View Full Version : arch support

xgskate
04-03-2010, 12:40 AM
One of my problems with backward cross over is that my feet sore become sore in very very short time. It also depends on how tight I lace the skates. If it is tight, I feel sore sooner and feel so even when I skate forward. If I put skates on loose, then I have a hard time balance on it. I realized lately that it might be an arch support issue when I connected it to hurting my toes trying too hard to hold myself in place inside ski boots using my toes. My arch is very flat.

May I have some opinions about it so that I can make better decision about what to do next?

I am going to have to get another pair of skates soon. but if I cannot solve this issue, then I will skate with pain for another few years.

Thank you!

Kat12
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Where does it hurt? My arches always got sore when I started learning back crossovers, and I realized it was because I was clenching my toes--I think because I was trying to "pull" myself backward or something, lol. Also probably just nervous tension at learning something new and probably being afraid I'd fall. After I got better at them, it stopped.

How long has this been going on? Can you try relaxing your feet when you're doing them? It'll take some conscious effort at first. I have flat arches too, but my toe curling had nothing to do with that. Is it that you feel like you need to curl your toes to keep your boots from sliding or something?

xgskate
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
the sole of foot hurts. It has been going on for long long time. I was clenching my toes when I ski to hold my feet in place in the boots. I think when I clench toes, I am creating an arch with toes. This is how I relate it to my flat arch. I feel it hard to skate on balls of feet. The length of my boot is actually proper, but just don't feel the pressure at the right place.

mr.small
04-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Have you tried taping your arches?

Skate@Delaware
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
If you have flat feet you may not need arch support in your skates. You should find out exactly how flat your feet are and have the correct type of insole put into your skates (can be done at the Good Feet store). My daughter has very flat feet and skates with no insole except for a very thin piece of foam (and sometimes she takes that out). She used to complain about her arches all the time as well. If it still bothers you a visit to the orthopedist or podiatrist might be in order before any permanent damage is done (there are a lot of nerves and bones that can shift in the foot).

xgskate
04-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Havn't tried taping.

Googled a bit. The inside of the inner walls of my boots are definitely worn off quite a bit. Together with other things, I am pretty sure I am over pronated. Will check a good feet store then and maybe see a doc about it. I had a lot of trouble maintaining stable long inside edge after fo3. I guess the over pronation causes me to fall to the inside.

Thank you, guys.

Query
04-06-2010, 06:26 PM
If you are clenching your toes, I bet the skates are too loose, and you are trying to prevent them from moving around.

If you want to change the fit yourself, see my page below.