also includes a half-hour off-ice lesson AFTER the skating. I'd say the instructor leads the skaters through a cool down and stretching.

I like the format, but the brochure doesn't state what the minimum skaters' test level is required.
I don't think it would benefit a skater below Basic 5 or 6 as much as a Freestyle 1-6 level skater. Just mho.

ETA: Skittl found the test level: the Newington Ice Arena's "Freestyle 101" program is for skaters in Basic 6 or higher.

Skittl1321
05-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I like the format, but the brochure doesn't state what the minimum skaters' test level is required.

The brochure you linked to does say "Basic 6 and Up only"

Good detective work to find the information about the class- I didn't see any of that in the brochure- just the class times. (I'm also not entirely sure it meets 3 times a week, or that you can choose 1 of the 3 times- based on how they presented their LTS class schedule. Of course, for me- it's moot. I don't live near there.)

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
The brochure you linked to does say "Basic 6 and Up only"Well-spotted! I'm not using my desktop computer, so I'm having trouble reading everything on this little laptop screen.

I'm also not entirely sure it meets 3 times a week, or that you can choose 1 of the 3 times- based on how they presented their LTS class schedule. Of course, for me- it's moot. I don't live near there.)

That brochure specifically says that the group LTS skaters can pay for one, two or three lessons per week at different rates.
Since the FS101 page listed only one price for twice as much instructor-led time, I think they're probably using an introductory pay-one-price to attract skaters.

Maybe they just run the on-ice piece as a "learn to skate on a Freestyle" session, without specific instruction? That would make it affordable.

This is the time of year where skaters stop taking lessons. April-June are busy months with school activities and the spring sports. Many people make child care/camp arrangements for the summer that don't include skating. If they can get a skater "hooked" on freestyle, all the better, roflol! That could mean additional enrollments.

Our rink has a Bridge program that's over 2 hours long on Saturday mornings. It's similar: off-ice warmups, clinic-style on-ice lessons, but no apres-skate cooldowns or stretching. Instead, they have a 45-min. open freestyle that the kids waste chatting unless they take a private lesson. Private lessons aren't that productive anyway, because they're so tired from the Bridge activities. *shrugs* Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

My kids' Tae Kwon Do classes are set up in this "academy" style: you pay one price and then attend as many/few as you can make, with no real "makeups" to worry about. It's good if the student really wants to go, bad if you're paying to drag them to class. My kids are "Deputy Black Belts" now, but they have to wait until they are 13 in order to qualify as a full black belt and take the official exam.