View Full Version : Skater(s) before your time that you wish you could have seen skate.

FSWer
03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
O-K. This is probably going to be a hard one to do. But we will give it a try. I've asked you what skaters you HAVE seen skate,what skaters you would LOVE to see skate. As well as JUST what skaters you wish you HAD seen skate in genual.....NOW I want you to tell me what skater(s) that skated before YOUR TIME (before you were born), you wish you could have seen skate. Please include their Discipline. For me since I've mentioned them in another thread,and they did skate at least in the 60's, and are now both gone. I will say...Eva Pawlik and Rudi Seeliger (Pairs). I was born in 1967,and surely WISH I COULD have seen them skate. Anyone else?

Johnny_Fever
03-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Sonja Henie?

MQSeries
03-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Janet Lynn. When I see her programs on utube now I just don't get the hype, but I'm sure if I had watched her skating live in the 70s I would probably have felt differently.

Sonja Henie would have been neat to see live competitively. In her movies it looked like all she did was run on her toe picks a lot, a cheated axel, sit spin and scratch spin. How was she able to construct a 4 minutes program out of those?

I guess all the Olympic greats: Dick Button, Gillas Stratform (sp?), etc.

GoSveta
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
For women... Beatrix (Trixie) Schuba in school figures. Also, Peggy Flemming, so I could fall asleep during her FS.

Toller Cranston and John Curry for men. Such well defined styles of skating, and I love Curry for spinning in both directions :P His positions were to die for, as well.

Johnny_Fever
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Toller Cranston and John Curry for men. Such well defined styles of skating, and I love Curry for spinning in both directions :P Yup, saw them both live on Broadway in different shows.

His positions were to die for, as well.Not so much during school figures at the '75 Worlds in Colorado Springs. But figures are all about what you leave behind on the ice, not your positions.

drskater
03-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Toller Cranston, before he turned into Iggy Pop. Also, Charlie Tickner and the Protopopovs and Janet Lynn, of course. I DID actually see Karen Magnunssen in the Ice Capades when I was a little girl. Like a lot of people here, I would've loved to have seen my Coach skate during her heyday.