View Full Version : I have a very silly question about skating attire

dreamnmusic
04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Hello, I just joined your fine forum here. I started skating, oh... Two months ago now I guess. Anyways, as I've started practicing more and for longer periods of time and harder sessions, I've noticed that I get quite warm on the ice. So, I stopped wearing the silly long sleeved shirt under my sweatshirt and switched the sleeveless shirt I have under a sweatshirt and I'm still getting warm. I think the problem is actually my pants. I think they're too thick, and I forgot that I warm up quickly.

So! I'm trying to come up with a new set of attire to wear. Since my pants are just very warm and its getting very uncomfortable. I was considering leggings, since they are thinner, but I personally refuse to wear just leggings without something else because... Well because I'm me actually. :D So I was considering using this skating skirt I've acquired over the leggings.

Here is the silly part, and where it obvious I'm self conscious. I'm a very low level skater... I just started backward crossovers. Will I look... For lack of a better term, over dressed? Is there some other combination of clothing I might try? I considered using a different sweatshirt but I really think my pants are the cause of my problem :??

This is all very silly, but any advice would be appreciated. :)

katz in boots
04-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Not a silly question at all ! Welcome to the board.
Fashions/acceptable skate wear seems to vary according to the rink you skate at, how cold it is, the sessions you skate at, your age, your standard.

At some rinks it is only the littlies who wear tights & skirts or dresses, at other rinks, it's the norm to wear a wrap skirt over leggings.

Personally, I wear a thin moisture-wicking t-shirt over a pair of light to medium weight pants that are not as close fitting as leggings nor as loose as yoga pants. I wear a track jacket to warm up in colder weather, and that's it. I'd never wear a sweartshirt, for sure.

flo
04-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Wear what you makes you comfortable. Leggings and a skirt are fine. Also, a longer top can also work. My partner and I have matching tops for event practices, and when I can't find one in a woman's, I get a men's small. Target is good for the Champion tops and I also buy my leggings there in the kids department for $6.

drskater
04-18-2010, 10:48 AM
I agree--that's a smart & appropriate question, not at all silly. Wear attire that makes you feel comfortable. Stretch pants, leggings, skating skirts -- these allow freedom of movement and are part of the culture. Heavy sweatpants and otherwise bulky items will probably make you feel cumbersome. I prefer skating skirts mainly because, ahem, after all my spills the tights dry off fast without getting cold. Don't worry about what other skaters may think; just do what you need to do as you embark on your skating adventures (unless you wear, say, a neon-lime green pantsuit with racing stripes -- that would be hysterical).

Virtualsk8r
04-18-2010, 11:00 AM
If your plan is to continue in the sport for a while - invest in a pair of Lululemon wunder under run tights (snug all the way to ankles and not belled at the bottom like regular Lululemon pants)--or check out the Body Armor line of running/hockey type gear for a pair of their long, snug run tights.

Nike, New Balance etc. all have similar running pants made of stretch material that breathes. Get full-length pants that can pull over the top laces of your skates for a slimming line!

Pants run between $50-100 a pair and last forever.

For those of a certain - um - jiggle shall we say? Wear a pair of leotards underneath, preferably the ones with some spandex.

Beginners always look good and serious when they dress sport-appropriately. Warm layers, breathable fabrics and snug clothing so the coaches can see your lines. Black is best because it looks great on the ice.

SkatEn
04-18-2010, 12:05 PM
If your plan is to continue in the sport for a while - invest in a pair of Lululemon wunder under run tights (snug all the way to ankles and not belled at the bottom like regular Lululemon pants)--or check out the Body Armor line of running/hockey type gear for a pair of their long, snug run tights.
Pants run between $50-100 a pair and last forever.
Beginners always look good and serious when they dress sport-appropriately. Warm layers, breathable fabrics and snug clothing so the coaches can see your lines. Black is best because it looks great on the ice.

