View Full Version : How do Skaters get reconized to help their coach with the Learn to Skate Program?

FSWer
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok...we all know that,YES...we would expect a skater helping their coach with the Learn to Skate Program to know more then the skater there teaching or helping....but...I've always wondered though...how DID those Skaters get CHOSEN to DO that? I mean...did the Skaters just go to their coach and ask if they CAN help? Did the coach just walk up to them one day and ask if they WANTED to help?....HOW do Skaters get chosen to help with a Learn to Skate Program? For those here who do just THAT....help YOUR coach with the Learn to Skate Program...please include how you YOURSELF were chosen...as well as how long you've been helping,and how old you were when you first started to help.

phoenix
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
At my rink, any kids who are interested in helping/teaching the LTS classes are required to take the PSA Apprenticeship Program, which involves class time and a certain number of hours observing/helping a coach. After they have completed the course and are at least 16, they can teach in the LTS program.

I was an adult when I started teaching and I got started because a friend of mine was teaching an ice dance class & it was getting so large he needed a helper, so he asked me to help.

So I was a helper for about 3 years before I started teaching my own classes.

Skate@Delaware
04-09-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm an adult in my 40's so my answer might be different. I was asked because I was available during the daytime for the Parent & Tot time.

However, now (we had management change) to be a helper you must be at least 16 years of age and be approved. This requires a certain skating level (one USFS test passed). You must also be mentored, and pass a background check.

sk8ergalgal
04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Well the rules in Canada to be able to help out with the CanSkate program are different. Ideally we are looking for helpers who are at least 10 years of age and have passed their preliminary freeskate (which is up to a flip jump). Everyone is required to attend a training session at least once a year. Each skating club is different though. I started when I was 9 years old and a parent on my club's board of directors came to me asking if I would be able to help and if I wanted to help. These days though it seems to be the coach in charge of the CanSkate program that asks the skaters. Also we allow high school students to come out and help if they pass a basic skating test and need the volunteer time. I should clear up the fact at these are completely volunteer jobs and we are not paid for our time spent teaching. We mainly assist with the delivery of the program.