View Full Version : Is there a skater out there that can explain these moves to me?

FSWer
03-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Say, I picked up a add for a Synchro. Team at my Rink, and saw these moves listed,and not familar with them.Are there any skaters here that can please explain to me what these Skating moves are,and what they look like? The first one is a Bauer, the next one I've heard of. But don't know what it looks like. A Spread Eagle.the next one is a Rocker,and the last one is a Counter. Can anyone explain those to me? BTW. are they all known world-wide in other countries. As far as being called those? Thanks.

Clarice
03-28-2010, 07:47 AM
The easiest way to explain an Ina Bauer or a Spread Eagle would be to show you a picture. Unfortunately, I have a new computer and haven't figured out how to add links to this message yet. I hope somebody else will link to some pictures for you. Meanwhile, you could try searching for those moves on Wikipedia. They have pictures with the articles.

A Spread Eagle is a move where the skater glides sideways with their feet spread apart and their toes pointing in opposite directions. It can be done on either the inside or outside edges. Usually you start by gliding foward on the foot that's going in the direction you want to go, then turn sideways and place the other foot where it belongs. Brian Boitano was one skater that was known for his spread eagles.

An Ina Bauer was named after the skater who made the move famous. The feet are pointed in opposite directions like the spread eagle, but the front leg is bent at the knee like a lunge. These can be done with both feet on inside edges, or with the front foot on an outside edge and the back foot on an inside edge. Ladies often lay back with their upper bodies while doing Ina Bauers. Shizuka Arakawa was known for her layback Ina Bauer.

Counters and rockers are kinds of turns. They are based on three turns and brackets. A three turn is a turn on one foot that turns into the circle and changes edge. A bracket turns out of the circle and changes edge. Counters and rockers do not change edge - you go from inside to inside or outside to outside. The rocker starts like a three turn by turning into the circle, while the counter starts like a bracket by turning out of the circle. Again, the easiest way to explain it would be to draw you a picture of the tracing the blade makes on the ice, but I don't know how to link to it. Search for Rocker Turn or Counter Turn in Wikipedia, and they'll show you a drawing. Maybe someone else can post the links.

techskater
03-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Spread Eagles and Bauers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeW488t4io

3:57 she starts the first rocker move in the field (outers)
5:06 she starts the second rocker move in the field (inners)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-P2Dt2QnE

3:19 she starts the first counter move in the field (outers)
4:14 she starts the second counter move in the field (inners)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvPEZa-cfk&feature=related

Isk8NYC
03-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Click on the pictures to start the videos for the Bauer and Spreadeagle.

Ina Bauer:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_g_bauer.htm

Spreadeagle:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_g_spreadeagle.htm

Illustrations of one-foot Turns (including Counters and Rockers):
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_turns_1_foot.htm
(no video, sorry)

drskater
03-28-2010, 11:09 AM
In addition to the excellent explanations and links posted above, I’d like to add that all of these turns involve solid upper body control. Beginners tend to overthink what they’re doing with their feet, but it’s really the shoulders and arms that “turn” the turn. Equally important is the “check” following the turn because it stops the rotation.

For a lucky group of skaters, Bauers and Spread Eagles (especially outside edge ones) come naturally. This is because these glides depend on open hips. People with open hips can do these elements well even as beginners and they are lovely components in any program. For those of us (me!) with closed hips, Bauers and Spread Eagles are an exercise in frustration. Hope you belong to the former group and not the latter!

FSWer
03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
The easiest way to explain an Ina Bauer or a Spread Eagle would be to show you a picture. Unfortunately, I have a new computer and haven't figured out how to add links to this message yet. I hope somebody else will link to some pictures for you. Meanwhile, you could try searching for those moves on Wikipedia. They have pictures with the articles.

A Spread Eagle is a move where the skater glides sideways with their feet spread apart and their toes pointing in opposite directions. It can be done on either the inside or outside edges. Usually you start by gliding foward on the foot that's going in the direction you want to go, then turn sideways and place the other foot where it belongs. Brian Boitano was one skater that was known for his spread eagles.

An Ina Bauer was named after the skater who made the move famous. The feet are pointed in opposite directions like the spread eagle, but the front leg is bent at the knee like a lunge. These can be done with both feet on inside edges, or with the front foot on an outside edge and the back foot on an inside edge. Ladies often lay back with their upper bodies while doing Ina Bauers. Shizuka Arakawa was known for her layback Ina Bauer.

Counters and rockers are kinds of turns. They are based on three turns and brackets. A three turn is a turn on one foot that turns into the circle and changes edge. A bracket turns out of the circle and changes edge. Counters and rockers do not change edge - you go from inside to inside or outside to outside. The rocker starts like a three turn by turning into the circle, while the counter starts like a bracket by turning out of the circle. Again, the easiest way to explain it would be to draw you a picture of the tracing the blade makes on the ice, but I don't know how to link to it. Search for Rocker Turn or Counter Turn in Wikipedia, and they'll show you a drawing. Maybe someone else can post the links.

I looked at the pics and the skater skates sideways with both moves. Is the only difference with the Spread-Eagle is a bent leg?

FSWer
03-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Click on the pictures to start the videos for the Bauer and Spreadeagle.

Ina Bauer:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_g_bauer.htm

Spreadeagle:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_g_spreadeagle.htm

Illustrations of one-foot Turns (including Counters and Rockers):
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_turns_1_foot.htm
(no video, sorry)

Can someone please post a Rocker?

drskater
03-28-2010, 03:06 PM
One Bent (leading) leg = Bauer; GOOD spread eagle = straight legs

techskater
03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Can someone please post a Rocker?

If you view the videos I posted, I gave you times with rockers and counters

techskater
03-28-2010, 07:15 PM
In addition to the excellent explanations and links posted above, I’d like to add that all of these turns involve solid upper body control. Beginners tend to overthink what they’re doing with their feet, but it’s really the shoulders and arms that “turn” the turn. Equally important is the “check” following the turn because it stops the rotation.

Actually, the arms and shoulders should NEVER make the turn, the core should make the turn. If you are using your shoulders, they aren't correct. My secondary coach has been "unteaching" my use of upper body on various turns.

FSWer
03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Actually, the arms and shoulders should NEVER make the turn, the core should make the turn. If you are using your shoulders, they aren't correct. My secondary coach has been "unteaching" my use of upper body on various turns.

So for example on a spin I would use my core,right? What is your core BTW.?

drskater
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Your core is simply your torso, though the term really refers to the mid third, from the diaphram to the lower abdominals (the area at the top of your hip bones). Yes, you need a strong core to spin, in the sense that while you're rotating you lift your diaphram "off" your belly and tighten your abs at the same time.

Thanks for the point about the core during turns. Turns require good oblique muscle control, which is, indeed, in the core. Shoulders and arms "counter" the rotation and you hold them into or outside the circle.

FSWer
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Your core is simply your torso, though the term really refers to the mid third, from the diaphram to the lower abdominals (the area at the top of your hip bones). Yes, you need a strong core to spin, in the sense that while you're rotating you lift your diaphram "off" your belly and tighten your abs at the same time.

Thanks for the point about the core during turns. Turns require good oblique muscle control, which is, indeed, in the core. Shoulders and arms "counter" the rotation and you hold them into or outside the circle.

That means I turn with my..waist,right?