View Full Version : Forcefield Head Protection Review

AgnesNitt
03-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I ordered the Forcefield Headband and it arrived Friday. Skated with it today.

It looks like a headband from the 80's with a terry shell (comes in many colors). Inside the headband at the front and back is an insert of a stiffish foam. The protective foam (according to the website) has been tested at up to 250G's. That sounds impressive, but (shrug) I don't know how they tested, so it could mean anything.

The foam is a less than a half inch thick but is covered by thick terry. The headband appears to have been designed for soccer and basketball not figure skating.

You have to position the headband so it covers the vulnerable area of your head. The sides of the head band has no protective insert.

Recommendation: Well, I don't think it would do for jumps. But for a low level skater who doesn't get much speed (like myself) or a child who may go fast but doesn't weigh very much and who doesn't want to wear a helmet anymore, it might be sufficient, I would say it's okay for someone who has some skating experience and knows how to fall--in that case it adds a little extra protection.

I plan to fold it in half so it's doubled and tack it into the back of my knit cap. That will make it over an inch in thickness and I think will give me some more confidence in my backwards skating. I'm waiting for the Ice Halo to arrive.

AgnesNitt
03-15-2010, 03:35 AM
I just wanted to add that this head band is no replacement for a helmet. It's more a tool to help reduce the pain of a light bump. I wouldn't trust it for any major protection.

kssk8fan
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
have you looked into the "ice halo" www.icehalo.com

I have never seen these in person. Just know some people have discussed them. Seems that they are made from foam as well though.

sk8joyful
03-15-2010, 02:07 PM

From the site, quote: "The ICE HALO™ is a protective head band made of a closed cell, light weight foam..., cost $40"

Depending on a skater's speed, & therefore force, including on impact, how would this head-band even stay on?, and given it's "light weight foam", how much protection? could one expect? - As a skater, I think these are worthwhile questions, what do you think?

I have worked in ICU, & tell raw-beginners (particularly ones who will 'NOT yet' bend their knees as they'd be wise) skating all the time: "unless splitting your head open is your cup of tea, Wear a padded helmet of hard-plastic, & BEND your knees" - they say: "Yeah, the teacher already told us, but it's hard!" - I respond: "No, considering nasty-consequences, these 2 safety-measures are actually quite Easy ;), so PLEASE heed :!: them"

Anybody, more skilled than me on ice, wanna add further insight?

Isk8NYC
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I swear every time a young beginner (5-12) insists on not needing a helmet, they take a header into the wall or onto the ice. The more they argue, the harder the fall.

I'm adamant about toddlers and very young kids wearing helmets up to Basic 3/4. Sometimes, I wear my bike helmet when teaching just to coax them.

Children were top-heavy and that's what hits the ice first when they wobble backwards. The younger skaters who whack their heads end up HATING the teacher, the lessons, and just being in the rink. You know they're going to fall, why set them up for a worst-case scenario?

I wear a thick fleece headband at times. I wear it for warmth, but the coolest feature is that there's an opening at the back. I guess people thought it was a defect, which is how it ended up at FiveBelow for $3, but the opening's actually for a ponytail to slip through. It holds my earbuds in place while I skate or spin, so I bought a second one to match my coaching jacket.

I've hit my head three times on the ice, each time at the crown on the back of my skull. I'm not certain that a headband alone will protect that spot, but it sure couldn't hurt.

Skittl1321
03-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Depending on a skater's speed, & therefore force, including on impact, how would this head-band even stay on?, and given it's "light weight foam", how much protection? could one expect? - As a skater, I think these are worthwhile questions, what do you think?

Based on all the curling references on their website, I don't think it's made to sustain the impact a figure skater might have if moving at full speed.

However, it seems most of the time I fall badly, it's from a complete standstill, or moving rather slowly, a fall a curler might also have. I haven't hit my head yet though I'm terrified of when the time might come.

Helmets are very common on the under 5 crowd at my rink. A teenager or an adult wearing one- not unless you're gripping the wall in utter fear. I wish helmets were as common in figure skating as in something like hockey, but sadly I just don't see it happening, and i'm not one to start a trend :(

AgnesNitt
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM

I have never seen these in person. Just know some people have discussed them. Seems that they are made from foam as well though.

Yes, It's supposed to arrive this week. I ordered both at the same time.

SkaterBird
03-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I have an Ice Halo and I love it. It is made from a good quality density foam which is lightweight but absorbs impact very well. It is considerably thicker than the ForceField headband and protects all the way around. And it looks good too - no one who asks me about it asks if it is for head protection - they just ask me where I got the neat looking hat. Added bonus - it is warm, and it keeps my hair out of my face. I always wear it unless I am either testing or competing, and I feel much more secure with it in place.