View Full Version : Could someone explain testing levels to me? :/

ktm
03-16-2010, 10:50 PM
It's all so confusing! I understand that there are things like Snowplow Sam, Basics, Freestyle, etc., and that you gradually advance and progress through them, but I don't quite understand much more. I have read many things online that have tried to explain this, but for some reason I can never quite understand it or figure out what it all means for me.

I am 18, and although I have just started skating, would like to be competitive. I really really love it, and I'm willing to put in the time and effort to get as far in the sport as I feasibly can. Adult tracks have a minimum age 21.. does that mean I'll be forced to wait three years to take tests, or that I'll just be testing with young kids on the more standard track?
Could anyone tell me what tests I should be taking?

Clarice
03-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Okay, I'll try. Ask questions about anything you don't understand, and people will elaborate further.

In US Figure Skating, there are a number of different levels. The Basic Skills levels refer to the Learn to Skate program. Snowplow Sam 1, 2, and 3 are for preschoolers. Basic 1 through 8 teach things like stroking, gliding on 2 feet and 1 foot, skating backwards, crossovers, basic edges and turns, and the beginnings of jumps and spins. These are followed by the Free Skate levels 1 through 6, which advance on these skills. At the end of Free Skate 6 the skater can walk through an axel jump, has the basics of a one foot spin, and can do simple footwork. These levels are tested informally by the instructor in order to advance from one level to the next. This program is not required, although obviously a skater has to learn these skills whether they're in a formal Learn to Skate program or not. It is possible to begin with a private coach from the start, or to switch to private coaching at any point. Many skaters use the Basic Skills program because group instruction is more economical at the beginning, or because they're not interested in pursuing more than recreational skating.

A skater who wants to compete must at some point begin taking the formal USFS tests. On the standard track, there are 8 levels: Pre-Preliminary, Preliminary, Pre-Juvenile, Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice, Junior, and Senior. These levels are tested formally, before official USFS judges. First one passes the Moves in the Field test at a particular level, and then the Free Skating test. You cannot take a Free Skating test without first passing the corresponding Moves test, but you can continue advancing in the Moves levels even if you never take the Free Skating tests. Ice dancers and Synchro skaters, for instance, would not be required to take Free Skating tests, although they could if they wanted to. Because of your age, you could not compete on the standard track until you attained the Novice level. (Or, rather, you couldn't compete at qualifying competitions like Regionals until that level. At nonqualifying club competitions, you could compete at lower levels.) This would mean you'd need all your double jumps, and be working on a double axel and triples. This is not likely to happen for someone first starting out at age 18.

You will more likely be pursuing the Adult track. These levels are Pre-Bronze, Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Like the standard track, each level has first a Moves test, then a Free test. When a skater passes the Gold level, they can move over to the standard test track at Intermediate. Adult skaters who move beyond Gold compete at Masters Intermediate, Masters Novice, Masters Junior, or Masters Senior.

As you have noted, the adult track begins at age 21. You can begin testing on the standard track, and then cross over to the adult track when you turn 21. The Rule Book tells you what adult level you belong at based on what standard tests you have passed. As far as competition goes, it's going to be a bit tricky at the beginning for you. Club competitions group skaters by age, but unless there are other teen beginners, you could find yourself in a group with 6 year olds. Some competitions offer "young adult" categories - look for those if possible. There are competitive oppportunities available for all skaters, though, from the Basic Skills levels on up.

If I were you, I'd probably start in a group lesson program to learn the very basics, because it's more cost effective. No need to pay private coaching fees to learn how to glide! At the point you want to start advancing faster, switch to private instruction. By that time, you'll have an idea of who the instructors at your rink are, and who you might want to have as a coach. Whether you begin by taking some standard tests or not, aim for the adult track tests so that you can compete against other adults as soon as you are able. There are competitions especially for adults - I just got back from Adult Sectionals, and will be going to Adult Nationals next month. It's a whole lot of fun!

blue111moon
03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
If you've just started skating, be aware that there are are lot of levels in Basic Skills and Free Skate to get through BEFORE you get to the point of deciding whether to go the Standard or Adult test route. So you could very well be 21 before you have to decide which way to go.

The best thing is to take group lessons for as long as you can to build up your basic skills and make sure you have a solid foundation. It will make the higher tests much easier in the long run.

Skittl1321
03-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Another thing to think about is that the Free Skate levels don't necessarily come before the USFSA "official" tests. By the time you pass freeskate 1 you should be able to start preparing for the pre-pre moves test. By the time you are in freeskate 3 or so, you will be more than ready for the freeskate test.