I suggest Under Armour (was Body Amor a typo?) ColdGear line. I wear Frosty Tights. It has ankle grippers so I pull it over the top of my skates (not over the back of the heel). I think that Tornado line is not bad too, though I haven't tried it. The Coldgear line keeps me really warm and the best part is that I don't feel that I am wearing anything!:P

I don't really agree that pants last forever, but pants do last very very long...! My frosty tights have some holes from the skates hooks, from slicing myself, from wear and tear... And I know my friends' ChloeNoel/Seku do have holes from jumps or spins or falls. Please try not to get a loose fitting one. You may just hook your blade onto it, and make a big hole in your pants, or make a big fall!!! You'll find that though, it's hard to find any skater whose pants are completely hole-less.

Layer, layer, layer... depending on the temperature of your rink. Take it off as you warm up!

RachelSk8er
04-18-2010, 12:09 PM
I swear by the athletic apparel section at Target. I either wear spandex Champion running pants/capris over one pair of footed tights, or a running/tennis skort over 2 pair of tights (one footed, one footless pulled over the top of my skates). That seems to keep me warm enough on the bottom but it's not too hot for most rinks I skate at. The stuff is cheap too, I think the most I've paid is $29 for a pair of pants, and they last a long time.

Mrs Redboots
04-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Little skirt over leggings is absolutely fine, and, I think, sends a message that you're serious about learning to skate!

Virtualsk8r
04-18-2010, 01:48 PM
:lol: Under Armor - sorry! (some skaters DO need body armor!!!)

I forgot about Seku and Chloe Noel. Some of my beginner skaters look so polished in their Chloe Noel pants and jackets. Plus I like the style with the stripe around one leg -- instead of right foot I can say 'striped leg'

Skating attire has changed drastically over the years. At some rinks, you never see skaters in dresses or skirts any more.....they all wear black leggings and sports tops or body suits, sometimes with leg warmers. At other rinks, everyone wears a dress or skirt.

Dress for comfort - but try to fit in by wearing whatever is 'normal' for your rink. Better to stand out once you have a few tricks to show.

falen
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I wear Shape FX bootcut leggings from newport-news. com
If you are older they hold you in really well. The bootleg look more like pants ( not like the look-at-every-curve leggings) and they are way cheaper than regular skating pants.

flo
04-18-2010, 10:28 PM
"(unless you wear, say, a neon-lime green pantsuit with racing stripes -- that would be hysterical)."

Too funny! One of my favorite unitards is a neon green and black one. It's made for body surfing, or surfbording or something.

Ellyn
04-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I usually wear leggings under athletic shorts, and a long-sleeved shirt, or sometimes t-shirt in the summer in warmer rinks.

Sometimes a sweatshirt for the first few minutes, or longer if I'm just working on edges at a slow pace. If I'm working on power moves or freestyle, it would come off very soon.

teresa
04-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Wearing skating clothes was a process for me. Like you, I felt uncomfortable dressing the part. I could still take or leave wearing tights. I've learned it makes my coaches job easier and nobody else really cares. They wear tights too. =-) I would suggest dressing in layers. Jackets and vests can be layered when cold and taken off when warm. I wear more tights in the winter, 2 or 3, and strip down to 1 in the summer. Experiment and figure out what works for you. What you feel comfortable in today can change in a year or two. Look to your skating peers for helpful ideas.

Teresa

slusher
04-20-2010, 10:39 AM
There is nothing wrong with wearing a skirt over leggings or thin pants. Several of the adults I skate with, who normally wear pants, will put on a wrap skirt overtop pants as it gets closer to competition time, to get used to the flow of a skirt. I keep a black mesh one that stuffs into a ball in my skating bag exactly for that purpose.

Skittl1321
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Switching from track pants to leggings took a long time for me. Once I started my backspin, I made the switch- my blade caught my pants, and I nearly pulled them off before I told myself I'd just have to fall to get my blade "uncaught".

I wear under armour frosty tights in the winter, but they are way too warm for the summer. Then I just wear cotton leggings. They get wet when I fall, but it's warm, so it doesn't matter.

