View Full Version : Who was the first skater ever to have Off-Ice-Trainning in their routine?

FSWer
03-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Say,we've been talking a lot about Off-Ice-Trainning lately....and we know a lot of skaters do it. But...do we know of any record in History that tells us..EXACTLY when...and WHO the first skater(s) in History was to ever do Off-Ice-Trainning,and make it a reg. part of their routine?

Clarice
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't think we can answer that question. But I do know that Sonja Henie studied ballet - she took dance lessons before she started skating, and continued her study of dance specifically to help her skating. We know this because her brother says so in a book about her that he helped to write. She was born in 1912, began dancing when she was about 2, and skating when she was 5.

techskater
03-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Dorothy Hamill talks about her off ice regimen in her autobiography as well - she stationary biked and then had issues with her jumps.

EdgeMan
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Talking about ballet...Mao Asada is a great ballerina!

kayskate
04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Historically, I don't know, but I imagine just about all skaters have had dance lessons and do some kind of cardio. I think most skaters jog, at least for a warm up. Pairs train all of their lifts off ice first. Don't know when this started, but it must have a long history.

Kay

FSWer
04-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Historically, I don't know, but I imagine just about all skaters have had dance lessons and do some kind of cardio. I think most skaters jog, at least for a warm up. Pairs train all of their lifts off ice first. Don't know when this started, but it must have a long history.

Kay

Kay has more of the idea to what I'm talking about. Does anyone know the answer?

Mrs Redboots
04-03-2010, 09:57 AM
In the children's books White Boots, written in the late 1940s or early 1950s, the skaters all expect to do ballet and fencing as part of their off-ice training.

Isk8NYC
04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Let's go with Jackson Haines in the 1860's because he was a trained ballet dancer who started figure skating.