The last levels of freeskate have moves on them from the pre-juv MITF test. Most of the kids at our rink do them concurrently- doing the freeskate levels in group classes, but focusing on USFSA testing in private lessons.

It's a confusing system for sure.

Isk8NYC
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Another thing to think about is that the Free Skate levels don't necessarily come before the USFSA "official" tests. By the time you pass freeskate 1 you should be able to start preparing for the pre-pre moves test. By the time you are in freeskate 3 or so, you will be more than ready for the freeskate test. Excellent point.

IMO, the USFSA Basic Skills ADULT tests don't prepare you for the Standard or Adult Track tests as well as the Basic 1-8 and Freeskate 1-6. To me, the Basic Skills Adult tests focus more on moves or dance elements without actually teaching you the moves patterns or dances.

If you have a choice, stick with the Basic/Freeskate curriculum for group lessons, even if it means skating with the kiddies.

TreSk8sAZ
03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Adult tracks have a minimum age 21.. does that mean I'll be forced to wait three years to take tests, or that I'll just be testing with young kids on the more standard track?

Also, what people haven't fully explained are the formal test procedures.

I started seriousy skating at 19 years old. I took three group classes, then switched to private lessons. At that time the adult age was 25. I did (and continue to do) almost exclusively standard track testing. I competed with the kids until I turned 21, the year they changed the requirements for adult.

The official USFSA tests are done by yourself on the ice. At the pre-pre level for moves in the field, they may do what's called double-paneling, where two people take the same test at the same time. I have never seen more than 3 people on the ice at any one time doing this (and 3 is rare).

For the most part, you will not be testing with the kids. There is a standard passing mark that you must meet (for example, an average of 2.0 on each element). That is the same as the kids mark, but anyone taking that test would have to pass that mark. But you likely will not be on the ice at the same time as the young children except for maybe your first moves test.

Mrs Redboots
03-17-2010, 01:09 PM

Which country are you in, as the rules differ from country to country! However, your teachers will know what you need to do to get you through the basic learn-to-skate tests, whatever these involve in your country (in the UK and USA these are judged by your teachers, who pass you on to the next level if you have mastered the required skills), and on to the national-level tests, which are judged by an external judge or judges and for which you are held to nationally-agreed standards.

Skittl1321
03-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Which country are you in, as the rules differ from country to country!

I think most people assumed US because she used the phrase Snowplow Sam (which is trademarked to USFSA). BTW- I don't think anyone mentioned Snowplow Sam to the original poster. That's levels just for toddlers.

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
BTW- I don't think anyone mentioned Snowplow Sam to the original poster. That's levels just for toddlers.
Unless, of course, you have acquired your knowledge of skating from the film Ice Princess! :lol:

Skittl1321
03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Unless, of course, you have acquired your knowledge of skating from the film Ice Princess! :lol:

Excellent point!

ktm
03-21-2010, 09:04 PM
It's a confusing system for sure.

Amen. And thank all of you for being so patient. I want to learn, and I don't want to remain ignorant of the system.

Let me try to re-iterate some information (and ask some more questions) to make sure I understand it. Please tell me if I’m wrong about anything!

It isn’t required to go through any sort of testing as I progress through Basic 1-8 and Free Skate 1-6, and.. when someone claims to be on Basic 4 or Free Skate 2, that’s *technically* just in their/their coach’s opinion about moves they have adequately mastered?
There have been Basic Skills competitions at my local ice rink.. and I guess that’s what has confused me big-time about testing on those levels.

As far as the standard testing track from Pre-P to Senior, though, does age matter at all? Could I theoretically be something in the ballpark of 50 years old and begin testing on the Pre-P level?
Also.. because I can’t enter into qualifying competitions because of my age until Novice, as long as I do the MITF tests for Pre-P through Novice, do I need to even bother with Free Skating tests? Actually.. as long as I have a coach and am good enough, could I theoretically just start testing in general at a Juvenile or Intermediate level?

Is there any age limit on taking/passing off tests on the standard track? Would it be possible for an older person (i.e. 30+) to compete at the standard Senior level?

