View Full Version : Blossom or pollen. Lesson/practice thread for May 2010

Mrs Redboots
05-04-2010, 05:44 AM
About time we started a new thread at the beginning of a new month! Pollen being the baddie as it makes so many of us sniffly with hay fever!

I don't normally participate much in these, as I tend to blog my skating, but:

Blossom: Our free dance is very nearly ready for competition.

Pollen: Our couples' spin is a a bit broken....

Isk8NYC
05-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the new thread, Mrs. R.

Blossom: New Skates!!! They fit well and I can sort of maneuver on them. Managed a few simple forward spins and turns, didn't have the time or the courage to really push myself.

Pollen: Skates are a little stiff in the soles. I guess I've become dependent on the cushy padding of my old skates. I can feel how different the support is on these, which isn't a bad thing.

Didn't even ATTEMPT a jump - it wasn't on my lesson plan for students anyway since they're testing this summer. Have to focus on moves.

blue111moon
05-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Blossom: Programs are coming together - at least now I remember all the steps! Canasta is at the point where I can think about expression WHILE I'm doing the steps. :) Rhythm Blues is 90% there; I still have some issues with timing on the down-up step. But I like it more than the Canasta and the Dutch put together.

Pollen: Rink management screwed up the schedule again. A month ago the director handed the club coaches a schedule and swore that it went into effect the first week of May. Coaches scheduled lessons, mine got switched from Thursday to Monday. We showed up on Monday and found that, unbeknowst to the rink manager, HQ had sold the ice to a private hockey coach for the month of May. Hockey coach wasn't there, and as far as the manager knows, has no plans to use that ice - or of paying for it. So we got to skate. But meantime rink's skating director has told all of her people (omitting the club coaches) that the Monday ice doesn't start until Memorial Day (who starts ice on a holiday?) so no one other than club people have planned on that ice. If the hockey coah doesn't use the ice and refuses to pay for it, the rink will probably offer it to some other hockey group (if they can find one) rather than have it "underutilized" by the figure skaters that were promised it.

We don't know what will happen next week. I may not have lesson time, since my coach is already booked on all the remaining available ice time.

This crap never happened before the management company took over.

Plus they've raised walk-on rate again so that it now costs more per minute to skate on their 40 minute sessions than it does to skate on the club's 55 minute ones.

dance2sk8
05-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Been awhile since I've posted:

Blossom: Pancake spin, broken leg spin, camel spin entrance, and scratch are become more and more refined! Back spin is much more consistent. Waltz, salchow - have a lot more height and distance on the ice. Loop, loop, loop! I'm putting that into my program, I never see anyone do that combo. :twisted: Also now have a combination spin! Camel into a broken leg! Woot! Got my Mohawks down with speed as well! Working with my moves coach has been SOO beneficial. Even my cross overs look great!

Pollen: Flip and lutz. :( Why can't I get these dumb jumps and stay consistent! Oh, I know why, because I am an edge jumper!

RachelSk8er
05-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Loop, loop, loop! I'm putting that into my program, I never see anyone do that combo. :twisted:

You can't do a loop loop loop in your FS program. Well, you can, but you won't get credit for it. You can only repeat a jump once in your program and it has to be in combination. Hence why you've never seen anyone do it. (Even a loop-loop uses up both of your loops. A lot of people prefer to split their loops up and do one on its own and one in combo, or as part of two different combos.)

You can do it in interp since there are no rules on jumps (other than no axel or above).

2 yrs ago at ANs a girl in one of the open masters events did a sweeeet double loop-double loop-double loop and got 0 credit for it.

PinkLaces
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Pollen Had the ice show this weekend so only one day of practice last week. It showed when I went to practice today. Spins are all a little off. Lost the inches I'd gained in my sit spin. Camel only had 2 revs instead of the 3-4 I'd been getting. Loop jump was a bit off too. Started working on Silver Moves 2 weeks ago. Back 3 turns and outside mohawks. The arms get all messed up and I do a lot of grinding to a halt on the back 3's. But today....

Blossom I felt like I made some progress on the mohawks. Practiced the 1st 4 counts. The right mohawk is much improved and the left one is getting better. Had an empty rink in the a.m. so I practiced the back 3 turns on 2 feet to get more comfortable with them. Now I can all of them except 1 to get through the turn before stopping. The LBO 3 I can get an actual 3 turn. It's small, but I can do it. Yay!

I was somewhat distracted, because DD was in the jump harness the last 20 mins. of the session with jump coach. She has been working on the axel for over a year now. She does great in the harness...high and beautiful...the coach is barely holding the rope. When she gets out...not so good. Tonight, the coach had her in and out of the harness. Out of the harness, she would land them and then immediately fall. Her main coach, her dance coach, & I were all watching the last few minutes holding our breath. She didn't land any, but all 3 coaches were very excited for her. If you have a spare minute to send up some good positive axel vibes for my DD, I'd appreciate it. She is picking up an extra lesson with jump coach today.

Isk8NYC
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Blossom: I can do brackets and three turns on my new skates. It's easier to find the turn spot on the back of the blade now. Managed two or three simple forward spins.

Managed a few waltz jumps. Toe loop entry (didn't jump) felt fine.

Pollen: backspins are awful. Back crossovers are fine, but I can't stop when I'm going backwards without using my toepicks or the wall. Scary!

Isk8NYC
05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Managed to get in a short practice after I finished teaching this evening. It's just like old times, changing skates after each session, lol. (Old to new)

Old skates are in bad shape - something's wacky with the blades I had mounted. It's probably just that they were badly sharpened ages ago and I'm not used to them, but I'm going to check for straightness. They're really just for backup purposes, but I'll try to keep them usable, just in case.

