View Full Version : Boots causing pain - help!

BlueSkate
03-13-2010, 02:42 AM
A bit of back story: I skated as a kid, gave up for 10 years and came back a year ago. In May last year I found out that my old skates were 1 1/2 sizes too big, most likely because the fitter wanted to put me in Risports but I have really wide feet.

I went to a new fitter who recommended a wide fit Riedell but they were far too narrow and crushed my toes together. I took them back and he ordered a "custom" boot from Riedell which was supposed to be based on measurements and tracings of my feet. He told me that they should be able to do different widths (one foot is a size wider) and even called the Riedell rep while I was there to confirm.

I was expecting one boot to be a D/B and the other E/B but when the boots arrived in November they were just a mens wide in white! I spoke to the Riedell rep who told me that they had ordered the best fit stock boot and that counts as custom for them because they had to change the colour. They didn't hurt and I was so desperate for new boots at the time that I just took them.

I've now broken them in and they have started to cause me pain. The right boot was slightly loose to begin with but as the padding has flattened it has become a lot worse. My foot is constantly moving around in the boot and it doesn't feel overly secure on jump landings. The last few times I've had them on it has felt like my foot is rolling within the boot, like the motion of going onto an outside edge but without the skate itself moving.

I couldn't land jumps without pain yesterday and when I got off the ice I found a lump of hard skin that is painful to touch on the ball of my foot just below my big toe. I'm assuming it's just a callous, but if it is then I can't really continue to wear my boots as they are without making it worse or potentially causing other problems.

I've tried wearing two socks/a sock over thick tights and adding a thicker insole, and I've ordered heel grips which should arrive on Monday. The insole caused my arches to cramp because I need the height in the boot, socks stop my foot moving a little but I still need to tighten the boot to the point of cramp to keep it still.

Sorry for such a long post, I'm not very good at keeping things concise. I'm looking for anything that can be of help - ways to make the boot fit, how to stop my foot hurting and if there's anything that I can do about being sold a custom boot that doesn't even fit!
I know it has been several months but when I got the boots I didn't know just how much the padding would compress and that has only just happened.

sarahspins
03-13-2010, 10:47 AM
The right boot was slightly loose to begin

This, IMO, should have been a HUGE red flag from the start... skates should fit snugly, and Reidells are often quite tight before the padding compresses. If it wasn't a good fit to begin with, it will only continue to get worse, as I'm sure you're realizing.

I don't know what to suggest you try, other than maybe adding something like a boot bumper to "fill out" the space inside a bit more (and the achilles pad may help with the slipping a bit). You can trim sheet foam (like foamies, sold in craft stores) to take up some space under the insole (this might work better than commercial insoles, since it's firmer). If your arches need more support, add arch supports (these are usually sold almost everywhere.. they're just the arch portion itself, and usually self adhesive, you can figure out where it needs to go before sticking it down). If your boots are heat moldable, get them re-molded after you add anything.

I don't have particularly high arches but I have "long" arches and most stock insoles fall far short of the support my foot needs and it's REALLY painful on it's own without adding other problems into the mix.. I have arch supports in both of my boots as well as a post wedge since I pronate more on the right side. Metatarsal pads inside your boots may also help, but I wouldn't suggest that unless you know you need it.

Really though, these are your feet. You'll have them for the rest of your life.. it's worth taking the time (and money) to make sure your skates are not causing harm to your feet. If you can't make a few changes that help the issues you're experiencing, it may be time to look into new boots already. If you're experiencing pain or problems without your skates on, it's time to see a doctor.

I found that Jackson's fit my wide feet the best... ironic since literally NO ONE local to me carries them (there's one fitter who can order them, but that doesn't do me much good if I can't try them on first). I drove 3 hours to a shop that literally sold "everything" and had a lot of different styles and sizes in stock.... it was worth the trip, rather than taking a gamble on what my local fitter "assumed" would work. If I'd gone with their advice I'd probably be in a boot that is actually too wide and be dealing with the same issues you are now.

kayskate
03-13-2010, 11:27 AM
First of all, no thick or double socks. If the boot is loose, take the skates to a professional fitter. Get recommendations from your coach and other skaters. You will probably need an inset of some sort in the boot to improve the fit. Thick socks will just cause more trouble.

Kay