Skittl1321
03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
It isn’t required to go through any sort of testing as I progress through Basic 1-8 and Free Skate 1-6, and.. when someone claims to be on Basic 4 or Free Skate 2, that’s *technically* just in their/their coach’s opinion about moves they have adequately mastered? No, there is no formal testing. You can be informally passed by your coach, passed by a strict LTS program that runs its own internal tests, or pity passed by a LTS program who wants to keep your business so they keep moving you up in the levels. Just a bit of advice- don't let them move you up until you feel you've mastered the level, or know you'll practice on your own. Most people think once they move beyond the level they are done with it, and usually more practice on it is needed.
There have been Basic Skills competitions at my local ice rink.. and I guess that’s what has confused me big-time about testing on those levels. Basic skills competitions are usually honor system if you go through another rink (though not with ISI- even the lowest level tests- though "opinion of the coach" are registered with the organization. The USFSA basic skills aren't officially registered. In your own rink, they generally know what level you are. Just FYI- you compete the level you passed most of the time, not the level you are currently registered to learn.

As far as the standard testing track from Pre-P to Senior, though, does age matter at all? Nope, age only matters for adult track. Could I theoretically be something in the ballpark of 50 years old and begin testing on the Pre-P level? Yep.
Also.. because I can’t enter into qualifying competitions because of my age until Novice, as long as I do the MITF tests for Pre-P through Novice, do I need to even bother with Free Skating tests? You could- but after awhile moves starts to feel like a brick wall, so working on the freeskate tests could be fun too. But if you are waiting to compete as an adult, don't over test freeskate- it would be better to work on moves, and then enter adult levels where you compete against other adult test skaters, and not adults who usually skated as kids (starting at the intermediate level is when that tends to happen) Actually.. as long as I have a coach and am good enough, could I theoretically just start testing in general at a Juvenile or Intermediate level? Nope. You gotta pass all the tests. But if you're really good enough, you can take all the tests the same day. However, if you don't pass one, you generally lose the money on all the higher level tests, since then you can't take one.

Is there any age limit on taking/passing off tests on the standard track? Nope. But you already know about the age restrictions for competing Would it be possible for an older person (i.e. 30+) to compete at the standard Senior level? Yeah- and it sometimes happens. But those people are usually the ones who have been in it since they were 8 and just stuck around. Getting to senior just starting at 18 would be really hard- being competitive much much harder. But you know what- if I EVER make it to qualifying level tests, I'm going to compete at Regionals, even if it means coming in last. There is a rule that you can't compete qualifying and adult in the same year- so Olympians can't join us at Adult Nationals- but after they retire, they could...

phoenix
03-21-2010, 09:25 PM
It isn’t required to go through any sort of testing as I progress through Basic 1-8 and Free Skate 1-6, and.. when someone claims to be on Basic 4 or Free Skate 2, that’s *technically* just in their/their coach’s opinion about moves they have adequately mastered?

That's right. Although, if they're in structured classes, they have to pass a test (conducted by their instructor) by doing all the required elements in that level satisfactorily.

As far as the standard testing track from Pre-P to Senior, though, does age matter at all? Could I theoretically be something in the ballpark of 50 years old and begin testing on the Pre-P level?

Yes, many adults test on the standard track, whatever their age.

Also.. because I can’t enter into qualifying competitions because of my age until Novice, as long as I do the MITF tests for Pre-P through Novice, do I need to even bother with Free Skating tests?

You can take as many moves tests as you want to--and you are never *required* to take the corresponding FS test. You may want to, just for the experience of doing it.

Actually.. as long as I have a coach and am good enough, could I theoretically just start testing in general at a Juvenile or Intermediate level?

No. You have to start at pre-pre and test through the levels, being passed by certified USFSA judges. When you are testing on the USFSA track, you cannot be tested by your coach--it has to be by an appointed judge (or panel of judges)

Is there any age limit on taking/passing off tests on the standard track? Would it be possible for an older person (i.e. 30+) to compete at the standard Senior level?

No age limits. Theoretically it is possible for a 30+ skater to compete at the senior level. The senior FS test only requires a double lutz and 2 double/double combinations to pass. Of course, to be at all competitive at the senior level, you need triples, not doubles.

You may find this website helpful: www.sk8stuff.com. In their "Rules & Regulations" section you'll find all the test requirements. And they have tons of other great info too.

TreSk8sAZ
03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Also.. because I can’t enter into qualifying competitions because of my age until Novice, as long as I do the MITF tests for Pre-P through Novice, do I need to even bother with Free Skating tests?

Yes and no. If you want to compete, you must pass both the MITF test AND the FS test for that level. You must pass the MITF test before you can take the FS test at that level. However, you don't have to take one level's FS test to do the next higher MITF test. You also must follow the levels in order.

For example, you could work on and pass pre-pre through novice MITF without taking any FS tests. But if you want to compete, you'd have to pass the FS test for that level. You could (theoretically) have passed novice MITF but compete pre-pre or preliminary because that's the highest FS test you've taken.

phoenix
03-21-2010, 09:53 PM
For example, you could work on and pass pre-pre through novice MITF without taking any FS tests. But if you want to compete, you'd have to pass the FS test for that level. You could (theoretically) have passed novice MITF but compete pre-pre or preliminary because that's the highest FS test you've taken.