New skates are good - I'm getting a rub spot at the top edges, but since the boot's cut lower, it's no big deal. My pinkie toes are rubbing a bit, but I might not have tied the skates well.

Blossom: Did two backspins that weren't too bad. Forward spins were dead on - centered and controlled. Even managed a scratch spin.

Pollen: Did a two-footed landing on a loop, but the entrance and takeoff was great! Tried a few toe loops, but chickened out. Have to work on back brackets; it's been so long since I was able to do them, I think I've forgotten how.

RachelSk8er
05-05-2010, 08:37 AM
My FS skates are still being fixed, but I managed to pick up a session last night and worked on dance/moves in my old skates (which are now pretty much just my dance skates).

Blossom:
Re-acquainted myself with the Quickstep. My pattern is so off and oddly shaped it's not even funny, mainly because of the end pattern. Choctaw got much better by the end of the session.

Worked a bit on moves, trying to get over the fear of the rocker-power pull pattern I seem to have developed. Just worked on the turns in isolation down the blue line. Normal rocker pattern wasn't bad. These moves are so much easier in my old skates :( Hopefully once I get the new skates back, they'll be better.

Pollen:

Now that my feet are used to new boots with arch support and a slightly higher heel, they really start to hurt in my old skates after about 20 minutes. Need to look into innersole solutions to get these skates by until I can buy some new dance skates/blades.

Kim to the Max
05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I've been doing nothing but eating, breathing, living Junior moves for the past 2 weeks trying to get them ready to test yet again on May 15th. Power pulls are MUCH better, but today Operation: Outside Rockers begins. I will still work on the other stuff, but the focus moves from drilling the weak side power pulls to the outside rockers.

I need to pass this test because 1) I've spent a lot of money the last few months trying to get this test passed. 2) I really don't want to have to do the new patterns for Junior. 3) It's the day after my birthday and that would be a horrible birthday present.

What sucks is that the building that I am currently living in is having the water shut off on Monday, May 17th, which means that I am getting moved either the 14th, 15th, or 16th...stress that I do not need right now...we just found out this morning the day we were moving. Ugh. But! Only positive thinking!! If I get my butt in gear, I can be done packing by next week Wednesday and then I don't have to worry about it. :)

tazsk8s
05-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Blossom: Most stuff is going really well these days. MITF - my coach really liked my back edges this week. Proclaimed them better than the forward ones - go figure. Largely because I tend to toepush on the forward inside ones.

Good jump and spin week. Lutz is back for now, and I even had a few close encounters with the axel. I land on one foot pretty routinely, but very underrotated most of the time. I did manage one that was rotated, on one foot, and then splat. The off-ice torture is definitely helping here. Not sure what I am going to do about that for the summer...all of the classes are during my work hours, and I'm just not disciplined enough to work out regularly or effectively on my own.

Pollen: Got majorly busted for toepushing on the forward crossovers in the pre-pre stroking. And had to practice them clockwise in my lesson. Ick.

dance2sk8
05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
You can't do a loop loop loop in your FS program. Well, you can, but you won't get credit for it. You can only repeat a jump once in your program and it has to be in combination. Hence why you've never seen anyone do it. (Even a loop-loop uses up both of your loops. A lot of people prefer to split their loops up and do one on its own and one in combo, or as part of two different combos.)

You can do it in interp since there are no rules on jumps (other than no axel or above).

2 yrs ago at ANs a girl in one of the open masters events did a sweeeet double loop-double loop-double loop and got 0 credit for it.

Well that's just plain stupid in my opinion. If adults can do a triple combination, why not allow them?

Isk8NYC
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
It's called a three-jump combination, not a triple combination. Unless, I guess, if you're doing only triple jumps, hmmm....

The two-use/same jump is referred to as the "Zayak rule."

From Frogsonice:

9] What is the "Zayak Rule"?
This refers to the rule that disallows skaters from repeating the same triple or quadruple jump over and over in their free skating program. Skaters can only repeat two triple or quadruple jumps, only if at least one of the attempts at each repeated jump is in a jump combination or sequence, and no triple or quadruple jump may be attempted more than twice.

Note that this rule does not, by itself, put an absolute limit on the number of triple jumps allowed in a program. That limit is now enforced by the restrictions on the number of elements that were adopted with the Code of Points.

This rule is associated with Elaine Zayak, who for a time was including up to four triple toe loops in her competitive programs, but it was actually a more general trend in the early 1980's for skaters to pack their programs with repeated jumps. The rules were changed to reward skaters with a greater variety of skills.

Zayak wasn't the only skater to tack on an extra triple toe loop whenever possible, but the name stuck.

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml

RachelSk8er
05-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Well that's just plain stupid in my opinion. If adults can do a triple combination, why not allow them?

It's called a three-jump combination, not a triple combination. Unless, I guess, if you're doing only triple jumps, hmmm....

This reminds me of when I was a kid in junior club and would keep doing loop after loop, went to school and told everyone I did triple loops, because that's what I thought a triple was. I thought I was so cool.

We repeated jumps like crazy when I was younger. I remember competing pre-pre/prelim and pretty much only doing flips and lutzes, and I tacked a loop onto the end of just about every jump to make it a combo. I don't ever remember doing toe loops or salcows in my competition programs.

doubletoe
05-05-2010, 05:53 PM

3-jump combinations are allowed; you just aren't allowed to do the same jump more than twice in any program (it gets too repetitive and doesn't show that you can do the other jumps). Why not work on a flip-loop-loop or lutz-loop-loop? Either of those 3-jump combinations would be allowed in competition and would be considered more impressive than a loop-loop-loop. :)

Isk8NYC
05-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Wore my new skates with the lambswool pads to cushion the upper edges.
Worked fine - soles still feel really stiff; I think it's the insole padding. My old skates were really cushioned.