I liked to wear skirts when I skated with a coach who had all his kids wear skirts, but now i'm on a session that is 99% leggings, so a skirt feels odd.

Swizzler
04-21-2010, 11:18 PM
My basic outfit consists of Se_ku pants (I love the Long & Leggie style and the bootcut style), a t-shirt and a Lululemon jacket or my team jacket. I have tried a LOT of skating pants (and faux skating pants), and Se_ku are the best! They fit great, are good quality and last forever!

londonicechamp
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi

Well, for me, my skating attire is t-shirt, padded shorts, tracksuit bottom (they are loose and easy for movement) and a jumper.

londonicechamp

TreSk8sAZ
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
My standard practice outfit is:

Se_ku long and leggie leggings with tights underneath (or Bal-togs black leggings). These are actually pants, not the kind with the gusset showing which are more like thick tights.
t-shirt or tank top
Depending on the weather:
Fleece jacket; and/or
Sweatshirt; and/or
Regular sweater/long sleeve shirt; and/or
Mesh-type long sleeve shirt.

Anything above the t-shirt or tank top usually comes off by the end of the session, unless it's super cold, and even then I'm usually down to a t-shirt and long sleeved shirt.

If it's really warm or if a competition/test is coming up, I may wear a skirt or practice dress. But that's really more for the younger kids at my rink than it is the skaters.

Isk8NYC
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Practice wear:

Narrow-legged sweats or leggings under lightweight ski pants.
(The latter for bad knee days - the warmth really helps.)

T-shirt under a turtleneck. Sometimes I top it with a sweater, other times a jacket.

By wearing layers, I can add or remove a layer if I get cold or warm.

I've never competed in a sleeveless outfit - it's just too chilling for me.
Long sleeves rule!

caffn8me
04-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Wear what you feel comfortable in that doesn't restrict your movement. You don't need to wear a short skirt - one that is knee length with plenty of room at the bottom hem would work perfectly well too over leggings. A skirt that stops you moving your knees isn't a good idea.

While you might look a bit overdressed if you had a sparkly short skating dress on with death wellies (rental skates) I doubt you're aiming for that sort of a look!

I think that to some people if you just have your own skates they expect you to be able to do triple axels! Don't worry about that.

Good luck with your skating,

Sarah

Kat12
04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
I dress in layers. I know I'll start out chilly and warm up, so over my usual attire I put a pair of those warmup track pants with the snaps down the side (easy removal without removing skates) and a zip-up fleece jacket. As I get warmer, it's a matter of a few seconds in the hockey box to take off the stuff, and I'm back on the ice.

I don't see anything wrong with a skirt over leggings. I wouldn't recommend sparkly or cutesy (fluffy "young" looking skirts are probably out, for example), but plain black or whatever color matches your leggings in an a-line style (like an a-line tennis skirt or wrap skirt) would be fine. At the group I used to dance with, I wore bike shorts for practice but also a tennis skirt over the top--I was much older than most of the other dancers, and our group also consisted of a pipe band that was about 95% men (many of them old enough to be my dad), plus we practiced in a local park in summer, so I felt a bit weird wearing tight-butt shorts, y'know? I would think anyone would understand that.

Skate@Delaware
04-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Practice wear:

Narrow-legged sweats or leggings under lightweight ski pants.
(The latter for bad knee days - the warmth really helps.)

T-shirt under a turtleneck. Sometimes I top it with a sweater, other times a jacket.

By wearing layers, I can add or remove a layer if I get cold or warm.

I've never competed in a sleeveless outfit - it's just too chilling for me.
Long sleeves rule!
Long sleeves also hide a multitude of jiggle!!! I hate my upper arms!

I wear under armour cold gear tights (actually 2 layers of them cause they are all stretched out they are so old), sometimes if its really cold I wear stretch polarfleece leggings that I made (that pull down over the heel of my boot)

camisole top, t-shirt, long sleeved t-shirt, sweater, under armour jacket and sometimes a headband over my ears. Gloves.

I get cold, my rink is cold. Loving a cold sport sometimes sucks ;).