Which is actually what most people do. I have one student who's just about ready to test Intermediate moves, but is just now moving up to Preliminary for her competition level.

ktm
03-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Ahhh... I see. After so many nights spent lurking around the internet trying to figure this stuff out, things are finally coming together :)

A few things struck me as odd while reading the responses, though, so I have two final questions..
If there are a sizable number of adults who still move through the standard testing track, what is the purpose of the adult?? I think I understand the need for separate adult competitions, but not for testing.

And finally.. why would it be so difficult for an adult to learn triples? I feel like I'm always reading that those who start after puberty are at a sizable disadvantage. Is it because they have less physical ability to develop those skills or less free time to develop them?

jp1andOnly
03-21-2010, 11:45 PM
ktm...

I'm from Canada and we dont have a seperate adult test...we test with the kids. Many adults get stuck and I mean STUCK at an axel. So when testing standard track, the next level in Canada after junior bronze is senior bronze and you must have 2 doubles plus an axel. If you are stuck on the axel you can never pass this level. The adult track is a little easier so there is the ability to test pass silver into gold. If I were to move to the US with my junior bronze canada test I would automatically be able to skate gold.

As for why adults can do triples. There are many factors. First off, it takes many years to learn the basics of skating. We are not kids and we learn things slower. Secondaly is time. Competitive kids will skate 5-6 days a week and train for 3-6 hours a day. As an adult it is impossible to do this. A little thing called job and/or education gets in the way. Third, many adults also have kids. That in itself changes your body. Lastly, is mental. Kids will jump..you tell them to jump high and they will. Adults like to know exactly what their body is going to do, how high, how much force. We can process things better then the kids which in itself creates fear. Many adults dont want to fall and when you dont fall it makes learning harder things even more difficult. Many of us...me included...has a mind that doesnt stop working. Learning the axel was hard because i knew exactly what to do technically but found it difficult to translate that on the ice. Adults are really complicated :P

Ahhh... I see. After so many nights spent lurking around the internet trying to figure this stuff out, things are finally coming together :)

A few things struck me as odd while reading the responses, though, so I have two final questions..
If there are a sizable number of adults who still move through the standard testing track, what is the purpose of the adult?? I think I understand the need for separate adult competitions, but not for testing.

And finally.. why would it be so difficult for an adult to learn triples? I feel like I'm always reading that those who start after puberty are at a sizable disadvantage. Is it because they have less physical ability to develop those skills or less free time to develop them?

phoenix
03-21-2010, 11:51 PM

I don't know the actual numbers of who tests adult track vs. standard, but there truly is a need for the adult test track. The adult tests are easier to pass, there are less elements to learn, and for people who start skating as adults, many cannot pass the standard track tests. There is some discussion that the tests should be the same for both standard & adult, but with the required score needed to pass lower for the adult track. However I don't think there's any serious work being done to try to make that happen.

Several things at play here......First of all, it is astronomically difficult for *anyone* to learn triples, let alone if you haven't spent most of your life in skates. The skill and timing required to do them successfully takes years and years to develop. Plus the sheer physical strength, perfect timing, etc, make it a rare skater indeed who can put it all together into triple jumps.

Secondly, yes, time is a huge factor. Skaters doing triples are typically skating 2+ hours a day with several hours of lesson time per week to go with that. The cost and time commitment are huge.

And thirdly, yes, your body does slow down and injuries take longer to heal as you get older. This varies widely for everyone, and also it makes a huge difference what kind of off-ice training they do, how flexible they are, etc.

So to sum up, achieving triple jumps is a hugely daunting task for even a 16 year old kid--for an adult with a job/family/limited time & $$, it's highly unlikely.

That being said, there have been a few adult onset skaters who have landed a triple jump or two--the one I'm thinking of specifically was still quite young (20's) and had been a high level gymnast before turning to skating.

Query
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
>Posted by Skittl1321
>I don't think anyone mentioned Snowplow Sam to the original poster.
>That's levels just for toddlers.

>Posted by Mrs. Redboots
>Unless, of course, you have acquired your knowledge of skating
>from the film Ice Princess!

Play fair! The group lesson class on Ice Princess was not for Snowplow Sam level skaters, and maybe not for LTS or Basic 8 skaters at all. If I remember right, the students were all fairly skilled skaters - mostly the coach's private lesson students.