Blossom: I have my fan kick/back double three, on one foot at least. Twizzles on the right foot were decent; chickened out on the left. Spirals were nice - these boots are lighter than my old ones.

Pollen: Back spins are wobbly, but I think some back edge work (also wobbly) will help resolve some of that problem. Inside threes on the left are strange - I have to set them up just right before I attempt them.

liz_on_ice
05-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Pollen - family all got sick with contagious stomach-awfuls, had to take care of them over the weekend, didn't get to skate. Also didn't get to shop for replacement wrist guards.

Lesson today was mixed - I didn't feel secure without that second guard and was nervous, also feeling a bit tired and under prepped.

Blossom - spins are still improving, also worked on loops. I was very cautious without that left wrist guard, but I did a few and got the corrections so I can work on them in practice - and hey, I did land them even if they were wimpy!

techskater
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
3-jump combinations are allowed; you just aren't allowed to do the same jump more than twice in any program (it gets too repetitive and doesn't show that you can do the other jumps). Why not work on a flip-loop-loop or lutz-loop-loop? Either of those 3-jump combinations would be allowed in competition and would be considered more impressive than a loop-loop-loop. :)

aka it's not a well balanced program! ;)

dance2sk8
05-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Good call! I will work on that for sure!

RachelSk8er
05-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Blossom:

Had my first lesson ever on the Quickstep today!!!! (I taught myself steps to all the dances years ago but have never had a lesson on anything above the pre-golds since that's what I'm working on test-wise). We actually made a TON of progress just in the 20 minutes we spent on it. Still needs a lot of work, but it's a solid start.

Also first lesson on the Blues in at least a year and a half, if not closer to 2 years. Went well, just have to dust the rust off, although overall the dance has gotten stronger by not working on it much. Especially the choctaw.

It was so fun/refreshing to be working on newer dances again (and not going back and doing ones I passed and was competing).

Looks like I'm doing gold solo next year, my coach is all for it. We're still sticking with the original plan of seeing how summer/fall go, though.

Skittl1321
05-07-2010, 09:17 AM
The two-use/same jump is referred to as the "Zayak rule."

I thought the Zayak rule only applied to triple jumps- so how would it affect single jumps? (The USFS rulebook does say "jumps can only be repeated once" in the adult section, but I don't think it's really the same rule) (ETA: The rulebook also says "A double Axel cannot be included more than three times in total during a singles free
skate." so I think the Zayak rule does only apply to triples, if they added a clause for double axels.)

(For example: I thought that senior skater could do say 2 triple toe loops, but then tack a double toe onto a combo, because it's not the same as the triple toe.)

Debbie S
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I thought the Zayak rule only applied to triple jumps- so how would it affect single jumps? (The USFS rulebook does say "jumps can only be repeated once" in the adult section, but I don't think it's really the same rule) (ETA: The rulebook also says "A double Axel cannot be included more than three times in total during a singles free
skate." so I think the Zayak rule does only apply to triples, if they added a clause for double axels.)True, the rule that restricts adult skaters from not repeating a specific jump (single or double) more than once (and must be in combo) is not the Zayak rule - it went into effect when IJS was adopted. It effects all the standard track levels, too, even the lower levels. I think the idea was to infuse IJS principles into the WBP to get people in that mindset when they do start competing under IJS. I think it's a good rule - I remember seeing adult skaters do every combo with a loop or loop-loop tacked on to the end. It gets tedious - this forces skaters to do all of the jumps and vary their combos.

There is a proposal for the upcoming ISU Council to limit skaters to 2 double axels in a program.

(For example: I thought that senior skater could do say 2 triple toe loops, but then tack a double toe onto a combo, because it's not the same as the triple toe.)Yes, as long as there are not more than 2 double toes in the program, the computer will count it. From the Olys results, I believe jumps of different revs are counted separately - I'm pretty sure some male skaters (Takahashi? Plushenko?) did 4toe and then 2 3toes at some point in the program. I think as long as the jump is coded differently in the computer, it counts as a different jump.

drskater
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Blossoms: Had an hour worth of lessons this week and really worked hard. My coach had me do several flip and lutz exercises and what do you know these jumps improved dramatically! After nearly 6 weeks of screwing up the flip it was great to finally land two good ones. I’m getting some height on the lutz, though they’re not clean and still two-footed. Practiced Bronze moves and I must confess I much prefer these to the PB moves. I love the feeling of moving fast across the ice (with the pointed exception of the right-side power threes, I’m still too timid on the push to the outside three from back x-overs). Really got serious about the Figure 8 and I certainly understand why people who did figures were better skaters (I did these a child but I don’t think much is carrying over into adulthood.). The control of the entire body and the nuances of positioning the blade in a precise pattern really makes you aware of your movement. Still, I can’t see myself perfecting this for quite some time. Had a fun time at a local competition—met some awesome fellow adult skaters (yes, it’s true adults are so much nicer). I won my event, though it was hardly a mistake-free skate.

Pollen: A-choo! I’m frustrated by my inconsistent sit-spin—some days I can do a semi-decent one and other days it disappears completely. I really want to get this because I enjoy doing it, but also because I can’t even enter a PB event without it (or so it seems). I feel like it is taking me forever to move myself up to the advanced beginner / Bronze stage. Part of my frustration stems from a feeling of doom as I grow older (early 40s) and that my window of opportunity to learn is narrow. I feel that I have to work five times as hard as the younger folk to do even half as well. No wonder adult learners have problems with confidence.

