View Full Version : Ice blind

black
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
We use our eyes to balance more than we realize. Have you ever tried to do a move and it didn't work out because you couldn't see the ice properly? Examples include; very white ice, wet ice, perfectly smooth ice & bad lighting. I know I struggle with the Camel/Parallel spin sometimes because I can't judge the distance. Anybody else get ice blind?

RachelSk8er
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
We use our eyes to balance more than we realize. Have you ever tried to do a move and it didn't work out because you couldn't see the ice properly? Examples include; very white ice, wet ice, perfectly smooth ice & bad lighting. I know I struggle with the Camel/Parallel spin sometimes because I can't judge the distance. Anybody else get ice blind?

Not really, but skating in the dark generally freaks me out. I hate doing shows where the lights are out and we skate in spotlights. Especially if the boards are taken down. And sometimes when I get to the rink in the mornings the main lights aren't on, just the corner sets. It's not too bad, you can see fine and they let people skate like that if it's not crowded and some of the first wave of early morning skaters like it that way. I don't mind it for dance or moves, but I don't like jumping/spinning with the main lights out (for whatever reason), so usually when I get on the ice I turn them on (if one of the coaches or someone else hasn't already).

Sessy
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I can't skate without my glasses for that reason (I've got a pretty strong prescription, strong enough for lenses not to be an option). I also used to have this issue with the flip for the longest time, I could *only* do it on a red line for some reason.

dbny
04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
My coach occasionally has me do something with eyes closed. I hate it!

Skittl1321
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
My coach occasionally has me do something with eyes closed. I hate it!

I'd much prefer eyes closed to when my coach makes me jump with my hands behind my back. That's terrifying. I tend to close my eyes in spins anyway, so jumping isn't so bad (albeit really really small) when they are closed.

sk8joyful
04-06-2010, 05:16 PM
We use our eyes to balance more than we realize.
Have you ever tried to do a move and it didn't work out because you couldn't see the ice properly?
Examples include; very white ice, wet ice, perfectly smooth ice & bad lighting. Anybody else get ice blind?

How can you get ice-blind on "white ice, wet ice, & perfectly smooth ice"?

However, have you any idea what it's like for a brand-new beginner, to have one eye judge the ice to be about 2 feet :?? below your nose, while through the other eye, you seem to be suspended from the roof! 8O. And cranking that up a notch more, have them change unpredictably 8O, and then just go back to normal... how freaky that was for me, when I 1st. started. - And then the lights are turned down :!: Horrified, I was noticably physically shaking... Bet you're glad you never skate like that!

Fortunately, the cause being healed, plus learning incrementally what my body feels like, especially my feet, & more recently over my skates, I got to the point of actually likeing the lights turned down, as then (rather than skating via eyes) I can focus more on the FEEL. - I can hardly wait, until I can skate looking UP most of the time, as that will do wonders for my posture... 8-)

I WISH we could have classes for people with physical-challenges, so we can progress, a bit faster! ;)

luckykid
04-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I get ice blind just skating around. I can't see people when I'm skating around.. or I just drift off into a dream, I don't know. But I always cannot see whether there are people in front of me or around me and by the time I see them, I always make a very sharp turn away.

Skittl1321
04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I WISH we could have classes for people with physical-challenges, so we can progress, a bit faster! ;)

Have you asked? I've heard of multiple rinks that do programs for people with needs that are different from the general population. Usually a higher teacher to student ratio (which sometimes means it could be more expensive, sometimes not)

Or why not work with a private instructor who can focus solely on what you need?

Skate@Delaware
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I have a hard time skating with the lights down (especially with a spotlight in the shows, that is fairly common). I can't skate without my glasses, I lose depth perception and that's dangerous.

My rink has no one that is trained to deal with persons with physical handicaps, however, a physical therapist can help. I say physical therapist rather than sports therapist because in my state you don't need any certification to call yourself a sports therapist. After my injury, surgery, and recovery, my physical therapist watched skating on tv and then we went over the movements I would be going through later on the ice.

An experienced coach should be able to help you with any issues you might be having. My coach was wonderful with me-she gave me exercises to do on and off the ice when I returned. You might only need to hire for a short time and maybe twice a month would work if money is the issue-then you work hard in between.

dreamnmusic
04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I've never heard of this specifically but I am relatively new to the sport, so. I have a lot of vision problems (legally blind) and am having a few issues in group lessons. For one the instructor doesn't have time to really show me what I'm supposed to be doing in a way I understand. She'll demonstrate a move but I can't see all of her at once so she has to do it a few times for me to get it, and sometimes I still don't get it.

My biggest problem is that there are a lot of people on the ice during group lessons *lol* I have to look at the ground when I'm skating because my visual field doesn't cover where the kids are and I'm afraid of running them over. I don't have depth perception either so I get a bit nervous when people seem to be "too close" and sometimes I'll hesitate before doing something which usually ends with my toe pick in the ice and me on the ground.

Needless to say I'm switching to private coaching because this is just silly! I can't even practice skating backwards because I get so nervous about running into people and again my visual field doesn't stretch that far. 8-)

Skittl1321
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I have to look at the ground when I'm skating because my visual field doesn't cover where the kids are and I'm afraid of running them over.

I don't have vision issues (well, they are corrected...) but I feel this way sometimes too. Especially now that my coach has instisted upon "chin up" I feel like I can't see other skaters- so she watches for me, and we're agreed that I don't feel safe practicing that outside of lessons.

I've found on really crowded high level freestyle sessions I need to wear contacts instead of glasses, because the little bit of peripherial vision difference is a big deal when a pairs team comes barring down the rink. On the lower level sessions, no one moves fast enough that it matters.