Anyway, O.P., unless you've had extensive prior training in something related, like dance or gymnastics, as an 18 year old, you would have trouble competing seriously against people who started as kids, though I believe one 2010 Olympic skater started at 12 or 14. There are less elite level competitions for those who started as adults, if that appeals to you. Some people who start as adults can eventually coach, but you probably shouldn't expect to reach the level at which you can make money through endorsements - even most of those who start as kids can't do that. To the contrary, skating lessons and ice time will cost you more money than most sports, and working around an adult schedule to make use of available skating sessions can be hard.

Once you have tested anything at a "higher" level, you can't go back and test (or compete?) at a Basic 8 level. For example, if you pass even one Ice Dance Preliminary test, you can't do Basic 8, though the skills are completely different - no spins or jumps in Preliminary Ice Dance. That's my situation. I'd love to take the higher Basic 8 level classes.

The ISI (as opposed to the USFSA) runs a mostly separate set of tests and competitions, though most rinks only run group lessons for one or the other.

Skittl1321
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
For example, if you pass even one Ice Dance Preliminary test, you can't do Basic 8, though the skills are completely different - no spins or jumps in Preliminary Ice Dance. That's my situation. I'd love to take the higher Basic 8 level classes.

You could certainly take the classes even if you've had a test. There are no restrictions for entering a class.

As for competition, you're right and "official" test generally bars you from competing in Basic Skills (though check the announcement, and ask the competition chair- that varys by club) you could certainly compete in the "no test" adult level, which are generally adults below Pre-Bronze. Pre-Bronze is pretty simple as far as freestyle skills go, so those in "No Test" are going to be basic skills level (but not wanting to enter "basic skills" as there are generally not adult levels and who wants to compete against a 5 year old?)

Query
03-23-2010, 07:45 AM
You could certainly take the classes even if you've had a test.

Not at the rink I checked with. I forget the issue, but I think there was a rule that said you had to pass each test before you could go on to the next class - and the rules say I can't take the test. I'm not sure if that is a USFSA rule or a rink rule.

As for the ban on competing against kids, I have no interest in competing anyway. Lots of 5 year olds who could skate rings around me.

phoenix
03-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Not at the rink I checked with. I forget the issue, but I think there was a rule that said you had to pass each test before you could go on to the next class - and the rules say I can't take the test. I'm not sure if that is a USFSA rule or a rink rule.

It's certainly not a USFSA rule! Weird--very weird!

drskater
03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
O.P., have you talked to your coach about your ambitions? Your coach will tailor your lessons according to your wish to compete and test if that’s what you want to do with your skating. Personally, I think it’s great for adults to test – it makes you work on skills that many “skate for fun” people avoid. We’ve got several adults at our rink who are hard-working and great skaters, but who consider tests anathema. This kind of approach can lead to skaters who can do camels, but not backwards inside edges.

Most adults strive to land a clean axel – the jump is that difficult to learn. If you get there, consider it a major achievement and be super proud of yourself. That’s a lofty but feasible goal and for adults, it’s our “triple.”

Tangentially, I really believe that the lust for triples as a sign of success has got way out of hand. You can be a beautiful and accomplished skater without them – look at the fabulous skaters of the 1970s, for example. The pursuit of triples and the IJS) has resulted in a lot of funky skating, not to mention completely unrealistic expectations for young competitors.

techskater
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM

I think some people may have missed the intent of this question, but IF you wish to compete you must take the appropriate FS test. MITF test is required and will preclude you from taking the FS test, but competitive level is determined by your FS test.

For example, I have passed my Adult Gold FS test and my Intermediate MIF. For qualifying competition I skate at the Adult Gold level. My next test could either be the Intermediate FS test (if I would like to move up to Masters Intermediate/Novice) or the Novice MIF test. If I take the Intermediate FS test next, before I can take my Novice FS test, I must pass the Novice MIF test.

falen
03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry to hijack, but can someone explain the dirrerence between a MIF test and FS test. I you-tubed and there are so many MTF videos out there, but no the FS, or maybe there are but I'm just too skating challenged to know the difference. Thanks

Skittl1321
03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
MITF is Moves in the Field. For USFSA these are set footwork patterns at each level.

FS is Freeskate (Freestyle?)- except at the preliminary/pre-bronze level (where you just do the elements) these are skating programs. Each level has required elements, but you can put them in any order you want. This will look like a competition program, although generally a test program is easier than a competition program at the same level.

phoenix
03-25-2010, 11:14 AM
FS= Free skate. If you search on youtube, for example, for pre-preliminary freeskate, you should get lots of results.