Skate@Delaware
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Blossom: went up to Skate Club of Wilmington for a sharpening. Then skated for almost 2 sessions (almost because I missed the first of one and left before the 2nd was over).

LANDED MY FLIP ON ONE FOOT!!!! Of course, could NOT duplicate, but I'm happy!

Ran through some of my moves: waltz-8, 3-turn pattern (ugh) and stroking. Did some crossovers which felt weird on sharp blades (haha no skidding). But the 3-turn pattern felt so much better.

Pollen: fell on one flip-right onto my knee, which is NOT padded. It's ok, just unsettled me. I'm still tentative going CW on crossovers AND going on the left-side of the 3-turn pattern. Almost wobbled, but it was ok other than that.

It was very nice being able to skate on uncluttered ice! With adults! Yay! Not sure if I'm going skating at my club in the morning, depends on how I feel. I'm trying to cram more skating in over the next few weeks, maybe daily if I can since I test on June 6th.

jazzpants
05-07-2010, 04:10 PM
HOORAY for the flip, S@D!!! YAAAAAY!!! :bow:

Pollen: Physically feeling drained this week.

Blossom: So my secondary coach "wants to do cardio" again and wants to race around the rink AGAIN!!! :roll: I really wasn't feeling well this week... but well enough to skate... and I basically said "Do I REALLY have a choice here?" :roll: She said "Mmmmm... NO! :twisted: "

So off I go. Went two laps and I beat her!!! She was 8O. Then she said "Either I'm really out of shape, or <Jazzpants> here was REALLY going faster here!!! What did you DO this time?" My answer was "Ummmm...I did that homework assignment you gave me two weeks ago? :halo: " She did NOT get eyewitnesses on this, so unfortunately for me she has to find someone to watch us do the two laps AGAIN!!! :frus::giveup:

Blossom: And yes, I beat her again!!! The eyewitness (a fellow skater) told her that "Yup! She was faster that last time and it's NOT her imagination!!!" The eyewitness also told her that she has noticed that I have been progressively FASTER the last few months actually!!! :lol:

Pollen: Of course, as I have learned from work, the "reward" for good work is MORE WORK!!! 8O In this case, it was back crossover drills. This is where I'm a bit weak at on speed, so I have to work on this one on my own so that the next time she races me doing back crossovers that I can get around, but I am hopeful I will get this one so I can beat my secondary coach on this one too!!! LOL!!!

Her parting shot at our lesson was "I'm pissed now (Seriously, she's not!!! She was :lol: when she said this and she was beaming with pride!) and I'm determined to beat you next time." LOL!!! :twisted: :lol:

Blossom: NoVa Sk8r showed at at the FS session after mine and I stayed a bit after my session to skate with him for about 10 minutes or so before I really had to leave and get ready for work. I wish I could have stayed so I can pick up some of his spinning tricks, since I've been trying (on and off) to get a couple of his mushroom sit spins for fun...

(See NoVa? If you showed up earlier, you would have gotten a good comedy show with your skate!!! :P :lol: )

flying~camel
05-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Blossom:

I took my Silver moves test this morning and passed by all 3 judges! I put my foot down TWICE on the RFI-LBO 3turns (my weakest set) and had to reskate them but they were clean on the 2nd try.

The judges were really great - they were all on the edge of their seats for my reskate and got all excited when it was clean. :)

I am SO GLAD to have this test DONE! Now, on to power circles and brackets!

I also get to start training my freestyle program again! I'm staying Bronze for 1 more season in an effort to get back into shape (the last time I skated a freestyle program was AN 08!) and then I'm planning on taking my Silver freestyle test next summer.

Pollen:

I have to wait until Tuesday to skate again... boo!

drskater
05-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Huge congratulations! It's so nice when all that hard work pays off. Hope you give yourself a special treat in celebration!

liz_on_ice
05-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Blossom:

I took my Silver moves test this morning and passed by all 3 judges!

Whoooohooooooooo! :bow::bow::bow:

Debbie S
05-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Congratulations, flying camel! :bow:

It feel great to never have to do that 8-step again, doesn't it? ;)

flying~camel
05-08-2010, 03:47 PM
It feel great to never have to do that 8-step again, doesn't it? ;)

LOL, I'm probably one of the few people that actually LIKES the 8-step! I'm more happy that I can put the 3's in the field away for a while!

I am planning on taking Pre-Juv & Juv moves at some point (after I get Gold out of the way), so I will have to revisit them but, for now, I'm happy to work on something else!

Skate@Delaware
05-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Congrats on passing your test, flying~camel!!!

Ivana27
05-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm usually a lurker, but I thought I'd join in ....

Blossom: I passed the Pre-Juvenile moves test on April 30th...it was my fourth attempt. :roll: I'm happy to be done with that. Now on to Juvenile! I had a lesson with my coach on Juv moves. I was already familiar with a couple of the moves. The lesson went well, and I definitely think I will be able to pass this test before Sept. 1st.

Pollen: My car was totaled in an accident. I am able to get to an ice rink by public transportation, but not to the rink where I take my private lessons. :frus: So private lessons will be irregular until I am able to replace the car.

Blossom: Just recently began working a freestyle program for the preliminary test. First program in almost 8 years!

