View Full Version : 2010-2011 Compulsory Dances

mr7740
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Today USFS announced all of the compulsory dances for next season including all adult levels.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44571

I wonder how they chose the adult solo dances because some levels overlap previous years while others do not.

Bronze: Fiesta, Willow

Silver: European, Rocker

Gold: Blues, Quickstep

phoenix
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks! I'd love to get to do a Quickstep.....maybe I'll get to compete next year----come on, economy!

ETA interesting that Blues came up again so fast.

RachelSk8er
05-05-2010, 07:33 AM
That's good news for gold as far as I'm concerned.

I think gold tends to do whatever the compulsory dances for championship couples dance are. 2010 both events did the Kilian and the West. Except I just pulled up what championship in 09 did and it was the Blues and Silver Samba (while gold solo did Blues and Viennese), so there goes that theory. (Unless they're staying away from internationals for solo, which makes sense.)

Still doesn't explain the Blues twice in 3 years but it's one of my favorite dances and my strongest pre-gold, so I'll take it. I started re-acquainting myself with the Quick last night.

Looks like I'm most likely moving up. I know I will have to work much harder in gold and still won't place as well as I could if I stayed in silver, but I have NOT worked hard at all in silver the past 2 years because I was going back and doing dances I'd already passed a while ago (and especially this year I was angry at myself for that when I didn't skate as well as I wanted or place where I wanted at nationals as a result of my lack of effort). I'd rather be challenged. I know if I spend a year working on the European and Rocker I'll go crazy.

Ultimately it also depends on what my coach thinks, but given that one dance is the Blues, I'm sure he'll be fine with it. I'll give myelf the summer, get my butt back in shape, lose the law school weight (that just makes me look uncomfortable on the ice), and then see how we feel.

If the pre-levels are added for 2011-2012 though, assuming I fit the test cutoffs for that level, will I be able to move down to pre-gold if I move up to gold this year? I don't see why not if I don't test too high, but I don't see me really having time to test this year anyway. It's not like freestyle where having a test means you're that level, period, and your only option is to skate up at some competitions, never down. Here tests overlap. I don't see anything that would have stopped someone with 1 pre-gold from doing gold last year and silver this year.

I'm excited to see senior doing the Finnstep!! I've only ever seen the intro video for it, and the one novice dance team at my rink was doing it for fun (but always wound up tripping and falling all over each other, it was quite hilarious to watch). It's a great dance, and REAL Quickstep, not the gold dance that's not really anything like a ballroom Quickstep.

Skittl1321
05-05-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm excited to see senior doing the Finnstep!! I've only ever seen the intro video for it, and the one novice dance team at my rink was doing it for fun (but always wound up tripping and falling all over each other, it was quite hilarious to watch). It's a great dance, and REAL Quickstep, not the gold dance that's not really anything like a ballroom Quickstep.

The Finnstep is a really cool dance- I cannot wait to see it.

But at the same time, I wonder if we will. They won't be doing it if ISU gets rid of compulsorys.