View Full Version : Buying new skates dilemma

phoenix
03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I need new skates & had asked my pro shop to order a pair of SP Teris for me to try on, since they didn't have anything in stock in my size. That was quite awhile ago--they've been ordered but haven't arrived yet. To reiterate, I haven't ordered them to buy, just to try on to see if they fit my feet (of course the intent is to buy them if they fit).

I'm currently in Klingbeils, but want to try on the SP Teris to see if they'll fit me, so I won't have to go the custom route this time. I also was considering Jacksons, but have heard of heel slipping problems from several people.

SO--today I get an email announcing a 50% off sale at everythingice (http://www.everythingice.ca). They don't carry SPTeris but they do have the Jacksons. They're $300, which would save me about $150! So--if they fit me all right, I really should do this--I've been saving for months & money is hugely tight right now for me.

BUT--I haven't been measured for Jacksons, and I haven't tried any on......

How horrible of me would it be to go to my pro shop, explain the situation, and ask for their help w/ sizing and/or trying on of Jacksons? I mean, that's an awful lot of money to flush down the drain if this would work out all right fit-wise.

My other question is people's experience w/ Jacksons & heel slippage.....I'd be in the dance boot.

Thanks for your advice!

phoenix
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Well, cancel all that--the online store doesn't have them in stock so the sale price wouldn't apply.

Sigh--guess I'm stuck w/ the higher cost regardless!

Skittl1321
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I think it's okay of you to go to the pro-shop and explain the situation. If they don't want to help you, that seems to be their right, but if you buy other stuff there regularly it might not be worth losing the customer. And perhaps pick something up like a new dress, or a pair of stinkeez after they finish the fitting. You could even offer to pay a fitting fee.

Heck- if you can manage the guilt (I know I'd feel it...) don't explain the situation... just remember, if you don't pay for the services you recieved, the services might not be available in the future... (There is no pro-shop around here- the area can't seem to support one)

Isk8NYC
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
How horrible of me would it be to go to my pro shop, explain the situation, and ask for their help w/ sizing and/or trying on of Jacksons? I mean, that's an awful lot of money to flush down the drain if this would work out all right fit-wise.Try this approach: go into the pro shop, explain about the price (incl. shipping) and emphasize what a bargain this is for you. Have a printout with you to show them the savings.

Then, offer to PAY them for their time in sizing you for skates. Ask if you can try on a pair if they have them in stock. You might find that the heel slippage is an issue for you, so a $10-20 investment up front could save you tons of time, money and aggravation.

If the skates fit okay, the pro shop might offer to match the price somehow.

Isk8NYC
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Well, cancel all that--the online store doesn't have them in stock so the sale price wouldn't apply.

Sigh--guess I'm stuck w/ the higher cost regardless!
Oh, that's too bad. Sorry you missed out. Call and ask - maybe they have some in stock on sale that aren't on the website?

renatele
03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
My other question is people's experience w/ Jacksons & heel slippage.....I'd be in the dance boot.

although you've posted that the boot in your size is not in stock, I just wanted to comment on the above - I asked my fitter recently about this heel slippage in Jacksons, and he said that the company is aware of the problem, and it should be fixed in the boots that are coming out now. Basically, he said that the back of the boot tends to open up after awhile, and according to him, Jackson will be (or already is?) making the heels narrower.

NCSkater02
03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
What if you asked the pro shop if they could meet the online price? It's worth a shot and the worst they can do is say no.

GoSveta
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
At a pro-shop (at least the ones I've used) the price of the fitting is included in the price of the boots, the same way they do the first sharpening and the mounting for free (again, at the ones I've used).

You shouldn't have any issues getting a fitter to fit you for whatever type of skate he carries/can order in for a small fee. Usually something like $25-35.

Just go to a Pro-Shop and tell them you want to get fitted for those types of skates. They'll be able to do it for you (most likely).

After you're fitted, buy the boots on line and have the fitter/skate tech put it all together for you (you will have to pay for that as well).

TBH, getting them fitted, mounted, sharpened, and probably heat molded, punched, etc... You'll wipe out much of the savings unless you're getting a rather expensive boot at a deep discount. Pro Shops do give you a lot when you order through them.