Pollen: Can I say how much I hate the sit spin??? I have been trying to learn this spin for years....and I just seem to be stuck....and I need it for the preliminary fs test.

xtenshix
05-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Blossom: Im in Basic 5, BUT my instructor said she's going to test me out of Basic 6 because she said I'm better than most of the others! :D WOOT! The test is next Monday. If I can do a shoot the duck, she'll automatically pass me! Got to work on it!:)

Pollen: Im trying to stay in a straight line on my spirals. gotta keep working on it. My clockwise BXO transition to FXO to BXO is not going well. I need to get to a rink so I can practice(my current rink doesnt have monday night public anymore).

blue111moon
05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Pretty much all blossoms yesterday. :) Since rink management finally decided that having a few people on the ice is better than none, our Monday sessions are back on. But because most everyone made other arrangements when the sessions were off the calendar, there aren't that many people there - two coaches and half-a dozen skaters. I even had the ice to myself for a bit at the start because people still aren't clear what time the session actually is.

Anyway, the canasta is probably as good as it's going to get, the rhythm blues is becoming consistent enough that Coach can get picky about things like hand position and toe point, and the two programs are actually falling in with the music. The interp earned giggles from the kids who hadn't seen it before, and one of them actually recognized what I'm doing, which is fantastic without even the costume to give it away.

Only pollen is that I have little to no stamina and am wheezing like a racehorse at the end of the Kentucky Derby after every effort. It's tough to get old. :(

Skate@Delaware
05-11-2010, 08:45 AM
this is for last night:
Blossom: Moves run-thru went pretty well. Landed my flip a few more times-one-footed! Waltz-8 was actually even on both sides, altho my timing was off a bit. 3-turn pattern was actually better on my bad side (?) and improved overall (haha a skate sharpening helped-I wasn't skidding).

I actually did some very decent backspins-left free leg out a smidge then spun into it...for me it helps if I leave my arms out a tad longer before bringing them in-got more speed.

Pollen: still have to work harder on the moves:
-extend & point toe on stroking
-point toe when bringing foot over on crossovers
-push behind on crossovers (really get that push)
-get off the toepick on back crossovers
-hold the count & be on-tempo for waltz-8 & 3-turn pattern

and, get more height on the flip!

Scratch spins were crap-4 revolutions and traveled about 3-5 feet 8O.

jazzpants
05-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Blossom:

My BIG work project is done and I have a small break (about 3 weeks) to recover... so I'm catching up for lost (ice) time!!! :twisted:

Pollen:
Back 3's SUCK!!! So what's new... :roll: :evil: :frus:

Back cross strokes could be better. It was not as good as my last lesson with primary coach. Speaking of the :twisted:, I was passing right by him standing in the middle length wise but at the wall, probably coaching another lesson. As I was passing him, I hear the words "hold the glide longer" and I knew it wasn't intended for the student he was coaching at the moment.

Gotta love practicing while your coach(es) is/are there. They keep 'ya honest!!! :halo: :P :lol:

Blossom:
I did what he told me and the rest of the back cross strokes were better! :P :lol: (Thanks, coach!!!)

I must be dreaming, since it's very early in the morning for me and I'm probably sleep skating again, but I think I just got some practice FO mohawks too!!! BOTH feet/directions!!! 8O

Isk8NYC
05-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Blossom: Jumped a few times today - waltz jumps are high and not too bad. Loop entry feels good, but I limited myself to falling leaf jumps. Moves were okay, backspins are pretty good, just a little scratchy. Forward spins aren't too bad, but I can't stay off the toe on the camel.

Pollen:
I'm slipping on the flipping flip toe-in. Not sure if the actual toe-in or if I'm leaning on the LBI entry edge.

Sit spins were recognizable, but very, very high. Still, I can do them and come up into a scratch spin, so my balance is better.

LFI threes are really crummy - I'm on the wall doing them, but I can do RFI brackets. Go figure.

I "heared a noise" on CW back crossovers - the left foot is grinding as I draw across, which is not normal for me. Asked another coach to listen and she thinks it's the toe pick dragging. Stiff, new skates are frustrating.

My arches are killing me in these skates. They really hurt after I skate and I feel like all my weight is towards the heel of the skate.

jazzpants
05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Pollen: My rink was closed early this morning... of ALL THINGS... because of a BOMB THREAT!!! *sigh*

Blossom: Luckily it was pretty much just a scare, since I haven't see anything on Google or the local news website, so the rink was reopened again in the afternoon.

And just as ironic, I was deciding Monday night whether to go skating either Tuesday or today. I choose Tuesday, so I would have a break in between to rest for my lesson on Thursday!!!

For Tuesday:

Pollen:

Back cross strokes are REGRESSING again!!! My primary coach managed to say "Finish the curve on your back strokes" as I was going right passed him. (No, I was not in a lesson with him... but you know how coaches have eyes on the back of their heads and all...) It got better later on.

Back 3's... still no good...

Blossom:

I could be sleep skating and my body is playing tricks on me, but I think I have the beginnings of FO mohawks!!! 8O Did about a million of those while holding on to the wall first... then still near the wall, but not holding the wall. Now I'm actually doing them w/o the wall... 8O

drskater
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Pollen: My rink was closed early this morning... of ALL THINGS... because of a BOMB THREAT!!! *sigh*

OMG!!! Should we laugh or cry?!

GoSveta
05-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Blossom: I FINALLY got my skate mount right :halo:, with the help of Skating Orthotics and a lot of millimiter-sized adjustments (and about 20 round trips between the rink and the pro shop...) Thank You to the rink manager for allowing me leave and re-enter without repaying.

