View Full Version : Ice time in NYC for those without cars

skaterly
03-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Hi,

I've been lurking for a couple weeks and figured I'd finally join up, so hello! I used to skate when I was younger but I've spent a few years off the ice and I want to get back into it. I'm in the NYC area without a car, unfortunately, so the NJ or upstate rinks are out. I've been looking through the archives here, but most of the threads I've found on NYC rinks are older. I've also done some research on my own- does anyone have any opinions on World Ice or City Ice? How about Aviator? They seem much less expensive than Chelsea Piers. How crowded are the early morning freestyle sessions? How about the morning public sessions? Are there club discounts? I know that some rinks where I used to skate offered ice time in exchange for serving as a monitor or for helping teach Learn-to-Skate- does anyone happen to know if rinks around here do the same?

Also, how much does coaching run around here? Any recommendations for specific coaches? I'm probably not going to get a coach right away-I'm going to hope my body still remembers some of what I used to know!-but I'd love to start the search earlier rather than later. (To go along with that- how are the group lessons at any of these rinks? I know some programs take younger skaters through axels and into doubles-do they also do this with adults?)

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, sorry! I'm trying to keep it brief but I'm really nervous! (One more, I swear this is the last one- did anyone else come back to skating? Did the jumps and spins and moves come back easily or was it a struggle? I'm really scared I'm not going to be able to do anything anymore!)

Thanks so much. I've learned so much just lurking and reading the forums these past few weeks and everyone on here is such an inspiration!

herniated
03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Can't answer some of your questions related to clubs at the NYC rinks ect. But I did skate at World ice and it is very nice there. Clean, and as far as I know accessible by public transportation. I've never skated at City.

dbny
03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
AVIATOR Info:

How crowded are the early morning freestyle sessions? How about the morning public sessions?
Morning sessions begin at 11 AM and are usually pretty empty.

Are there club discounts?

Not at the moment, but there are excellent discounts on bulk freestyle cards.

I know that some rinks where I used to skate offered ice time in exchange for serving as a monitor or for helping teach Learn-to-Skate- does anyone happen to know if rinks around here do the same?

Staff coaches skate for free any time. I'll send you a PM about the coaching details there.

Also, how much does coaching run around here?

Private lessons begin at $40/half hour. Each coach sets her/his own rate.

Any recommendations for specific coaches?

See your PM's

(To go along with that- how are the group lessons at any of these rinks? I know some programs take younger skaters through axels and into doubles-do they also do this with adults?)

See your PM's

skaterly
03-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Thank you so, so much for taking the time to read through my post and help me out. I'm definitely going to try to make it out to both rinks soon. (Still recovering from a sprained ankle, but hopefully I'll get the okay from the doctor in the next few weeks!)