There was one creepy woman who kept trying to sell me skates, though. I didn't wanna go to that rink but we couldn't find any parking at the other rink. 90 degrees outside... I'm not walking 3 city blocks with a skate bag :giveup: She was like the Freddy Kruger of car saleswomen, except she was selling skates.

I can skate more than 20 minutes without feeling like I'd rather opt for amputation, now :P

Pollen: Backward CW Crossovers? What are those? I've totally lost them. Gonna have to spend like 20 [ice] hours getting that fixed now :frus:.

Skate@Delaware
05-14-2010, 09:20 AM
This is for yesterday:
Blossom: went to public session and not only were there only 5 people on the ice, they had the "disco lights" on AND the ice cut was BEAUTIFUL!!!! it was soooo smooth! Chuck also let me on 15 minutes early.

Ran through all my moves for the test, it took about 13 minutes. Then worked on some crossover drills (evil power circles). Actually went ok, did several runs of the CW direction using the metronome track. Then tried a program run-through of last year's program....in which I fell going into a spin. I caught an edge and went down hard. It hurt.

Worked on some jumps, which were ok.

Pollen: my edge jumps were not so good as I felt uneven, I probably knocked something out of whack when I fell (haha) even backspinning was bad. I iced my hip when I settled for the night and this morning I hurt so bad! I should have taken a tylenol or something in addition but I didn't. Taking it easy today-I know when to back off. I'll skate again in the morning for freestyle or wait until Sunday and hit public with the hubby (he said he wants to skate again, probably jealous of my new pair skating relationship). I will also do some yoga tonight to stretch out and realign my body. That should do it.

Debbie S
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Ouch, Skate@D! I hope you don't have too much bruising/swelling. When/where are you testing?

It has taken 6 mos, but I finally have something to post in this thread! I went skating last night for the first time since breaking my leg on Nov 7. I only skated for about 30 minutes - the first 25 or so with my coach and then I stayed on for a bit longer. It was so weird getting on the ice - it felt like my feet didn't know what to do. My coach held my hand as we stroked around (actually, first, I practiced stopping, at my request, b/c a month or so after the break I'd had this dream where I went back and had forgotten how to stop and slammed into the wall - but no problems last night, lol). She had me do 2-foot slaloms and then pumps with alternating feet. We also did a little skating/swizzle pumping on a circle (since I can't do crossovers yet b/c my left foot has to stay flat for at least few more weeks) and forward edges (very shallow on my left, lol).

It's kind of depressing, thinking about where I was (working on Gold Moves) and how far I have to go to get back to that, but I'm glad to be on the ice again. :)

Isk8NYC
05-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Congratulations and welcome back!

jazzpants
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
OMG!!! Should we laugh or cry?!Not sure how to take it either... :?? But I have all sorts of imaginative ways for all the coaches who losts lesson revenues b/c of the bomb scare to ummm.... punish the perpetrators... :twisted:

Debbie S: HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!!! Welcome back on the ice!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Pollen:
We (secondary coach and I) worked on the 8 step mohawk... well the steps after the FO mohawks since I obviously am still working on FO mohawks!!! :frus: Smart move on her part... I don't have much going on there either. (All the stuff that I worked on with primary coach kinda went out of my head since I was sleep-skating... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/d010.gif ) Can't seemed to do steps 7 and 8 right and we spend the rest of the lesson fixing that.

Blossom:
No cardio session this week!!! :lol: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Skittl1321
05-14-2010, 02:10 PM
BLossom I actually skated! I did a lesson on Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango. Really great extension makes my hip hurt, but I can be okay with just good extension. I need to get the "dance skater" mind a bit better (extending behind me instead of away from myself- to me that feels like toe pushing, even though I'm NOT toe pushing.) I do think it cracks me up when my coach tells me "you're a freestyle skater, now you need to think like a dancer", because I don't think anyone would really classify me as a freestyle skater either.

But I'm happy to be on the ice again. We'll see how long it lasts.

Pollen Can only skate 30 minutes before it's too much pain on my hips.
Did Silver Moves a bit, but they'll have too wait- too much pressure on the knees. Can't do Bronze free because I still can't jump. Can't test preliminary dances (due to $$ I want to test them all at the same time) because I can't do step behinds (and I think the fall on them started this whole hip injury). I hate having no goal.

jazzpants
05-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I hate having no goal.But you DO have a goal... to HEAL, do whatever PT is necessary and to skate with no PAIN so you can get back to those things you've been working on!!! ;)

Skittl1321
05-14-2010, 02:43 PM
But you DO have a goal... to HEAL, do whatever PT is necessary and to skate with no PAIN so you can get back to those things you've been working on!!! ;)

yeah- and that goal gets me to the PT office.

There isn't much motivation to get on the ice. I'm not working towards anything- I am the kind of person who needs the next test or the next competition to work towards

dreamnmusic
05-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Blossoms: My skating has been improving a lot! I'm working on more stuff and everything is much smoother!

Pollen: In contrary to things on whole being smoother, lol, I took a nasty fall and now have a sprained wrist. :frus:

toepix
05-16-2010, 07:37 AM

:lol: were you there at the time? My rink was closed due to an actual (minor) fire a few months back and my first instinct was must.protect.blades + to grab my guards!

Blossoms: Spirals! Positions are getting much better and my change-edge and change-position are a little more consistent. Also finally got around to getting a coach - I'd taught myself to toe loop previously - and he was pleasantly surprised by my skating, considering ;) It's only taken a week to clean up basic skills, and get back onto jumps/spins. Or would, except...

Pollen: I pulled my right hamstring quite badly. I'm not sure how - I think cumulatively after a physically very stressful week - but have been off the ice for a week now :frus:

Kim to the Max
05-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Failed junior moves yet again yesterday. One of the coaches who is pretty good and picking out passing vs. not tests, said he thought I had it and it was the best he had seen me skate that test. I am so unsure of what the judges want right now...

jazzpants
05-16-2010, 12:45 PM
:lol: were you there at the time? My rink was closed due to an actual (minor) fire a few months back and my first instinct was must.protect.blades + to grab my guards!Thankfully, no!!! And it's very ironic I took that particular day off since I had originally planned on being there that day. I decided to rest that particular day and sleep in... I only knew about it an hour after the police had evacuated everyone and all of them decided to post it on their FB status. I was GLAD to be sleeping in that morning, lemme tell 'ya... (Would have been PISSED if I showed up to find out that I could go in to skate. I need all the ice time I can get... :P )

Failed junior moves yet again yesterday. One of the coaches who is pretty good and picking out passing vs. not tests, said he thought I had it and it was the best he had seen me skate that test. I am so unsure of what the judges want right now...Sorry to hear about it, Kim. :( Have you consider having your coach arrange for some sort of critique with at least one of the judges to see what's going on? :??

drskater
05-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Failed junior moves yet again yesterday. One of the coaches who is pretty good and picking out passing vs. not tests, said he thought I had it and it was the best he had seen me skate that test. I am so unsure of what the judges want right now...

Oh, I'm sorry, it must be so disappointing. It must be frustrating too, especially since it looks like you drew a hardass panel. When you pass it next time, be sure to do a vengeful version of the "superior dance" (Church Lady from SNL) with them in mind!

drskater
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Blossom: Coach was in a manic mood this week and decided it was time to teach me some new things. I am now working on a camel spin (mainly the proper entry and position, I can only rotate twice, sheesh)! My flips were much better this week, I did some okay loops, a few waltz-loops, a few better than okay sit spins, and some really fast and centered scratch spins. Bronze Moves are going well. The Mohawk sequence is not near passable but my slide chasse is much improved on both sides.

It’s time for dance lessons. After the obligatory rant about “crap” solo dance tests, new-fangled free dances, the end of civilization without compulsory dance and so on, my traditionalist coach got me started with some really fun exercises. I was doing some chasses across the ice while she bellowed, “one, two, three, one two, three, NO!!!!! one, two, three, NO!!!” Got threatened with the whip for non-pointed toes and unextended legs, which made the grudging comment “at least we don’t have issues with not bending your knees” a lovely compliment.

Pollen. It’s the season for rink schedule changes and closures. It’s going to be difficult to skate more than three times a week all summer.

AgnesNitt
05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Blossom: Can do Back crossovers both ways--see post "What good are backcrossovers"
Pollen: CCW BXC puts a lot of stress on my bum ankle.

Pollen: Coach decided my off-side blade-=oops sorry, horse reference==my left blade needs to be moved in as it's keeping me from doing 3 turns on my left outside edge.
Blossom: For once I am living the skater's dream==It's not my fault! It's the blade's fault! At last! :lol:

Skate@Delaware
05-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Kim to the Max, sorry to hear. Maybe next time will be the charm!

Blossom: went skating today (public) with hubby (i had to rush after work but got there in plenty of time to change). We worked on: edges, 3-turns, crossovers. I am a harsh taskmaster and push hard. Away from the boards. for an encore, I started him on a waltz-jump (actually the glide-hop over the line). He did very well!

I worked on some of my moves-in-the-field stuff (pre-bronze) cause it wasn't too crowded. And some jumps.

Pollen: I've regressed in my sit-spin progress. Not sure what has happened with that. I need desperate help with that. Ugh-very ugly! My backspin disappeared, and my scratch spin was very much gone (4 revolutions and traveled about 5 feet. Sheesh!)

But I had a good time!

Isk8NYC
05-17-2010, 07:30 AM
So sorry, Kim. Lots of people have been echoing the same "What are the judges looking for? What do they want?" It's even more frustrating to get a retest for one written reason, then be told on the next attempt that something else was wrong, but the original cause was great. :roll:

You must be very frustrated.

xtenshix
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Blossom: my instructor tested me out of basic 6 and i passed!!(i was in basic 5):D woot! so this is the secind time i've passed 2 levels for half the price.^_^
Pollen: argh, personally, i dont think i did well on the test. i tripped everywhere, at times i was going to fast, i FELL:frus:. my 1 foot spin in still HORRIBLE and my CW BXO still feel bad and sound bad. I still look like a bad beginner, tripping over my own feet.:giveup: Anyway, I'm taking a break for the summer. I cant afford to move up right now to basic 7. so im going to practce when i can during the summer so i can retain what i've learned. basic 7 stuff looks pretty dificult, so i wan to make sure i have basic 3 - 6 stuff down pat before i continue. hopefully i'll have the money to go to basic 7 by say, september or october.

Skate@Delaware
05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
This is for last night:
Blossom: worked on moves....over and over again! Actually, they were pretty good. Hit back inside edges, 3-turn pattern and crossovers.

Major improvement in crossovers, thanks to doing the power circles.

Pollen: still need to work on EXTENSION on crossovers, which is a major freakout for me...it's push-extend slightly behind-crossover all QUICKLY which builds speed to a major freak level....so my homework....do them over and over again on my bad side.

Back crossovers on my bad side-why can't I bring my feet together like I do on my good side? :frus:

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 10:03 AM
i want to make sure i have basic 3 - 6 stuff down pat before i continue. hopefully i'll have the money to go to basic 7 by say, september or october.You get a gold star for planning ahead and setting a goal!

Blossom:
Everytime I step on the ice, I feel like I'm wearing someone else's skates. When do they start to feel "right?" Grrr... Wanted to get to Coffee Club today, but it's not happening, thanks to other committments. sigh

Pollen:
One of my students was hurt during a synchro class after our lesson. Nice bump on the head, a little bit dizzy, and she was teary. Fortunately, all my lifeguard first aid skills are still valid, even though the little cards are expired.

Butterflies: My DDs passed their first dance test this weekend, the Canasta Tango. They did a good job wearing too-small skates, hahaha.
We started making plans for the Dutch Waltz and Rhythm Blues tests, but first, we get them new skates.

icestalker
05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Blossom: Finally managed a half decent backspin and finally, FINALLY, managed to jump a salchow instead of gliding backward forever and refusing to jump.

Pollen: My coach now has ammunition against me- "You did a salchow, you can do this (insert jump or spin here)!" 8O
Oh, and being deeply in debt from buying much needed new skates, soakers, gel sleeves after the new skates decided to eat my ankles, and new blades. At least I got my mom to pay for the waterproofing and sharpening..

liz_on_ice
05-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Pollen - conflict with lesson last week, this week coach is sick.

Blossom - practiced on what would have been my lesson session, BI edges improved, so did forward bauer threes. Worked BI three turns, which I'd been scared of, and warmed them up a bit.

Skate@Delaware
05-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Blossom: skating today at public session (50 minutes) went well. Concentrated on CW crossovers and 3-turns, mostly on my bad side.

Pollen: word of advice-don't skate after a hard workout....your legs will be jello! Altho there were 3 hours between workout & skating, maybe I need to stretch it further next time!

Still having a hard time getting the extension on the crossovers. :frus:When I finally DO get it, I accellerate faster than I'm comfortable, my timing is off and I can't get enough crossovers into the circle before I'm onto the next circle :frus:

---frustrated---

Hopefully, can hit the freestyle tomorrow am (8:20 am session) and get 'r done!

CrossedBlades
05-22-2010, 12:39 PM
If I'd known how much pollen was going to show up for today's lesson, I'd've taken some allergy meds before I left the house...

Pollen: Scratch spin still won't spin, half flip doesn't jump, and edges were of questionable quality. Pretty sure I'm going to be a long-term resident of FS1.

Blossom: Did some beautiful three-turns (we'll just pretend like they weren't supposed to be spin entries...). Dance seems to be paying off in the stroking, at least.

Tomorrow's another day - I'll just keep plugging along ;)

AgnesNitt
05-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Intro I went to see my skate tech to get my new blades adjusted according to coach's orders.My only brush with skating fame is that my skate tech has done skates for national, world, and olympic champions. He says the same thing every time he sees me "You doing axels yet?" Anyway, I went out on the ice and after a look see of me doing one foot glides, he adjusted my right blade rinkside while I was wearing the boot (I felt like a horse getting shoed so I whinnied, nobody ever laughs when I do this, I don't know why, it's a good joke.:cry:) But the left blade had to be removed, have the blade completely reset inwards AND have shims.

Blossom
I've been falling off my blades in 3 turns, so bad that I couldn't do them without being held up by coach.
After the adjustment, 8Oin the very next lesson8O I was doing alternating 3 turns down the line.
AMAZING!!!8O All of a sudden things that had been hard are so easy! :D

Pollen I've been working so hard on back crossovers while compensating for the bad blade adjustment, that I fell on clockwise BXO on the new blades.

Skate@Delaware
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Blossom: skated two sessions today...which was more than I normally do but I am building up the stamina. Skated through my moves which I can do in ten minutes. Actually had a clear path for them!

Ran through ALL my moves, jumps, and spins, then did some back 3's. Did the figure 8 pattern (planning ahead) which I can do but not sure if it's passable. Will work on bronze moves over the summer. I'd like to test bronze asap (ahem, assuming I pass pre-bronze on the 6th).

Pollen: Spins. Seems to me, the better I get at jumping, the worse I get at spinning. Either that, or the stronger my body gets....maybe I need to adjust my blade alignment on my spinning boot (just as I had to for my backspin foot which worked out wonderfully). Just a thought.

Bill_S
05-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Blossom: I made the trek to Columbus to skate a public session at the Dispatch Ice Haus. It's the first time I've been on the ice since late March.

The session was mostly empty. Several families came and went during the 2-1/2 hours that I spent skating. I don't know how the rink can keep the doors open with such light attendance.

I ran through my favorite moves getting back into the ice, and they came back quickly. I expected to feel awkward for a while, but at this point in my skating experience, it doesn't take that long to feel comfortable again (hurray!). I ran through double threes on the Gold test (FO to BI are my weakest), did some forward brackets, the back three to inside chasse pattern from Gold, and a whole lot of just messing around.

I tried spins, and while I've been doing them on inlines (with perhaps different technique), I nailed the first one I tried. I got a dozen revs out of the second one. I was pleased. Now if I can keep the traveling down a little more!

I left the ice very tired and sweaty. I always take a change of clothes and a wash cloth with me when I travel to skate so I can feel comfortable on the long trip back home.

I'm very content tonight.

AgnesNitt
05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Two hours on the ice including a one hour lesson.
The first half hour of the lesson I was doing back crossovers both ways. I still look like a horse counting (stole that description, but boy is it accurate :D)
The second half of the lesson was 3 turns. Outsides are reasonable. Insides are sloooowly coming along.
I did about 5 min on outside 8s. They used to look like this (pretend the circle is stretched out in a straight line:
========================================

Now they look like this:
==========----------------------========-----------====

Progress!;)